please add a profanity filter for jester

DeathLight

• DeathLight changed the title to please add a profanity filter for jester

I like to imagine that pilots & officers swear less than Marine combat arms. 

• Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

thats bait Tumblr posts - Tumbral.com

That said: it's quite possible that this will never get implemented, which is a good thing. Get a grip, it's only some cursing.

(also swearing is a sign of high intelligence: https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists 😛 )

Edited by Shimmergloom667
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

As a former member of the military, you must understand that we use the F word as a comma.

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

We kept it to a minimum, the heaviest word he uses is "sh*t", and with that we are staying way below the general usus of other military voiced content in games, not to even mention movies - the f-word does not appear a single time, and nothing else graphic either. We did so in order to keep everyone in the fold, so to speak, we understand everyone has different believes. But we also think that we kept it to a level that fits the game's age rating and to what is generally within reason. We have no plans to change that. Should we implement a boring Jester feature at some point, it will not necessarily remove profanity, as it will only remove his snarky or jokey comments, but some profanity will stay within the variations. We stand by Jester as he is, and thank you for your kind understanding.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Please add a profanity filter for jester 
or could someone tell me how to take away jester cussing please 
This will be really appreciated 
Thank you for reading this and thank you for helping 

You can extract audio excerpts from the “carebears” or any other television show intenended for small children of your preference, then use audacity to convert the audio files into .ogg. Rename the files to match the offending audio clip in “GAMEDIR/Mods/aircraft/F14/Sounds/Jester”, then feel free to continue dropping death and destruction from your simulated 70million dollar killing machine without fear of the corrupting influence of naughty words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, null said:

You can extract audio excerpts from the “carebears” or any other television show intenended for small children of your preference, then use audacity to convert the audio files into .ogg. Rename the files to match the offending audio clip in “GAMEDIR/Mods/aircraft/F14/Sounds/Jester”, then feel free to continue dropping death and destruction from your simulated 70million dollar killing machine without fear of the corrupting influence of naughty words.

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect :clap_2:

• Like 1

Guys, can we please stay friendly to each other? There is no reason to attack Death Light, his reasons might and can be far from anything one would suspect. As much as we ask him to respect how we talk and portray military talk (to a certain degree, Jester is ofc a very lose interpretation), we can also respect others who think different. He did not ask for you not being able to listen to Jester's profanity, he asked for an option for himself. That is not an attack on your freedoms, that is a petition to get a piece of what makes him feel free in his choices. So, when we advocate freedom of speech, let us keep in mind that it includes everyone. Thank you. 🙂

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

28 minutes ago, IronMike said:

Guys, can we please stay friendly to each other? There is no reason to attack Death Light, his reasons might and can be far from anything one would suspect. As much as we ask him to respect how we talk and portray military talk (to a certain degree, Jester is ofc a very lose interpretation), we can also respect others who think different. He did not ask for you not being able to listen to Jester's profanity, he asked for an option for himself. That is not an attack on your freedoms, that is a petition to get a piece of what makes him feel free in his choices. So, when we advocate freedom of speech, let us keep in mind that it includes everyone. Thank you. 🙂

You bring up a fair point Mike. On the off chance this isn't a troll post by DeathLight, a legitimate fix for the issue would be to navigate to the directory I mentioned before at “GAMEDIR/Mods/aircraft/F14/Sounds/Jester” then using a media player like mpv or vlc, review the files till you find the ones that you disapprove of and delete them. You can then replace the missing files with copies of the inoffensive files renamed to match the deleted ones. It's possible you can just get away with deleting them but I don't know if the module would play nothing or even throw an error when calling the deleted file so I would copy and rename to play it safe. It's also advisable to back up the duplicated files as you will probably need to reapply the changes with every DCS update. I also don't know if this will piss off the integrity check on multiplayer but if profanity if a legitimate concern of yours I would avoid doing that as you will see worse in the chat box.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, null said:

Could you explain with more details please 

like what are carebears and how to convert audio files into .ogg 

can you explain it step by step please?

thank you for your time and for showing me this

12 minutes ago, DeathLight said:

Could you explain with more details please 

like what are carebears and how to convert audio files into .ogg 

can you explain it step by step please?

thank you for your time and for showing me this

Go to "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F14\Sounds\Jester" in an Explorer window

image.png  

in here there are multiple folders for each type of audio callout.

enter any of the folders and listen to the files until you hear one you don't like. For instance "geardamageHI2.ogg" says "Shit the gear is damaged"

image.png

Select the file you want to remove and delete it.

image.png

Then right click one of the other files for the same type of callout that doesn't have parts you don't want and select copy and then hit ctrl+v to paste a duplicate of it.

image.png

with the file copy selected press F2 to rename it and change the name to match the file you just deleted.

image.png

Do this process for every file you don't like.

Ignore the part about carebears, it was intended as a joke.

Edited by null
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, null said:

Unless he gets the list of "bad" files it's gonna be days of listening.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Unless he gets the list of "bad" files it's gonna be days of listening.

Yeah it’s going to be a long time but it’s the only solution I can think of since I doubt this is a common concern lol

22 minutes ago, null said:

Go to "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\F14\Sounds\Jester" in an Explorer window

image.png  

in here there are multiple folders for each type of audio callout.

enter any of the folders and listen to the files until you hear one you don't like. For instance "geardamageHI2.ogg" says "Shit the gear is damaged"

image.png

Select the file you want to remove and delete it.

image.png

Then right click one of the other files for the same type of callout that doesn't have parts you don't want and select copy and then hit ctrl+v to paste a duplicate of it.

image.png

with the file copy selected press F2 to rename it and change the name to match the file you just deleted.

image.png

Ignore the part about carebears, it was intended as a joke.

THANK YOU SO MUCH thank you 🙂

58 minutes ago, DeathLight said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH thank you 🙂

I would just like to warn you ahead, what you will be facing by going down this route: You will have to listen to around ten thousand voice files, one by one. This is the main reason why we cannot offer such a filter, because we don't have the time to do it. Else we'd be more than happy to provide you with one. The problem however, if you do this yourself, is that after each update, the files will change back to the originals, also each time you run a DCS repair etc. If you really want to do it, then I would suggest that at least you make a copy of the folder, once you are happy with it, so you can put it back in after each update, without having to go through all the files again. If you do not back it up, your work will be lost after the next update, please keep that in mind. 🙂

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 2

Heatblur Simulations

1 minute ago, IronMike said:

I would just like to warn you ahead, what you will be facing by going down this route: You will have to listen to around ten thousand voice files, one by one. This is the main reason why we cannot offer such a filter, because we don't have the time to do it. Else we'd be more than happy to provide you with one. The problem however, if you do this yourself, is that after each update, the files will change back to the originals, also each time you run a DCS repair etc. If you really want to do it, then I would suggest that at least you make a copy of the folder, once you are happy with it, so you can put it back in after each update, without having to go through all the files again. 🙂

So after I change the files to my liking I can then make a copy and after every update I copy and paste?

Just now, DeathLight said:

So after I change the files to my liking I can then make a copy and after every update I copy and paste?

Exactly, copy the folder with all the files to a place you want to permanently store it. Then, after an update, you just copy paste it back in. We will add some new voices soon, plus the big addition will also be the Jester Lantirn update. Maybe you want to wait for that, the new awareness calls for BFM will come in the next update, but Lantirn will still take a bit of a while.

• Like 3

Heatblur Simulations

8 minutes ago, IronMike said:

I would just like to warn you ahead, what you will be facing by going down this route: You will have to listen to around ten thousand voice files, one by one. This is the main reason why we cannot offer such a filter, because we don't have the time to do it. Else we'd be more than happy to provide you with one. The problem however, if you do this yourself, is that after each update, the files will change back to the originals, also each time you run a DCS repair etc. If you really want to do it, then I would suggest that at least you make a copy of the folder, once you are happy with it, so you can put it back in after each update, without having to go through all the files again. If you do not back it up, your work will be lost after the next update, please keep that in mind. 🙂

Theoretically if a user or group of users compiled a list to take the workload off you guys, would the feature be easy to implement?

I agree with the OP. 

While cruise language gets extremely salty, there are sim players sitting at their rigs, flying with little kids in the room, or perhaps showing the module off to people who don’t want to hear and are offended by the blue language. Not a bad idea to have an option to leave it out.

Squadrons are a cross section of personalities and backgrounds. Best Man in my wedding ended up being a NTPS instructor and lead the aero department at the USNA, a Christian who didn’t cuss at all. Very talented, very professional.

In AOCS by the way, my Marine Drill Instructor did not curse while performing his duties. Later, after we were commissioned and engaged him in normal conversation, he talked like most Marines, but when he was playing the role of a DI, he didn’t curse, which of course, made him even more intimidating.

I asked him about it, because all of the other DI’s used constant, colorful language. My Drill Instructor simply said that he thought it unprofessional. He was unbelievable intelligent, had all of our names memorized when we showed up, knew our backgrounds, pretty well too. He ended up by the way, getting commissioned himself, and earned NFO wings. He ended up being a SEAL.

Toughest, most impressive SOB I ever came across. 

Edited by Victory205
  • Like 11

Viewpoints are my own.

8 minutes ago, null said:

Theoretically if a user or group of users compiled a list to take the workload off you guys, would the feature be easy to implement?

I would carefully say no. Because apart from all the selecting of the files, it would likely require some extensive recoding to ommit them. Unfortunatley I never kept a list of where I put in what profanity, in parts also intentionally, to keep a certain dynamic for my own writing process. Despite having written, recorded and cut each one of them, it is just too much to remember, either. We kept the joke-jokes separate, as we intended a boring Jester feature in the beginning, but it is possible we won't even offer that. However, if someone, like @DeathLight did indeed sit through all of that, at least we could help in offering a mod, so folks can download it, who do not want to hear profanity. We would also look into the possibility of offering such an option, but it is more likely that it would be beyond our scope. We wouldn't just dismiss it though - yet I cannot in good faith say, yes, go guys, do it, and you will get the filter. I hope that makes sense.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

2 minutes ago, IronMike said:

I would carefully say no. Because apart from all the selecting of the files, it would likely require some extensive recoding to ommit them. Unfortunatley I never kept a list of where I put in what joke, in parts also intentionally, to keep a certain dynamic for my own writing process, too. Despite having written, recorded and cut each one of them, it is just too much to remember, either. We kept the joke-jokes separate, as we intended a boring Jester feature in the beginning, but it is possible we won't even offer that. However, if someone, like @DeathLight did indeed sit through all of that, at least we could help in offering a mod, so folks can download it, who do not want to hear profanity. We would also look into the possibility of offering such an option, but it is more likely that it would be beyond our scope. We wouldn't just dismiss it though - yet I cannot in good faith say, yes, go guys, do it, and you will get the filter. I hope that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense, the more things you agree to the more feature creep you introduce into an already complex project. I was mainly asking out of curiosity since this issue does not affect me at all. The mod idea sounds like a nice option but even then I can't imagine this is an issue that a statistically significant portion of the userbase would even care about. Thank you for your reply, and for all the work you guys have already done on the Tomcat.

14 minutes ago, null said:

Makes perfect sense, the more things you agree to the more feature creep you introduce into an already complex project. I was mainly asking out of curiosity since this issue does not affect me at all. The mod idea sounds like a nice option but even then I can't imagine this is an issue that a statistically significant portion of the userbase would even care about. Thank you for your reply, and for all the work you guys have already done on the Tomcat.

It is our (and my) pleasure. And what I can promise, is that if anyone did the work, we would take a serious look to honor it, that's for sure. We'd love nothing more but to offer more options so everyone can enjoy everything to their liking. And we would most certainly not stand in the way of a profanity filter, if it was feasible for us.

BTW, as Victory mentions, children are a big concern. Because one can show off the Tomcat or DCS in general, without showing the weapons and killing part and instill an early love for flying in a child. And I most certainly do understand parents who want their small children to catch the aviation bug early, without catching the cursing bug at the same time. 🙂 [For such special occassions however I would advice parents to maybe generally turn Jester to silent.]

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 3

Heatblur Simulations

45 minutes ago, Victory205 said:

My Marine Drill Instructor did not curse while performing his duties. Later, when were commissioned and engaged him in normal conversation, he talked like most Marines, but when he was being a DI, he didn’t curse, which made him even more intimidating. 

Yeah, they tell us that outright at MCRD that swearing isn't professional and a big part of DI school is learning the discipline to control that,  usually with substitutes. Friggin, daggone, etc.  Every Marine in the Fleet drops f-bombs like nothing though. 

I think Jester is pretty take.  Only time I tell him to shut up is when I'm having difficulty with A2A refueling. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2