Carrier battle group

BeauL19

This page also has some useful information on formations/positions and related tactics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Carrier_Group_tactics

It’s impotent to understand that the vast majority images available of carrier battle groups are just PR photo ops. Actual, combat formations tend to be much more spread out, as described in this quote from the above link.

“The units of the outer screen operate between 12 and 25 nautical miles (22 and 46 km) from the main body. The inner screen is within 10 nautical miles (19 km) of the HVUs(carrier).”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, norman99 said:

Actual, combat formations tend to be much more spread out, as described in this quote from the above link.

“The units of the outer screen operate between 12 and 25 nautical miles (22 and 46 km) from the main body. The inner screen is within 10 nautical miles (19 km) of the HVUs(carrier).”

While that is true, I think in DCS compressed fleets tend to do a little better. From my own testing, the SM-2 is the best defense for the carrier against incoming missiles and placing them close to the carrier allows more shots and more accuracy on incoming attacks. Closely packed ships also allow for more effective CIWS defense, which is the next best thing besides the SM-2.

The exception to all of this is if placing SM-2 launchers further out prevents enemy attack aircraft from launching at the carrier in the first place.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Template No but Harpia Books has a book about 21st Century Carrier Aviation

It shows the type of ships protecting the Carrier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I almost forgot Berkeley’s Case I mission shows you the right spacing for your carrier

And the types

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

• 10 months later...
On 1/11/2022 at 11:34 PM, norman99 said:

Realistic carrier group formation, with substantially greater distances/separation than what is normal in DCS. Probably only suitable for the Marianas map.

4592AE80-EFF6-4EDE-90CC-5570FA710D37.png

Thank you for the graph and stating this. IRL, it is rare to see all the ships in the CVBG unless it's a dog and pony show going on or a PhotoEx! My only concern (not really) is the 24-hour CAP! I think that maybe from back in the day! We stopped flying usually after 0100/0200. That gives night check a chance to reset the deck for the next day! After the last recovery (Final, final) we wrap it up and position the Alerts in spots where they can immediately be launched! Spot on otherwise!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

14 minutes ago, norman99 said:

@Jackjack171 Yeah, I assume the 24 hour CAP would only be for a combat, high threat scenario, rather than a "normal", non combat deployment.

My last combat deployment was in 2017. On the Air Plan, the CAP was called DCA. I'm not sure where they went exactly but it wasn't like your traditional CAP from the 80's. or Top Gun and such. For the amount of time that they were gone, I believe that they went inland. This was really close to the time that that Super Hornet shot down that Syrian SU-22! A 24-hour CAP would leave you with no deck reset, which is important for a variety of reasons! After recovery, we set alerts for the remainder of the night! When Flight quarters is called in the AM, the Alerts were stood down or downgraded. This happened every day! Since the "threat" was/is different, the CVBG was no longer worried about Backfire bombers and such! On the days that we did not fly, the Alerts are set as well! Now that's a 24-hour thing! An Iranian drone got close to the carrier several times as well as low flying helicopters. We launched the Alerts a few times. It's just a different time now. True story, (ten years ago) we launched alerts in the Sea of Japan for a Russian Bear, a few minutes later, I got my first glimpse of a real Bear bomber in formation with our alert birds that we had just launched! 

The only time that I've been on a non-combat deployment was in the FDNF! But even then, we never ran 24/7 CAP. It's just not practical!
Keep in mind, I'm not a pilot, just an old Flight Deck Chief! I hope this helps you guys with your mission creations!

• Like 8

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2022 at 3:02 AM, Jackjack171 said:

My last combat deployment was in 2017. On the Air Plan, the CAP was called DCA. I'm not sure where they went exactly but it wasn't like your traditional CAP from the 80's. or Top Gun and such. For the amount of time that they were gone, I believe that they went inland. This was really close to the time that that Super Hornet shot down that Syrian SU-22! A 24-hour CAP would leave you with no deck reset, which is important for a variety of reasons! After recovery, we set alerts for the remainder of the night! When Flight quarters is called in the AM, the Alerts were stood down or downgraded. This happened every day! Since the "threat" was/is different, the CVBG was no longer worried about Backfire bombers and such! On the days that we did not fly, the Alerts are set as well! Now that's a 24-hour thing! An Iranian drone got close to the carrier several times as well as low flying helicopters. We launched the Alerts a few times. It's just a different time now. True story, (ten years ago) we launched alerts in the Sea of Japan for a Russian Bear, a few minutes later, I got my first glimpse of a real Bear bomber in formation with our alert birds that we had just launched! 

The only time that I've been on a non-combat deployment was in the FDNF! But even then, we never ran 24/7 CAP. It's just not practical!
Keep in mind, I'm not a pilot, just an old Flight Deck Chief! I hope this helps you guys with your mission creations!

Thank you for your service and for sharing your insight/experience 🙂

Be safe,

Best regards from Portugal.

F.

• Thanks 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

I honestly don’t know how navalaviators do it day in and day out

Scary enough landing on a boat in daytime but at night or in the wx wow talk about big titanium ones

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD