PhysX

zehir

Havok is not accelerated with GPU. Havok processes is run in CPU, PhysX processes is run in GPU (or old PPU of Ageia). Conclusion, Havok is not hardware accelerated, its very simple.

You can play in game with video cards (not all games), but no accelerate graphics, CPU calculate graphics. Uou install GPU (graphic acceleration card) and can play with advanced graphics.

I have no GPU. I do have software PhysX drivers installed. I can play games that use PhysX.

Before software = could not play games that use PhysX

After software = could play games that use PhysX

To me at least, if PhysX is hardware, then so is Windows XP, Solitaire, Firefox, LOMAC, World of Warcraft, etc. etc. etc. :P

You have no graphics card? ;)

Let's clarify.

Software calculated means that the graphics/physics/whatever is calculated by the computers main processor, therefore leaving less cpu time for other tasks.

Hardware calculated means that the instructions are processed by a hardware component specifically designed for that task, therefore taking some of the calculation away from the main processor and therefore leaving more cpu time for other tasks.

For instance, most 3D graphics are rendered in hardware (your graphics card) nowadays, as opposed to in the early 90's when there were no 3D graphics cards and the CPU had to do the 3D graphics calculations.

Edited by Yellonet

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

I have no GPU. I do have software PhysX drivers installed. I can play games that use PhysX.

Before software = could not play games that use PhysX

After software = could play games that use PhysX

To me at least, if PhysX is hardware, then so is Windows XP, Solitaire, Firefox, LOMAC, World of Warcraft, etc. etc. etc. :P

¿No have GPU, no have PPU, and have installed PhysX drivers? You cant play games with physics accelerations. Only you can is force CPU to use process PhysX, but its not accelerated and you is forced processes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cavallers del Cel - Comunintat Catalana de Simulació http://www.cavallersdelcel.cat

Havok is not accelerated with GPU. Havok processes is run in CPU, PhysX processes is run in GPU (or old PPU of Ageia). Conclusion, Havok is not hardware accelerated, its very simple./quote]

Sorry, but read carefully what i wrote: AMD said officially that it will accelerate HAVOK on its GPUs "as soon as it is necessary" and it is backed up by Intel (curious, isnt it;)) By now, you are right, but i can imagine that as soon as physical effects get more important (with new DirectX perhaps?) AMD will accelerate Havok on its GPUs.

And BTW what is a CPU other than a piece of Hardware ;)? Get the point?

S~

"Helicopters can't fly; they're just so ugly the earth repels them." (THX Rich :thumbup: )

33rdsignatureimage7klmu6.jpg

¿No have GPU, no have PPU, and have installed PhysX drivers? You cant play games with physics accelerations. Only you can is force CPU to use process PhysX, but its not accelerated and you is forced processes.
Well, since nVidia bought Ageia they have released drivers for their 8 and 9-series of graphics cards enabling these cards to use PhysX.

Sorry, but read carefully what i wrote: AMD said officially that it will accelerate HAVOK on its GPUs "as soon as it is necessary" and it is backed up by Intel (curious, isnt it;)) By now, you are right, but i can imagine that as soon as physical effects get more important (with new DirectX perhaps?) AMD will accelerate Havok on its GPUs.

And BTW what is a CPU other than a piece of Hardware ;)? Get the point?

S~

I no read this notice ATI ability Havok for run in GPU. In this point, yes is hardware acceleration.

But CPU is a part of hardware yes, but it does not consider hardware acceleration. Since when calculations are made by the main CPU there is no acceleration, and therefore is considered software. This is semantics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cavallers del Cel - Comunintat Catalana de Simulació http://www.cavallersdelcel.cat

Goddam....yeah, I meant to type PPU! :mad:

You are right about their being no acceleration, but I don't think you are right about the way physics are handled. Doesn't PhysX allow for more realistic looking physics, like independent of what is actually processing those effects? It seems to, anyway. Games seem to get some benefit from using PhysX software vs. just the CPU.

Goddam....yeah, I meant to type PPU! :mad:

You are right about their being no acceleration, but I don't think you are right about the way physics are handled. Doesn't PhysX allow for more realistic looking physics, like independent of what is actually processing those effects? It seems to, anyway. Games seem to get some benefit from using PhysX software vs. just the CPU.

PhysX is handled in hardware so to speak due to the new drivers from nVidia, the new drivers basically makes the GPU handle the PhysX calculations. So for nVidia users with 8 and 9 series of cards GPU=PPU :)

PhysX is hardware, not software.

I see that the misunderstanding is caused by your wrong use of terms.

Physics is a software, but is hardware accelerated. When you say PhysX is hardware, not software, it would mean that it is contained in some piece of hardware or something like that.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I think some people are just thinking too hard on this.

Both Havok and PhysX can be implemented through software of hardware acceleration.

It is just the most common use so far of PhysX has been through hardware acceleration with the PPU and now the nV GPU. And the most common use of Havok has been through 'software' acceleration through the CPU.

That doesnt mean that is the only method though. You could get PhysX to run in GRAW2 without a PPU/nV GPU.

Just tried to read through four pages of techno-babble...Sooooo confusing to me. I think I might have actually GAINED a few brain cells from reading this...

My take on graphics cards:

Step one - Walk into a computer store.

Step two - Find a nerd/knowitall.

Step three - Say, "Which one of these fancy art-filled boxes is the best?"

Step four - Go home with fancy art-filled box and ask squadmates what to do next...

• Like 1

But this is PhysX drivers, no nvidia geforce drivers (with support PhysX) and not official.

They are official. They have just been leaked early to some suppliers.

IIRC GFX drivers of 179.xx are to be used with this PhysX driver.

NVIDIA PhysX System Software 8.06.12

Supported GPU's

GeForce GTX 280 GPUs

GeForce GTX 260 GPUs

GeForce 9800 GTX GPUs

AGEIA PhysX Processor (All)

AMD Athlon 64 6000+, 4GB DDRII 800+, 400GB RAID0, HD4870 1GB, 22" LCD 16:9, Saitek X52, TrackIr 3 Pro

You didnt even look at the link did you? :doh:

Its to PhysX System Software 8.07.18 :thumbup:

It has been reported to work just fine on 177.79 WinXP x86 drivers and an 8800GTS 320MB card.

Edited by =Prophet=

PhysX was shown to be a complete waste of time and money!

When it first came out, a game was developed that allegedly couldn't run without the card. Someone found some command line switches that bypassed the PhysX part and the game ran just as well without it. It showed what a con PhysX really was.

Best regards,

Tango.

What game was that ?

PhysX was shown to be a complete waste of time and money!

When it first came out, a game was developed that allegedly couldn't run without the card. Someone found some command line switches that bypassed the PhysX part and the game ran just as well without it. It showed what a con PhysX really was.

Best regards,

Tango.

It takes a fool to remain sane :huh: