Forrestal Update?

I just want a proper deck to fly my community A-4 from. The other carriers are great and I love the F-14. But the A-4 needs a ship to match it. The Forrestal fits so many situations, IMHO. Static Whales and SH-2's, A-6/A-7's...I could go on and on! Oh well, one can dream!

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

1 hour ago, R. Winters said:

Would love to see a 70's-80's air wing. F-14A's, A-6E's, F-8's/A-7s. F-4's because phantoms are cool and would be a lovely touch. AI aircraft such as A-3/A-5/RA-5c and updated and new models of other stuff. Kitty hawk class, the Forrestal-which we are obviously getting- but the Ranger, Saratoga, Independence. The Enterprise. Various support ships, like destroyers and cruisers of the time. A Iowa class BB. Just imagine you're in a virtual squadron, so in my case JTF-1 VF-2. Now you do a Vietnam era campaign or "tour" aboard one of the various carriers as a F-4 squadron. The whole air wing, so about 4-5 squadrons all switch to the appropriate air wing aircraft of the late 60's, early 70's. And you do the various missions that the aircraft actually did over Vietnam, so F-4's cap/strike or what ever. A-6/A-7 strike a bridge. The F-8s also doing cap. "AI" Ra-5c's doing recon missions. Then the -4 squadron transitions into a -14 squadron and yea. That is my dream for this game, very ambitious and will never happen because of reasons but food for thought.

We got close to something like this with the Strike Fighters series. The semi-dynamic campaigns could sometimes cover years of combat and the squadrons would cycle through combat duty and upgrade aircraft by date settings. While aircraft, avionics, and weapon performance was as realistic as possible, the avionics functions and operations were not fully simulated. The focus was more about the tactics and less about button pushing.

It was pretty neat to play, being part of an alpha strike launching from several carriers on Yankee Station or elsewhere, and it was VERY easy to mod. Still has probably the best representation of how modex numbers function in any flight sim I have yet seen. Unfortunately the developer walked away from it in 2013 and it hasn't been updated or upgraded since.

• Like 2

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

16 minutes ago, Swordsman422 said:

We got close to something like this with the Strike Fighters series. The semi-dynamic campaigns could sometimes cover years of combat and the squadrons would cycle through combat duty and upgrade aircraft by date settings. While aircraft, avionics, and weapon performance was as realistic as possible, the avionics functions and operations were not fully simulated. The focus was more about the tactics and less about button pushing.

It was pretty neat to play, being part of an alpha strike launching from several carriers on Yankee Station or elsewhere, and it was VERY easy to mod. Still has probably the best representation of how modex numbers function in any flight sim I have yet seen. Unfortunately the developer walked away from it in 2013 and it hasn't been updated or upgraded since.

Yeah I have  STF, Vietnam, and I always played it and thought Imagine this in DCS with fully crewed F-4's and A-6's and everything going to s*** because of sams and migs and then, flying at tree top level in full burner in a F-4-In the back seat in my depiction- while a Mig-17 is chasing you. That would be pretty neat/scary

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 10:53 PM, Blinde said:

Although new highly detailed carrier sounds good but how many actually want to start using simplified carrier without actual deck crew instead of the EDs Super Carrier? I mean, I haven't used the old Stennis since the release.

I assume that like said before, there isn't animated deck crew planned.

I am not interested in landing on a Ghost ship things have moved on many moons ago.

• Like 2

Will we ever get the correct engine displays for the F-14B, finally?

• Like 4

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

3 hours ago, RaisedByWolves said:

Two weeks!

Ah sure, my bad 😄

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

• 2 weeks later...

So its clear the Forrestal has Base Carrier features.. but, how about spawn points? will it still be 4 catapults only? 

Can someone give a more in depth information on that please? 

6 hours ago, Baco said:

So its clear the Forrestal has Base Carrier features.. but, how about spawn points? will it still be 4 catapults only? 

Most likely. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 7:35 AM, Baco said:

I'm going to take a guess here and say this also means basic ATC, which will be a massive shame, but if this is the case I understand that it's something limited by ED. Hopefully there will be a way in the future for the ATC to be added to 3d party carrier if you own the SC module. < unless you clever HB have already done this 😉 

Getting some words to clarify these 'base features' would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Usually when a big feature is coming a teaser vid comes out, screenshots, something. I'd keep my expectations low so if something unexpected does arrive, it's a fun surprise. It makes getting yourself hyped up about something that wasn't promised not a problem anymore.

Edited by LanceCriminal86
  • Like 2

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Yeah, given they haven't shown off too much of it and especially only renders of the FLOLS I wouldn't even expect it anytime soon at this point. Hoperully Saratoga will come shortly after as well for the true A&B experience. 😉

Edited by Skysurfer
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

Just a quick update on this front; we are preparing to launch our major F-14 patch and hopefully that will be wrapped together with a proper update on the Forrestal which will then be our target release for the next major DCS patch.

Will the Saratoga ship with the initial release as well or is this one planned for later?

Hmm I want Saratoga and Ranger more than Forrestal. If it was gonna be a one off,  Enterprise would have been my choice.  Hopefully it's at least friendly to a mod/livery to change the number easy.  

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

1 hour ago, Uxi said:

Hmm I want Saratoga and Ranger more than Forrestal. If it was gonna be a one off,  Enterprise would have been my choice.  Hopefully it's at least friendly to a mod/livery to change the number easy.  

Well, according to their Trello board Forrestal and Saratoga are planned initially and Ranger + Independence are to come later as those need more modeling work and changes. I think for an 80's to early 90's scenario the initial two ships are a must since you could operate the 14A and B from them. Let alone the fact that Saratoga could be used for the 14B capaign to make it so much more accurate.