Want To Try VR for DCS, Please Rate my PC

PJPower05

Hi all, new to DCS, been playing about 3 months now. I want to make the jump to VR, but I have heard mixed opinions regarding what minimum specs you need. I understand that DCS isn't optimized, and VR is very resource intensive. My expectations would be medium settings (I am currently have Ultra settings now).  I built my PC about 2 months ago soley to play DCS/ MSFS2020.

My PC

Ryzen 7 3800X (8 core, 3.9ghz core clock, 4.5 turbo clock)

32 GB DDR4 Ram (Think it is around the 3200 speed) (Also thinking of upgrading to 64gb)

3060TI (8GB)

750W PSU

1 TB SSD (Once again, DCS is quickly filling it up, so I am probably going to get another

Acer 32in Curved monitor (144hz refresh rate)

Could I get a decent experience out of DCS in VR? If so, what VR systems do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

a lot will depend on your chosen VR Helmet and its resolution the 3060ti is a bit tight on cores and video ram to run a G2 in DCS at its reported native resolution in Steam VR, but other than that it looks good

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

15 minutes ago, PJPower05 said:

Hi all, new to DCS, been playing about 3 months now. I want to make the jump to VR, but I have heard mixed opinions regarding what minimum specs you need. I understand that DCS isn't optimized, and VR is very resource intensive. My expectations would be medium settings (I am currently have Ultra settings now).  I built my PC about 2 months ago soley to play DCS/ MSFS2020.

My PC

32 GB DDR4 Ram (Think it is around the 3200 speed) (Also thinking of upgrading to 64gb)

3060TI (8GB)

750W PSU

1 TB SSD (Once again, DCS is quickly filling it up, so I am probably going to get another

Could I get a decent experience out of DCS in VR? If so, what VR systems do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

You should be able to get a decent experience. You might be best to try an oculus rift S. Easiest to use, low res runs better, cheap. It will need super sampling to get a good image and you should be able to get a little of that. A quest 2 is also a possibility but this uses extra GPU power to encode through the link cable. Plus more expensive than rift s, once you have factored in all the extras. You could try a second-hand rift s that would be a really cheap way of trying it out. Only drawback oculus is Facebook so you will need to link your oculus account to you Facebook account. A deal breaker for some, not for others.

Edited by Hoirtel

Not to piggyback too much, but I posted my specs over in the PC Hardware forum. I was told there that 1) I went nuts on the RAM (okay, maybe a little) and 2) My GPU could be better. Like the OP, I went with a Ryzen 7, and I hope to use an HP Reverb G2.

1. Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite mb

2. Ryzen 7 3700X CPU

3. 128GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 RAM 3200MHz CL16

4. 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 SSD

5. Samsung 870 QVO 2TD SATA SSD

6. EVGA Super Nova 850 G5 80 Plus Gold

I am NOT real smart when it comes to computers. Cores and OCing and 95% of the other computer-related acronyms mean nothing to me. LOL So other than a good graphics card (I was recommended a 6900XT or RTX 3090 for VR), is the 3700/3800X up for this?

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 8:02 AM, Allentc2 said:

Not to piggyback too much, but I posted my specs over in the PC Hardware forum. I was told there that 1) I went nuts on the RAM (okay, maybe a little) and 2) My GPU could be better. Like the OP, I went with a Ryzen 7, and I hope to use an HP Reverb G2.

1. Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite mb

2. Ryzen 7 3700X CPU

3. 128GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 RAM 3200MHz CL16

4. 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 SSD

5. Samsung 870 QVO 2TD SATA SSD

6. EVGA Super Nova 850 G5 80 Plus Gold

I am NOT real smart when it comes to computers. Cores and OCing and 95% of the other computer-related acronyms mean nothing to me. LOL So other than a good graphics card (I was recommended a 6900XT or RTX 3090 for VR), is the 3700/3800X up for this?

They were right on the GPU, with that little VRAM you will struggle in VR, especially with the Reverb G2.  Updating the GPU should get you going.  Look at the new AMD line or the Nvidia 3060 or better.  

i9-12900K - EVGA 3090 FTW - 64GB DDR5 5600 - HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, WolfeFlyer said:

They were right on the GPU, with that little VRAM you will struggle in VR, especially with the Reverb G2.  Updating the GPU should get you going.  Look at the new AMD line or the Nvidia 3060 or better.  

Not sure what you mean? The graphics cards I'm looking at are all 3070 or better. The "3700/3800X" refers to my (and the OP's) CPU. I was planning to get an EVGA or Gigabyte RTX 3080, but was told (as I mentioned) that the RTX 3090 would be needed for good VR.

55 minutes ago, Allentc2 said:

Not sure what you mean? The graphics cards I'm looking at are all 3070 or better. The "3700/3800X" refers to my (and the OP's) CPU. I was planning to get an EVGA or Gigabyte RTX 3080, but was told (as I mentioned) that the RTX 3090 would be needed for good VR.

Ah, I read the specs too quickly, saw 970 and read it as gtx970 in my brain.  Running on no caffeine and hungry is no way to go through life, or the forums.  3080 Will handle things just fine.  I have a 3090 and its great for VR, I can get 70-90 fps most of the time on a Reverb G2.  Whatever you get, try and get as much VRAM as you can.  DCS actually uses all 20GB on the 3090, which is both impressive and sad at the same time.    

i9-12900K - EVGA 3090 FTW - 64GB DDR5 5600 - HP Reverb G2

3 minutes ago, Allentc2 said:

OOoooooo.....no kidding? So splurging for the 3090 might be good. 

Yes it is good. DCS likes Vram and the 3090 has plenty of that.

Whether that is worth the cost of the card is up to the individual. For me it was.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Don't forget the 6800XT with 16GB of VRAM for far less than the 3090, and still awesome performance.

I would stay away from 5800X CPU as well as they have heating issues, which when the CPU will self-O/C based on temps, is not good. 

Just finished building my new AMD setup with Nitro+ 6800XT and 5900X on a X570 Dark Hero and yep performance is pretty good....

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had no trouble with my 6800XT and the G2.  You also get the small benefit of SAM running a full new-gen AMD setup.

Also if you want to pay double for an extra 8-10% performance, the 6900XT is the card to get....else just get a 6800XT and wait for the next gen 😉. They also both have 16GB VRAM, so not even getting an upgrade there.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 2/26/2021 at 2:42 PM, PJPower05 said:

My PC

3060TI (8GB)

750W PSU

Thanks in advance!

I have similar specs to you. Ryzen 7 3700x OC to 4.5ghz 

32gb ddr4, but I have a gtx 1080ti 11gb 

I have used a Oculus CV1 for years now. Only just got a Reverb Pro. 
the CV1 has been a great headset but with the options available now it would not make sense to purchase that. I was getting very smooth and decent FPS with the CV1 but reading about the reverb I knew the CV1 was starting to show its age and decided it was time to go for an upgrade. I’ve only had a day with the Reverb. Significant improvement in visual rendering, performance wise after tweeking all day I’m starting to get there with the performance however it’s still a little off compared to the performance I was achieving with the CV1 but that’s probably to be expected with the huge improvement in resolution. It may result in a GPU upgrade but that’s going to cost me some £££££.

In short I’m sure there is a headset out there for your specs. I was very torn between the Reverb and the Rift S. Oculus make great reliable headsets in my opinion and I would imagine the Rift S will work well with your system. So that may be a good option for you especially if you are new to VR. But be prepared to do a lot of tweaking it takes some time to get your settings just right. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I just posted about a struggle with my i7 3770 and 3060 TI.. I think you will get easily 40-45 fps in multiplayer in VR and about 60-70 in single player. Your CPU is the exact CPU i was looking at so please send me an @  once you have gotten VR going. For the headset.. I would say the G2 is the only way to go, they are hard to get I had to wait for a few months to get mine. However, you can always TURN down the quality, but its hard to turn up the quality if your headset doesnt support it. G2 looks graphics proof for the next 3-5 years.. give or take.

Good luck let me know how the setup works out for you!

I just had a bit of good luck. Apparently B&H Photo is drawing names from the "Notify Me" list and letting them purchase cards as they arrive. I was skeptical at first, so I called B&H directly. Sure enough, it's legit. The downside is it's "only" an MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X TRIO, but at least now I have the option of finishing my build OR sell the card for a bit of profit. I'm also on the "Notify Me" for a 3090, so maybe lightning can strike twice!

3090 is a waste of money imo such small or possibly no benefit at all over 3080.

Anyone getting a new VR headset now should be getting a G2 and definitely not a Rift S. The G2 looks much better then the Rift S even at the same resolution and oculus have given up on the Rift S it will shortly be a dead product.

OP your pc will be fine for running a G2