Nyogel 767 destroyed my throttle

suhast

Hello after 8 months of lubing my HOTAS cougar throttle with nyogel, I have noticed a decrease in resistance no matter how I turned the tension wheel. I opened it and discovered that the brake pad was completely destroyed, there were only little fragments, the most part had disappeared.

Has anyone experienced this? I think it is not plastic safe.

I‘m using the HOTAS Warthog, so I don‘t know how the Cougar is built. The mechanics of the throttle is based on friction, so I don‘t think greasing it with nyogel or anything else is a good idea.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

1 hour ago, suhast said:

Hello after 8 months of lubing my HOTAS cougar throttle with nyogel, I have noticed a decrease in resistance no matter how I turned the tension wheel. I opened it and discovered that the brake pad was completely destroyed, there were only little fragments, the most part had disappeared.

It depends what material the brake pad really was about. 

You can always contact them to ask that what plastics it can resolve: https://www.nyelubricants.com

After all it is used in the electronics industry on the plastic parts, like volume knobs, sliders and such as the dampening grease.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

41 minutes ago, norbot said:

I‘m using the HOTAS Warthog, so I don‘t know how the Cougar is built. The mechanics of the throttle is based on friction, so I don‘t think greasing it with nyogel or anything else is a good idea.

The dampening greases has two effect, one is that they lubricate so there is less friction. And the mechanical friction is what is used on these cheap gaming devices to give "resistance" for movement. But what makes dampening greases different from a lubricating greases, is that they will dampen the movement, causing resistance in them. This way you do not wear the plastic parts as plastic against plastic or plastic against metal, but you have the grease between the surfaces and while the grease needs to "squeeze" and move, it is resisting that movement and cause so on dampening. 

So while you are removing the mechanical friction, you get dampened smooth motion instead. But, you will lose the adjustment capability as you can not add mechanical friction anymore such a amount.

But, if you have a large surface area to apply that dampening grease, it will give good fluid movement with very nice force. 

• Thanks 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I can only comment on the Hawg throttle which I liberally applied Nyogel too

I found the friction wheel action is not as effective as prior to application, BUT the throttle levers are now Buttery smooth.

IMHO there's more than sufficent friction for my needs, although, that is a subjective opinion & I'm really glad I did it.

Sorry to hear though about your bad experience with Nyogel

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 10:37 AM, suhast said:

The small pads are more rubber than plastic. To me it sounds like Nyogel seems to be incompatible with rubber. I read a lot of posts and all said it is plastic safe. Maybe there is a different behavior on rubber, like mentioned. Good news are, that you can buy the rubber parts as spares from Thrustmaster. I also got a small PDF displaying how to replace them. I don´t remember the price, but it wasn´t that much.

I´m using the grease out of this thread: Link to Molykote Post I used it at the rubber pads as well but it didn´t improve the movement for a long time but at least stopped the wear I did experience before (small rubber particles inside of the housing).

Edited by xoxen

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

• 1 year later...

Do you mind posting the 3D file for this perhaps? I have a Cougar throttle somewhere that I've lubed with same Nyogel a year ago, so presume the rubber bits are also toast by now.

Presumably the 3D printed parts will be resistant to Nyogel and a friend can print me these for free..

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 10 months later...

I haven't actually tried it yet, because I moved and the Cougar throttle is in the old place still (I use WinWing throttle currently). Hope to get a chance to try it next time I go back there.

• Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!