Honeycomb Bravo Throttle ?

Yeah I got it. Mainly because of MSFS and X-Plane but it works in DCS too. I exclusively fly in VR so keyboard commands are a pain. What I like about the Honeycomb is the gear up/down lever and the trim wheel, it feels so "natural". Also it seems to be easier to handle all the levers in the prop planes. So yes I would recommend it if you already have a Hotas, it cannot replace a Hotas for the modern jets.

• Like 1

vor 17 Stunden schrieb zcaa0g:

Is the trim wheel an actual axis or a rotary encoder?  I would expect it to be an axis but read somewhere on Discord that it was a rotary encoder which wouldn't make sense.

not sure if I got your question. The trim wheel is a classical wheel which you find in many GA aircrafts. 

On 2/26/2021 at 3:18 PM, zcaa0g said:

Is the trim wheel an actual axis or a rotary encoder?  I would expect it to be an axis but read somewhere on Discord that it was a rotary encoder which wouldn't make sense.

Encoder, but it "feels" right. There is also a increase/decrease rotary encoder that's supposed to work with the autopilot in MSFS. In DCS it could be anything appropriate.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2021 at 10:41 AM, jonfog said:

Encoder, but it "feels" right. There is also a increase/decrease rotary encoder that's supposed to work with the autopilot in MSFS. In DCS it could be anything appropriate.

Dang. Based on the pictures and how it looked to be on the same cylinder as the levers I was hoping it'd be an axis.

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2021 at 10:36 AM, jonfog said:

Yeah I got it. Mainly because of MSFS and X-Plane but it works in DCS too. I exclusively fly in VR so keyboard commands are a pain. What I like about the Honeycomb is the gear up/down lever and the trim wheel, it feels so "natural". Also it seems to be easier to handle all the levers in the prop planes. So yes I would recommend it if you already have a Hotas, it cannot replace a Hotas for the modern jets.

My Alpha and Bravo combination arrived early this year, so after getting it set up for FSX and MFS, I thought I'd give it a try for DCS. The Alpha works fine, but the Bravo throttle is giving me a problem:

In trying to bind the throttle to the Spitfire Mk IX I find that when moving the throttle from idle (1000 rpm) to taxi (say 1500 rpm), the Spit throttle will jerk instantly from idle to 1/2 to 2/3 full range (>3000 rpm). You can see the problem this creates for taxiing or descent. I have tried many throttle axis control settings - slider, user curve, different curve patterns, all trying to achieve a nice gradual even increase in power from idle.  I also tried the SU-25, and the same effect is noted.

I don't think the problem is the Spit, because I tested my old retired CH yoke with throttle, and the CH throttle worked fine.

Maybe I will have to purchase a HOTAS, but I saw several of you saying that the Bravo works, but no one mentioned the Spitfire specifically.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Barry

On 4/13/2021 at 7:37 PM, DBarryMack said:

My Alpha and Bravo combination arrived early this year, so after getting it set up for FSX and MFS, I thought I'd give it a try for DCS. The Alpha works fine, but the Bravo throttle is giving me a problem:

In trying to bind the throttle to the Spitfire Mk IX I find that when moving the throttle from idle (1000 rpm) to taxi (say 1500 rpm), the Spit throttle will jerk instantly from idle to 1/2 to 2/3 full range (>3000 rpm). You can see the problem this creates for taxiing or descent. I have tried many throttle axis control settings - slider, user curve, different curve patterns, all trying to achieve a nice gradual even increase in power from idle.  I also tried the SU-25, and the same effect is noted.

I don't think the problem is the Spit, because I tested my old retired CH yoke with throttle, and the CH throttle worked fine.

Maybe I will have to purchase a HOTAS, but I saw several of you saying that the Bravo works, but no one mentioned the Spitfire specifically.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Barry

I mainly tried it with the Me109 and P-51. Today I tried it with the spit and it seemed to work okay. Although I haven't been in the spit for a year I managed to start her up, taxi and take-off (my landing was ... I didn't explode at least). I think I shouldn't been able to do that if the Bravo behaved the way you described it.

If it's working okay in other sims and the windows joystick panel (joy.cpl) then it really is strange.

Maybe something else is bound to these axis too?

Jonfog-

Thanks for response. I am puzzled for sure, because of your results. So it must be something about the DCS control command that I am binding the Bravo to, or it is the axis tuning.

Are you binding your Bravo to the Throttle (analog) control in axis commands? (That is the one I am using). Recently, as a workaround, I have left the Bravo alone and I'm trying to use throttle manually by dragging the throttle in the Spit cockpit. I've been able to taxi with this method, but I'm still not able to get off the ground on takeoff (due to excessive swerving while adjusting throttle and watching airspeed - steep learning curve).

I am also wondering what tuning settings you have selected for using the Bravo in the Spit. I'll give the P51 a shot and see if that works out differently. Finally, I notice DCS has two Spit variants - the Easy and the Sim - which one were you using?

Cheers, Barry

• 3 months later...

Glad to see it should work, will give it a go. Only problem I have is the game chair has my Hoyas on the left, honeycomb on the right, so I’ll have to fly left handed on the warthog (right handed) stick. Might take some getting used to, won’t help my landings much, but a nice problem to have.

Is anyone keeping both throttles plugged in?

• 1 month later...

Hey @DBarryMack, did you manage to fix the throttle problem with the spit?

I’m also looking at getting the Honeycomb now the Mossie is out & wanted to see if those that have it are still happy, and maybe have a review.

thanks.

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

Thanks @pocketedition I should be right but I’ll measure it up.

Are the product specs close to what you found you actually needed?

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

I’m not sure if they have updated the version or this is an older one but it seems shorter in this photo than some I have seen.

this pic appeared to missing the big hump at the back.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yeah, I didn’t think it looked like the other pictures I had seen.

Thanks for the dimensions, they are also different from the dimensions off Amazon (it states it’s only 3kg as well) which makes me wonder if they have changed it.

I’ll do some more research and let you know.

image.png

image.jpeg

👍🏽
It looks like they have changed it.

Apart from the different sized hump they seemed to have removed the friction knob for the levers on the right.

The indications stencils have been removed from the throttle quadrant & flap/speed brake levers.

And the autopilot button is different.

I’d say if this is a newer version they may have gone down a cost saving path.

If the size (length wise) is a problem but your happy with the product in general, maybe it’s worth checking out this shorter one?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I contacted Honeycomb about the different throttles.

The response below.

The throttle with the stencils/markings is the current production version.

A lot of websites I have looked at use the old pre-production photos. (So I am cautious of those sellers)

“The first picture is the current Bravo version, the lower image is an older mockup of a pre-production model. Please feel free to reach out again if you need further assistance!”

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

image.jpeg

Thanks Helles Belle for checking with Honeycomb and reporting their response. I was wondering about those images. I’m in the process of setting up my new Bravo  for the Mosquito. So far so good.

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

Thanks @Snowy55 , the mossie is why I’m thinking of getting it. I’d like to hear how you go with it.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Helles Belle said:

Thanks @Snowy55 , the mossie is why I’m thinking of getting it. I’d like to hear how you go with it.

I’ve partially set it up and I think it is going to be a winner but time will tell obviously. It’s been well thought out for the MSFS2020 and similar target sims but will suit warbirds rather well I think. I have a simple hand made button box to fill in any gaps there might be.

For some reason I can’t explain my Virpil throttle was hyper sensitive for the axis in the Mossie but the Honeycomb is just right for it. My take offs and landings have improved significantly as I now have finer control of the throttle and RPM. Having dedicated flap and gear levers is very nice. I’ll use the Virpil for jets I think and the Honeycomb for props. 

It looks like the trim wheel, being a rotary encoder, will be difficult to set up. I might just keep that for MSFS for which it works beautifully out of the box. That’s not really a problem as I have the trim controls set on my joystick anyway.

For the asking price it is rather magnificent, based on a day or two’s experience with it.

• Like 1

Rig: RTX 4080, 11th Gen Intel Core i7 11700K, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 3xSSD Drives, TM F/A18 Grip on Virpil WarBrd base, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, VKB-Sim T Rudder Pedals MkIV, Virpil MongoosT-50CM throttle, Varjo Aero.

• 3 weeks later...