Taking advantage of an offer to improve Setting Results

Fakum

I have changed my entire  view of performance after this thread.  I have tried MSAA with SSAA, in fact I'm running MSAA x2 SSAA x2 and SSLR, and DCS is the best looking I have ever seen it.  Smooth and sharp.  With my 2d system at 4k, you must have at least 30 fps, but any more than that is a waste.  For example, if you are turning down your quality settings to get 60 fps, you are wasting 30 fps that can be put toward quality settings. 

On 2/25/2021 at 5:39 PM, Ozmandi said:

Stop chasing the FPS* holy grail

He's right.  Crank up the beauty settings until you get a solid 30-40 fps.  Leave off the fps counter. 🙂  Just when you think it's perfect, it gets more perfect.

Very interesting. I have my Textures maxed out, i did try them turned down but didnt like the outcome, so they are back up, along with the 3 preload sliders. I know I tried SSAA 1.5 (dont have a x2 option for some reason?) along with MSAA x 4, but my frames were chopped in half. I will try the SSAA addition and cut down the MSAA. I will say this about chasing the FPS, when I was using my monitors FPS meter, and believing I was seeing a solid 120 after i reset my NCP to Defaults, I thought i uncovered my jackpot. When in reality, I was running about 50 - 60 FPS, and things looked pretty good. There is something to be said about turning off your FPS counter. Thanks for the feedback! And I will be experimenting further. I am just still focused on micro stutters at this point, and keeping quality as high as possible.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

39 minutes ago, Fakum said:

Very interesting. I have my Textures maxed out, i did try them turned down but didnt like the outcome, so they are back up, along with the 3 preload sliders. I know I tried SSAA 1.5 (dont have a x2 option for some reason?) along with MSAA x 4, but my frames were chopped in half. I will try the SSAA addition and cut down the MSAA. I will say this about chasing the FPS, when I was using my monitors FPS meter, and believing I was seeing a solid 120 after i reset my NCP to Defaults, I thought i uncovered my jackpot. When in reality, I was running about 50 - 60 FPS, and things looked pretty good. There is something to be said about turning off your FPS counter. Thanks for the feedback! And I will be experimenting further. I am just still focused on micro stutters at this point, and keeping quality as high as possible.

Cool.  Also turn off Antialiasing - Transparency in the NCP.  I don't think this level of AA requires it.  I have not seen shimmering on trees yet.

I'm not sure how you have TrackIr set up.  The default profile works pretty good out of the box.  However, what I did was make a copy of default and save it.  Make this profile exclusive.  Then bump up my smooth to 20.  And finally, make all my curves match the Smooth Templates for each axis.  This is a good basic start, and it takes any TrackIr issues out of the way.

image.png

Hmmm,,, perhaps i will fiddle with TrackIR as well as soon as I readjust other settings,, here in my current TrackIR Config

image.png

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I ran quite non aggressive TrackIR setup for years until i saw some Hellreign82 video's which changed my view on TrackIR setup totally:

This is mine currently:

image.png

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

10 hours ago, glide said:

you must have at least 30 fps, but any more than that is a waste.  For example, if you are turning down your quality settings to get 60 fps, you are wasting 30 fps that can be put toward quality settings.

I don't agree at all. 30FPS is good enough for slow moving sims alla MSFS2020 or Trainsim or so. But when you go fast and low above the deck on a well populated terrain, 30FPS just doesn't cut it. 60 is so much smoother especially when you take TrackIR into the equation. I trade quality for FPS for this any time. But then it stops, more then 60 i don't need!

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Thanks Lang_666,, I havnt had time to run any tests today, but will tomorrow. My instincts would agree with you. Especially that I fly choppers low and fast to the ground. I have been running about 60 - 80 the way things are right now, with occasional dips to mid 50's. I will keep chugging along, keeping all of that in mind.

On a side note, I found out why I wasnt able to select SSAA x2, it is NOT an option for me at my typical resolution of 3840 x 1600, but is on any other resolution below that for some reason.

• Like 1

Eyes and brain, what a combo.  Sometimes I get the impression the AI is better at higher fps.  😛

13 minutes ago, Fakum said:

Thanks Lang_666,, I havnt had time to run any tests today, but will tomorrow. My instincts would agree with you. Especially that I fly choppers low and fast to the ground. I have been running about 60 - 80 the way things are right now, with occasional dips to mid 50's. I will keep chugging along, keeping all of that in mind.

On a side note, I found out why I wasnt able to select SSAA x2, it is NOT an option for me at my typical resolution of 3840 x 1600, but is on any other resolution below that for some reason.

Nevermind about 2x.  Stay with 1.5x.  Happy flying.

1 hour ago, Fakum said:

I have been running about 60 - 80 the way things are right now, with occasional dips to mid 50's. I will keep chugging along, keeping all of that in mind.

I aim for whatever FPS above 60 and then cap it at 60. If it dips, i lower quality to sustain that 60 all the time, if it dips below (or goes above when not capped) it stutters with TrackIR. I don't really need 60 to get a smooth ride if it wasn't for TrackIR because in VR my aim is 40 which is also smooth and smooth enough to not see microstuttering so i guess if TrackIR would do the trick at 40 it would set that as FPS but unfortunatly it isn't. For TrackIR to be smooth needs to be a steady 60, no dips, no jumps. I just won't let the FPS fluctuate to prevent stuttering, that and VSync ON. The only time that steady 60 FPS and VSync ON wasn't needed was in days monitors still had tubes.  

The 40 in VR comes from the fact that i can't sustain 80 (Oculus Rift-S has max 80Hz refresh and it stutters as hell when FPS fluctuates) with my setup and that there is no TrackIR to account for but the drawback at 40 in VR is that there's quite some ghosting on fastmovers (due to ASW kicking in).

That makes alot of sense Lange_666, and I am actually targeting doing just that, get it pretty solid just above 60, then lock it at 60. So with that being said, where again are you locking it at 60? NCP right? And another open question, once I Lock it at 60, should I run my monitor still at 120, or set it to 60 as well? I would thing there would be a difference on workload for the GPU correct?

9 hours ago, THERION said:

Hi gents,

does anyone of you know, what the figures in "Preload Radius" stand for? Thanks.

Cheers

@THERION I'm glad you asked that, because it made me take a closer look at it.

This is what the 2020 manual says about it.

image.png

The Preload Radius MAX value is 150000, so using my trusty convert app, I found that it equals 150 kilometers.  (150000 meters = 150 kilometers)

Hmmm? 

Now that raises some questions about this part of the manual.

image.png

The key words are 'Radius' and 'around'; so the area in front, behind and on each side of your aircraft.  ( please correct me, if I'm wrong )

In my test, I can't see a difference between Ultra and Extreme. There is a BIG difference from Ultra to High, but I can't see a difference between Ultra and Extreme.

Ultra has a radius of 24 kilometers. So, if I want to match the Preload radius to my Visible Range then I would set Preload to 24000. (24 kilometers = 24000 meters)

So, to keep everything aligned I'm thinking this would be the Preload Radius setting for each Visible Range setting.

Low   = 7km = 7000 meters Preload Radius

Med  = 12 km = 12000 meters Preload Radius

High = 17km = 17000 meters Preload Radius

Ultra = 24km = 24000 meters Preload Radius

Extreme = the whole map? = everything on the map?

I always had my preload radius set at MAX value.  I'll have to run some test to see if I notice a difference if I lower it to match the Visible Range radius.

1 hour ago, Fakum said:

That makes alot of sense Lange_666, and I am actually targeting doing just that, get it pretty solid just above 60, then lock it at 60. So with that being said, where again are you locking it at 60? NCP right? And another open question, once I Lock it at 60, should I run my monitor still at 120, or set it to 60 as well? I would thing there would be a difference on workload for the GPU correct?

I have these same questions.

• Like 1

From what i'm seeing, you can leave the monitor on 120Hz, it's the monitors refresh, not the GPU. Your GPU doesn't need to work harder for that if it's capped at 60.

7 hours ago, Ozmandi said:

@THERION I'm glad you asked that, because it made me take a closer look at it.

This is what the 2020 manual says about it.

image.png

The Preload Radius MAX value is 150000, so using my trusty convert app, I found that it equals 150 kilometers.  (150000 meters = 150 kilometers)

Hmmm? 

Now that raises some questions about this part of the manual.

image.png

The key words are 'Radius' and 'around'; so the area in front, behind and on each side of your aircraft.  ( please correct me, if I'm wrong )

In my test, I can't see a difference between Ultra and Extreme. There is a BIG difference from Ultra to High, but I can't see a difference between Ultra and Extreme.

Ultra has a radius of 24 kilometers. So, if I want to match the Preload radius to my Visible Range then I would set Preload to 24000. (24 kilometers = 24000 meters)

So, to keep everything aligned I'm thinking this would be the Preload Radius setting for each Visible Range setting.

Low   = 7km = 7000 meters Preload Radius

Med  = 12 km = 12000 meters Preload Radius

High = 17km = 17000 meters Preload Radius

Ultra = 24km = 24000 meters Preload Radius

Extreme = the whole map? = everything on the map?

I always had my preload radius set at MAX value.  I'll have to run some test to see if I notice a difference if I lower it to match the Visible Range radius.

I have these same questions.

Hi @Ozmandi

thank you very much for your detailed explanation - very interesting indeed as with this information I can find the sweet spot for my system and understand

what can cause some stutter on my rig (old but trusty one: I7-4770, 16MB RAM, GTX970 / 4 GB VRAM).

So at the moment I have set the preload radius to 50000 and visible range to LOW (7 km) - this gives me a reasonable performance and environment still looks

good, or at least not bad to me. Stutter is gone when panning around with my TrackIR - only when I switch from cockpit view to map view (F10) and back, there

is a small dip / stutter. I also monitored my FPS for these tests, but now I have the FPS counter off. This constant FPS counter is our flogger if you ask me!

Sometimes you notice a tiny micro-stutter only because you have FPS counter on - with off you wouldn't actually notice anything...

Again, thank you very much for your elaboration, mate.

Cheerio

Edited by THERION
grammatic
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

From what i'm seeing, you can leave the monitor on 120Hz, it's the monitors refresh, not the GPU. Your GPU doesn't need to work harder for that if it's capped at 60.

Thanks Lang_666, thats 1 easy one out of the way

1 hour ago, Ozmandi said:

Has anybody seen this?

Was wondering if it changes how you use V-Sync.

NVIDIA: V-Sync OFF Not Recommended as a Global Setting Starting (guru3d.com)

driver version 461.09 and later supports multiplane overlay (MPO).

Excellent read. Now it makes sense why my testing of vsync was giving odd results.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Thanks for that, I read it, but most of it was over my head. I dont know how that will impact DCS IF running it in full screen since my interpretation of that was that it only affected anything running in Windowed mode?

@Fakum think of "multiplane" as two pieces of paper stacked. Paper on top is game in full or windowed and the paper on bottom is Windows desktop. So leave the setting application controlled and see vsync in NCP.

• Like 1

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I understand the multiplane analogy now, thank you. I dont understand this statement though?:

"So leave the setting application controlled and see vsync in NCP."

Right now, Vsync is set to image.png in GLOBAL settings

and 

image.pngin PROGRAMS settings for DCS

*** On an irritating side note (LOL) how do you guys do this image.png? I keep clicking on peoples name and profiles, I cant find a way to "mention" like I can do on Discord

Edited by Fakum

Just type @Fakum and then click on the name.

@Lange_666 thx

On 3/2/2021 at 1:07 PM, Fakum said:

I understand the multiplane analogy now, thank you. I dont understand this statement though?:

"So leave the setting application controlled and see vsync in NCP."

Right now, Vsync is set to image.png in GLOBAL settings

and 

image.pngin PROGRAMS settings for DCS

*** On an irritating side note (LOL) how do you guys do this image.png? I keep clicking on peoples name and profiles, I cant find a way to "mention" like I can do on Discord

@Fakum since you have DCS as an application, the "use the 3d application setting" would be correct. This means the vsync in game on and off would be the controlling setting. Make sense?