Differences Between A and D Models

ApacheDoctor

Hey guys, as you can tell from my name, I might know something about this platform.

There are some succinct differences between the A model and D model. 

The dead give away is the differences in the EFABs (the bays on the sides of the helicopter) and the rotor head.

IMG_0571.jpg

As you can see in the above photo, the Deicing cables are ran along the top of the rotor head. The LLL (lead lag links are the isomeric rubber mounts that run along the side of the bell housings. It allows the blade to "track" correctly. 

621 Head.jpg

As you can see here, the static discharging cables run to the interior side of the head and sit at the back. The head is also much beefier and has a much different profile than that of the -621 (A model) rotor head. The D model also utilizes the -625 Rotor head, which is beefier and stronger. Rotorhead alone weighs something close to 1650 lbs without the blades. I don t know if ED is planning to utilize the E model blades (which are thicker and shorter, and have swept tips). 

IMG_0574.jpg

The above picture shows the differences between the A model EFAB and the D model EFAB pictured below. 

The D model has much bigger and wider EFABs, and the left side is much larger than the right. 

IMG_0573.jpg

This photo of the Apache is the "E" model, or Block III, also known as the "Guardian". The Blades are fatter and thicker and include swept tips. The ASPI mod is seen on the back of the engines instead of the squared off exhaust that was common on pre mod 2005 Block I/II models. Don t ask me what it stands for because I can hardly remember the acronym. The ASPI mod is the swept up exhaust that pushes it in to the rotor system for dispelling the heat. They re made from inconel, a very high temperature and corrosion resistant material. It also eats drill bits like crazy. 

IMG-0113.JPG

This last picture was taken on family day at my old unit. I was part of the 1/285th ARB based out of Pinal Airpark, MZJ, Arizona. I was a 15D20 Prop and Rotor repairer, and got to spend a lot of time working with crew chiefs and the armament shop. While I won t pretend to know everything about the helicopter, I d say working on them over 4 years has given me a pretty good understanding of how the bird works and what it entails. Ill try and answer whatever questions I can.

Enjoy the photos and hope these motivate you for early access.

• Like 23

• 4 months later...

Integrated uploader / downloader for the gun (I never had the chance to use. I got out before the D's rolled out) seems like a great idea. To load in through the FAB, rather than attaching a clunky abomination to the bottom of the gun and loading in from there with like 5" clearance from the ground. From what I can tell, MTADS and TADS don't even exist in the same universe in terms of quality. And the removal of the direct view optics in the D was a great move, in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

My Box

Intel i10-850k, 32GB 3600 DDR, 1TB Crucial M.2 NVMe drive, RTX1080ti "Armor", Rift-S, and a piece of crap low end TM "HOTAS". Hopefully something good inbound

--------

Wishlist

AH-64 (any model)

MH-60

F-117

F-15E

17 hours ago, e4mafia said:

Integrated uploader / downloader for the gun (I never had the chance to use. I got out before the D's rolled out) seems like a great idea. To load in through the FAB, rather than attaching a clunky abomination to the bottom of the gun and loading in from there with like 5" clearance from the ground. From what I can tell, MTADS and TADS don't even exist in the same universe in terms of quality. And the removal of the direct view optics in the D was a great move, in my opinion.

For what its worth the side loader is an unreliable piece of trash, you didn't miss much.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, UnlikelyGM said:

For what its worth the side loader is an unreliable piece of trash, you didn't miss much.

I am pretty sure you haven't experienced the -A model loading process. Side loader is not too good but feeding 30mm directly into the gun is arguably worse.

Fair enough, no I have indeed not experienced the A model. I have however experienced the frustration of sitting hot on a FARP in Afghanistan getting delayed rearming because the side loader jammed. I also am the one sitting high and dry and not the one banging my head or crawling through the mud, so I may have some bias 😄

On 2/26/2021 at 12:22 PM, ApacheDoctor said:

Hey guys, as you can tell from my name, I might know something about this platform.

And then in the same thread a few posts later...

On 2/26/2021 at 12:22 PM, ApacheDoctor said:

Don t ask me what it stands for because I can hardly remember the acronym.

Strange way to establish your bona fides...

• Like 1

ASPI stands for "Aircraft Survivability Product Improvement" which sounds so generic that I'll probably have forgotten by tomorrow...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

8 hours ago, barundus said:

I'd check your aim on this one. 

Btw he did say :

On 2/27/2021 at 5:22 AM, ApacheDoctor said:

While I won t pretend to know everything about the helicopter

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, barundus said:

Well then, you could just not listen to him if you’re so unsure.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

This is actually what makes this sound credible to me. 🙂 Actual military people (and scientists as well) throw around ridiculously many acronyms without a second thought, but ask them what one of them actually stands for you have a good chance of getting a blank stare. Many things are only ever referred to by acronym, and they tend to be only explained once, if that. 

To wit: 

2012-06-22-Strip_208_Acronymity_web.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2021 at 7:57 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

This is actually what makes this sound credible to me. 🙂 Actual military people (and scientists as well) throw around ridiculously many acronyms without a second thought, but ask them what one of them actually stands for you have a good chance of getting a blank stare. Many things are only ever referred to by acronym, and they tend to be only explained once, if that. 

To wit: 

2012-06-22-Strip_208_Acronymity_web.gif

I remember fondly of my time in the Navy when I was a lowly ATAA asking my AT2 what the acronym he told me to go pull stood for and getting that deer in the headlights look.

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2021 at 5:06 PM, barundus said:

Well then clearly I have zero idea what I m talking about….

I know what its made out of, and what it does, but because I cannot explain what a 4 letter acronym is you think I’m clueless?

Let me ask you, what did you work on and do you still remember everything about it? If you do, Ill be shocked. 

I went on to become a pilot, three type ratings in three different airplanes, and thousands of hours in them. Yeah, sorry if one acronym slipped past buddy. Will try for perfection next time. 

Edited by ApacheDoctor
  • Like 7

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, mkiii said:

I feel your pain. I worked on Puma Wessex and Chinook for years, and nowadays, the only things I can remember for certain is what colour they were. Didn't become a pilot though, except in my mind.

Were they green? 

Well then clearly I have zero idea what I m talking about….

I know what its made out of, and what it does, but because I cannot explain what a 4 letter acronym is you think I’m clueless?

Let me ask you, what did you work on and do you still remember everything about it? If you do, Ill be shocked. 

I went on to become a pilot, three type ratings in three different airplanes, and thousands of hours in them. Yeah, sorry if one acronym slipped past buddy. Will try for perfection next time. 

Welcome to the internetz. Land of the earthly entitled “expert” opinions and politics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

I'd be curious to hear more about the internal differences? The only one I know of is that the D model is Longbow radar compatible though it doesn't always fly with it equipped. I imagine there's a number of other avionics improvements?

Edited by Essah

• ED Team

Aside from the cockpit differences, the AH-64D has an entirely different avionics processing capability (and concept) behind it compared to the AH-64A.  The D-model has an upgraded communications suite (including the networking aspect of the Delta's targeting system), integrated GPS technology (although AH-64A's were retrofitted with basic GPS navigation in the 90's), more integration between cockpits allowing more duties to be shared when appropriate or necessary, and provisions for more munition options.  That's just the key points though.  There is a lot more stuff "under-the-hood" that is different, but most of them are minute system details that aren't worth talking about in the grand scheme of things.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• 3 weeks later...