Taking advantage of an offer to improve Setting Results

Fakum

none of that is obvious to me, so thanks for pointing that out. I will review and address what you are stating here. Thanks again

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

A note about SSAA. 
It wasn't until I read the manual did I understand what it was and how it should be used. 

But the most important information I read was that it should not be used with MSAA.

It also says that SSAA is for the top-of-the-range graphics cards and very powerful systems.

image.png

After I read that I ran some test on my system and the only changes were MSAA and SSAA.

My average FPS with MSAA 4x was 67.

My average FPS with SSAA x2 was 46.

I didn't test it with both on. hehe

@Fakum I would try just changing this with your current settings and see if it makes any difference. 

image.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ozmandi said:

top-of-the-range graphics cards and very powerful systems.

Excellent post!  I am using SSAA x2 (with Antialiasing -Transparancey = x2 supersample) with SSLR on my 1080Ti.  At 4k I don't really notice the jaggies but, this setting is very nice. 

Also, SSAA 1.5 is much lighter impact than SSAA X2, and is great if you absolutely need some AA.

Edited by glide

Great feedback guys, many thanks. I have some tweeking to do, at least now I know what to fiddle with. Thanks,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

just to add to this for more comparison. i have pretty good performance. of course sometimes it does stutter. nothing that makes me want to have a tantrum.

my specs are:

win 10

alienware r6

i7 7700

32 gb memory

2 tb SSD drive

trackir 5 proclip

geforce gtx 1080

alienware aw3420dw monitor

i have nothing overclocked. i do not have my monitor setting customized so i am assuming it is running at 120 hz.

i am also going to look over some of my settings and reply back if i find anything. good luck @Fakum and thanks to @glide 

2021-02-14_13-03-53.jpg

2021-02-16_15-59-05.jpg

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

In addition, does anyone have any feedback on the use of using "Full Screen" from the options settings within DCS? I dont see any chatter on this except for a comment by Hiob to turn it ON?

On 2/17/2021 at 10:05 AM, glide said:

You do not want MSAA=4 AND SSAA = 1.5.  This is a huge performance hog.  You should choose either, not both.  Try MSAA=2x or 4x and MFAA=On on NCP.  Or SSAA = 1.5 and MFAA=On.  Or just MSAA or SSAA by itself, no MFAA.  Also, if you are going to use Full Screen, right click on DCS.exe and disable full screen optimizations in Compatibility.  Or, turn Full Screen off. 

i do not know what it does. i have always done full screen. interestingly i do not have these settings in props of DCS shortcut.

image.png

Edited by silverdevil

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

image.png

Glide, can you elaborate on this a bit? I am not clear on how to matchup "Antialiasing Transparency to " my choice" AA in DCS? Are you referring to this setting?

image.png

1 hour ago, Fakum said:

image.png

Glide, can you elaborate on this a bit? I am not clear on how to matchup "Antialiasing Transparency to " my choice" AA in DCS? Are you referring to this setting?

image.png

@Fakum You are showing me Anisotropic Filtering, not Antialiasing.  First, Anisotropic Filtering.  If you use AF in DCS, you can turn OFF Trilinear Optimization for better quality, or ON for better performance.  Try both.

Now Antialising Transparancy.  If you use MSAA x2 or x4 in DCS, you should set Antialiasing -Transparency in NCP to Multisample.  If you use SSAA x1.5 or x2 in DCS you should set this to x2 Supersample.

image.png

image.png

Edited by glide
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, silverdevil said:

i do not know what it does. i have always done full screen.

I have read that Windows messed up their fullscreen optimization implementation.  Fullscreen in DCS won't let you move your mouse cursor outside the screen if you have dual monitors.  If you turn off Fullscreen in DCS, you can, but you have to click on the cockpit so DCS can capture the mouse again.  Not a big deal.

@glide hmm with my current settings i can pause game and click on second monitor and scroll through a PDF or whatever. when i move mouse back over to DCS window i just click and it becomes the active monitor. every so often DCS will not fully start because of what i am guessing is a program keeping it from getting full authority to the monitor. i usually have to end task and retry after at least minimizing all of it.

@silverdevil: i have the same problem.

Difficult to see when you are in "real" Full Screen mode. Alt-Enter puts you in it if you're not but out if you're in. I see no difference between the two. I have Full Screen ticked in DCS so i assume it's running in FS. If not... then it's not.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

@Glide

By now I have really mixed feelings about you, mate!

On the one hand you give really useful advise -

but on the other you are talking really messed up and wrong shit about FPS-perception or how vsync and gsync work.

You should get you‘re facts straight!

As you stated: Google is you‘re friend.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

8 minutes ago, Hiob said:

@Glide

By now I have really mixed feelings about you, mate!

On the one hand you give really useful advise -

but on the other you are talking really messed up and wrong shit about FPS-perception or how vsync and gsync work.

You should get you‘re facts straight!

As you stated: Google is you‘re friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_blur

1st things I noticed off the bat,, set NCP to "Restore" and added DCS to the programs list and set Power MGT to MAX Perf, VSYNC to OFF, GSync to Full Screen only for DCS.

Right away, I see that when I start TrackIR (Before I do anything else), My frames dont drop at all on desktop (Thats a good thing). Before my desktop would be running 120 FPS, Starting TrackIR would drop it to like 10,,, then I would have to minimize TrackIR, and and click the mouse somewhere on the desktop and it would jump back to 120.

2nd thing I noticed was now when I run DCS to start my benchmarking,,, the frames are still showing their baseline FPS (60 ish  in KA-50 on Syria map 32 ish  in F-18 on Syria Map) , what I am now seeing is that when I load these Instant Actions for benchmarking, the initial frame rates noted above are present, but when I hit ALT-ENTER, the frame rates jump up to 120, and they stay there! Im currently guessing that is a good thing for now, but in my previous benchmarking over the last few days (prior to setting NCP to "RESTORE") Hitting ALT-ENT simply resulted in a quick jump to 120 and going right back to the 60/32 FPS?

I have to presume it has everything to do with a NCP setting  I had set in the Global Section sine this is a result of the NCP restore. I have not changed anything in DCS Options yet

12 minutes ago, Fakum said:

I have to presume it has everything to do with a NCP setting  I had set in the Global Section sine this is a result of the NCP restore. I have not changed anything in DCS Options yet

I just noticed that TrackIR samples at 120 fps.  @Fakum @silverdevil You both have 120hz native monitors.  I wonder if something really strange is going on there.  Can you force your monitors to refresh at 100 or 60?

Yeah, I have been running benchmarks with monitor at both 60 and 120. In either configuration, TrackIR was ALWAYS dropping down to 10 when I started it.

image.png

I dont know what is considered "top end range graphics card" but I assume my 2080 TI Hybrid would be? In either case, I only see an option for SSAA at OFF or 1.5x? I dont see a 2x in the drop down?

16 minutes ago, Fakum said:

I assume my 2080 TI Hybrid would be?

Super High End.  To Drool For.  I think only the 3090 tops it.

3 hours ago, Fakum said:

GSync to Full Screen only for DCS

@Fakum, if you are still using Gsync, then you are still using the G version of vsync.  Have you tried turning off Gsync?

ok, so I will take SSAA off the table for now then,, I have been switching back and forth today, havnt seen a difference yet, and I have been matching the NCP to those changes, which actually brings me to another important question. I can change NCP settings on the fly right? I can keep DCS open while Im making changes in there right? Or do I need to close out DCS every change in NCP?

It seems right now, no matter what I do, I am getting 120 FPS solid, I know that's what its says on the FPS counter, I cant help to believe something else must be getting robbed? Wit thta being said, i'm more than satisfied with the FPS, now i just gotta figure out the right combination of settings to get the jittery motion smoothed out, which is what Im noticing primarily looking left or right. that would be my goal at this point,,, smooooooooth!

• Like 1