A-10C II Iron Flag campaign demo mission

baltic_dragon

Iron%20Flag%20Square%20Logo.png

Hey guys,

I've posted it quite some time before, but now wanted to share the updated version of the first mission for the upcoming A-10C II Warthog campaign (which will also be compatible with old A-10 on release), called the Iron Flag

This project was in the making for some time with ups and downs related to real life stuff, but we're finally nearing completion of the first 11-mission part. This campaign aims at teaching you all you need to know about the Warthog from the very beginning in an entertaining and fun way. It is story driven (you are a former A-10A pilot going through upgrade training to the new Warthog), with interesting characters and lots of knowledge presented in pretty digestible (I hope!) manner. 

Grab the file HERE.

More info together with some preview videos by Bunyap can be found on  my website 

Enjoy and let me know what you think! 

• Thanks 1
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Awesome, thanks.  Can't wait for the full version

• Thanks 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Hallo BD

thank you for the Mission

i have a Problem at the Point were you Check the Lights second time and

should move the Flops from up to take off to down and back.

After this Point there is no Option to press spacebar and i cant continue

Am i doing  something wrong ?

I have tried three times. 
(Open Beta A10c ll)

thank you

Edited by rforce

AMD Ryzen 3900xt 32 Gb DDR 4 NVIDIA RTX 4070ti

Maybe he has the spacebar binded to a command on his A-10C II ?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

7 hours ago, rforce said:

No, I'm seeing the same in the latest version of the mission. It worked okay in the one I tested previously, so this seems to be a new problem. Bug report filed, marked with high priority.

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

Maybe he has the spacebar binded to a command on his A-10C II ?

In this particular case, the player has been required to press the space bar maybe a dozen times before getting to that point, so that's definitely not the culprit here. 😉

Hallo BD

thank you for the Mission
i have a Problem at the Point were you Check the Lights second time and
should move the Flops from up to take off to down and back.
I have tried three times. 
(Open Beta A10c ll)
thank you

I had same issue. I could not progress beyond this point. I do not think it is keybind issue because the spacebar worked okay prior to this point. I did the old demo mission a long time ago and everything worked good.   I would try the old mission again and see if this issue is repeated. 
Thank anyways to Baltic Dragon for the opportunity to try a demo of this long awaited training campaign.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Hi, BD! Oh, I wish I had had such an interactive, Hollywood-style campaign for beginners when I was learning the Hawg. Damn it!
I think I'll get it either way, you can never have enough campaigns.

Point 1:
Is it intentional that some voiceovers are so deeply overdriven? Some sounded very, very "sharp".

Point 2:
Now... I guess it's just me - I messed one thing up (as always!) and the rest might have been just the result of it, but just in case - my testimony from memory (I flew the mission yesterday).
Everything was fine until my lead was to land.
First he told me "roll down the runway to the very end, there's taxiway Alpha, stop there and wait for me". I did one thing wrong - I turned left to Alpha, but stopped as soon as my tail just cleared the runway, i.e. I didn't cross the holding position line (striped yellow/black). My bad. That might have been the cause for this...
My flight lead got "scared away" and went around - then I undestrood my mistake, pushed my Hawg behind the holding position line.
The lead approached again, this time landed, but turned into an "earlier" taxiway. I couldn't see clearly which one (I'm not familiar with the place), it might have been the neighbouring one to Alpha, so Bravo in such case.
I found that strange - he said he wanted me to wait for him - but okay, I just started taxiing along... Golf (was it?), far behind him.
Then he said something like "Park next to me".
I arrived at our initial parking ramp (now I can't remember its designation), one strange thing I noticed was that he parked "in reverse", i.e. facing the opposite heading from the one at the mission start. Maybe that's just how it's done, I don't know.
I did a little slalom in between trucks and all those crates/stuff tossed around the place, and I tried and parked at various places: my starting position, to the right of him, a few other places, but he stayed indifferent and didn't talk to me any more.

I wonder if anyone can mess up missions as well as I can! 😉 Sorry about that.

Regardless - great idea for a campaign! Not only for people new to the Warthog, I think, but also as a refreshment training and... I feel the Hawg has still some mysteries, some ways of utilizing its computer science / systems that I haven't thought about yet, so the campaign can teach me new things!

• Like 1

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

2 hours ago, scoobie said:

Everything was fine until my lead was to land.
First he told me "roll down the runway to the very end, there's taxiway Alpha, stop there and wait for me". I did one thing wrong - I turned left to Alpha, but stopped as soon as my tail just cleared the runway, i.e. I didn't cross the holding position line (striped yellow/black). My bad. That might have been the cause for this...

I'm not familiar with the place), it might have been the neighbouring one to Alpha, so Bravo in such case.
I found that strange - he said he wanted me to wait for him - but okay, I just started taxiing along... Golf (was it?), far behind him....

On the Kneeboard was a diagram of the Nellis Airbase:

Kneeboard_5.jpg

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

The lead approached again, this time landed, but turned into an "earlier" taxiway. I couldn't see clearly which one (I'm not familiar with the place), it might have been the neighbouring one to Alpha, so Bravo in such case.

I think that's the way it's supposed to be. As far as I know, mission designers can't control exactly which exits and which taxiways AI aircraft will take. And since the AI has some insane braking power, they always take Bravo in Nellis when coming in on 21R/L.

(Under normal circumstances, players can easily make Bravo as well, but rolling out all the way to Alpha wouldn't be wrong, either.)

I think the mission wants you to exit on Alpha so that lead stays in front of you on the way back to Thunder ramp.

I arrived at our initial parking ramp (now I can't remember its designation), one strange thing I noticed was that he parked "in reverse", i.e. facing the opposite heading from the one at the mission start. Maybe that's just how it's done, I don't know.

Again, I think that's the AI being the AI. With the big dirt walls on that ramp, it makes sense to park the aircraft facing those walls, so that any forward firing ordnance (like the gun and rockets) would go into those walls in case something went catastrophically wrong. To the best of my knowledge, that's how it's done IRL. But mission designers have almost no control over aircraft's ground movement.

but he stayed indifferent and didn't talk to me any more.

I think he'd only tell you to wait until the engines have been below a certain power setting for 5 minutes, then shut down and meet him in the debriefing.

Edited by Yurgon
Typo

Thank you, Rudel_chw! So... yep, he turned left (east) to Bravo, then left (north) to Golf. I followed him from Alpha via Golf.

Aw, thanks a lot for these explanations, Yurgon. It's really the insight noobs miss! See, when you're new to DCS you don't have a faintest idea on what's going on around, e.g. AI behaviour. Sometimes I feel like a child in the fog 😉

22 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

I think he'd only tell you to wait until the engines have been below a certain power setting for 5 minutes, then shut down and meet him in the debriefing.

That might have been it! Perhaps I should just wait for the cool-down period (yes, I remember he mentioned it) and perhaps then he'll speak. I'll fly again today, thanks! 🙂

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

12 minutes ago, scoobie said:

That might have been it! Perhaps I should just wait for the cool-down period

Nah, he should tell you that while you taxi to your parking spot, or at the latest once you arrive at your parking spot.

Sounds like maybe the trigger didn't fire and the message wasn't sent.

What I meant was: If the trigger had fired correctly, he'd have told you to wait a bit and then shut down. So you didn't miss much content. 😉

Good luck with the next attempt!

baltic_dragon

I have a suggest for you.  With the new Tank Killer, many of us are learning or relearning the A10.  To have to wait many more months for the rest of the missions is a real waste as we need them now.  What if you packaged the first 5 or 6 missions and issued them now for the full price with an understanding that the early buyers would get the rest of the missions when they are ready?  Your reputation is sufficient that most of us would not be concerned about your issuing the balance of the missions.    Your thoughts? 

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

It would be a great idea, but there is one „but”. First 11 missions will cover in great detail all of the non-combat stuff (navigation, AAR, datalink, moving map, ILS, manual reversion) plus stores management plus unguided rockets and gun delivery in different regimes, as well as A-A part. One of the reasons being that A-10C II is quite new and requires a lot of research on our part, and trust me - we go pretty deep into everything (but still keeping it fun)!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

baltic_dragon

Oh, well, guess that I will have to relearn it by myself for awhile. 

I do have one question.  On page 149 of the new manual, it states that "12. Code Dial. No function." in reference to the IFF panel.  However, in the lesson, you are told to turn the code dial to a specific letter.   The dial does turn the cockpit.   I am confused. 

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Gave this a go last night.  Very well done!  I thought the production was top-notch.  

It would appear to me that during the startup sequence there is no check in the background to confirm if the checklist item is correctly set.  Is this correct?

I look forward to the release of the full mission set.  Is there an ETA on that?

Win 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700k@4.2GHz, MSI 1080Ti , 16 GB, 500GB SSD, LG 34UM95, Acer T232HL, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

• 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, pmaura said:

why the nevada map. ugg.

why not?

4 hours ago, pmaura said:

why the nevada map.

A lot of training takes place out of Nellis in real life, not just the regular Red Flag exercises.

I guess if we had Moody AFB or Davis Monthan or Lakenheath or Spangdahlem or Kunsan, those would be equally suited for a plausible A-10A to A-10C transition, but given what we have in DCS at this point, Nellis is hitting the nail on the proverbial head, IMO.

Now that there's Guam as a free addition, it would be semi-plausible to use that, but having flown the DCS A-10C in that area for a few weeks, the lack of land mass does hinder a lot of training aspects. Plus, I doubt Baltic Dragon would want to transfer all the missions that are already in progress to an entirely different map, where many of the flight plans, mission documentation and voice overs would have to be re-done almost from scratch.

Edited by Yurgon
Corrected lists of AFBs with A-10s
  • Like 1