Thinking of getting a VR

Hi Guys,

As the tittle mentioned, what will be the best option for a VR set. I know there are a few out there but i would like to invest in a good VR set with good resolution which is worth the money. Any suggestions please?

Thank you

If you want Peace, be prepared to fight for it ! :pilotfly:

You might want to list your system specs.

HP Reverb G2 is one of the better ones out there today with it's high native resolution, however also needs a beefy rig to run at that resolution.

Lots of good info in the VR subforum.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

3 hours ago, dburne said:

You might want to list your system specs.

HP Reverb G2 is one of the better ones out there today with it's high native resolution, however also needs a beefy rig to run at that resolution.

Lots of good info in the VR subforum.

Hi,

Following are my system specs,

AMD RYZEN 9 5950X | 4.9 GHZ | 16 Cores 32 Threads

MOTHERBOARD (ULTRACORE) : ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming

GRAPHICS CARD (ULTRACORE) : ASUS RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB

RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (Ultracore/Explorer) : 32GB Corsair Vengence RGB PRO 3600mhz ( 4X8GB )

CPU COOLING SYSTEM (Desktop) : WATERCOOLING : NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm (LED Display)

Primary Solid State Drive (NVME | M.2 | DESKTOP) : 1TB AORUS GEN4 SSD (R: 5000 | W: 4400) (B550|X570 MB Only)

Secondary Solid State Drive Bay : 1TB NVME Gen4 SSD AORUS

First Hard Drive (Optimal Series) : 2TB TOSHIBA 7200RPM HDD SECOND HARD DRIVE (DT) :

POWER SUPPLY UNIT (Premium Range) : 850W Superflower Leadex3 80+ Gold

Certified PSU (Fully Modular) OPERATING SYSTEM : Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Thank you

If you want Peace, be prepared to fight for it ! :pilotfly:

I don't see that 'puter as limiting 🙂 Another consideration would be usage . Seated sim-only play ? Or do you anticipate enjoying room-scale vr as well ?

More into "plug and play" or do you have a high tolerance for tweaking ?

G2 , Rift S , Index and Pimax all have their adherents , and pluses and minuses . Rather than seeking recommendations , i advise doing your own (thorough) web research , as no one save you can establish your own priorities , i.e. fov , colors , clarity , comfort , refresh rate , audio , software etc .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

19 hours ago, gizmo said:

Hi,

RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (Ultracore/Explorer) : 32GB Corsair Vengence RGB PRO 3600mhz ( 4X8GB )

CPU COOLING SYSTEM (Desktop) : WATERCOOLING : NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm (LED Display)

Primary Solid State Drive (NVME | M.2 | DESKTOP) : 1TB AORUS GEN4 SSD (R: 5000 | W: 4400) (B550|X570 MB Only)

First Hard Drive (Optimal Series) : 2TB TOSHIBA 7200RPM HDD SECOND HARD DRIVE (DT) :

Thank you

Looks like you would be set ok for a Reverb G2.

That would be my recommendation.

Has a bit of a learning curve with it, but once set up properly it is a great headset.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Worth being aware of the known issue with USB connection on AMD motherboards to the G2.  It’s easy to search and see comments about it.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

26 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Worth being aware of the known issue with USB connection on AMD motherboards to the G2.

X570 chipset, not AMD mainboards in general. Will hopefully soon be fixed via UEFI update. But you're right, this is something the TO should be aware of when looking at the G2 as he owns a X570 mb.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

On 2/27/2021 at 3:49 PM, gizmo said:

Hi,

Thank you

Before committing to purchasing a headset, you might want to wait for the next generation, since anyway there is little chances for you to get your hand on one G2 right now.

I had one, I liked the clarity of the optics but the FoV is not much of an improvement over the previous generation or even the CV1 I had before it and I was disapointed by the size of the sweetspot after a while using it.

Then it was a pain in the @ss to get to work from day one, Windows Mixed Reality is trash to say the least and after a while the whole thing refused to work completely, it couldn't be identified by Windows Mixed reality or even Steam VR even so it showed up just fine in Windows settings, I got a refund from HP without any problem which make me think that they knew there are issues with the G2. Just look at the number of G2 for sale second hand...

I'm not gonna buy another G2, I prefer to wait for an alternative among which, this one... https://www.deca.net/decagear/

Now is not the right time to buy anytrhing, even less a headset for the simple reason that manufacturing is slow due to the pendemic, quality suffers as well at every levels, you have chips burning and other things you won't see happening in normal times,  but in the case of VR, there are new technologies being brought by diverse manufacturers, at the time one might be able to buy a headset of the G2 generation, there might be something newer on the market.

4 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Worth being aware of the known issue with USB connection on AMD motherboards to the G2.  It’s easy to search and see comments about it.

Not AMD board in general but a chipset when not updated, I didn't have any issues with my B450 at this level, all USB 2 and 3 worked perfectly, when HP support contacted me we went through a lot of checking and testing, it was them who took the decision of a refund, I wanted this headset to work.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

In the meantime do some searching for the term 'sweet spot reverb G2' . 

There's some differing opinions about it, some say it's really small. 
Others say your eyes need to adjust. 
Others say that because of the high res, you notice the (small) sweetspot much more than with other lower res headsets. 
And some say that you need to get a bit lucky with the way the headset fits your head. 

As a G2 owner, i personally feel that :
- Yes the sweetspot is small , and i think that is because of a combination of that it's more noticable because of the higher res, AND how the G2 fits on my face. 

*edited because triggered by grammar error. 

Edited by Csgo GE oh yeah