RAM up from 16 to 32 but same FPS

pauldy

I just upgraded to 2.5 a month ago and recently upgraded my RAM from 16 to 32GB DDR4.. in hopes to increase my FPS

but so far, its seems no different to the time I had a 16gb

I have vsync on to cap fps to 60.
My fps used to dip at 30 when around Dubai or when the cloud cover is @ 8 density when in the Caucasus map back then.
After upgrading to 32gb memory, i still get the same fps.

I prolly have a potato rig though:
 i3-10100

GTX 1650
DCS installed in Samsung SATA M.2 500GB SSD with windows 10 64 bit

To increase my fps, perhaps I need to upgrade my card or even processor as well?
Although that's something I can't do within the year, as i just bought this Rig last month. ^^;

ramperf.JPG

Screen_210227_121236.png

Edited by pauldy
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The instances you describe (low fps around Dubai etc) sound like GPU-related bottlenecks.

It would help if you posted a screenshot of your settings, we'd be able to help more.

Some quick suggestions: Shadows to Medium or Low , Terrain Shadows to Flat or Off, Visibility Range to High or below, Resolution or Cockpit Displays to 512, Mirrors off.

The 32gb will help in bigger/longer missions and in multiplayer, so it's definitely not a waste, don't worry about that. However, if you can return it and go for another GPU or an i5, you might get better use out of it, right now. Depends on what maxes out, while the rest aren't maxed.

• Like 2

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

More RAM will not mean (in general) more FPS. You can load more "game" into RAM with 32GB instead of 16GB which gives an overall smoother game, depending on what is loaded and how many RAM is used, Caucasus is less RAM hungry then Syria for instance. It's not a waste.

But if you want more FPS, find out what causes the dip in FPS, either your CPU will struggle or your GPU will struggle when it happens. Upgrade the one which causes the most frequent dips gives you overall the biggest benefit.

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 3

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I see.. i just had a gut feeling my pc just being a potato after all. Guess the best thing i could do is to adjust my settings and hopefully get better fps.

While we're at it, What processor & gpu should i get to get smoother frames? or at least constant 60fps when vsync on.
For single player & non-vr scenarios only. I don't plan to play multiplayer or VR so yeah..

I guess i could save up for an upgrade after a year or two.. My board is a potato MSI b460m pro vdh wifi with 550 watt psu gold rated.. I prefer CPU & GPU combos that are compatible with that.

These are my current settings:

Screen_210227_171809.png

Edited by pauldy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

5 hours ago, pauldy said:

i3-10100

GTX 1650
DCS installed in Samsung SATA M.2 500GB SSD with windows 10 64 bit

To increase my fps, perhaps I need to upgrade my card or even processor as well?

Yeah, that's going to be a GPU issue I'm afraid. I only have a GTX 1080, which is getting pretty outdated now, but even still... I checked my GPU's performance against yours and this was the result - https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1650-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4039vs3603 - Half the framerates across the board. Despite the fact that mine was released 3 years before the 1650.

It's an issue of bottlenecking really. It doesn't matter how much you upgrade one part of a PC, you need to upgrade it all more or less in tandem.

I'd personally recommend saving up for a while and getting a good PC, and for now just putting the settings lower...

• Like 2

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

I tried setting the MSAA down to 2x & OFF.
Turning off MSAA seems to yield the biggest improvement.

Though I'll just compromise on 2x MSAA..

I just couldn't stand the jagginess without MSAA. Even in 1.5.6 DCS, i had MSAA. It also makes the F-15 HUD harder to read too.
I was planning to buy Syria Map once it's out of beta. I guess i shouldn't bother with my current Rig... 

For reference, will the 1660 super be good since I only have an i3 10100? or should i get 3060 or it's AMD equivalent.. or do i have to buy a more powerful processor and gpu all together. ..can't do that right now though.. i'm kinda broke.

Eitherway.. this hobby seems to have been always expensive.. Maybe once DCS upgrades to another major build evolution.. say 3.0, I'll be out of the loop again and stay with the depreciated version for a year or two.. 😞

lmao guess i should just quit and just move on to weeb mobages or something..

Screen_210227_210844.png

Edited by pauldy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You CPU is okay, so you are fine there. You can look into overclocking it to squeeze out a little more performance.

in your case I’d look into picking up a 1080Ti second hand as that would give you a nice boost. 

• Like 1

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

4 hours ago, pauldy said:

I tried setting the MSAA down to 2x & OFF.
Turning off MSAA seems to yield the biggest improvement.

Though I'll just compromise on 2x MSAA..

I just couldn't stand the jagginess without MSAA. Even in 1.5.6 DCS, i had MSAA. It also makes the F-15 HUD harder to read too.
I was planning to buy Syria Map once it's out of beta. I guess i shouldn't bother with my current Rig... 

For reference, will the 1660 super be good since I only have an i3 10100? or should i get 3060 or it's AMD equivalent.. or do i have to buy a more powerful processor and gpu all together. ..can't do that right now though.. i'm kinda broke.

Eitherway.. this hobby seems to have been always expensive.. Maybe once DCS upgrades to another major build evolution.. say 3.0, I'll be out of the loop again and stay with the depreciated version for a year or two.. 😞

lmao guess i should just quit and just move on to weeb mobages or something..

Yep gamins is expesive specially if you play these kind of games,

don't know about your financial status, are you a student etc... but going for 3060 atm will set you down for at least 1000€, cause it is a TI version and I don't think normal 3060 is out yet, anyways no1 is buying those atm cause there is none and if there are some they are way too expensive. All due to semiconductor shortages in the whole world.

Getting a used 2060 Super, thats about 300€ - 400€ and it will boost you a lot.

Your CPU is of newer generations but not that gamer friendly, you would be better off with an i5, preferably the one that as a K at the end of its model name. that's the overclockable one and basically a downgraded i7, very good proc for the money you will spend on it.

But CPU is good for now don't worry too much about it.

I'd suggest Ryzen in the future tho.

RAM, 32 gigs is a lot but it all comes down to its frequency, I played a lot of games and I've never seen any use more than 8gb, so having 16gb is ok, just so can run stuff in the background, better to buy some with higher freq 3000 MHz and up

hope this halps a bit ;D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Furiz said:

I played a lot of games and I've never seen any use more than 8gb

Then i guess you didn't play DCS yet i bet? And certainly not on the Syria map.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

11 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

Then i guess you didn't play DCS yet i bet? And certainly not on the Syria map.

i believe the poster means games other than DCS. to that point, other games are generally not hundreds of thousands of square kilometers in map size.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

This is Through the Inferno MP server, with about 15 ppl online

Started up my plane,

Screenshot (2).png

This is the highest I got, it was loading the SC:

Screenshot (3).png

Cant upload more for some reason, anyway I was spamming F11 to get through the airfields and it went up to 4GB,

you can see I have max preload radius and vis range to extreme.

so basically you don't need more than 8 GB to run any game, the problem occurs if that RAM is slow or slower than CPU, so the RAM gets clogged up and gets up to probably 16GB and more of usage,

that happens when CPU is faster and feeding the RAM faster than RAM can take and process, so having fast RAM is very good idea, and it is better than having tons of slow RAM.

I have 16GB at 3600MHz with i5 9600KF, GPU is Strix 2060 Super Advanced OC with 8GB of Vram. its not 10k euro computer but its it set up fine, so it runs good.

• Like 1

Thanks all^^

Though i have a b460m board. So i guess, i can only have the intel cpus for upgrade.

I do plan to upgrade my gpu and processor too.. Maybe when i get lots of bonuses in my rank and file job ^^

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have SSAA off 

I took all of your advices and adjusted the settings. I had MSAA to 2x and Vsync on in the Nvidia panel, since there's some light tearing. My fps also doesn't feel smooth when the frames are going up and down from 70 to 100+. My monitor is an older Philips model too so yeah.

The frames seems ok enough when clouds are in density 8.

Thanks again^

Screen_210228_110518.png

Screen_210228_110328.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just do like I do.  Turn all your graphics settings down.  I have mine on all low.  Play with a 7 year old computer that gives me between 30 - 100 fps.

It's not bad when you get used to it.  Save your money and wait for computer parts to come down in price.  They're ridiculous right now.

• Like 1

A bit more RAM in use in Syria map, not even on multiplayer but an instant action mission: The Gauntlet...

image.png

With Rivatuner these are the results: 

- First one, in game menu (before mission start). At that point, Riva shows a RAM use of 5,7 GB.

image.png

- Second measurement, a bit into the mission:

RAM use: 22,4 GB

GPU RAM is completely filled at 11GB.

image.png

• Like 2