Apache control mapping recommendation from a REAL Apache pilot

I saw you're using Xpadder but I was able to get the same outcome from joytokey which is free.

Instead of using software to rebind the buttons to get around the axis issue, I just set the Axis5 (on xbox controller) to be the same as the default bindings in DCS, for example weapon firing in the Hind is RAlt + Space, so that's what my Axis5<0 i.e. Right Trigger on Xbox controller does.

When the Apache comes I'll just set it up to do Axis5<0 and Axis5>0 as whatever are the default binds for CPG firing weapons and laser.

• Like 1

I think reversing the modifier bumper on the controller would allow the d-pad to be used for George real easily.  I think for single player gunners using George and the xbox controller will be a great tool.  Can't wait until it comes out today.

Also, where can I find a blank xbox controller template.  Been creating my own thrustmaster controls, but want to document the xbox controller as well.  

Coder - Oculus Rift Guy - Court Jester

Good stuff!

I used a similar setup with a PlayStation DS4 when I first got in to DCS. I managed to control the A-10C with only a Thrustmaster TFlight4 HOTAS, very limited on buttons.

I mapped most of the Warthog type throttle functions to the DS4, and the left analog stick made an excellent cursor slew. Used a bit of velcro tape to attach it to the arm of my chair just behind the throttle.

Even with as many buttons as I have now using the NXT Gladiator and a X-56 throttle, I'm thinking the gunner seat will be much easier if I add the the DS4 back into the mix.

At the moment, I haven't a clue what to map/where... thanks OP.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Just mounted my LHG/RHG controls... off to mapping.

HOCAS.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

8 minutes ago, Magic Man said:

Why use a game controller for the cp/g rather than just the same stick/throttle used for the pilot? More hats and controls.

You know, that did occur to me about 3/4 of the way mapping the DS4. Now I'm going to replicate it the CPG HOTAS (HOCAS?)

I think I was under the assumption I'd be flying while up there too.  Thanks George 🙂

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

On 3/18/2022 at 9:59 PM, Sr. said:

Just mounted my LHG/RHG controls... off to mapping.

HOCAS.jpg

how do you use a PS4 controller with PC ?

18 hours ago, Magic Man said:

Why use a game controller for the cp/g rather than just the same stick/throttle used for the pilot? More hats and controls.

because I like to be able to fly and control the copter from the CPG seat as well

• Like 1

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

1 hour ago, FZG_Immel said:

how do you use a PS4 controller with PC ?

because I like to be able to fly and control the copter from the CPG seat as well

Connect using USB cable or Bluetooth.

Cable preferably. Windows 10/11 recognize natively.

--Arthur C Clark

4 hours ago, Sr. said:

Connect using USB cable or Bluetooth.

Cable preferably. Windows 10/11 recognize natively.

doesnt seem to work here

EDIT: nevermind it works !

Edited by FZG_Immel
  • Like 1

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

I did this with a PS4 controller and its absolutely amazing ! Thanks !

7 hours ago, jnr4817 said:

I am really leaning this way for CPG. So the PS5 controller worked out of the box without an issue and was recognized in windows joy and DCS?

Yes, my PS4 controller was recognize as a joystick/peripheral, in windows and DCS (named 'wireless controller), but with the caveat that the 2 ministick were recognized as axis.

I use a little program called 'antimicro' to turn any joystick axis plugged into you computer as a keyboard input if you want, so that worked just fine.  I just turned one of the ministicks into a 4 way hat (then of course you have to attribute a keystroke to these axis, you dont get a dx input out of these), and I got the same exact configuration as the Xbox controller posted in here. 

You can save your profile in antimicro, and just have to launch it before you fly the apache. works fine. 

so basically antimicro tell my computer that one of the ministick is a 4 way hat, and also which keystroke corresponds to each way. all the rest has been programmed in DCS as a DirectX button

Edited by FZG_Immel

Total newb here and I am trying to copy these key bindings. I have no idea what the terminologies mean or where to find them in the DCS controls set up. would it be possible to show what the actions actually say in the sim for dumb dumbs like me that have no clue? RTS, FTR etc. 

17 hours ago, Rave said:

Total newb here and I am trying to copy these key bindings. I have no idea what the terminologies mean or where to find them in the DCS controls set up. would it be possible to show what the actions actually say in the sim for dumb dumbs like me that have no clue? RTS, FTR etc. 

I found them by searching for those terms in the controls set up. Also, the pdf manual is located in the folder structure of your installation (also available for download on the main page). That helps, too.

Anyway, RTS is short for Radio Transmit Select, so it is used to call up the interactive radio menu and FTR is short for Forced Trim, so that is your trim button

I have the TM Warthog HOTAS and a shiny new AH-64D I need to fly. This thread looks interesting but I have a few questions. I need to buy an Xbox controller and prefer a wired one so is there a certain model I need like an Xbox 360? I see a bunch of aftermarket controllers on ebay and I assume that a Sony controller would be best? And on the keyboard binding software which one is the best so I don't have to fiddle around with all three of these I found. XPadder or JoyToKey or Antimicro?

Thanks

edit: I guess after some more research I could use a PS3 or and XBox controller but I just want to but a quality controller and preferably wired. Still want opinions on XPadder and JoyToKey as I never used either one.

edit #2: I found this and it works great for the TM Warthog HOTAS with or without pedals.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3321306/

Edited by davebert
Added link to TM Warthog profile

On 10/27/2021 at 12:37 AM, Draken35 said:

I'm using this mount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P2VK93P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feels really good and it should work with wired gamepads too

Great setup! I'm going to grab the xbox mount and give this a try.

Also, did you fabricate the warthog mount? I've been thinking of doing this with my one just been putting it off. I'll need an extension like yours, is that an off the shelf product?

cheers

9 hours ago, spikenet said:

Great setup! I'm going to grab the xbox mount and give this a try.

Also, did you fabricate the warthog mount? I've been thinking of doing this with my one just been putting it off. I'll need an extension like yours, is that an off the shelf product?

cheers

Thanks! That’s an Openwheeler seat with a bunch of their addons, also from amazon 

Edited by Draken35

On 2/27/2021 at 9:23 AM, bradmick said:

Howdy!

Been thinking on this for a while and seen some traffic in various Discords about how to map the controls of the Apache. This is my recommendation! The way I plan on doing this personally is the XBox and Warthog Combo, but I did a version where everything is mapped to the Warthog using the pinky switch as the mode selector. It covers all of the critical functions for the front seat and some of the Collective Mission/Flight grip items useful to the pilot or someone who's solo'ing the aircraft. Granted, this is 100% subject to change based on what we ACTUALLY get, but hey, it's a start! Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1VOGq5rAgwdCn288y7fmE8Ontksc-ZEJVCbT9zVZP_kM/edit#slide=id.gbb35f7e78e_1_1388

And yes, I am a real Apache pilot, like the title says. Been flying them since 2009.

V/R

BradMick

You wouldn't by chance have a profile for the Winwing (SUPER LIBRA+SUPER TAURUS)?  Thanks TC

Win 10 Pro 64bit | Half X F/T Case | Corsair 1200AT ps | Asus ROG Maximums XIII Extreme | I9 11900K Clocked@4200 | Nepton 240 W/C | 64GB DDR4-3600 Gskill Mem | Asus 3080 gpu/8gb | SB-Z audio | Asus 32" 1440 Monitor | Winwing Super Tauras/Super Libra | Crosswind R/P | Track-ir-5 |

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 4:01 AM, NWGJulian said:

i made two seperate sheets now: one for pilot and another for the gunner.

the sheet from my pdf above was basically for the gunner (tedac controls).

the pilots sheet is obviously a lot simpler, because the whole tedac controls are missing.

this is all - as said before - 100% WIP, so expect large changes here as soon as the module arrives. as a non-apache pilot in reallife, there is obviously a lot of confusion about the controls itself, which hopefully gets solved when the EA hits.

but maybe they work as a starting point.

its also a lot of fun to create such sheets and generally to think into the controls of such a beast! 🙂 

ideas are - like always - welcomed!

AH-64D APACHE GUNNER TMWH HOTAS.pdf 1.13 MB · 243 downloads AH-64D APACHE PILOT TMWH HOTAS.pdf 1.12 MB · 255 downloads

Any update on these profiles? I'll print and setup my Warthog.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 12:20 PM, FZG_Immel said:

I'm thinking of trying an xbox controller too so I can see why it might be nice, however, its easy to fly from cpg even if you have configured it all for cpg duties.  Just use a switch modifier to change the important flight controls back to pilot style. So you request control and hit the modifier.

Edited by mbits
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

@bradmick any updates on the Feb 2022 posts? 

I can vouch for the Joytokey app. To but a registered version is only US$7.99 as of July 2022. 

Edited by Willie Nelson
I re-read the update on the PDF.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.