Can we have a Flashlight Please (for all Warbirds)

Weegie

Often when on a Multiplayer server it can be early morning or late evening (stunning clours)

The Spit has lighting but the rudder trim wheel is in the shadow and never comes out of it until the Sun rises higher. The sides of the cockpit are like a coalhole, totally black. Even when on the runway and the big spots come on the rudder trim wheel remains in darkness

If we had a flashlight for all the warbirds like the  P-47 the problem would be solved. I've often wondered why the flashlight for the Warbirds  was omitted, it's hardly because of the period. As far as I'm aware although a very limited activity, all the Warbirds did fly at night and often very early morning and late evening.

I just think it's a bit of shame and surely would be difficult to implement given the number of other modules that have it

• Like 4

No it's worth a try thanks, not holding out much hope though as until the Sun comes up the trim wheels just don't seem to get any light whatsoever

Are you referring to the in cockpit lighting? Got it turned up to max, Can these lights be turned around? I was under the impression they were fixed forward

Edited by Weegie

I wish for one in the Spit specifically. It's conspicuous by its absence. The flood lamps do not allow you to see many of the switches for manipulating them. Its a matter of moving the mouse around until it changes colour when in the dark. And I know the thing didnt do night stuff but starting pre-dawn is reasonable.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

15 hours ago, reece146 said:

Do you have a link to the mod?

Turns out it does pass IC.

It's for the huey, but the relevant line is easy to find. It's the first or second command. Copy that line to the appropriate files for other aircraft, they all work the same in this regard.

I've checked it on the spit and the 109, I assume it works the same for everything else.

Edited by Wrench
  • Thanks 2

I added this mod it was a bit quick & dirty, I just added the one line near the top for the warbirds I have.

It just adds the line to the Keyboard default.lua so can't be assigned to a button (when I added the Joystick lines to the default.lua it did wierd things to the Spitfire axis controls, I have no idea if that was just coincidence or not, but to be on the safe side I didn't bother with it)

Many thanks to both @Wrench for pointing us to it and @Holton181 for the mod in the first place, really apprreciate it.

The file adds a flashlight to the Spitfire, Dora, Anton, Kurfurst and Mustang. The P-47 already has a flashlight and I don't have the I-16

Just dump the file inside your Mods folder in OVGME then enable it and it should work.

You will need to assign a keyboard sequence (I use L_ALT L) of your choice.

The idea of this is that you can just disable during updates then enable when the update is complete

Hope it helps, any problems with it let me know it works for me

Flashlight Warbirds.zip

• Like 1

Happy to see my Huey MOD could help you with this. Strange that it caused issues when added to the joystick file.
Anyhow, the lines was taken from the default.lua files used as a foundation for many modules, located somewhere in the CoreMod folder I think (can't remember exact location, not at my computer at the moment, CoreMod might even be wrong). Code for other functions not module specific can be found in these files and most likely can be used in a similar manner as the flashlight.
  • Thanks 1

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

24 minutes ago, Holton181 said:

Happy to see my Huey MOD could help you with this. Strange that it caused issues when added to the joystick file.
Anyhow, the lines was taken from the default.lua files used as a foundation for many modules, located somewhere in the CoreMod folder I think (can't remember exact location, not at my computer at the moment, CoreMod might even be wrong). Code for other functions not module specific can be found in these files and most likely can be used in a similar manner as the flashlight.

It is very much appreciated Thank you and also good of you to post offering further tips, I need to do some digging

The spurious effects on the Axis commands  may have been nothing to do with the joystick text being added and just a coincidence (in fact I found it well strange that it happened). I never bothered invstigating further as I activate the flashlight using Voice Attack so the keyboard command is fine for me

Cheers

Edited by Weegie

• 2 years later...

Easy for you to say Doughguy 😜.

Brought me to this thread though so thanks. Well done to those that helped sort this out, I’ll have a look at it later myself. Still a part of me thinking we should all be able to start up blindfolded though. In the prop warbirds at least. Not exactly breaking anyones immersion adding a torch so all good. Reminds me of different pilots knowing their way around with their eyes closed, even after decades away from the aircraft.

Not sure if it’s just my Spitfire but I don’t think my nose trim indicator has a working bulb either? Torch very handy, cheers.

• 6 months later...

BTW - as a cleaner alternative to the mod above... (EDIT: Open Mod Manager mentioned instead of OVGME)

Recently, I was doing something similar with the missing commands in a joystick section for MiG-21 - and it was recommended to me using the Quaggle's input command injector, which I manage with OVGME. Both were new to me at that time, but it was VERY EASY and no problems with the consistency check - and even if they were OVGME makes it easy to undo.

This is usable also for this case and makes the whole thing MUCH cleaner:

1. Install Open Mod Manager https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/OVGME if you don't have it (I didn't) for better management of mods that go to your DCS installation directory. Good value proposition.
  2. Download https://github.com/Quaggles/dcs-input-command-injector mod, put it into the "mods" dir you created for OMM and enable it (this one goes into DCS installation directory).
  3. The rest happens in your Saved Games/<dcs> directory - which is a great thing. Create InputCommands\<plane>\Input\<?>\<device> directory there. The first part (InputCommands) is the root of the "patches" that Quaggles input injector uses, the rest is the structure that copies the Input file structure under <dcs-installation>\Mods\aircraft. For instance, for the Spitfire and joystick you want this structure:
    image.png
  4. I've provided an example for P-51D, just unpack it into InputCommands.
  5. The provided file DOES NOT assign the actions to the keyboard/joystick/mouse yet, although it can be done as well (providing the proper combos, I guess). However, now you can assign it in the DCS.

Works very well and it's not such a hassle as I'd expect. And the fact that it is all customizable INSIDE your Saved Games config files is a great thing, of course.

I didn't provide other warbirds... as I'm yet to configure them myself, but it is now extremely easy.

It's a shame the flashlight isn't there by default without this hassle, but I recommend this solution for any other module that doesn't bother to provide all the commands for binding - or provides them only for the keyboard and not for the joystick/mouse, and similar cases. Highly recommended.

P-51D.ZIP

Edited by virgo47

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Channel 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

24 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

OvGME has been discontinued, while it's creator has moved on and is developing Open Mod Manager. OvGME's successor. emoji6.png
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Geez, things move fast... thanks for the heads-up.

• Like 1

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Channel 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube