The 109 is too good

27 minutes ago, Peter5on said:

What is the best tactics to fight with Spitfire? Turn fight doesn't work for me as i always lose. I would rather fight P-51 with K4 than K4 with Spit. As i see Spit in the sky it like "here we go again" 😞

Never get into a turn fight with the Spit. Use your superior acceleration and top speed and Boom and Zoom. Which means go for an attack pass, and extend. If the Spit turns just keep extending and try and gain altitude. When you are comfortably above the Spit, turn back for another high speed pass. Rinse and repeat until you kill him, or you are bingo fuel (if he is good at evading) and have to turn back to base. Don't worry about the Spit coming after you, he will never be able to catch you. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Never get into a turn fight with the Spit. Use your superior acceleration and top speed and Boom and Zoom. Which means go for an attack pass, and extend. If the Spit turns just keep extending and try and gain altitude. When you are comfortably above the Spit, turn back for another high speed pass. Rinse and repeat until you kill him, or you are bingo fuel (if he is good at evading) and have to turn back to base. Don't worry about the Spit coming after you, he will never be able to catch you. 

unless it’s AI…

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Erich Hartmann tactics:
"ultimate and leading exponent of the
stalk-and-ambush tactics and he favoured the tactic of ambushing enemy air-
craft and firing at them from very close range, about 20 m, rather than becoming
involved in challenging and unnecessary dogfights. He learned this
tactic from one of his prior commanders, Walter Krupinski. It was a formidable
tactic in which he flew in such a manner as to only expose his position relative to
an enemy plane at the very last moment and then blaze away at them with his
Messerschmitt’s high-velocity 20 mm MG 151 cannon"

What i can tell you that works really well on SOW server 🙂
  • Like 2

08.08.2021 в 14:56, Marduk879 сказал:

Maybe youll correct me here guys but as far as my info goes no griffon spits were deployed as frontline(meaning on continental Europe).

Most of them were reserved as V-1 interceptors on British isles.

Possibility of K-4 meeting MkXIV is goddamn low.

This will be correct only for a limited period of time, until Autamn 1944.
First two squadron of Spitfire Mk XIV was assigned to 2nd TAF in April 1944 (91 and 322).
Both squadron from 6 till 18 June took part in Overlord as beachhead top covers.
Yes, from 18 June all of them were transferred to ADGB for anti-diver patrol duty.
But from September 1944 Mark XIV squadrons began to enter the 2TAF in increasing numbers.
First of them was 130 Sq at B.70 Antwerp/Deurn (30 September 1944, first combat sortie three days later).
In October 1944 just first small batch of Bf.109K-4 began reach active service units in Reich Defense . Four Squadron of 2TAF flying Mark XIV at this time.
Alfred Price wrote "From then (October 1944) until the end of war the Spitfire XIV was the main high altitude air superiority fighter operated by 2nd Tactical Air Force in northern Europe."
On the eve of 1945 as much as one third of 2TAF Spitfire's were Mark XIV.
Let's take a look at Bodenplatte OIB.
2TAF:
83 Group: 6 Mark XIV Squadrons and 8 Mark IX/XVI Sq.
84 Group: 2 Mark XIV Squadrons and 12 Mark IX/XVI Sq.
In December 1944 Luftwaffe have a 13 Gruppe with K-4, but here is little point in counting every single Luftwaffe Gruppe with K-4, because almost all of them has been mix of G-14 (and G-6 in some cases), G-10 and K-4, so I start counting every single K-4.
167 Bf.109K-4 at evening of 31 December 1944 in frontline units.
It’s an absolutely the same numbers as for Mark XIV in 2 TAF on continent.
So, if you looking for historically correct allied fighter for fall 1944 and first five months of 1945 – one and only right timeframe for K-4 and D-9 – a worthy opponent for Dora and Kurfurst, who flew and fight in adequate numbers, for Western front it may be only Spitfire Mk XIV.
And Mark XIV may be perfectly fit to both DCS WWII map. First RAF squadron to receive the Spitfire Mk XIV was 610 Sq, which was re-equipped in Jan-February 1944.
Of course, it's just a dream

1 hour ago, NordManMuzungu said:

This will be correct only for a limited period of time, until Autamn 1944.
First two squadron of Spitfire Mk XIV was assigned to 2nd TAF in April 1944 (91 and 322).
Both squadron from 6 till 18 June took part in Overlord as beachhead top covers.
Yes, from 18 June all of them were transferred to ADGB for anti-diver patrol duty.
But from September 1944 Mark XIV squadrons began to enter the 2TAF in increasing numbers.
First of them was 130 Sq at B.70 Antwerp/Deurn (30 September 1944, first combat sortie three days later).
In October 1944 just first small batch of Bf.109K-4 began reach active service units in Reich Defense . Four Squadron of 2TAF flying Mark XIV at this time.
Alfred Price wrote "From then (October 1944) until the end of war the Spitfire XIV was the main high altitude air superiority fighter operated by 2nd Tactical Air Force in northern Europe."
On the eve of 1945 as much as one third of 2TAF Spitfire's were Mark XIV.
Let's take a look at Bodenplatte OIB.
2TAF:
83 Group: 6 Mark XIV Squadrons and 8 Mark IX/XVI Sq.
84 Group: 2 Mark XIV Squadrons and 12 Mark IX/XVI Sq.
In December 1944 Luftwaffe have a 13 Gruppe with K-4, but here is little point in counting every single Luftwaffe Gruppe with K-4, because almost all of them has been mix of G-14 (and G-6 in some cases), G-10 and K-4, so I start counting every single K-4.
167 Bf.109K-4 at evening of 31 December 1944 in frontline units.
It’s an absolutely the same numbers as for Mark XIV in 2 TAF on continent.
So, if you looking for historically correct allied fighter for fall 1944 and first five months of 1945 – one and only right timeframe for K-4 and D-9 – a worthy opponent for Dora and Kurfurst, who flew and fight in adequate numbers, for Western front it may be only Spitfire Mk XIV.
And Mark XIV may be perfectly fit to both DCS WWII map. First RAF squadron to receive the Spitfire Mk XIV was 610 Sq, which was re-equipped in Jan-February 1944.
Of course, it's just a dream

Indeed.

Combat Reports

610 Squadron's Intelligence Officer recorded on 7 March, 1944 what may be the Spitfire XIV's first aerial combat:

Black section, (P/O Hussey and F/Sgt. Harding) were patrolling on an east west line about 20 miles south east of Start Point 500 feet above sea level, under the control of Kingswear C.H.L. Station.
     At approx 17.30 hours the Section was told to investigate unidentified aircraft 15 miles ahead, on a vector 120 degrees. After two minutes this vector was changed to 150 degress (At this time Black one was using only plus 12 lbs boost with his jet tank still on, and the A.S.I. was clocking about 350 miles per hour.) The section was now outside G.C.I. cover, but after about a minute 3 F.W. 190's appeared from 9 o'clock approx 200 feet below, flying in a fairly close vic on a rough vector of 240 degrees; visibility was bad owing to haze, and the section had hardly seen the E/A before they had passed underneath to 3 o'clock.
     Black Section immediately pulled round to the right, and it seemed that the E/A saw them at the same moment, for as our section turned on their tails, black smoke was seen pouring from their engines as they pushed everything forward and dived to sea level. The F.W. 190 on the left of the section turned south, and the other two turned away and disappeared into the haze and glare of the sun. Our section gave chase to the single F.W. 190 which at this time, was about 800 yards ahead, right on the deck. We closed without difficulty but when 400 yards away, Black 1 noticed a F.W. 190 making a quarter attack on him from between 4 and 5 o'clock, so gave the order to "break right". As he pulled up he saw the E/A fireing at him with insufficient deflection, and it appeared that the turning circle of the Spitfire XIV was better than that of the F.W. 190. Black 1, at 1,000 feet, was now in the haze and lost sight of the F.W. 190 and his No. 2.
     Black 2, who was on the left of Black 1, saw the F.W. 190 break off his attack on Black 1, and dive south west to sea level, so he rolled down to the left and got on to the tail of the F.W. 190 at a distance of about 800 yards (The F.W. 190 that our section had been chasing originally, had disappeared by this time)
     At first Black 2, did not close on the F.W. 190 as fast as he would have liked (probably due to the excitement, he forgot to jettison his tank with Black 1 at the commencement of the first chase. The addition of the jet tank would probably take off 30 miles per hour.) Another F.W. 190 now appeared ahead at about 11 o'clock, and joined formation on the left of the aircraft that Black 2 was chasing.
     Black 2 now found that he was closing in quite fast, around 400 I.A.S. and opened fire on the left hand F.W. 190 from dead astern at 300 yards he saw strikes on both wing roots and panels flew off the port mainplane as he closed to about 100 yards. Not until the strikes were observed did the other E/A take any action. Even then he did nothing for some time, then pulled straight up and round to the left, and tried to get on the tail of Black 2. Black 2 took a final squirt at his target whose only evasive action was pitching slightly up and down, before he broke into the other E/A which was trying to get on his tail (although clocking 360 m.p.h. the turning circle of the Spitfire seemed superior to that of the F.W. 190) The F.W. 190 fired at Black 2 but allowed insufficient deflection then broke off his attack and disappeared into the mist. The E/A was not seen again. 60

F/L J. B. Lawrence of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 6th October, 1944:

We were scrambled after Huns coming in from Venlo - Wesel area. I was flying Red 1 and led the squadron south. On following the vectors from Kenway we came up underneath the Huns as they were approaching Nijmegen. We climbed under a loose gaggle of 15 plus 109's when I sighted one 109 alone crossing in front of me. I turned into line astern and closed quickly. I fired one very short burst and the 109 went into a diving turn to starboard. I turned inside him and at about 20° off 200 yds. range I fired another burst of about 2 secs. Strikes were observed on cockpit and engine. Pieces flew off, and white and black smoke poured out. The enemy a/c turned into a steep spiral to port. He dived into the ground two or three miles S. of Nijmegen. I saw no parachute. I claim one Me 109 destroyed. All observed by Red. 2.
     After this engagement, five of us reformed and headed S.E. climbing. Red 2 and myself observed a lone 109 flying east at about 18,000 ft. We headed towards him and he went into a dive which steepened to the vertical. When near ground level, he attempted to level off. On pulling out, his aircraft disintegrated and fell in just N.E. of Cleve. I claim this for the squadron. 61

F/O W. H. Whittaker of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 6th October 1944:

When at approx 17,000 ft. a Me 109 passed above and in front of my No. 1 who turned towards the e/a while in a steep climbing turn. Red 1 however was not able to get a shot at the e/a which then passed directly in front of me turning and climbing steeply. I fired a two secs. burst from about 200 yds. at 40° - 50° angle off. The a/c seemed to shudder and stall and went down in an almost vertical spin. The e/a then disappeared under my nose as I climbed to regain Red 1.
     F/Lt. J.B. Lawrence however saw the action and saw the strikes near the cockpit. He saw the e/a go down in the spin and hit the ground 5 miles south of Nijmegen near a small wood. I claim this e/a destroyed. 62

F/L A. R. Speare of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 6th October, 1944:

I was flying as Yellow 1 when Kenway reported Huns at 25,000 ft. S.E. Nijmegen. Soon afterwards we sighted them at 12 o'clock above and we climbed into them. I picked out two that were diving away. I lost one of them but followed the other FW 190 from 20,000 ft. down to the deck. The Hun took evasive action by doing steep climbing turns to starboard and then diving down again. I kept on his tail and took one 1 sec. burst when he was in a turn but did not allow enough deflection. I finally got to within 100 yds. range line astern and as he was doing a climbing turn I gave him a 2 secs. burst. I saw strikes on the engine, cockpit and wing and black smoke began to come from the e/a. He half rolled to port and dove striaght into the ground where he exploded. I claim this e/a destroyed. 63

F/O Harry Walmsley of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 8 December, 1944:

On 8th December I was Yellow 3, and my squadron had been detailed on armed recce to cover Dulmen, Hamm, Munster. There were 9 aircraft airbourne at 1409 and W/Cdr. Keefer was leading. About 1505 we approached Burgstein. Red and Blue sections went to one side of the town and my section went to the other. We saw a locomotive with about ten trucks. We had made one attack on the loco. and two on the trucks and were preparing to make another when about a dozen aircraft appeared from the east and they dived straight past us as if they wre joining in the attack on the train. These aircraft had cigar-shaped drop tanks slung under the centre of the fuselage and I thought at first they were American aircraft. I then saw the crosses on the wings and I could see that they were Me 109's and FW 190's. A dog fight started with everyone milling round. After about five minutes I found myself alone. I saw another train pulled up in a station so I went down and had a squirt at it and saw strikes on the locomotive. When I pulled up I saw a Spitfire in trouble. It was smoking and the undercarriage partly down. I joined up with it to protect it. There were five Spitfires there. I do not know what happened to the damaged Spitfire for suddenly six e/a probably some of the ones I had first seen came diving down out of cloud. They had obviously climbed and reformed after the initial attack. This second attack made from 10/10th. cloud at 1,500 feet was obviously directed against the damaged Spitfire. Some of the others in the Squadron chased them off. I went for two which were making an attack. I made a quater attack on one of them, an Me 109, closing to 300 yards and giving a two second burst with all guns. I saw strikes behind the cockpit the e/a dived straight into the ground. I found I was being fired at by two e/a so I used full evasive tactics for about five minutes and finally got away into cloud. I landed at Heesh as I was short of petrol and made my claim to the Intelligence Officer there. I then returned to base. I claim this Me 109 destroyed.
     I am sure that on the sides of the fuselage there where white roundels. The e/a were very persistant, the leaders certainly were very well clued up, I have never seen Huns fight so well. Their tactics were good in that obviously after the first attack they climbed to cloud and reformed. They definately caught us by surprise. I think they had either been on patrol, or had been scrambled, and when they saw smoke from the train they knew where we were and attacked out of cloud. The Spitfire XIV is definitely better than the 109 as I could do a better climbing turn even with my tank on. With my tank on the e/a could almost follow me but could not get a deflection shot at me. The e/a were using tracer and self-destructing ammunition. The camouflage was earth green and brown and blended well with the cloudy weather. 64

F/Sgt. G. W. Hudson of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 8 December 1944:

On 9th December (actually the 8th) I took off with the squadron (nine aircraft) on G.C.17 (armed recce. to Dulmen, Munster and Hamm). I was yellow 2. Near Burgstein we found a train and my section which was led by F/L. Hume and which comprised F/L. Walmsley and myself went down to attack. I was last to attack and as I flew through the smoke my windscreen became badly covered. I flew around for awhile and then I saw some aircraft coming from the S.E. at about 500 feet and they were diving on the train. I could not see very well and at first I thought they were Mustangs. They looked as if they were camouflaged silver-gray. Someone then called up and said they were Huns. I looked round and found that one of them was on my tail firing at me. I did a steep climbing turn to the right and evaded them by getting into cloud. I flew above cloud for a minute or two and then came down again but could see nothing of the e/a. I then heard some one call again saying "There are Huns up here". I went up but saw nothing. By this time my windscreen had cleared so I came down again and then saw a dog fight going on about two miles away behind me on my port side. I saw two Me 109's going away on the deck. I could now see they were 109's. They had black spinners and there appeared to be a black ring behind the propeller. I went after them and I attacked what appeared to be the No. 1 of the section. I came in from the starboard side and fired from about 300 yds., but my first burst was behind. My angle of deflection had been about 35°. I pulled the stick back hard and my next burst of about 1 1/2 seconds from 200 to 250 yards. at an angle off of 25-30° hit him. I saw strikes all over the wings and the fuselage. The e/a broke left and the other broke right. The one I had attacked was wobbling very badly. I nearly overshot as he broke and I got above him. I could see the machine wobbling, the pilot had the hood open, there was smoke coming from the starboard side and I could see the holes in the wings where I had hit him. I broke away to the left as the No.2 was now attacking and I climbed away into cloud.
     I claim this Me 109 as probably destroyed, as when I last saw it it was wallowing around and appeared out of control at about 150 feet.
     I could not get rid of my drop tank at first, but I found that even with the tank on I could turn inside the e/a. 65

F/O K. M. Lowe (AUS) of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 8 December 1944:

On 8th December, 130 Squadron led by W/Cdr. Keefer were engaged on an Armed Recce coevering Dulmen, Hamm, and Munster (G.C.17). At 1505 when just N.E. of Burgstein yellow section was attacking a train. F/O Lowe says " I was Blue 1, and my section, with Red section, were patrolling at deck level as Yellow section attacked the train. Yellow section reported Huns, so I turned my section to starboard and flew towards the train. I saw five e/a. at 2,000 ft. in line astern turning to port and I climbed up and picked the last one and came in at a rate two turn. I opened fire with all armament from 250 yards, using 1½ rings deflection. I saw no result from my 3 secs. burst. I closed in to about 150 yards, the e/a. which was a 190 taking no evasive action. Allowing 10 - 15° deflection I again opened fire with all armament. I saw strikes on the engine and this caught fire. I pulled out to the side of the e/a. It hovered in the air and then dived straight into the ground. I saw what appeared to be the pilot get out, but no parachute opened. The e/a. was camouflaged dark green and appeared almost black. I claim this FW 190 destroyed. I lost sight of the other e/a. in cloud.
     W/Cdr. Keefer who was Red 1, substantiates this claim. He says:- "I saw the aircraft attacked by F/O. Lowe hit the ground. It did not catch fire". 66

P/O F. C. Riley (AUS) of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 8 December 1944:

I was Red 2 to W/Cdr. Keefer. I was with the squadron which was on an Armed Recce in the Dulmen, Hamm, Munster area. Between 1505 and 1510 we were near Burgstein when e/a appeared. I covered my No. 1's tail as he went up through cloud firing at one of the e/a. The cloud was thick so I came down below it again and while doing an orbit at about 1,000 ft. below cloud about six Me 109's came from the east in a gaggle. They obviously saw the Spitfires and they at once started to make for the cloud. I followed one 109 into cloud, got within about 300 yds climbing and in a slight turn to port. I fired with all guns at a slight angle and saw strikes on the cockpit. Smoke began to pour from the engine. The e/a dived very steeply through the cloud and I was unable to follow as I was occupied pulling out myself. I lost sight of the e/a. I do not think this e/a could have got home as he could not have pulled out of his dive. F/Lt. Walmsley confirms that he saw a 109 dive into the ground from cloud and crash south of Burgstein at approximately the time and place of my combat. I claim this 109 destroyed.

F/Lt. Walmsley says:- "I stayed to the south and south east of the railway lines and was no-where in the vicinity of F/O Lowe's combat. I saw a 109 dive straight into the ground and crash at approximately the time and place of P/O Riley's combat." 67

F/Lt D. Sherk of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 25th December 1944:

The Squadron was flying on a sweep at approx. 13,000 ft. S.E. Aachen. F/Lt. D. Sherk states: "I was Blue 4 flying number 2 to F/O Whittaker who was Blue 3. An e/a was sighted diving S.E. and Blue 3 and 4 broke off to follow. The e/a was chased down to 500 ft. where he started to level off and turn North. I closed to about 400 yards and gave a 1 to 2 second burst at an angle off of 30°. No results observed from this burst. I continued to chase the e/a throught a turn of 180° judging for deflection. While on a Southerly heading I gave another 1 to 2 second burst at an angle off of 15° and saw an explosion somewhere around the engine cowling. Parts of the e/a flew off and then I saw the e/a pilot jettison his coop top. At this instant I gave the e/a another short burst and saw the pilot bale out. The e/a crashed into a forest. I did not see the Pilot's parachute open. I claim 1 FW 190 Destroyed. Cine gun was used" 68

F/L F.A.O. Gaze of 610 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 1 January, 1945:

I had been split up from my section by intense accurate light friendly flak from just N.E. of Leige and was returning alone to base.
     When 1 mile east of base at 2,000 ft. I sighted 8 FW 190's heading N.E. on deck. I dived down behind them and dead astern. I closed in on the last one to 800 yards range before he saw me. He then opened up. I closed to 600 yards. Much light and accurate flak came up from the river and I fired a 2 second burst. This missed and only hit the ground. I fired again and missed and much white tracer came up. I fired a third burst as he climbed over a clump of trees. I saw strikes on fuselage and belly. His flaps came down and as I passed over him I saw him crash into a field at a speed of about 250 m.p.h. Because of the flak I banked sharply away and flew back to base being continually fired on by American flak. I claim this e/a destroyed. 69

F/Lt L. J. Packwood of 2 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 1 January, 1945:

I was flying as No.2 to F/Lt. YOUNG on a Tac/R of Amersfoort area. East of Amersfoort we sighted 2 Ju. 88's escorted by 30+ mixed Me. 109's and F.W. 190's flying west. We turned up sun of the formation and attacked the last section. I attacked a Me 109 from dead astern and above, the enemy a/c took no evasive action. I gave it a 5 sec. burst with cannon and machine guns, closing from 400 - 150 yds. I observed strikes on the cockpit and fuselage, the enemy a/c disintegrated, the starboard wing broke off and flicked over on its back and hit the ground in flames at E.3596. This was also observed by F/Lt. YOUNG. I pulled vertically upwards and broke off the engagement.

I claim 1 Me. 109 destroyed. 70

S/L D. I. Benham of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 23 January, 1945:

I was leading Red and Blue Sections when flying along railway to MUNSTER on an Armed Recce after shooting up locos and MET when 12 FW 190's carrying 2 x 250 lb Bombs appeared on the deck flying S.W. from Munster. The a/c made for DETTELN and WALDROP Ballons in a gentle curve to their right at 360 M.P.H. We followed and just overhauled them with 18 lbs boost having previously dropped tanks.
     I closed on a FW 190 to 200 yds on a slight turn to port and opened fire 200 yds, with a half ring deflection. The FW 190 struck some trees, crashed and blew up at A 9543. Seeing other of our a/c chasing an e/a I looked in my mirror and saw an e/e firing at me, causing one hit on my starboard wing. I pulled back and climbed vertically, turning to starboard. My No.2 (F/O Hegarty) saw the FW 190 try to follow my manoeuvre but it flicked over and after stalling on its back, during which time the pilot baled out, the FW 190 spun in from 500 ft at A 9038.
     I claim 2 FW 190's destroyed. 71

F/O Hegarty of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 23 January, 1945:

After witnessing the Squadron Commanders combats I was chased by a FW 190 and broke very sharply to port, so that I was able to see the 190 trying to follow my maneouvre which he failed to do and flicked out of his turn and went straight into the ground from 500 ft. I took Cine pictures of the wreckage. W/O P. H. Hale confirms the destruction of this e/a and saw it go up in flames at A 9130.
     I claim one FW 190 destroyed. 72

F/Lt J. R. MacElwain of 2 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 10 February 1945:

I was flying as No. 1 with F/O JEFFERIES on Tac/R in ARNHEM and had pulled up to 8,000-ft. when I saw 2 unidentified a/c at 200-ft. flying S.W. along the Canal towards LOCHEM.
      I went down followed by my No. 2 in order to identify the a/c and recognized them as ME.109Gs with L.R.T. They were camouflaged dark and light green with the dark crosses showing clearly.
      As I positioned for attack the section broke to port – one very sharply and the other more slowly, dropping their tanks. The latter was the one I attacked. As we did a series of turns I gave him several short bursts and he finally flew straight with full throttle, climbing slightly. I opened up and held him quite easily and from slightly on his starboard allowed ½ ring deflection, seeing strikes on his starboard wing; I closed to about 150 yards dead astern and saw further strikes on tail and fuselage. The E/A pulled up to 400-feet., jettisoned his hood and baled out. The a/c went straight in and was seen blazing on the ground by No. 2. The pilot’s chute failed to open.
      I claim 1 ME.109G destroyed. 73

F/Sgt Moyle of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 14 February, 1945:

I was flying Yellow 4 on an armed recce to Lingen area, when just south east of Rheine, "Music" a/c reported Me.109's above, in Rheine area. Yellow 1 immediately made for the area & a gaggle of a/c was sighted at approx. 6000 ft, own height was 4000 ft., east of Rheine. Yellow 3 and myself pulled up and climbed in a port orbit, into the a/c. The E/A continued to orbit port and climbed above us. We overtook on the climb & came on the same level as E/A at approx. 15,000 ft. Four short nosed Fw.190's slightly above to my port turned in towards me & I broke left. The fourth E/A was lagging slightly & I got on to 30° & opened fire at 450 yds., saw no strikes, increased deflection to 1 1/3 rings, still at 30°, I saw strikes on wing root, continuing firing with more strikes, still at wing root & E/A burst into flame, with black smoke issuing from under fuselage. E/A flicked over on back and dived earthwards in spiral, with black smoke issuing from under fuselage. E/A continued to spiral down to low scattered cloud, went through quite a large hole & a couple of seconds later I saw large explosions on ground, almost immediately below point of combat. The other three Fw.190's dived away north as I broke to port. Being alone I asked for homing, but battery was flat & I could not receive, so headed west on safety course 260°, crossed Mass & sighted Y.32 & landed at Y.29.
     I claim one Fw.190 destroyed. 74

W/O I. T. Stevenson of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 14 February, 1945:

While on armed recce we met 486 Squadron who were orbitting under 12 or 16 E/A. They asked us to climb up & chase these down. Yellow 4 & I climbed up & engaged about 12/16 E/A who were now at 18,000. Just before we got up to the E/A they came down to bounce us, we kept on turning & I got a shot at one FW.190 & observed many strikes on the cowling & wings. The E/A sent out black oil smoke & flicked. I last saw him going down pouring smoke. I could not watch this a/c as there were about another 5 or 6 e/a around us. I engaged another a/c & observed strikes but had to break off as there were two more Fw.190's on my tail. I shook them off & was able to get a short burst in on another e/c, before my ammunition gave out. Just as I finished my ammunition the e/a cleared off & I returned to base.
     I claim one FW.190 probably destroyed & One FW.190 damaged. 75

F/Lt J. Lavigne of 350 (Belgian) Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 21 February, 1945:

I was Red 1 and I was leading nine aircraft of 350 Squadron on an armed recce. We had chased several Me 262's which were all heading N/E towards the aerodromes at Rheine and Hopsten, so I decided to re-form the squadron and orbit these aerodromes. I re-formed the squadron at 8,500 feet and at 1730 hours we had reached Hopsten. I saw two Me 262's going in to land E/W. I was preparing to attack them when I saw three aircraft below me at between nought and 500 feet. I went down and had picked out No. 2 in the gaggle. The pilot of the e/a saw me and broke left. I followed him in his turn and allowing about one and a half rings deflection I opened fire with all armament from 200 yards closing to 100 yards, finishing up dead astern of the e/a. I saw a big explosion in the right wing root and the e/a which was then at 500 feet flicked over on its back and slowed up. It was smoking badly and dived in in the circuit south of the aerodrome. I claim this aircraft as destroyed. During the dogfight I saw about 20 e/a. 76

F/O A. Van Wersch of 350 (Belgian) Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 21 February, 1945:

I was Blue 1 and I was flying with eight other aircraft of the Squadron on an armed recce to the Rheine area. With others of the Squadron I had chased several ME 262's but with no luck. They were all heading N/E and the squadron reformed to recce the aerodromes at Rheine and Hopsten. Just south of Rheine I saw two Me 109's right on the deck and as I pulled up one passed underneath me going in the same direction as myself. I dived on to him from behind and opened fire at 400 yards allowing slight deflection. Closing to 250 I fired with all armament and saw many strikes on the left main plane. The e/a climbed to cloud which was at 5,000 feet and I followed. The e/a came down again pouring black smoke. I followed and opened fire again from 400 yards astern. I gave him a long burst and the e/a turned over and went right into the ground south of the town of Rheine, between Rheine and the aerodrome. I claim this e/a as destroyed. The e/a was camouflaged light blue grey. 77

P/O Louis Lambrechts of 350 (Belgian) Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 21 February, 1945:

I was flying as Red 3 with eight other aircraft of the Squadron on an Armed Recce to the RHEINE area. The Squadron had reformed above cloud after several of the pilot's had chased ME 262's without result. At about 1730 we were near to the RHEINE Aerodrome when I saw an ME 109 at 600 to 700 ft. There was a dog fight going on and as I went after the e/a the pilot pulled up and went above cloud which was between seven and eight tenths at 5,000 ft, with clear patches. I went after him and at about eight or nine thousand feet attacked. I came up behind him and I had closed to between 75 and 100 yards. I was dead astern and opened fire with all my guns. There were strikes all over the cockpit and engine. The aircraft went on its back and dived vertically down out of control smoking badly.
     Soon afterwards I saw 2 more ME 109's at 3,000 ft and one of them was chasing F/Sgt Brahy. I got behind this e/a and opened fire at about 500 yds from dead astern, closing until the e/a broke away from F/Sgt Brahy. I saw strikes on the left wing. I had no more ammunition left and as another e/a was then attacking me I pulled up and left the one I had been attacking. I claim the first 109 destroyed and the second damaged. 78

F/Lt. D. J. Reid of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 25th February 1945:

I was leading Blue Section of 4 a/c on a sweep to the Rheine - Dummer area. In the region of Gronau a large formation of aircraft, believed to be hostile, was sighted above, and flying in the direction of Wesel. When the e/a saw us they scattered and dived away to the east. We gave chase to beyond Munster but were unable to overtake them, eventually losing sight of the e/a in the ground mist and poor light. I then reformed my section and returned to Rheine, where my No.2 P/O Fleming, reported an aircraft flying below us. I identified this as a FW.190 (long nosed) amd attacked from the port quarter. I fired a short burst with machine guns (.5) and cannon with no result, the e/a taking evasive action by diving to the deck with turns from side to side. I closed to approx. 100 yds and fired another burst of about one second from dead astern. There was a violent explosion in the centre of the fuselage and the tail came off. The e/a crashed benath me and was completely destroyed by explosion and fire.
     I claim One FW.190 destroyed. 79

W/Cdr. George Keefer flying with 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 2 March, 1945:

I was flying with 130 Squadron and was leading them and 350 Squadron on a fighter sweep to Rheine, there being fourteen aircraft altogother. As we neared Enchede at 0755 Control warned us of enemy aircraft at Rheine. We turned towards Rheine immediately and when just north east of Rheine I saw a glint below me. At first I could not see wheter there were e/a there so I left 350 on top and led 130 down. As we went down I saw about 15 109's flying s/w.
     I picked one out and the e/a dived away. I closed and got in behind him and gave him a burst with all my guns and I saw strikes on his hood. The e/a flicked over on his back, went down through the cloud and I saw a parachute come out.
     I fired at the e/a from dead astern and I gave him a fairly long burst. I claim this 109 destroyed. 80

F/Sgt Clay of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 2 March, 1945:

I was flying Red 4 with 130 Squadron, which was engaged on a fighter sweep with 350 Squadron to Enchede, Rheine and Munster. W/Cdr Keefer, who was leading the formation went down on enemy aircraft which had been reported and which were sighted just north-east of Rheine. I spotted one 190 and came up on him from a long way off. The Hun pilot must have spotted me because he immediately dived away after rolling on his back. I was able to go down inside him and when I caught him up the Hun did a spiral turn. I came in line astern and from 300 yards opened fire with all guns. I saw strikes and either the cowling or the coup top came off. The e/a started to spin. I followed the e/a down and he continued to spin out of control. I followed to 5,000 feet and the e/a continued to spin down until I saw it hit the ground and blow up. I claim this FW 190 destroyed. 81

P/O Louis Lambrechts of 350 (Belgian) Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 2 March, 1945:

I was Blue 3 of 350 Squadron and we were being led by W/Cdr Keefer on a fighter sweep to Rheine. Huns were reported by control when we were near Enschede, and the Wing turned towards Rheine. The W/Cdr who was with 130 Squadron led 130 down and 350 were told to stay above. As 130 went down a dog fight started below at about 12,000 feet so I went down with F/Sgt Pauwels who was Blue 4. I picked out a Me 109 which was turning very steeply. After about two or three turns I got in behind the e/a and the e/a then dived to the deck. I followed and the e/a then pulled up again in a steep turning climb. I followed him and when at about 2,000 feet I managed to get in to about 150 yards behind the e/a. I opened fire with all guns at a 10 degree angle off. I saw strikes all over the engine and the cockpit and the e/a immediately dived away out of control. I followed and the e/a crashed to the ground.
     I claim the Me 109 destroyed. 82

F/Lt Hoornaert of 350 (Belgian) Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 2 March, 1945:

My Squadron was operating with 130 Squadron on a fighter sweep to the Enschede-Rheine area, and the W/Cdr was flying with 130 Squadron. 350 had seven aircraft airbourne and I was Blue 1. Just N/E of Rheine 130 went down on about fifteen e/a which were flying at about 11,000 to 12,000 feet and these Huns were flying S/W. I joined in the dogfight and there were aircraft turning everywhere. I started to turn in the middle of them. I found that there was a Me 109 trying to get on my tail and there began a game of hide and seek in and out of the clouds. Finally I stayed underneath the clouds and I saw the e/a quite a long way away so I opened up to full throttle and went after him. I caught him up and closed in behind to between 50 and 100 yards and I gave him everything I had. There was a big explosion and my wind screen became covered with oil and muck from the explosion. The e/a pulled up and I went underneath him. The e/a after pulling up dived down out of control and I saw it crash into a wood.
     I claim this enemy aircraft destroyed. 83

F/Sgt Jacques Groensteen of 350 (Belgian) Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 2 March, 1945:

I was flying Blue 2 to F.Lt Hoornhaert, and the squadron was operating with 130 Squadron led by W/Cdr Keefer on a fighter sweep. We were N/E of Rheine and we were giving cover to 130 who had gone down to attack. When at about 10,000 feet I saw a gaggle of e/a at about seven or eight thousand feet. I followed my No. 1 down and I picked out a Me 109 which was flying at an angle of about 90 degrees to me. I turned and got on to his tail and the e/a began to turn. I kept on to his tail and I opened fire from 400 yards closing to about 100 yards. I was dead astern and I fired with cannon and machine guns. I had closed to what I estimate about 50 yards when the pilot of the e/a jettisoned his hood, turned the aircraft on its back and baled out.
     I claim the Me 109 destroyed. 84

F/Lt. H. Walmsley of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 13 March, 1945:

I was flying as Spinner Blue 1. We had passed South of Munster heading east at 11,000 feet when I saw 8 plus aircraft flying South at 2,500 feet. I called up and went down after them, intercepting over Hamm, and, finding that they were long nosed FW 190's, engaged the one on the extreme left. He broke down and proceeded due East at zero feet. After chasing him for 10 miles, firing occasional short bursts, I hit him around the cockpit with several cannon shells and quite a bit of debris came away. The range was 200-250 yards; angle off 5°. He pulled up steeply to port and the pilot baled out at 1,500 feet, the aircraft crashing close to where the pilot landed and lay on the ground without releasing his parachute. Both the e/a and I had long range tanks, neither of which were dropped, and at no time did I have to go "through the gate" in order to stay on his tail. 85

F/Sgt Clay of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 13 March, 1945:

I was flying as Spinner Blue 3 at 11,000 feet South of Munster, heading East, when F/Lt Walmsley led us down on 8 long-nosed FW 190's which were flying South at 2,500 feet. I had no time to jettison my tank, but the Hun I attacked dropped his as I was closing in from behind and slightly below. He started to weave gently when I was about 500 yards behind. I opened fire at 400 yards closing right in; he turned sharply to port and I followed, still firing. Then I had to slide over to port to avoid hitting him as he slowed up very suddenly. His hood flew off and his aircraft was wallowing badly, out of control. We were now down to 700 feet and suddenly he nosed straight in and blew up in a railway siding in or very near HAMM. I could not see my strikes owing to a sheet of oil which covered my windscreen as soon as I went through the gate. My ringsight was almost obscured and sighting was difficult.
     Immediately after the E/A crashed, I was hit in the port wing by a cannon shell from a 190 which appeared on my tail with his No.2. I broke hard to port and they did not press home their attack, so I returned to base. I claim one e/a destroyed. 86

F/Lt I. R. Ponsford of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 13 March, 1945:

I was flying as Spinner Blue 4, and when approximately 10 miles East of Hamm, Blue leader called that he was going down. I followed and saw 4 e/a in line abreast at 2,500 feet. The whole section chased the e/a for about 3 minutes. I selected one and when at 400 yards dead astern I opened fire but saw no strikes. The e/a commenced to weave and I closed to 250 yards firing another 2 - 3 second burst at about 10° deflection at which the e/a started to smoke. I noticed tracer passing over my port wing so I broke and, as I did so, the e/a started to burn. Almost immediately afterwards I saw a large explosion and fire on the ground. Whilst doing tight turns following this combat at 2,500 feet I saw 4 e/a orbiting at 1,000 feet. I selected one and dived. The e/a saw me and tightened his turn but I got in one burst at 80 yards with full deflection and saw a cannon strike on the left wing. I had no more ammunition and broke away. I claim one FW 190 destroyed and one FW 190 damaged. 87

S/Ldr F. Woolley of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 13 March, 1945:

I was leading Black Section of 4 aircraft on a bomber escort. The Wing was flying as four independant sections of four aircraft. The bombers were flying over 8/10 ths cloud at about 16,000 ft when I saw a gaggle of a/c through a gap at 6 o'clock travelling in the opposite direction, in the HAMM area. I rolled over and dived after them. On breaking through the cloud I saw a gaggle of about 20 a/c 1 mile ahead. They were travelling very fast and it took me about two minutes at full throttle to catch them up. I was not certain of their identity, so I attempted to pull up alongside the outside aircraft on the starboard side. The a/c turned into me and I recognised it as a FW 190. I got on to its tail and the e/a climbed up into a layer of wispy cloud. I opened fire from dead astern at 100 yds. I saw many strikes on the wing roots and fuselage. The aircraft then burst into flames from the port wing root and base of cockpit. I had to break sharply away to avoid flying through the debris.
     I claim this FW 190 Destroyed. 88

F/O G. Lord of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 19 March 1945:

I was Blue 1 and was with the Squadron on a sweep to the Rheine-Osnabruck area. When Huns were reported at about 0930 I dropped my tank and went down and saw a number of e/a circling the aerdrome at Rheine at about 1,000 ft. I went in behind one ME 109 and closed very fast. The e/a took no evasive action and I opened fire with all guns from dead astern from about 200 yards closing to 50 yards. I saw strikes behind the cockpit. I overshot this e/a and I saw him crash land on the aerodrome. I claim this e/a damaged.
     After this I pulled round and saw another 109 but as I closed in I overshot him. The e/a was trying to turn so I pulled round on to him a second time and got behind him. The e/a was trying to do a tight turn. I turned inside him and fired from 200 yards. I saw strikes behind the cockpit and the machine blew up in the air. The pilot was able to bale out and I saw the parachute go down and finish up in a tree about a quarter mile to the east of the aerodrome.
     I claim this E/A destroyed.
     W/Cdr Keefer reports that after his combat he saw a parachute going down over the east end of the aerodrome. 89

F/Sgt G. Hudson of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 19 March, 1945:

I was flying Red 3 with my Squadron sweeping to Rheine-Osnabruck-Munster. We were at 12,000 ft when Red 2 (W/O Edwards) reported e/a orbitting the aerodrome at Rheine. I saw the e/a about 10,000 ft below and went down with my No 2 (W/O Miller.) We were the first in and we went for six 109's which were orbitting the aerodrome. I picked out one e/a and attacked from almost dead astern; opening fire from about 200 yards. I saw strikes on the jet tank and on the underside of the fuselage. There was a terrific burst of flame and the e/a went straight into the aerodrome and crashed. I claim this e/a destroyed.
     A general melee ensued and I fired at several more e/a as they came into my sights but I did not hit them. Eventually I got on to one and I fired at him from about 30 degrees off decreasing to 15 degrees at a range of 300 yards. I saw strikes on the fuselage. Almost immediately I was hit by flak which had been intense and I had to break away. I saw no more of the second e/a which I claim as damaged.
     F/Sgt Hudson adds that during the combat he had time to see an enemy aircraft land wheels down on Rheine, but as it landed it pulled up over three others which were parked on the 'drome and it hit two of them as it passed over. 90

W/Cdr George Keefer of 125 Wing and leading 130 Squadron this day recorded in his Combat Report for 19 March, 1945:

I was leading 130 (Punjab) Squadron on a sweep in the Rheine-Osnabruck area and at about 0930 when we were at 12,000 ft between the aerodromes at Rheine and Hopsten e/a were reported below. I led the Squadron down and a dog fight began at deck level near Rheine aerodrome from which there was intense light flak. I found two ME 109's going round in a turn. Eventually one straightened out and flew due east. I gave him a quick squirt from dead astern and saw strikes on the starboard wing. Closing in further I fired again and this time there were strikes on the top of the cockpit and I saw that the hood was dragging. The e/a slowed, pulled up and he stalled in from about 20 feet. I saw the e/a crash into a field. I claim this enemy aircraft destroyed.
     W/O Miller who was Red 4 adds that he saw the W/Cdr attacking this machine and that as he passed over it he saw the tail assembly was badly damaged. Glycol was also pouring from the e/a. 91

Lt. Helmut Beckmann of 3./JG 27 described the combat with 130 Squadron on 19 March 1945:

In den letzten Tagen war es schon sehr schwer, überhaupt dem Platz herauszukommen, da der Tommy vom frühen Morgen bis zum Abend fast ununterbrochen unsere Plätze ausserhalb der Flakzone umflog, um uns möglichst gleich nach dem Start zu erwischen. Um diesem Übel abzuhelfen, sollten wir auf einen Platz bei Lippstadt verlegen. Heute war es nun ruhig geblieben, da angeblich auf den Feindflugplätzen qbi wegen nebels herrschte. So rollte ich mit meiner 3 Staffel zur befohlenen Zeit, etwa gegen 10.00 Uhr, an den Start, nachdem mir vom Gefechtsstand versichert wurde, dass unser Gebiet feindfrei sei. Nun weiss ich nur noch, dass ich Gas gegeben habe, einmal nach rechts rausschaute um festzustellen, ob alle acht Maschinen mitkamen, und dann riss der Film.

Als ich nach 36 Stunden im nahen Krankenhaus Neuenkirchen aufwachte, glaubte ich zunächst, ich sei in einen der frisch zugeschütteten Bombentrichter geraten und hätte mich überschlagen. Wie erstaunt aber war ich, als ich mir am nächsten Tage von meinem mich besuchenden Staffeloffizier z.b.V. erzählen lassen musste, was alles passiert war:

Wir waren also mitten im Start, als ganz unangemeldet eine Staffel Spitfires über den Platz raste und genau hinter uns sass. Bis auf die letzte Maschine, Uff Horst, der noch beim Rollen war und in Tiefstflug entkommen konnte, sind wir alle in kurzer Zeit abgeschossen worden, da wir ja wegen zu geringer Fahrt noch gar nicht handlungsfähig waren. Mein Katschmarek Oblt. Roth ist brennend abgestürzt und war sofort tot. Alle übrigen sind mit Knochenbrüchen und Verstauchungen, teilweise nach Fallschirmabsprüngen, noch glimpflich davongekommen. Mich hat man im flachen Winkel in einen gegenüber dem Platz liegenden Wald fallen sehen, wobei es so krachte, dass man annahm, es sei "kein Auge trocken geblieben". In der Nähe meiner Absturzstelle arbeitende Häftlinge haben mich dann zuerst gefunden und, bevor die Wachmannschaften heranwaren, gründlich gefilzt. Von einem, der die Absturzstelle später gesehen hat, erfuhr ich, dass meine Machine zwischen zwei Bäumen hindurch raste, an denen die Flächen hängen blieben, dann mit dem Motor durch den Stamm eines mittleren Baumes schlug, wobei er ausgerissen wurde, und mit dem Schwanzende des verbleibenden Rumpfes so auf den Boden aufprallte, dass dieser hinter dem Tank noch einmal durchbrach. An dem Mittelstück mit dem Tank hing ich dann, zum Glück fest angeschnallt, mit dem Kopf nach unten im weichen Moss, während mir dass Benzin des geplatzten Tanks den Rücken herunterlief, was durch das Ätzen Verbrennungen 2 Grades auf dem ganzen Rücken zur Folge hatte. Ausserdem hatte ich eine starke Prellung an der Innenseite des rechten Unterschenkels, wahrscheinlich durch das Herausbrechen der zwischen den Beinen liegenden Kanone hervorgerufen. Der Arzt, der mich untersuchte – ich soll mich dabei so gewehrt haben, daß mich vier Mann halten mußten, - sagte mir, dass aus meinem linken Auge einem stecknadelkopfgrossen Splitter enfernt habe. Ob das die Ursache meiner Bewusstlosigkeit war, ist mir allerdings nicht klar geworden. Als wir am folgenden Tage wegen Fliegeralarm in den Keller mussten, hörte ich, wie hinter mir jemand, auf mich deutend, zu seinem Nachbarn sagte: "Das ist der, der immer geschrien hat: Lasst mich doch los, ich bin ja längst tot." 92

F/Lt H. Walmsley D.F.C. of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 28 March, 1945:

I was Red 1 and was leading eight aircraft of the Squadron on an armed recce to the DUMMER LAKE - GUTERSLOH area. At approximately 16.45 we were at 3,000 ft and were flying north when I spotted about 12 aircraft approaching head on. They flew through Yellow Section so I called up and asked the Section what they were. The reply came "Huns". We broke into them and I could see that they were FW 190's of the long nosed variety. The Huns climbed into cloud, the base of which was about 4,000 ft. We went after them and a dog fight followed with us chasing the Huns in and out of the cloud. Finally I got on the tail of one and from line astern opened fire. I saw strikes all round the cockpit and the engine and the e/a went over on its starboard wing and down to the ground. I saw it crash in a field just East of a little village and it caught fire.
     I claim this e/a destroyed. 93

F/Lt P. E. Sibeth of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 28 March, 1945:

I was flying Red 2 on an armed recce with the Squadron to the DUMMER LAKE - GUTERLOH area when at 3,000 ft we saw enemy aircraft approaching from the north at the same height a ourselves. We broke into the aircraft which were FW 190's. I fired at three of them but saw no strikes. I was coming down when I saw another one and this one was trying to get a beam shot at me. I turned and got on his tail and he went up through cloud. He came down again and was just to the port of me. I slipped in behind him and from almost dead astern opened fire from about 250 yds. We were then at about 900 ft. I gave him a long burst and saw strikes where the port wing joins the fuselage. The e/a immediately flicked over on his back and crashed straight into a small wood where it caught fire. I saw the aircraft burning in the wood. I claim this enemy aircraft destroyed. 94

F/Sgt P. H. T. Clay of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 28 March, 1945:

I was Red 3 and the Squadron was doing an armed recce in the DUMMER LAKE - GUTERSLOH area. Yellow 1 and 2 had left the formation leaving six of our aircraft. At about 1645 I saw aircraft approaching us as we were flying north. They were about 3,000 ft and they approached us to port. Red 1 called up and said "Watch these" and we broke round after the aircraft which were FW 190's of the long nosed variety. I chose one and he started to turn going down and I went through cloud after him right down to about 200 feet. I got in behind him and opened fire and I saw strikes to the engine. I closed right into him firing all the time. I broke away to one side and then I saw the pilot jettison his hood. He climbed to 500 ft and then he rolled over on his back and he baled out, but the parachute did not open. The A/C went straight into the ground and I took a photograph of it was it was burning.
I claim this aircraft destroyed.
After this I climbed above cloud and found a number of Spitfires circling there. I saw one FW 190 on his own so I chased after him and caught him easily. I opened fire from dead astern at 300 yards and I saw strikes on the port side of the fuselage and engine. The aircraft flicked over and went down through cloud. I tried to catch him but lost him in cloud.
I claim this aircraft as damaged. 95

Sgt G. D. Warren of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 28 March, 1945:

The Squadron of eight aircraft was on an armed recce to the DUMMER LAKE - GUTERSLOH area and I was flying Red 4. We were near WARENDORF flying north at 3,000 ft when the Huns appeared coming from the opposite direction at the same level. We turned into them and we all picked one for each. My Hun climbed at first and then did a half turn down. I went after him and opened fire from line astern at 800 yds closing to 200 yds. I saw strikes round the fuselage and on the wings and smoke began to come out. Down he went and I followed him. When near the ground the port wing of the e/a hit the ground and the aircraft turned over and crashed and blew up.
     I claim this aircraft destroyed. 96

W/O J. A. Boulton of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 28 March, 1945:

I was flying Yellow 3 with F/Sgt Woodman as Yellow 4, and the formation of eight aircraft was on an armed recce to the DUMMER LAKE - GUTERSLOH area. We were at 3,000 ft flying North when I saw about 15 aircraft at the same height coming towards us. I do not think they saw us and they passed us on our port side about 1,000 yards away. I identified them as FW 190's and my No 2 (F/Sgt Woodman) and I turned into them. We were then the first to attack. The Huns climbed for cloud, we climbed and passed through the Huns and they then came round back into us. I completed the circle and got on to one. I opened fire from about 300 yards at a angle off 30° and following strikes parts of the aircraft began to fall off. Then it caught fire and it went down vertically out of control with black smoke pouring from it. I last saw it at 1,000 ft going down vertically with flames and smoke coming from it and it would have been impossible for the pilot to have pulled out, that is if the pilot was still alive. I claim this e/a destroyed.
     Just as I broke away from this combat my guns stopped with the exception of one. I therefore climbed to 5,000 ft and I hung about up there. FW 190's kept popping up out of the cloud and I kept jumping on to them trying to get really on to one. Eventually one came along and from 20° angle off I fired from 250 yards. One cannon only was firing and as a result of my two second bursts I saw between 15 and 20 strikes all over the engine. Flame came from the engine and the Hun immediately went down into cloud and I lost him. I claim this second aircraft as probably destroyed. 97

F/Sgt B. W. Woodman of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 28 March, 1945:

I was Yellow 4 and we took off at 1547 with eight aircraft for an armed recce in the Dummer Lake - Gutersloh areas. Yellow 1 and 2 had left us as Yellow 1's engine was giving trouble so W/O Boulton and myself comprised Yellow Section. Just after 1645 we were flying North when aircraft, which I identified as long nosed 190's passed us on the port side travelling in the opposite direction. We broke round into them and I found there were three of them in front of me. I picked on the last one of the three and climbed after him. I opened fire from about 800 yds and I saw strikes on the wing. The e/a rolled away. I claim this e/a damaged.
     I then got on to the second one and from 30° angle off opened fire again from about 800 yds. I closed in to about 400 yds and fired again from dead astern whilst climbing. I saw strikes on the wing roots on the port side. There was a burst of yellow flame from where I had seen the strikes. The aircraft went over on its back and it went down out of control and I saw a trail of smoke right down until the aircraft hit the ground. It finished up in a field where it continued to burn and there was just a mass of red embers. I claim this enemy aircraft destroyed.
W/O Boulton states:- I saw this combat and after F/Sgt Woodman's attack the e/a came down falling to pieces and burning furiously. As it went down to the ground it passed within 50 yds of me and the whole thing was on fire. 98

F/L H. Cowan of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 30 March, 1945:

I was flying Red 3 in 402 Squadron on Sweep/Armed Recce when I saw a single aircraft passing under our formation and going N.E. at 6 o'clock. I called Red 1 and we both gave chase to investigate. I recognized the a/c as a FW 190. Red 1 fired without results and then the e/a broke port. I turned after it, closing to 50 yards when I opened fire in my turn from line astern for a half-second. The e/a suddenly blew up into flames around the cockpit. I gave another burst, still from 50 yards, line astern, for one second without seeing further strikes. The e/a rolled over on his back and went straight into the deck. The pilot did not get out.
     I claim one FW 190 destroyed. 99

F/O R. W. Lawson of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 31 March, 1945:

I was flying Yellow 3 in 402 Squadron on Sweep/Armed Recce when I saw two aircraft passing under our section. Heading S.W. I called Red 1 and half-rolled down after the aircraft. I recognized them to be F.W. 190's. I picked out No.2 and fired from 150 yds. a second and half burst from approximately 10° port and slightly above. I saw strikes and a burst of flame from near the cockpit. He then half-rolled into a woods and exploded.
     I closed to 200 yds. on the leading enemy a/c and gave ½ second burst, saw no results. Then moved to 100/150 yds. dead line astern and fired 1½ second burst, saw strikes and the jet tank & coop-top fly off, a burst of flame, the enemy a/c then did a slight wing over and exploded in a field.
     Fixed gun-sight and Cine camera used. I claim two F.W. 190's Destroyed. 100

F/L B. E. Innes of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 31 March, 1945:

I was flying Red 3 in 402 Squadron on a Sweep Armed Recce. I heard Yellow 3 call up that he was going down at 3 o'clock. I watched his line of attack and saw him after 2 FW 190's. I saw him shoot down one of the aircraft and was at 3000 ft when I saw a FW 190 about 500 ft making for low cloud turning SOUTH. I immediately dived from above at 800 yds 45°, fired a short burst into the enemy A/C which had just reached the low cloud. It burst into flames so I broke off my attack. The aircraft was seen burning on the ground by F/L Burrows and F/L Drummond. Fixed guns sight and cine camera used.
     I claim one FW 190 DESTROYED. 101

F/O A. G. Ratcliffe of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 5 April, 1945:

I was flying Red 6 on patrol over LINGEN/RHEINE area when twelve plus E/A ME 109's and FW 190's were sighted flying westerly course at about 2,000 ft. We broke starboard into them. Red 5 went for the last one in a section of three and I closed in on the leader as they circled anti clock wise. I opened fire at about 400 yds about 20° starboard and held fire until 50 yds. I saw tracers going into cockpit and watched him go down. The plane on hitting the deck burst into flames. It was a Me 109, did not see the pilot get out. Fixed sight, C G G used. I claim one ME 109 DESTROYED. 102

F/L W. F. Peck of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 5 April, 1945:

I was flying Red 5 on a parol of the Lingen area when I sighted and reported 12 plus e/a flying towards us on a westerly course. We broke into them and I attacked a ME 109 giving him a 3 second burest from 4/500 yards, 20° port deflection. I saw strikes on the fuselage, the e/a them pulled up into cloud and disappeared.
     I attacked the second 109 giving a 1 to 2 second burst from 300 yards, 30° port, seeing strikes on port wingroots. He started down in a gentle spiral trailing black smoke. At this time I had to break sharply to avaoid a long-nosed 190 who attacked from above.
     I engaged a F.W. 190 firing a 3/4 second burst from 150/200 yards 10/15° deflection port. Bits of his starboard wing flew off, he flicked and went straight down. The e/a was at 1500 feet when the flick occured. I then noticed 3 more 190s to port and turned into them, selecting the No. 3 to attack. We half rolled right down to the deck and I caught up to him on the deck after covering about 5 miles. I closed in to 100 yards but had no ammo left. I broke off and rejoined to formation. Fixed sight and C.G.G. used.
     I claim 2 ME 109s damaged and the F.W. 190 dest. as a result of further intelligence information. 103

F/L H. Cowan of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 5 April, 1945:

When on patrol over LINGEN on course 350° we sighted about 20 F.W. 190 and 109 e/a. We broke into them to starboard, they broke and we followed. I chased one F.W. 190 into cloud and subsequently lost him. I and my No. 2 came below cloud and circled. A F.W. 190 broke cloud behind us during our second turn and I pulled up after him decreasing our range until the e/a fitted well into my Gyro Sight. On opening fire from line astern and long range (about 700 yards) I got in a 2 to 4 second burst seeing strikes all over the cockpit and wingroot, whereupon he started pouring thick black smoke and flicked to starboard and vanished into a cumulus cloud in a downward turn.
     I looked around to see if all was clear to follow him when I sighted a second 190 sitting right over the top of my a/c. I pulled up steeply and was closing too fast and steeply to use Gyro Sight. I just lined e/a up in the glass of the sight and fired from about line astern and 50 yards, observing strikes on both wings. E/A spun to starboard and I pulled my a/c to port to avoid him as my speed had dropped to less than 100 m.p.h. I claim 1 F.W. 190 damaged. No more e/a were seen and we proceeded to base. I claim 1 F.W. 190 probably destroyed and 1 F.W. 190 damaged. 104

F/O Robert Muls of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 5 April, 1945:

On April the 5th I was leading Yellow Section of 350 Squadron which was on an armed recce in the QUAKENBRUCK area. At 10.55 hrs whilst Yellow 3 & 4 had detached themselves to strafe ground targets I went down at V.8885 followed by Yellow 2 F/Sgt. NEULINGER, from 3000' to attack a vehicle. After hitting it I climbed and levelled out at 1000' on a Westerly course. At that moment I saw a F/W.190(long nose) coming towards me at my port side. I called No.2 and turned port towards the E/A; he turned also port but after 180°, I had him in my sights and opened fire at 200 Yds. I observed strikes on fuselage. The E/A rolled on its back and I closed to 50 Yds astern firing all the time. To avoid collision I broke away and climbed. Then No.2 came in and fired; at this moment the enemy pilot bailed out.
     No.2 and myself saw the parachute open and very near the ground.
     I clain the E/A destroyed, shared with F/Sgt. NEULINGER. 105

F/Sgt Neulinger of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 5 April, 1945:

On April 5th I was No. 2 to Yellow section of 350 Squadron engaged on an Armed Recce in the Aschendorf-Quakenbruck area. At approximately 1055 hours, the section split into two and I went down with my No. 1 to strafe a car on the Boerger-esterwegen road. After the attack on the car, my No. 1, F/O Muls, climbed and levelled off at 1,000 feet and I followed him. Soon afterwards I saw the enemy aircraft and then my No 1 called up on the R/T saying that a bandit was coming in towards us on the port side. We then went in to attack and I broke to port and climbed up to 2,000 feet. Meanwhile, No. 1 was attacking the e/a. I saw him close in, give a few bursts, and then break away to avoid a collision. No. 1 then climbed up. The e/a then turned slightly to starboard and I dived down on him, opening fire at 250 yards closing to 100 yards firing all the time. The e/a turned on its back and as I kept on firing I observed shell bursts in its belly. I then saw the pilot bale out. I climbed to follow No. 1 and I saw the parachute going down. I claim this e/a destroyed, shared with F/O Muls. 106

F/L Warren M. Middleton of 430 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 15 April, 1945:

While on a Tac/R Mission flying South at 4500 feet on April 15, 1945, at 0930 hours, I sighted a F/W.190 flying North at 5000 feet. I broke port and closed on his tail. I opened fire at an opening range of 450 yds. dead astern and closed to 250 yards. I saw strikes on the fuselage, the coup top flew off, the aircraft trailed black smoke and then burst into flame and I saw it crash and blow up on the ground. The pilot was seen to bail out and his parachute open. F/O Anderson, the No. 1 of the Section, saw the enemy's parachute open. No. 1, F/O Anderson, fired at enemy aircraft from 450 yard range with cine gun exposed but makes no claim. The attack took place near Uelzen.
     Camouflage - Very dark colour with enemy crosses.
     Cine gun used and exposed.
     I claim one (1) F/W 190 Destroyed. 107

S/Ldr J. B. Sheperd of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 16 April, 1945:

When flying Kudos Black 3 Fighter Sweep PARCHIM - SCHWERM area section was flying S.W. towards HAGENOW when I sighted 3 F.W.190s flying a parallel course about 3000' below at 3 o'clock. Informing section leader, I dived on the e/a. They saw me coming and two broke Port, the third dived for the deck. I followed this one and got strikes on his engine, which immediately started pouring smoke and appeared to stop as I had to break away to avoid him. The Pilot baled out about 500' and the aircraft hit the deck and exploded. The pilot's chute did not open.

I claim 1 F.W. 190 destroyed. 108

F/Lt. Wilkinson of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 16 April, 1945:

I was flying as Black 2, in a South Esterly direction from SCHWERM when S/Ldr Shepherd saw 3 F.W.190s flying on a parallel course, to Starboard and ahead of us at 4,000'. The F.W. 190s broke to Port into our attack, we followed round diving and turning inside them. I picked the Starboard e/a and fired a two second burst at fim from about 250 yards, in his turn. I saw strikes on the Port side of the engine and cockpit. Having too much speed, I overshot, under his tail, but tightened my turn and pulled in behind him again. He straightened out and I gave him a seven second burst, getting strikes on engine and cockpit. The e/a turned Starboard streaming oil which covered my windscreen. I fired one two second blind burst at him and he crashed from a gentle dive, into a field between two woods at T.2644 and burst into 200 yards of flame.

I claim 1 F.W. 190 S.N. Destroyed. 109

F/Sgt A. Kicq of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 17 April, 1945:

I was flying as Blue 3 on an Armed Recce in the WITTENBERGE - LUBECK - HAMBURG area.
     I had just been attacking a tug S.E. of HAMBURG and whilst climbing up, I saw Blue one and two preparing to go down and my number two with a strange aircraft with him. At that time my No. 2 reported E/A I was two miles from him but opened everthing up and began chasing him.
     The E/A began climbing in a N.W. direction. I caught him up after a three minute chase at 22,000 ft. I closed to 100 yards and gave a short bursts, 1 and a half seconds, approx: up to 50 yards. I saw hits on both wing roots and a small explosion.
     The E/A half rolled and began spinning down. I followed him down but lost him at 6,000 ft. F/Sgt Gigot who was flying Blue four saw him crash and explode on a house on the Southern suburbs of HAMBURG. I claim one ME 109 destroyed (Identified on film as FW 190.) 110

130 Squadron attacked Me 109s at Parchim Airfield on 18 April, 1945

W/Cdr George Keefer states: I was leading 130 Squadron of 12 aircraft on an armed recce. At 19.30 hours whilst flying at 6,000 ft I saw 11 ME 109's parked at the end of the runway on PARCHIM Airfield. I dived to attack followed by my No.2. I levelled out at 50 ft and when 1,000 yds from the nearest E/A opened fire with all my ammunition. I saw strikes all over five of the E/A which caught fire and explosions took place. The E/A burned fiercely.

F/O T. L. Trevorrow states: On April 18th I was flying No. 2 to W/Cdr Keefer in Red section on a free lance sweep. At approximately 19.45 we were passing close to PARCHIM A/D when from 7,000 ft I saw a bunch of 11 E/A on the ground at the end of the runway apparently about to take off as the fans were turning over. The W/Cdr led our section up sun where we waited for the E/A, which were ME 109's to take off. The E/A did not get airborne so the W/Cdr and I went down, whilst the others covered us from above. The W/Cdr went in first and I saw him start a fire in one of the aircraft and I fired into the middle of the bunch. I saw strikes immediately and there was a big flame and then an explosion. Debris flew up about 200 ft and as I flew through it my A/C was hit. I set course for base and on looking back I saw another explosion and there was a pillar of black smoke rising then to about 500 to 600 ft. I claim six of these eleven A/C destroyed and W/Cdr Keefer claims the other 5 A/C destroyed.

G/Capt. J. Johnson states: I was flying Blue 1 and saw W/Cdr Keefer and F/O Trevorrow make their attack on the eleven 109's. Four A/C were hit and commenced to burn. I then orbited the aerodrome at 6,000 ft and saw several large explosions as the remainder of the tightly packed formations caught fire. (In my opinion they were all bombed up). All eleven aircraft were completely burned out and as we passed the aerodrome twenty minutes later a dense pall of smoke reached 10,000 ft. 111

F/Lt I. R. Ponsford of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 19 April, 1945:

On April 19th Blue Section of 4 A/C were airbourne on an Armed Recce and I was Blue 2. Blue 1 had to go back because of trouble with his aircraft. F/Sgt Clay took over the lead. We were flying at 5,500 ft on a north easterly course when near HAGENOW we saw 20 plus FW 190's of the long nose variety flying on a reciprocal course at 6,500 ft two miles away to the starboard. We turned to starboard and chased after them and the E/A started to climb. When we were about 500 yards behind they broke down left on to us and a dog fight ensued. I had lost the leader in the chase as I could not jettison my tank. We all milled round and finally I found myself alone in the sky with one of the E/A. It immediately dived and pulled out on the deck. I chased him for about 15 miles on the deck and then I fired 4 bursts from line astern 15° angles off, the range being from 300 to 100 yards. He then made a turn to port and I turned inside him and gave him a burst from 50 yards from dead line astern. I saw strikes all over the wings and the E/A went straight into the ground. This was at 18.55 at WISMAR and the E/A went in from about 50 ft. I saw E/A hit the ground and it disintegrated.
     I claim this E/A destroyed. 112

F/O H. C. Dutton of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 19 April, 1945:

I was flying Red 2 and climbed to attack a long-nosed F.W. 190 above broken cloud at 5,000 feet. I closed to about 300 yds. fired a short burst from a little below and line astern and did not wait to observe any results as I turned to port after another F.W. 190. S/L Gordon, Red 1, witnessed the attack, saw many strikes and the pilot bale out, so I therefore claim 1 F.W. 190 Destroyed.
     I turned to port after this second F.W. 190 and fired a short burst from 400 yards at 90° angle off but saw no strikes. I closed to line astern and fired again at about 200 yds. I saw black smoke and pieces fly off from Wing roots.
     I claim this F.W. 190 damaged. 113

S/L J. B. Shepherd, D.F.C. of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 20 April, 1945:

I was leading Kudos Squadron (seven aircraft) as Yellow 1, on a sweep around NEURUPPIN/WITTSTOCK area. At a position approx. halfway between ORIENBURG and NEURUPPIN 10 A/C were sighted, identified as FW 190's and attacked. In the ensuing dogfight five FW's were shot down by the Squadron. I fired at one from approximately 200 yards getting strikes on cockpit and engine. This A/C went down in flames.
     Reforming the Squadron, we continued a northerly course to WITTSTOCK and without sighting any other E/A. I patrolled around WITTSTOCK for a short time, then decided to return to NEURUPPIN area. Approaching ORIENBURG more E/A were sighted mostly on the deck. Various chases occured, resulting in an ME 262 being hit by W/O Rossow, and made to crash land at a high rate of knots on NEURUPPIN Airfield. The other E/A made best use of the haze and got away.
     At this time a FW 190 was sighted by my No.2 which we chased. Closing on him, I opened fire from about 200 yds, range decreasing, I got strikes on his cockpit and engine, causing him to catch fire, and his undercarriage to drop. I broke away when this happened, and F/L Wilkinson my No. 2 carried on the attack and followed him down. This A/C went down in flames and crashed in the woods N.W. of ORIENBURG Aerodrome.
     I claim one FW 190 destroyed, and one FW 190 destroyed (shared with F/L Wilkinson). 114

F/Lt. Wilkinson of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 20 April, 1945:

I was flying as Yellow 2 in a northerly course over Teschendorf Woods at 7,000' when F/O Grey saw an aircraft flying south at 4,000' behind us. On investigation we found there were ten FW 190s (S.N.). When we attacked they broke up, some rolling over and diving for the deck. One e/a pulled up in a starboard climbing turn and started shooting at me not allowing nearly enough deflection. As I pulled round behind him I saw F/Sgt Scott get a couple of strikes on the engone before overshooting. I closed in to 200 yds and gave him a three second burst. The e/a burst into flames and dived straight into Teschendorf woods. After this combat we reformed, F/Lt Fisher set course for base with a rough engine. After a few minutes I saw one aircraft flying in the opposite direction to us about the same height and to port. We chased it and found it to be a FW 190 (SN). The e/a started to dive and we followed. I was on the port side of our section. As the e/a pulled up in a port climbing turn I gave him a very short burst but with insufficient deflection. I was gaining on him and was right in behind him at about 200 yds when I opened up with a long burst, about six seconds. I saw strikes on the engine, starting a fire. His port undercarriage leg fell down and then he suddenly burst into a mass of fire round the engine and cockpit. I stopped firing and broke upwards to see him dive into a wood near Neuruppin. At no time did I see S/Ldr Shepherd who was apparetnly firing at the e/a from below me.

I claim 1 FW 190 (SN) Destroyed shared with F/Sgt Scott, and 1 FW 190 (SN) Destroyed with S/Ldr. Shepherd. 115

W/O I. T. Stevenson of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 20 April, 1945:

I was flying as Yellow four to S/L Shepherd D.F.C. when we saw 10 E/A at 6 o'clock below. We did a steep turn and dived down on to the E/A. I got on the tail of one and gave it a short burst at about 400 yards 45°. I saw strikes on the fuselage and wing roots and the E/A tightened up his turn. When about 60° I gave another burst observing strikes on the cockpit, engine and starboard wing root. The E/A went into a shallow starboard dive and exploded in a sheet of flame on hitting the ground. The pilot did not bale out. I claim one FW 190 destroyed. 116

P/O P. J. Coleman of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 20 April, 1945:

I was flying as Kudos Blue 5 on an Armed Recce in the area south of the MURITE LAKE. The section was flying north of a point about 32 miles up the BERLIN / WITTENBERGE road, when W/O Boscow reported an aircraft below at three o'clock. I saw the aircraft on a northerly course and recognized it as a long nosed FW 190.
     Blue 3 and 4 peeled down but overshot and were attacked by the FW 190, I followed down and using a gyro- sight fired a short burst from 40° astern to port at 200 yds seeing strikes. The FW 190 turned hard to port and I followed switching on my camera which I had omitted to do losing distance in the turn. I closed easily and opened fire from dead astern. At 300 yds at 1,000 ft, a 2 seconds burst, during which he flick rolled on to his back and baled out.
     The aircraft plunged into the BINENWALDE LAKE (U 3907) and the pilot landed in the trees of a wood to the S.E. and verge of the lake.
     I did not jettison my 45 gal. tank.
     FW markings and camouflage as usual.
     I claim one F.W. 190 destroyed. 117

P/O Watkins of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 20 April, 1945:

The Squadron was flying in formation as two sections. Red section consisting of 4 A/C and led by F/L Muls, and Yellow section consisting of 3 A/C of which I was the leader, on a fighter sweep in the NAUEN - NEURUPPIN Area. At approx: 19.40 hours whilst on a north easterly course at 9,000 ft, Red 3 reported E/A below coming from the opposite direction. Yellow 2 immediately went down and I was on the point of doing so when I noticed 2 FW 190's coming towards me and my No. 3 slightly below us. I selected the one on the port side and made a sharp turn to port and gave a quick burst as E/A was overshooting me. I observed strikes on starboard mainplane. E/A then rolled on its back and in the process caught a long burst in its belly. E/A turned into a tight spiral and spun towards the ground when I saw it blow up.
     I claim this FW 190 destroyed, confirmed by my No. 3. 118

F/O Doncq of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 20 April, 1945:

I was No. 3 to P/O Watkins who was leading Yellow section of 350 Squadron engaged on a fighter sweep on the NAUEN - NEURUPPIN Area. We were on a course of 050°(M) at about 9,000 ft when Red 1 leader F/L Muls ordered Yellow section to go down on 2 E/A which had been sighted by Red 3. Yellow 2 F/Sgt Kicq went down and we were about to follow him when we noticed two more coming towards us on a reciprocal course and slightly below. Yellow leader and I went in to the attack - the leader taking the E/A on the port side and I selected the other one. The time was then about 19:40 hours. As soon as the E/A which I identified as a FW 190 saw me, it made a sharp turn to starboard and jettisoned its auxiliary tank. I turned to port and opening full throttle followed it as it started climbing very steeply. It then went on its back making a half roll during which time a had closed to within 200 yards. I fired twice a 2 second burst and E/A blew up.
     I claim this FW 190 destroyed, confirmed by Yellow leader P/O Watkins. 119

F/Lt Howarth of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 20 April, 1945:

I was flying Red 3 in a section of 8 A/C, consisting of two fours, on a sweep round the West of BERLIN. When in the NAUEN area I saw four F.W. 190's going in the opposite direction South below, but owing to R/T being in use was unable to report them for the moment. Eventually Yellow Section went down on them, and I was about to follow when I saw a F.W. 190 coming down on me from above. I pulled to one side skidding and he overshot me. I turned in and gave him a two second burst at about 100 yards closing and climbing slightly and turning starboard. I saw strikes on the engine and cockpit. I broke away to avoid the debris. The pilot of the F.W. 190 left the cockpit but no parachute was seen to open. I was at about 8,000'. There being no more enemy A/C I climbed above cloud (about 12,000') and rejoined the rest of the Squadron. I claim this F.W. 190 destroyed.
     This report is confirmed by my No.2 who stayed with me throughout the action (P/O Pauwels). 120

F/Sgt Kicq of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 20 April, 1945:

I was flying as Yellow 2 with 350 Sqn on a fighter sweep to NAUEN. We were on a Northerly course at the time when Red 1 reported E/A at 3 O'Clock. I turned to starboard and caught sight of two F.W. 190s some 3000' below me proceeding on a South Westerly course. I continued to turn and dived down on them. As soon as the E/A observed that I was chasing them, they dropped their jet tank and dived onto the deck. They were in line abreast at 30 yards interval some 300 yards from me. Every time I closed in the one on the Port side turned to Port followed 3 or 4 seconds afterwards by the other one. Whilst turning after them I fired many short bursts and observed strikes on the fuselage of the starboard E/A. I then climbed and waited until they were again below me and I resumed the chase once more. That happened four times. On the fourth occasion they split up and I dived from 4000' on one of them and fired line astern from 250 yards for a second. E/A again turned to Port but crashed into a tree.
I claim this F.W. 190 Destroyed and the other F.W. 190 Damaged. 121

F/Lt H. Walmsley D.F.C. of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 20 April, 1945:

On April 20th, I was leading Blue Section of my Squadron on an armed recce in the KREMMEN area. At 1510 hrs. when we were at 5,500 ft. I spotted 3 aircraft at 2 o'clock to us and slightly above. We turned in behind them and I saw that they were 190's (long nose). I got on to the tail of one which was climbing slightly. I fired a burst from 600 yards from line astern and saw strikes; whereupon the undercarriage came down. I closed to 300 yards and firing again, saw strikes all round the cockpit. Debris flew off narrowly missing my port wing. The enemy aircraft went into a vertical dive, pouring smoke and I saw him go down and crash into a lake. I claim this e/a destroyed. 122

F/Lt I. R. Ponsford of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 20 April, 1945:

I was Blue 3 in a section of 4 aircraft on an Armed Recce to the KREMMEN area, and at 1510, when at 5,500 feet I saw approximately 8 aircraft above approaching on our starboard side. They were FW 190's of the long-nosed variety. We broke round on them and two of the e/a broke upwards and started to turn together. I got in shots at one of them from 100 yards at about 20 degrees angle off and I saw strikes round the wing roots and cockpit. The e/a caught fire and the pilot baled out. I claim this e/a destroyed.
     Afterwards I called Blue 1 and asked him where he was and he said he was down below with two of them. I dived down and started to turn with them. I got behind the second one and gave him a short burst from about 75 yards from 20 degrees off. I saw strikes round the cockpit. We were then at 3,000 feet and the e/a dived down at an angle of 40 degrees with smoke pouring out and it was still diving when I last saw it at 1,000 feet. I claim this e/a probably destroyed.
     I did not follow this aircraft down any further because I wanted to get the other one which was still turning with Blue 1. When the pilot of this e/a saw me coming up behind, he broke down. I fired at him as he was going down and I saw strikes on his starboard wing. My cannon ammunition had run out but I chased the e/a for about 10 miles firing with my machine guns only. I saw strikes on the fuselage and then my .303 ran out. I followed him for about another 5 miles and then gave up the chase.
     I claim the first e/a destroyed, the second probably destroyed and the third damaged.

F/Lt Walmsley who was Blue 1 says: "After F/Lt Ponsford's first attack I saw a parachute going down. I also saw him attack the second e/a and I saw him get strikes all round the cockpit. The e/a went down with smoke pouring out. It was badly clobbered." 123

F/Lt C. J. Samouelle of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 20 April, 1945:

I was blue 3 and at 1930 hours we were at 5000 ft going North East near WITTSTOCK. I heard Red 3 (F/Lt Walmsley) report two aircraft at 12 o'clock. I saw these two aircraft at about 6000 ft going in the same direction as ourselves. They were ME 109's and they began to climb immediately. I opened up and gained height rapidly. I caught one of the e/a at 8000 ft and closed in and opened fire at 300 yds from astern and I saw strikes all round the cockpit and on the back of the e/a. There was a big red flash white smoke came out and I found myself flying through debris. I had to pull up sharply to avoid hitting the e/a. When I was able to look again the e/a was in a flat spin and at 4000 ft the pilot bailed out. I saw the aircraft go down and crash in a wood. I claim this e/a destroyed. 124

W/Cmdr George Keefer D.S.O. D.F.C. flying with 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 20 April, 1945:

I was flying with 130 Sqn and was leading Red Section. Our mission was an Armed Recce. About 1930 hrs we were in the WITTSTOCK area at 5000' going N.E. when we spotted two M.E. 109s slightly above us at 12 oclock to us and going the same way. We opened up and caught up with the e/a. I picked one and opened fire at dead astern. I saw strikes on the fuselage. I gave him another burst at closer range whereupon the e/a caught fire, crashed into a field and exploded.
I claim this E/A Destroyed. 125

F/L R. J. Taggart of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 20 April, 1945:

I was flying as Red No. 2 to S/L Gordon. We were on an Armed Recce in the HAGENOW-PARCHIM area. After an hour's patrol we were called back to HAGENOW aerodrome by Blackout leader who said that there were Huns scambling. I went down on a F.W. 190 that I sighted at 800 ft. and he dove down to the deck. I gave him a 3 sec busrt from astern and just above and I saw strikes all around the cockpit and he burst into flames and crashed into a field. Cine camera gun and fixed sight were used. I claim 1 F.W. 190 Destroyed. 126

F/O T.B. Lee of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 20 April, 1945:

Flying in a direction N.W. of HAGENOW Airdrome at about 500 feet. F/O Ratcliff, 402, Yellow one, sighted it first and went in on the attack. He fired several bursts in a running fight and broke away. I, 402 Yellow 2, pressed into the attack from 400 yds. and after several steep turns near the ground pressing to 200 yds., I obtained hits in the cockpit which produced a sizeable flame. The aircraft proceeded into a German house and exploded, spreading fire all over the immediate vicinity.
     I claim one Focke Wolfe 190 Destroyed. C.C.G. and fixed sight used. 127

F/L E. R. Burrows of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 21 April, 1945:

I was leading McDuff section on a patrol in the HITZACKER area when McDuff No. 2 reported a/c at 8 o'clock, we turned into them. My No. 3 shot off his ammo at one and I gave cover. I went into the same a/c, his evasive action was turning steeply. I kept on his tail and to avoid a spin he straightened out. I opened fire from 50 yards line astern. Part of his wing disintegrated and his a/c caught on fire. He jettisoned his coupe-top and baled out. His parachute never opened. His a/c was seen to crash by myself, No. 2 & No. 3. Fixed sight and cine used. I claim 1 ME 109 DESTROYED. 128

F/Lt C. J. Samouelle of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 24 April, 1945:

I was leading Yellow section of 130 Squadron and we were at 7,000 ft when Yellow 3 (F/Sgt Woodman) reported an A/C at 9 o'clock to us. We were flying East at the time. I immediately gave chase and we steadily overhauled the E/A which was diving towards the aerodrome at NEUSTADT. Just as we approached the A/D F/Sgt Woodman got within range and gave the E/A a short burst. It rolled over to starboard and crashed into a field. I also saw F/L Bruce (Yellow 5) attack a FW 190 on my starboard side. There was a great red flash from the E/A and the pilot baled out. This A/C crashed into a field S.E. of the aerodrome.
     By this time there were two or three FW 190's round the circuit I saw one with wheels down at about 1,000 ft going round the circuit. I closed in to about 300 yds and just as the E/A got its wheels up I opened fire from dead astern. I got strikes all over the rear of the fuselage and the E/A crashed immediately into a village N.W. of the aerodrome.
     I broke to port and saw another 190 south of the aerodrome at about 200 ft coming in to land. I pulled round and attacked from the starboard quarter. I saw strikes on the starboard wing. The E/A continued to fly on a straight course with wheels and flaps down. I continued to hit him and the E/A went in to land with white smoke pouring out of the starboard wing, at the end of his run he went slowly up on his nose.
     I claim the first E/A destroyed and the second damaged.

F/L Corbett states: I saw the A/C shot down by F/L Samouelle. I saw it crash into a house in the village and about 10 mins. later there was a big explosion from the same spot. I also saw F/L Samouelle firing at the second one. 129

F/Sgt B. W. Woodman of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 24 April, 1945:

I was Yellow 3 and was with my section on an armed recce. We were flying at 6,000 ft in an easterly direction and when near PRITZWALK I sighted a FW 190, 500 ft above going N.W. towards NEUSTADT. I called up my leader but as he did not receive me I broke over the top of him to attract his attention. As I finished my break I saw the E/A about a mile ahead diving. I closed to within 100 yds of him and then pulled out to one side to make certain of the E/A's identity. I saw the German markings. The German pilot then saw me for the first time and started a slow break to port. I pulled in behind him and opened fire. As a result of my first burst I saw strikes on the wing roots and fuselage. I missed with my second burst, but with my third burst I clobbered him all over the cockpit and the fuselage. The coop top came off and the E/A rolled to port. As I broke away from him I saw a parachute open about 50 ft from the ground. The E/A crashed into a wood in the S.W. corner of the airfield and it caught fire.

F/Lt Samouelle confirms this claim, he states:- Just as I got to the aerodrome I saw F/Sgt Woodman get within range of E/A and after he had fired the E/A crasehed into the S.W. corner of the aerodrome. 130

F/Lt Bruce of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 24 April, 1945:

My section was on an armed recce in the PLITZ WALK area and we were at 7,000 ft going East when Yellow 3 (F/Sgt Woodman) reported a F.W. 190 at 7,500 ft going N.E. As we approached the aerodrome I saw another F.W. 190 at a 1,000 ft with its wheels down about to make its approach and land. I pulled up to the right to lose speed and then came down behind the e/a opening fire at 300 yds, at 30 degrees off. I saw strikes on the fuselage near the cockpit. The e/a had retracted his undercarriage and turned to port. I closed to 50 yds and saw him jettison his hood. He turned tightly across me. I fired again as he crossed me and I saw more strikes on the starboard wing. The e/a slowly rolled on its back and went down vertically to about 500 ft at which height the pilot bailed out. The A/C went down and crashed about 2 miles from the A/D.

F/LT Samouelle confirms the claim. He says: I saw the e/a claimed by F/LT Bruce crash into a field on the edge of a wood on the South East side of the Aerodrome. There was a big red flash as F/LT Bruce attacked and the pilot bailed out. 131

W/O R. E. Coverdale of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 24 April, 1945:

I was flying Red 6 and we were on an armed recce in the LUBECK - WISMAR area. At about 17.35 we were at 6,000 ft when I saw a F.W. 190 at 1,000 ft going West near HAGENOW. It was first attacked by Red 3 (F/O Trevarrow) and Red 5 W/O Miller without result. The e/a had gone down to about 50 ft when Red 5 broke away and the e/a broke right. I fired at once from about 150 yds full deflection and I saw strikes on the wing roots and cockpit. The e/a turned and went down in a gradual dive. I fired at him again as he went down and I saw him crash into a field. I claim this e/a destroyed.

W/O Miller confirms the claim: He says: I saw W/O Coverdale firing full deflection. I saw the e/a crash into a field and turn over on it side. 132

F/Lt W. N. Stowe of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 24 April, 1945:

I was leading Blue Section at 1935 hrs we were 6000' West of RECHLIN Airfield when I saw 2 E/A crossing over the 'drome heading N.E. The Section started to attack these when I observed three or four F.W. 190's with wheels down about to land. I went for these and closed in on the last one firing from dead astern. I just had time to observe strikes and a big flash from the tail of the E/A. I was closing so fast I had to pull away. I did not see the E/A crash but Sgt Lewis who was orbitting the arifield saw the E/A which I had fired at, go in, crash, and catch fire.

Sgt Lewis says: I saw the E/A fired at by F/Lt Stowe go into the 'drome and catch fire. 133

P/O Edwards of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 25 April, 1945:

I was Blue 3 flying on and Armed Recce and when in the PRITZWALK area I saw six A/C in the circuit of an airfield. They were FW 190s. We dived down on them and I chased several of them without any luck. Eventually I singled out one and chased him across the field at 0', firing at him at 15 degrees angle off. I followed him round on a left hand turn and I fired at him again. He steepened his turn and I pulled up and concentrated on another one and then the first one that I had attacked turned into me and started firing. I pulled my nose up and gave him a short burst from about 150 yards at 120 degrees. He started to smoke so I turned and followed him and came in on his tail. I was about to give him another burst when the Pilot of the E/A baled out. I saw the E/A crash into a field just off the aerodrome. I took a picture of the crash.
I claim this E/A destroyed. 134

F/Lt I. R. Ponsford of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 25 April, 1945

I was leading Yellow Section and at 0825 we were over RECHLIN aerodrome when Yellow 4 (F/Lt Bruce) reported A/C taking off. I told him to go down and saw him attack an E/A without results. I then went down with my No.2 (W/O Coverdale) and I saw a 109G with its wheels down making a slight turn to Port. I closed to about 50 yards and started firing at 20 degrees off. I saw strikes all round the cockpit, engine and wings. The E/A began to pour white and black smoke and it rolled over slowly onto its back, crashed into some woods and exploded as it hit the ground. We were reforming when I saw a F.W. 190 about 3000' above us and I climbed with my No.2 When the Pilot of the E/A saw me it rolled over and spiralled down, pulling out at about 1000'. I had followed it and I closed with it and started firing from about 150 yards closing to 100 yards, at 30 degrees off. I saw strikes on the side of the fuselage by the cockpit. I broke away and the E/A went into a steep spiral dive for the aerodrome and I thought it was destroyed. It pulled out just above the ground and I saw the E/A getting light flak from its own defences. We circled the aerodrome waiting to see if it would crash, but it did not.
     I claim the first E/A destroyed and the second Damaged. 135

P/O E. Pauwels of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 25 April, 1945:

On the 25th April I was Red 4 in a section of 4 A/C led by S/L Walmsley and engaged on an armed recce in the WISMAR - ROSTOCK area. At approximately 12.50 hrs. a gaggle of 20+ E/A was sighted some 15 miles west of MURITZ LAKE at 8,000 ft. We were flying at 7,000 ft at the time on a course of 140° (M); apart from the four rear ones flying as a four two abreast, remaining E/A did not seem to be flying any particular course nor in any sort of formation. I had jettisoned my auxiliary tank as soon as E/A were reported. I opened full throttle and followed Red Leader as he went in first to attack. I selected two E/A on the port side which I identified as FW 190's, flying in line astern and started chasing them as they dived down. I closed in very quickly behind them and fired one long burst 5 sec. at the rear one from dead astern within 250 - 200 yds. I observed strikes on cockpit and on wing roots and debris flew off E/A with black smoke pouring out. The E/A went on its side and pilot baled out - a fraction of a second aferwards E/A blew up in the air. I claim this FW 190 destroyed.
     I resumed the chase for the front E/A which was at the time some 400 - 500 yds in front of me. I closed in and when within a range of 300 - 250 yds I gave another long burst with cannon and .5 machine gune fire - 6 second -, and saw strikes on fuselge and mainplane. E/A flicked and spun in towards the ground where it blew up. I did not see the pilot bale out. I orbitted the spot where the E/A crashed to make doubly sure the E/A was destroyed.
     I claim this FW 190 also destroyed. 136

S/L H. Walmsley of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 25 April, 1945:

I was leading Red Section of 350 Squadron of 4 A/C on an armed recce in the WISMAR - ROSTOCK Area on the 25th April. We were flying at 7,000 ft in a south westerly direction when at 12.50 hours 2 E/A were reported by Red 2 at 12 o'clock at 8,000 ft flying in the same direction. We closed in to attack and noticed that the 2 E/A were in fact the reargaurd of a gaggle of some 15 + Fw 190's in a disorganized formation. I approached the starboard rear one and fired at at 15° angle of attack from 250 - 200 yds as E/A began a gentle turn to port. I observed numerous strikes on the cockpit and mainplane and debris flew off E/A. The pilot subseuqently baled out and the aircraft went diving towards the ground.
     I claim this FW 190 destroyed, confirmed by my No 2 F/Sgt Neulinger. 137

W/Cdr. George Keefer of 125 Wing recorded in his Combat Report for 25 April, 1945:

I was leading Spinner Blue Section on an armed Recce when just East of an Airfield in the Pritzwalk area Blue 3 reported A/C in the circuit of the airfield. We dived down on them from 6000' and as we went over the field, more were taking off. I picked out one and fired on him from 30 degrees angle and saw one strike. The E/A turned to Port and went down to the deck, straightened and flew straight and level. I gave him another burst and got strikes all over him. He crashed into a wood. I claim this enemy aircraft Destroyed.
     F/O Trevorrow confirms this. He says: I was Blue 2; I saw the W/Cmdr firing at the F.W. 190. The E/A rolled over onto his back, dived into a wood and burst into flames. 138

F/Sgt Gigot of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 26 April, 1945:

I was Red 4 in a section of 4 A/C led by S/L Walmsley engaged on an armed recce in the PRITZWALW - WUSTROW Area. At about 13.00 hours whilst flying North at 7,000 ft in the PLAUER LAKE area, Red Leader reported E/A at 2 o'clock some 4 - 5,000 yds ahead flying North, north east and climbing, Red leader ordered the chase and we started climbing after them. We caught up with E/A, three of them, and still climbing, and when within a range of some thousand yards and some 1,000 ft below them, the E/A on the port side made a 180° turn to port to attack us from above. We allowed E/A which we identified as a FW 190 to come within range of 600 -700 yds and then climbed steeply and got on its tail. The E/A then made a 360° climbing turn but in doing so stalled. We then saw the pilot bale out and the FW went spinning down towards the ground. This FW 190 is claimed destroyed by the four pilots of Red Section.
     We had by then lost sight of the other E/A. We set a course south and after a few minutes flight, slighted the two E/A at our own height (8000 ft) at 2 o'clock some 3,000 yds away. They did not seem to be steering any particular course but appeared to be orbitting a point some 5 miles N.W. of WITTSTOCK. We closed in towards them and as soon as they caught sight of us, they flew a south easterly course line abreast gradually losing height. I had jettisoned my auxiliary tank when E/A were first reported and so I was able to catch up with these, also identified as FW 190's, the chase went on around the NEURUPPIN Aerodrome, which we reached at a height of less than 100 ft. When within a range of some 300 yds the E/A on the starboard side broke starboard with the apparent aim of getting on my tail. Meanwhile I had opened fire at some 300 - 250 yds at a 5° - 10° angle off on the port side E/A. I observed numerous strikes on the port wing. E/A then flicked violently to port and crashed into the trees at Z 4885.
     I then broke port as I thought that the other E/A was on my tail but it had disappeared. I called to Red Leader and rejoined the formation at 5,000 ft west of NEURUPPIN whence we set course for base. I claim this FW 190 destroyed. 139

F/Lt. Wilkinson of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 28 April 1945:

I was flying as Blue 2 orbiting SCHWERIN aerodrome at 8,000' when F/Lt. Gaze saw 10 plus FW 190s. We tried unsuccessfully to drop our tanks and dived onto E/A that were about 3000' severeral of which promptly dropped their bombs on SCHWERIN. I saw F/Lt Gaze get into the tail of one but overshot as the E/A rolled over and went down. I throttled right back and went into fine pitch as I rolled over and followed E/A, which pulled up in a steep port climbing turn leaving wing tip trails. I fired a 3 second burst at him in the turn, but with incorrect deflection. I still had too much speed and had to roll around his tail as he straightened up. E/A was still doing gentle turn to port, when I fell in behind him again firing a two second burst from 250 yards, but missed. Opening up I closed to 50 yards, where I could clearly see that the E/A had a bomb under the belly. I gave him a two second burst, seeing strikes over the engine and cockpit. E/A immediately blew up and I ducked in my cockpit as I had to get through the wreckage. I felt the intense heat on my head and shoulders and everything was red. As I looked up, there was a bit of blazing wreckage falling into the buildings of SCHWERIN aerodrome and bits of flame trickling off my wings. The engine was vibrating badly so I got an emergency homing. On returning I had to land fast as my A/C was wallowing. When I got out, one propeller blade tip was missing and most of the fabric on the elevators and rudders was burnt off. There were also little dents and holes all over the A/C.
     During the combats the E/A panicked and went into cloud. One of them presumably lost control and spun in bursting into flames which I claim shared with F/Lt Gaze.

I claim FW 190 Dest. and 1 unidentified A/C (Presumably FW 190) Dest. shared with F/Lt Gaze. 140

S/Ldr Shepherd of 41 Squadron got lucky, encountering a by then rare ME 109 late in the war, recording in his Combat Report for 30 April, 1945:

I was flying as Kudos Red 3 on ELBE bridgehead patrol; Ground Control reported Huns approaching bridges. Just then our A.A. opened up and I saw an FW 190 bomber, slightly above and 12 o'clock, coming towards me. I pulled up and around on to his tail as he passed and gave him a short burst; he immediately caught fire and crashed in flames a few miles North of LAUENBURG. He jettisoned his cockpit hood, but no pilot appeared to get out.
    Returning to bridgehead, I climbed to 6,000 ft and patrolled between two layers of cloud: A.A. fire started to burst a short distance away and an ME 109 appeared through cloud. I chased the E/A and opened fire from approx. 400 yards, obtaining strikes and causing a thick trail of Glycol smoke to pour from underneath the E/A. He immediately jettisoned hood and dived for the deck; I followed giving him about three more short bursts and getting strikes each time. He finally crash landed heavily in a field a few miles N.W. of RATZEBURG LAKE. I gave another burst on the ground causing wreckage to catch fire. No one appeared to get out of the wreck.
    I claim 1 FW 190 and 1 ME 109 destroyed. 141

F/L F.A.O. Gaze of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 30 April, 1945:

I was leading Kudos Red section of four aircraft on a patrol of the bridgehead area at LAUENBERG when bandits were reported to be approaching from the North East. We sighted an FW 190 which we chased and which S/L Shepard destroyed. I then sighted another FW through a gap in the clouds and climbed up through the cloud and attacked it. I fired two bursts of approx 1 second each. The first above cloud when he jettisoned his bomb and the second as he entered it. There were many strikes and the E/A caught fire behind the cockpit, pieces fell off and it dived straight into the ground and exploded at a village about three miles north of LAUENBERG. I then attacked one of 8 ME 109's which jettisoned their bombs whilst turning into me. I had to break off as they formed a circle and the leader fired at me as I was about to fire on the last one. They then made for cloud and I chased them but was not quick enough and they disappeared.
    I claim 1 FW 190 (short nosed) destroyed. 142

S/Ldr F. G. Wooley of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 30 April, 1945:

I was leading red section and we were at 2,000 ft patrolling just south of Lauenberg when I sighted a short nose FW 190 flying west at 2,500 ft. I gave chase and caught up with the e/a just west of Winsen, pinpoint S 6233. The e/a turned to port and I gave it a two second burst from 400 yds at an angle off of 20 degrees. I observed many strikes in the cockpit and on the port wing roots large pieces came away from the e/a which caught fire and fell away out of control. I saw it crash in a swamp. This was observed by other members of the section. I claim this enemy aircraft destroyed.
     F/Lt Corbett who saw the combat says: I saw the C/O attack this FW 190. He obtained a large number of strikes and I saw the aircraft go up in flames and fall out of control into a swamp. 143

F/Lt I. R. Ponsford of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 30 April, 1945:

I was leading Yellow Section and we were out on patrol in the Wittenburg-Ludwigslust area. At about 1130 hrs when we were at 4,000 ft about a dozen short nose FW 190's were sighted in the circuit of a landing ground at Banzkow to the south of the lake at Schwerin. I had seen Yellow 3 (P/O Edwards) go in to attack and one FW 190 went down into a wood and exploded. I went after another of the e/a and he imediately went down to the deck. I followed him down and opened fire at 100 yards astern. I saw strikes on the wings and cockpit. He pulled up sharply and I came up behind him, closing to about 30 yards. At this point the belly tank of the e/a exploded and the aircraft burst into flames. The Hun pilot baled out but his parachute streamed and did not open.
     By this time I was at about 500 ft and looking down I saw two more e/a. I went down and got on the tail of one of them and closed in very rapidly, firing from about 100 yds down to 50 yds. I saw strikes on the fuselage and the e/a immediately caught fire in the air. I broke hard left and watched him going down. The e/a crashed and exploded on the ground. The pilot did not get out.
     I claim both of these enemy aircraft destroyed.
     P/O confirms the first e/a destroyed. He says: I saw the first aricraft attacked by Yellow 1 crash into a wood. I also saw the pilot bale out but the parachute did not open. 144

F/Lt I. R. Ponsford & P/O Edwards of 130 Squadron shared a kill recording in their Combat Report for 30 April, 1945:

P/O Edwards says:
     I was flying No 3 in Yellow section and we were on patrol between Wittenburg and Ludwiglust. We were at 4,000 ft and when near the lake at Schwerin I sighted an aircraft at zero feet flying across the lake going west towards Schweriner. I recognised it as a short nose FW 190. I came in to attack it and opened fire at 600 yards at an angle off of 20 degrees. I came round to dead astern and closed to 200 yards and when the aircraft was about at 100 feet I saw strikes on the fuselage. I pulled up and my No 1 came in and gave the e/a a short burst just as it was obviously going in in an attempt to make a forced landing. I saw it hit the ground and went back and straffed it. I claim this aircraft e/a destroyed, shared with F/Lt Ponsford.

F/Lt Ponsford reports:
     I was Yellow 1 and after Yellow 3 had fired and pulled away to starboard I saw that the e/a was very close to the ground and was apparently going to make a force landing as it was going so slowly. I opened fire at 200 yards and got strikes on the wing and engine. Almost at once it hit the ground and cartwheeled over in a cloud of dust. Afterwards it was straffed by Yellow 3. I claim this e/a destroyed, shared with P/O Edwards. 145

F/Lt I. R. Ponsford & P/O Edwards of 130 Squadron shared another recording in their Combat Report for 30 April, 1945:

P/O Edwards reports:
     I was Yellow 3 and my No 1 (F/Lt Ponsford) and I had already been engaged with enemy aircraft which we had sighted in the circuit of a landing ground south of Lake Schwerin. Between us we had already accounted for four between us when I went for another one head on. I fired but saw no strikes, but I noticed he was streaming a small amount of smoke. I immediately turned and went after him and chased him round the landing ground. My cannon ammunition had run out so I fired at him with my .5's until this ammunition ran out too. I saw no strikes, but as I followed the aircraft I called on my No 1 to come down. F/Lt Ponsford came down and took on the e/a. I saw the pilot bale out and the aircraft crashed into a wood. I claim this e/a destroyed, shared with F/Lt Ponsford.

F/Lt Ponsford, Yellow 1 says: My No 3 called me up to come down and attack an aircraft as he had no more ammunition. I had just finished off two of the 190's so I went down and saw my No 3 and the e/a heading south east. I opened fire from 200 yards from above, at a 20 degree angle off. I saw no strikes. I rapidly overshot the e/a so I pulled up, did a sharp turn to the left and came down on the e/a again, firing at him with my .5's as my 20 mm had run out. I saw some strikes round the wing roots and the engine. I overshot him again and I had to break hard to avoid colliding with the e/a. The next thing I saw was a parachute come out and the aircraft crashed into a wood.
     I claim this e/a destroyed shared with P/O Edwards. 146

F/Lt W. N. Stowe of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 30 April, 1945:

I was leading Blue section on a patrol in the Wittenburg-Ludwigslust area. We were flyig at 2,000 feet going south, when at 0945 I saw nine FW 190's short nose at zero feet going S/W. We were near Banzkow. We dived on to them and attacked them from astern. They continued to fly straight and level. I selected the last one in the bunch and opened fire from 700 yards and saw strikes on the tail and the fuselage. I gave two short bursts, closing to 300 yards and saw more strikes. I must have caught the engine because the e/a slowed right down, turned to port and made a force landing, wheels up, in a field near Salstorf. I then went after another e/a, and again making use of my gyro sight opened fire from 600 yards at an angle off of about 20 degrees. I saw strikes on the tail. I closed to about 400 yards and fired again from the same angle off. As I saw strikes so the e/a blew up in the air. I then returned to where I had seen the first one force land, and with my No 2 went in to finish it off. I fired but saw no strikes. My No 2 (F/O Trevorrow) attacked and as he fired and got strikes the aircraft caught fire. I claim one FW 190 destroyed and one FW 190 destroyed shard with F/O Trevorrow.

F/O Trevorrow says: I was flying Blue 2 to F/Lt Stowe. I saw him get strikes on the first e/a. He hit it on the tail and in the fuselage. It emitted smoke and force landed in a field. I followed my No 1 and he got on the tail of a second e/a. He gave it a short squirt and it blew up in the air. It went down into a field where it dissmeinated. We then went back to where the first one had force landed. I fired at it and it immediately went up in flames. I claim one FW 190 destroyed shared with F/Lt Stowe. 147

F/O Lord of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 30 April, 1945:

I was flying Blue 3 and we were on a patrol at 2,000 feet. Near Banzkow I saw about nine short nose FW 190's flying fairly close together, line abreast going south west. We dived to attack and I picked out the middle one of the formation. It broke to port and I broke with it and got behind it. I opened fire from dead astern from about 200 yards and I saw strikes on the tail and on the cockpit. Pieces came off and the e/a flicked over and went into a wood at Pampow. I claim this aircraft destroyed. 148

P/O D. J. Watkins of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 30 April 1945:

I was leading Red section of 3 A/C on a Patrol in the WITTENBURG - LUDWIGSLUST area. Due to cloud I flew North of the Patrol line in the SCHWERIN area. At about 1045 hrs Red 3 (F/Lt Bangerter) reported A/C at zero feet flying S.W.; We were at about 8000' at the time and flying N.W. On investigating I saw some 30 plus E/A flying in two loose boxes. I led the section down out of the sun and engaged the E/A in the first box. I and No. 2 (F/Sgt Gigot) closed behind 3 E/A which I identified at F.W. 190s (Long nosed) to a range of about 100 yards. I opened fire on the Port E/A with a short burst dead astern. There were many strikes and No. 2 states that it rolled over and crashed into flames. At the time an E/A landing on a strip East of a wood at T/4554, worried by our arrival, cartwheeled and broke up on the strip. I claim the first F.W.190 Destroyed, and the second one claimed destroyed, shared by myself, Red 2 (F/Sgt Gigot) and Red 3 (F/Lt Bangerter). Meanwhile the main body of E/A had formed a great defensive circle over the strip. I made a series of passes at them; I was now alone. Shortly after Red 3 joined me and flew my No. 2. I engaged a FW 190 (short nosed) fires a long burst from dead astern and covered its starboard wing with strikes. It wallowed badly and crashed into the wood by the strip in flames. Confirmed by F/Lt Bangerter. I claim this FW 190 Destroyed. I turned across the strip and strafed another FW 190 which was standing surrounded by personnel. I observed strikes and some smoke. I claim this FW 190 Damaged. 149

F/Sgt G. Gigot of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 30 April 1945:

I was Red 2 in a section of three aircraft led by P/O Watkins and engaged on a patrol in the WITTENBURG-LUDWIGSLUST area. At about 1045 hours e/a were reported by Red 3, flying at zero feet in a south-westerly direction. We were at the time at a height of 8,000 feet and flying N.W. We went down to investigate and identified them as FW 190's flying in two loose formations. Red 1 picked the port one of three aircraft flying in line abreast at the rear of the first box, and I chose the starboard one. When within range of 100-75 yards I fired a three-second burst from dead astern. I saw strikes on port wing root. E/A then rolled on its back and crashed in flames south of BANZKOW. Pilot did not bale out. Meanwhile I had overshot and the middle e/a of the three got on my tail and was firing at me. I was not touched and made a steep climbing turn to starboard with the intention of getting after that third a/c but it had disappeared. At that moment a FW 190 which was coming in to land, apparently thought we were going to strafe it and went into a cartwheel and broke up on the strip. I claim the first FW 190 destroyed, and the second one destroyed shared by myself, F/Lt Bangerter and P/O Watkins. 150

F/Lt. P. M. Bangerter of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 30 April 1945:

On the 30th of April I was flying as Red 3 in a section of 3 A/C led by P/O Watkins on a Patrol in the WITTENBURG - LUDWIGSLUST area. Flying N.W. at 8000' from the Patrol line I reported A/C below flying S.W. very low. Red 1 and 2 dived to attack and shortly afterwards Red 1 reported a second Gaggle of some 10 plus E/A behind the first gaggle. I positioned myself to attack an E/A on the extreme starboard side of the second formation. I dived on it - E/A identified as F.W.190, turned to Port. I gave a long burst but failed to obtain strikes. An attack on another E/A was unsuccessful. After this Red 2 called up saying he was returning to base as he had run out of ammo, so I found No.1. Shortly afterwards I saw an F.W.190 which he had been attacking, crash in flames in a wood nearby. I fired at another F.W.190 just as it was turning to Port some 300 yards ahead of me using two rings of the ring and bead of the Gyro sight. It straightened out, and then crashed in flames in the wood, confirmed by Red 1. Whilst I had been attacking an aircraft of the second gaggle, most of the remainder of both gaggles had formed a defensive circle over a landing strip at T/4854. After joining Red 1 I found myself astern of a FW 190, so throttled back, it commenced to weave violently, I followed without firing until it flicked and crashed in a clearing by the strip and went up in flames. I took a camera shot of the burning remains. I climbed up to join Red 1 and returned to bae. I claim 2 FW 190s Destroyed and 1 FW 190 Destroyed (shared with P/O Watkins and F/Sgt Gigot). 151

F/L D. R. Drummond of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 30 April, 1945:

I was leading 402 Squadron on an Armed Recce in the Schwerin-Lubeck area when Control informed me that there had been a combat near the Schwerin aerodrome. I went there but could find nothing. Then they vecored me south of the lake where I found a F.W. 190 orbiting a field containing burning aircraft. I fired one burst of about 1 second from about 600 yards at about 60° or less deflection when he started turning into me. I then closed in to about 100 yards or less and after considerable manoeuvering managed to get in a 1-2 sec burst from about 10 plus degrees during which I saw the a/c begin to burn and pieces come off. It then went into a diving turn to port burning all the time and crashed in the woods in flames. Fixed reflector Gun sight and Cine camera gun used. I claim 1 F.W. 190 Destroyed. 152

F/L S. M. Knight of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 30 April, 1945:

I was flying Blue 1 with 402 Squadron on an armed recce in the SCHWERINER LAKE area. I saw a F.W. 190 flying at 100 ft. over the lake in the direction of SCHWERIN. I attacked from line astern at about 250 yard range and after a short turning tussle, I observed strikes on the engine, fuselage and wing roots. The e/a started to smoke and dive toward the ground. I saw the pilot bale out and he landed in the town. The a/c crashed in the town also. Gyro Gun Sight and Cine Camera Gun were used. I claim 1 F.W. 190 DESTROYED. 153

F/L F. E. Hanton of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 30 April, 1945:

I was flying as Blue 2 in 402 Squadron on an armed recce East of SCHWERINER LAKE when I sighted 5 F.W. 190's below us at 200 ft. Being in the wrong position, I called Blue 3 to go down on the port F.W. who was dragging behind. I broke around behind him and 2 F.W. 190's pulled up sharply in front of me when I was 3/4 of the way around the turn. I climbed steeply after them and got a 1-2 second burst from dead astern and from about 250 yards at one, seeing a few strikes on his port wing. He broke sharply down towards the ground and the other continued climbing. I claim 1 F.W. 190 damaged.

I continued after the latter F.W. and after going through one layer of cloud, managed to get a good shot at it from about 300 yards range and astern and at about 5,000 ft. I got lots of strikes on the starboard wing-root and more than half of his wing broke away. The e/a flicked over and spun down into cloud and I tried to follow him down. A few seconds after I broke cloud I saw and explosion below me in a woods and F/L Knight (Blue 1) confirms this, as he saw the fire burning below him. Fixed Gun Sight and Cine Camera used in both combats.
     I claim 1 F.W. 190 Destroyed. 154

F/O Lord of 130 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 1 May 1945:

At 16.15 hrs the Section was flying South at 5,000 ft., just North of the town of SCHWERIN when Blue 1 (F/Sgt STOWE) reported an E/A at 7,000 ft. also going South. Blue 1 attacked first but lost the E/A in cloud. I had followed him after the E/A which was an ME 109 and it made off to the East. I chased it in and out of cloud which was about 5/10 from 4,000 to 8,000 feet. I got to within 500 yards of the E/A and began firing short bursts at him through breaks in the cloud at an angle off of 5 degrees. I saw strikes on the cockpit and smoke began to appear. The E/A started to go down, half rolled on its back and crashed at the edge of a small lake S.W. of HOLZENDORF. As the aircraft crashed I saw white smoke on the ground and little fires were burning. I claim this E/A destroyed. 155

S/L J. B. Shepherd, D.F.C. of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 1st May 1945:

I was flying as Kudos Blue 1 in Schwerin Lake area. Various individual Hun aircraft were seen flying in and out of cloud. Blue 3 and 4 chased after one and myself and Blue 2 chased after two others diving east. Looking around to ensure that nothing was making a pass of us, I spotted a FW 190, about a 1000 ft above and coming around on our tail. We broke around on this aircraft and quite a dog fight ensued amongst the three of us, the E/A pilot appeared to have lots of clues and made use of cloud cover as much as possible. This went on for 5 to 8 minutes before we finally managed to shoot him down and he crashed and blew up a few miles East of Schwerin Lake. A paracute appeared on the ground near the wreckage so it would appear the pilot got out although he wasn't seen to bale out.

I claim 1 FW 190 (Long Nose) destroyed shared with F/O Gray. 156

F/O G. Gray of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 1 May 1945:

I was flying as Kudos 2 when I noticed two aircraft at same height at about ten o'clock of us. I reported these and we gave chase. Kudos Blue 1 noticed another aircraft coming towards us and on our starboard. We turned into this one to have a look. It was a FW 190. We gave chase. I got to within 300 yds and opened fire observing strikes on front of cockpit. E/A broke to starboard and went into cloud. I turned and went over this cloud. E/A came out of cloud on my port. Blue 1 had also attacked E/A and got strikes on it. E/A broke away again and I followed it. It was heading for a small cloud. I closed to within 150 yds as it entered cloud. I opened fire with a burst of three seconds. Did not see strikes due to cloud but black smoke was pouring from E/A. E/A came out of cloud in a very fast spin. I followed it down for a few hundred feet when pilot baled out. I observed E/A hit the deck and explode.

I claim 1 Long Nosed FW 190 Destroyed shared with S/Ldr Shepherd. 157

P/O P. J. Coleman of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 1 May 1945:

I was flying as Kudos Red 4, but became separated from my section whilst identifying an aircraft. I decided to scout round Schwerin airfield before returning to base. I climbed to about 24,000 ft and worked around to the East along the Baltic coast, turning South at Rostock and finally decending to below the 7,000 cloud base and apporaching Schwerin from the East after jettisoning my 45 gallon tank. There was a 1000 ft blanket of thick, dark cloud over the lake area. Flying at 6,000 ft I observed nine plus FW 190's in no orderly formation, nipping in and out of the cloud above. I climbed to attack to rearmost of the gaggle, but found the two leaders on my tail firing at me. I evaded the formost in a climbing turn through the cloud, then swiftly descended again and found one FW in view. I attacked this one using the gyro sight, he climbed and my gyro sight disappeared below my vision, however I contined to pull my nose straight through whilst firing and observed strikes about the cockpit. The e/a went into a tight spiral towards the ground but I didn't attempt to follow up my attack until I saw it straighten out on an easterly course. I then pursued closing rapidly saw him jettison his hood, losing height all the time and finally bale out, I believe too low for the parachute to open fully. The e/a crashed in flames and I observed the pilot a motionless figure on the ground beside his chute. I used the independent camera switch and took film of the e/a on dive towards the ground and also burning on the ground S.W. of Plau. I climbed up above the cloud once again, making towards Schwerinen. Flying at about 200 ft above the layer I was attacked from astern by a FW.190 who I presume had been lurking just below the top of the cloud. I evaded by diving through cloud, the e/a did not follow. Whilst still diving I found myself over Schwerinen lake and observed two aircraft below flying N. in close line abreast, low over the water. I continued my dive towards them and recognised them as FW.190s, preparing to fire at them at 800 yards behind them I saw the left hand e/a turn sharply into the other. The two e/a, interlocked and plunged into the northerly waters of the lake, the cause, presumably, panic. I had informed Kenway control and also my C.O. leading another Kudos section of the Hun's position. I found the maltese cross markings on the first batch of e/a very difficult to discern against the dark green camouflage.
     I claim three F.W.190s destroyed. 158

F/Lt. P. Cowell of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 1 May 1945:

I was leading Kudos Red section of six aircraft on a sweep round the Schwerin Lake and aerodrome in search of enemy aircraft. We had done one orbit round the aerodrome at about 4,000 ft when Kudos Red 4 reported an aircraft flying in the opposite direction on the deck. Kudos Red 3 and 4 then broke away to attack it and Red 5 and 6 chased another aircraft also flying on the deck. I turned back over the lake with my No 2, having climbed through a thick patch of cumulus cloud to 6,000 ft, and spotted two long nosed FW 190s flying East at zero ft over the lake. I told Red 2 to follow me down as I attacked the e/a flying on the starboard side opening fire at about 300 yds. Strikes were observed and the aircraft streamed smoke and pulled up almost vertically. I closed to about 50 yds and gave it another burst observing strikes on the cockpit and the port wing. The aircraft flicked over on its back and went straight in near the S.E. corner of the lake.
     I then observed the other 190 orbiting to the North of me so I attacked him opening fire at 300 yds and closed to 50 yds. A large piece flew off his port wing and the pilot baled out, the aircraft crashing near the first one. Red 1 and 2 then returned to base.

I claim 2 FW 190's Destroyed. 159

W/O I. T. Stevenson 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 1 May 1945:

When on patrol over the bridges at Launberg we saw 1 FW 190 pop out of a cloud at 2 o'clock. I opened up and approached him from 5 o'clock. He saw us and half rolled into cloud. I went round to the other side and engaged him as he came out he went into cloud and came out between Red 1 and 2. On seeing them he went into cloud again and repeated the manouever once or twice laterly rolling and going straight down to the deck. I followed and when about 600 yds away gave a short burst which made him weave. When approaching Wittenburg I had closed to 300 yds and gave a short burst observing strikes. The E/A throttled back and I had to pull up. The E/A got on my tail and a dog fight ensued for about two minutes. During the dog fight I pulled up and did a stall turn getting on to the E/A's tail. He did a tight turn dropped his bombs, flicked over and went straight in, exploding at the edge of a wood S.W. of Wittenburg. The pilot did not bale out.

I claim 1 FW 190 destroyed. 160

F/Lt R. Muls of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 1 May 1945:

I was leading Blue section of 6 A/C on a patrol in the WITTENBURG-LUDWIGSLUST area. At about 1750 hrs. whilst the section was flying West at 10,000 ft. in the Schweriner Lake area, Blue 5 (F/O Leva) reported one aircraft below at zero feet. I asked Blue 5 to go down, and the rest of the section followed him as we had not seen the reported aircraft. At about 5000 ft. I noticed a gaggle of 20+ E/A (identified as FW 190 S.N.) flying west in sections of threes, also at zero ft.
     I chose the section on the extreme starboard side of the gaggle, and selected an E/A on the port side of that section. I closed to within 300 yds. and fired at E/A at a 15° angle deflection closing to line astern. After a 2-second burst, flames appeared in the port wing and the E/A crashed in flames on the ground followed by a big explosion.
     I claim this FW 190 destroyed, confirmed by Blue 2. 161

F/Sgt H. Boels of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 1 May 1945:

On the 1st of May I was flying as Blue 2 in a section of 6 a/c engaged in a patrol in the Wittenburg - Ludwigslust area, and led by F/L Muls. At about 17.50 hrs Blue 5 reported e/a on the deck flying W just underneath us. We were at the time also flying west at 10,000 ft. Blue Leader told Blue 5 to go down and we followed him since we had not seen the aircraft. At height of about 6000 - 5000 ft we observed that there were some 20 + E/A which we immediately identified as FW 190's, flying in sections of three. I followed my No 1 as he went down on to the section on the extreme starboard side of the formation. He picked the port one of the section and I chased the starboard one as it was trying to break away starboard at tree top height. I fired a 2 second burst at a 20 degree angle off from a range of a 100 yds. I observed hits on cockpit, throttled back as I was going to overshoot, turned into line astern and gave three short bursts from about 80 yds, pieces flew off and I saw a big explosion in the cockpit, the E/A crashed into a field where it blew up. I claim this E/A destroyed. After having dealt with the first E/A (FW 190) I broke away to starboard climbing to about 300 ft when I noticed another FW 190 coming from starboard to port some 200 yds away. I turned into it and gave a short burst with a large angle deflection shot (about 45 degrees) from 200 - 150 yds. I did not observe any strikes and E/A started making a rather steep climbing turn to port. I followed it, and closed in to about 150 yds at 2,000 ft. I gave a quick burst from 25 degrees to 30 degrees off. I saw strikes on fuselage. It turned over and went straight down over Schwerin town, pulled up and started weaving at roof top height I followed it and closed in to about 120 yds and gave a 2 sec burst from line astern slightly above. I observed some more strikes on fuselage and cockpit and black smoke pouring out. As there was much flak at the time I started climbing steeply and when at 8,000 ft made for base. E/A climbed to 800 ft and pilot baled out. I claim this 2nd FW 190 also destroyed. 162

F/O P. Leva of 350 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 1 May 1945:

I was flying Blue 5 in a section of 6 aircraft led by F/L Muls, and engaged on a patrol in the WITTENBURG-LUDWIGSLUST area. At approximately 1750 hrs as we were flying West at 10,000 ft in the Schweriner lake area, I reported some aircraft also flying West at nought feet below. I went down to investigate, followed by the rest of the section. As I drew near I identified these aircraft as being FW 190s, mostly short-nosed, and flying in sections of three.
     I chose the most forward section on the extreme port side, and selected the port E/A. I overshot owing to my diving speed, and after climbing a short distance to lose the speed, I came back again behind the same E/A. When within a range of about 300 yards, I fired a half-second burst from a 10° angle deflection, without noticing any strikes. At the same time I observed that I was nearer to the middle E/A of the section, so went behind it and fired a three second burst from dead astern at a range of 150 yards. I saw two explosions, one on each side of the fuselage; the E/A then started climbing steeply to starboard and I followed; pilot of E/A jettisoned the hood, rolled his aircraft on its back and baled out from about 1000 ft. The E/A went spinning towards the ground and crashed into a wood at M/R T4569.
     I claim this FW 190 destroyed, confirmed by Blue 6 F/L Bangerter. 163

S/L J. B. Prendergast of 414 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 2 May 1945:

I was leading a section of 2 aircraft on a Tac/R mission in the Wismar – Schwerin area. I Tac/R’d the roads from Schwerin to Wismer, flew east of the town and was making a 180° turn over the harbor at 1500’ to get below some scattered cloud, when I observed two aircraft which presumably had just taken off the Wismar Airfield as they were at 800/1000 feet flying in a northerly direction and gaining height. I immediately turned into the aircraft, and recognized them as FW.190’s. I at once closed and made a stern attack on the E/A on the left. When at approximately 400 yds. I opened fire with a 3 second burst of .5 M.G. and cannon breaking off at approximately 250 yds. many strikes were seen along the E/A’s fuselage, from the pilot’s position to the engine. Pieces fell off and the E/A rolled on its back and disappeared into a cloud going straight down with a large amount of black smoke streaming from it.
      The other E/A had crossed beneath me and was being attacked by my No. 2, F/O Fuller. I saw my No. 2’s burst hitting the water and at the same time noticed an oily patch about 75 feet wide on the water and some debris in it which appeared to be parts of wreckage of the E/A which I had just attacked. This was the approximate area that the E/A would have likely gone into. The E/A being attacked by my No. 2 did a steep orbit and my No. 2 being unable to overtake it broke away. I went after this E/A which had straightened out and was heading for the shore. I made an astern attack and when at 300 yards opened fire with .5 MG and cannon using about a 5 second burst and breaking off at 150 yards, owing to pieces of the e/a hitting my aircraft – one cracking my windscreen. A large number of strikes were seen and just before the E/A hit the ground, it burst into flames.
      No evasive action was taken by the first E/A and only moderate by the second E/A, weaving and turning.
      Camouflage – light greenish grey with black crosses.
      Cine gun used and exposed in the automatic position.
      Gyro Gun Sight used.
      I claim Two (2) FW.190’s DESTROYED. 164

F/L D.I. Hall, DFC of 414 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 2 May 1945:

I was on a Tac/R mission which I was unable to complete owing to weather. I lost my No. 2 in the cloud and instructed him to return to base. I went below cloud and while flying WEST at 0’ at 1310 I sighted one FW190 flying NORTH at 50’ at 100 plus m.p.h. I broke starboard and rapidly closed on his tail. I opened fire at 250 yds using approximately 25° port deflection and closed to 100 yds. I saw strikes on the fuselage and the e/a went straight in. Immediately in front I saw another FW190 which I overtook very rapidly and obtained only a short burst, opening fire at 50 yds. I saw strikes on the a/c but was unable to observe the results due to the speed at which I passed him. A further FW190 was immediately ahead and I opened fire at 200 yds and closed to 50 yds. I saw strikes and flames and then observed port wing falling off. Once again there was another FW190 immediately in line and I opened fire at 200 yds closing to 100 yds. I saw strikes on the e/a which broke to port began to pour black smoke and broke into flame. I then broke starboard and saw 2 Me108’s flying line abreast, South, at approximately 50’. One broke starboard and one port. I closed on the one which broke starboard opening fire at 200 yds and overshot, but obtained strikes on the a/c. He continued to break starboard and I broke port and closed on the other Me108. I opened fire at 200 yds closing to 50 yds. I saw strikes and the a/c went in and exploded on the ground. The attack took place near and over NEUSTADT GLEWE Aerodrome.
Weather: - 10/10 cloud at 1000’ – Camouflage – Dark green with enemy crosses.
Cine gun used.
      I claim 3 FW190’s – destroyed
      1 Me108 - destroyed
      1 FW190 – damaged
      1 Me108 – damaged. 165

Jet Kills

F/L F.A.O. Gaze of 610 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 14 February, 1945:

On 14/2/45 I was leading Wavey Black section of two aircraft on standing patrol over NIJMEGEN. At about 1630 hours I sighted an Arado 234 pulling up from attacking the CLEVE area. I dropped my tank and attempted to intercept but despite the fact that I cut the corner it pulled away easily at 7,000 ft. After this we continually chased Arados over this area. I fired at two without result. At about 1700 hours when it was apparent that the jets were diving down through the cloud which was from 9 - 11,000 ft. I climbed up through it, leaving Black 2 below, hoping to warn him when they dived. Then I did an orbit at 13,000 ft. to clear off the ice on the windscreen and sighted 3 M.E. 262's in Vic formation passing below me at cloud top level. I dived down behind them and closed in, crossing behind the formation and attacked the port aircraft which was lagging slightly. I could not see my sight properly as we were flying straight into the sun, but fired from dead astern, at a range of 350 yards, hitting it in the starboard jet with the second burst; at which the other 2 aircraft immediately dived into cloud. It pulled up slowly and turned to starboard and I fired obtaining more strikes on fuselage and jet which caught fire. The enemy rolled over on to its back and dived through cloud. I turned 180 and dived after it, calling on the R/T to warn my no.2; on breaking cloud I saw an aircraft hit the ground and explode about a mile ahead of me, at E.9859. I claim this M.E.262 destroyed. Black 2 also witnessed this explosion. 166

F/L F.A.O. Gaze, having transferred to 41 squadron, recorded in his Combat Report for 12 April, 1945:

I was leading Red section of four aircraft on a patrol DELMONHORST - VERDEN. At about 1700 hours Red 2 sighted an aircraft which I identified as an ARADO 234 and chased, managing to drop my tank. The E/A which was flying South turned North and I cut the corner closing to 800 yds. I opened fire and got strikes on fuselage and starboard wing. I continued firing closing slowly and more strikes were followed by the starboard jet catching fire. I closed to 100 yds and broke away as the E/A flicked inverted after some wild jinking. It spun violently down flicking one way and then another and I last saw it disappear in the haze inverted at about 1,000 ft. Red 3 saw it recover at 300 ft and finished it off.
     I claim one ARADO 234 destroyed shared with F/Lt D. V. Lake. 167

F/Lt. D. J. Reid of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 2 March, 1945:

I took off from B.80 at 0702 as Blue 1 with F/Sgt Kelly as Blue 2, to patrol Nijmegan. At approx. 0735 Planet reported a Jet aircraft N.E. of Weert. I flew towards Weert in thin layers of cloud, then returned towards Nijmegen still between cloud layers. On emerging near Nijmegan saw a single aircraft about one mile in front and about 1000 ft. above. I immediately gave chase instructing my No. 2 to slow down and drop his jet tank, being unable to do so myself due to high speed. The E/A turned slightly to Starboard and continued towards the North East, weaving slightly from time to time. I kept out of the enemy pilot's view by keeping under his tail plane and slowly overhauled him at an I.A.S. of 340 m.p.h. at 8/9000 ft. Whilst astern of the E/A I was only able to say it was jet propelled and not an Me.262 (or Meteor). I closed to 100 yards or less, firing with .5 M.G. and cannon whilst still overtaking. I saw strikes on the Port wing, Port jet engine and fuselage. E/A immediately emmitted dense clouds of brownish smoke, possibly jet exhaust. I continued firing and saw flshes in the smoke, breaking away at extremely close range, and being hit in the port radiator by debris. I next saw E/A going down in a wide spiral to Starboard with white smoke or vapour pouring from holes all along the Port wing, and dark smoke from the fuselage. I could then see the long nose of the a/c and the straight tapered wings with rounded tips and identified E/A as an Arado 234. A large piece of E/A suddenly flew off, and one person baled out, parachute opening. E/A steepened its dive and crashed somewhere near Enschede, being completely destroyed by explosion. Some fire from the ground was seen at this time. I returned to patrol being rejoined by my No. 2 who witnessed the destruction of this enemy a/c.
     I claim one Arado 234 destroyed. 168

350 Squadron filed a joint Combat Report for 2 May, 1945:

P/O Watkins states: I was leading Flounder section of 6 a/c on an armed recce in the RENDSBERG area. At about 1710 hrs whilst flying at 8000 ft, I saw in the circuit of HOHN aerodrome, a jet aircraft which I identified as an Arado 234 going in to land. I dived from 8000 ft followed by the rest of the section, closed to within 50 yards behind E/A and sprayed the mainplane and side of fuselage with machine gun fire. I broke away port as I saw aircraft smoking.

F/L Bangerter states: I followed after Pink 1 and chased E/A as it was crossing aerodrome boundary at 200 ft approximately, E/A turned port away from the aerodrome with flaps and u/c down. I followed and fired cannons with a 5° angle deflection, and obtained strikes on port wing root and port engine, saw flames. I then broke port.

F/S Kicq and F/O Van Eckhoudt stated that they made simultaneous deflection attacks, saw strikes and had to break away because of overtaking speed. Five seconds later, E/A flipped on its back, port mainplane fell off, and E/A struck the ground in a ball of fire.

We claim this Arado 234 destroyed. 169

F/O Howard C. Nicholson of 402 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 13 March, 1945:

I was flying Yellow 3 on a fighter sweep in the Gladback area when I sighted a ME 262 at about 5000 feet flying South West. He did not appear to see me. I broke and fired a 3 second burst from 250 yards line astern into his starboard wing and the base of the fuselage. Smoke poured out and pieces flew off the starboard wing. I kept firing, observing many hits and the aircraft tended to fall out of control, regaining slowly. At 2000 ft. he went into a sharp dive to port but owing to the extremely heavy flak from Gladback, I broke to starboard. I did not see him crash, but this is comfirmed by the C.O. of 402 Squadron.
     I claim one ME 262 destroyed. 170

130 Squadron filed a joint Combat Report for 25 April, 1945:

F/Lt Stowe states:  I was leading Red Section and at 5000' near Lubeck Aerodrome I saw Red 5 (P/O Edwards) attacking a F.W. 190 in the circuit of the Airfield. I saw at the same time, a M.E. 262 about to land on the runway. I dived onto it and fired at a steep angle. I did not see strikes but as the E/A was half way down the runway I saw something white stream out behind the E/A.

W/O Ockenden states:  I followed Red I in and I saw him firing and saw his strikes on the Starboard wing of the E/A. I fired at it from a steep angle and just as I pressed the tit I saw a parachute streaning out behind the E/A, with the air from the slipstream filling the parachute. I could not see anymore as their was intense flak but the E/A was travelling very fast with its wheels down and as the parachute was open the pilot could not have been in control of the A/C.
We claim this E/A Probably Destroyed. 171

F/Lt. Cowell of 41 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 25 April, 1945:

I was leading Kudos Blue Section of six aircraft and had finished attacking a train near NEUMUNSTER and was orbitting with the rest of my section at 6,000 ft. prior to turning for a course for home, when I observed two ME 262's flying in line abreast, in an Easterly direction. I reported these aircraft and turned in sharply after them, as they passed over the top of me, at the same time jettisoning my long range petrol tank. The E/A were then 1-2,000 yards ahead and they opened up and dived for the deck. I followed them doing 440 mph in the dive and 400 mph on the deck and was closing slowly. The A/C were heading straight for LUBECK and obviously intended to lead us over flak area and it was obvious that we should not catch them before this happened. I then pulled up to 3,000 ft and observed the E/A making for the aerodrome south of LUBECK. The ME 262 on the starboard side did a turn to starboard and put his wheels and flaps down with the intention of doing a right hand circuit to land west to east. I was therefore able to cut him off and make a short head on attack. No results were observed. I then broke sharply to port and was able to make a 60° beam attack as he continued in his circuit. I observed strikes in the cockpit area and between the starboard nacelle and the fuselage, and a large sheet of flame issued from this point. The pilot of the E/A then landed his machine on the grass beside the runway where it slewed round to starboard and volumes of white smoke issued from it. The other machine landed on the runway in the opposite direction (W-E) and it appeared that either the starboard tyre burst, or the starboard leg collapsed for the aircraft slewed round off the runway on to the grass, dragging its starboard wing tip on the ground. Final results of the fire on the first ME 262 were not observed owing to intense light flak from the aerodrome defences.
    I claim 1 ME 262 probably destroyed and 1 ME 262 damaged. 172

This argument that the Spitfire XIV didn't see combat or was somehow irrelevant to the air war in the ETO is revisionist Wehraboo horse manure.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2021 at 10:08 PM, Mr_sukebe said:

My understanding is that when the warbirds were first being considered, the people voting for the allied planes asked for the most common, e.g. the Spit Mk9.

Unfortunately, the ones voting for the Luftwaffe, requested the best, i.e. the Dora and K4.   You can see it now when people still ask for the T152.

The right thing would have been to create a more even match off, but, we are where we are and simply have to make the best of it.

Yeeaah...no.

But nice attempt at fueling the Allied vs Axis fanboy bonfire...

Personally I always wanted to see the 109K4 & G10, Spitfire IX & XIV, Me262A1, P-51D, P-47D, P-38L, Tempest & Fw190D9 the most. Ta152H would be lovely too, as would a P-47M.

The above is my dream WW2 line up for DCS atm. After that, I'd love to see the A6M2 & 5, F4U-1 & -4, Ki-84b, N1K2J, F4F, F6F, Ki-61.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hummingbird said:

Yeeaah...no.

But nice attempt at fueling the Allied vs Axis fanboy bonfire...

Personally I always wanted to see the 109K4 & G10, Spitfire IX & XIV, Me262A1, P-51D, P-47D, P-38L, Tempest & Fw190D9 the most. Ta152H would be lovely too, as would a P-47M.

The above is my dream WW2 line up for DCS atm. After that, I'd love to see the A6M2 & 5, F4U-1 & -4, Ki-84b, N1K2J, F4F, F6F, Ki-61.

i think that you’ve just backed up my comment, as the D9 and K4 were very much NOT the most common Luftwaffe aircraft.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

59 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

i think that you’ve just backed up my comment, as the D9 and K4 were very much NOT the most common Luftwaffe aircraft.

It is almost like couple water drops in sea.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Assuming wiki data is vaguely accurate, then roughly 6% and 8% (K4 and D9) respectively.

For comparison circa 25% of Spitfire production were mk IXs.

If anything, a closer comparison is with mkXIVs, which made up something like 8% of ww2 prod.

Edited by Mr_sukebe

By late 1944/early 45 in western europe, most of the other 109's were G6/AS,G14(/AS),G10 models so performance difference was not that big after all.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Assuming wiki data is vaguely accurate, then roughly 6% and 8% (K4 and D9) respectively.

For comparison circa 25% of Spitfire production were mk IXs.

If anything, a closer comparison is with mkXIVs, which made up something like 8% of ww2 prod.

7 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

What's that supposed to tell us?

How many 109Es were flying in the Reichsverteidigung in '44 and '45?

The D-9 equipped all of JG 2 and all of JG 26 in 1945, which for most of '45 was the entirety of the Fw 190 equipped fighter-wings in the west.

• Like 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

2 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

What's that supposed to tell us?

How many 109Es were flying in the Reichsverteidigung in '44 and '45?

The D-9 equipped all of JG 2 and all of JG 26 in 1945, which for most of '45 was the entirety of the Fw 190 equipped fighter-wings in the west.

It's a reference to the fact that whilst most of the people who asked for the Spitfire, asked for a very common one, than it most certainly wasn't the case for the 109 or 190.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 8:23 AM, Mr_sukebe said:

I count 11 Wings (Gruppen) with K-4 and 6 Gruppen with D9.

And we are not even getting into counting G10s and G-14AS, which is pretty much the same thing for all practical purposes as the K4.

This is not common. Somehow. 

Yet, that single Wing (or one and a half, if you count recce variants in units mixed with Mustangs) of Mk XIV was somehow 'common'. Oh-kay. 😄

834115301_JagdwaffeTOE25March1945.jpg.af289214bb40864f60522f227d0c39cd.jpg

Edited by Kurfürst
  • Like 4

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

I do not own WWI modules in DCS but based on my very old experience on another simulator in the early-mid 2000s ( Cheers Oleg! ), isn't the K-4 supposed to have not so good elevator authority beyond 550-600 km/h and a slow roll at high speed like most 109s?  If true, then it should give some allied planes like a Mustang or a P-47 an advantage if they make sure to have enough altitude and never fall below 350mph?  MW50 is limited to a few minutes right?

Edited by Fynek

• 2 weeks later...

What's the top speed of the K4 and at what altitude? Me and my friend were flying P-47s at 29-30Kft and we could not catch the K4 at all. Based on what I've read the D-30 should be at least 435-443mph at 29,000ft (no idea if it's like this in-game) yet we could not catch the K4 no matter how much we pushed our aircraft.

Is the K4 overperforming? I've never read any charts saying the K4 was able to get 440mph at 29,000ft.

Edited by Legioneod

The Bf 109K-4 performance are "optimistic" primarily above critical altitude. Which at 29 000ft are.

At 29k ft the 109 has speed advatnage over the P-47 roughly 30kph, and over the P-51 roughly 15kph.

All planes with maximal power, without WEP, ADI or MW, this altitude is quite above critical altitude for these increased powers.

The one reason why we have these results may be coolant systems.

The 109 during flight, horizontal high speed flight, has coolant`s flaps nearly closed, but the US planes don`t. They must have the coolants flaps fully opened and still the coolant itself is nearly on the maximal value ... During horizontal high speed flight.

The 109 reaches 690 kph at 9000m (29500ft) in DCS, it should be slightly fewer ...

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

On 10/9/2021 at 12:37 PM, saburo_cz said:

The 109 reaches 690 kph at 9000m (29500ft) in DCS, it should be slightly fewer ...

Then its spot on. The Germans specs (thin continuous line) are cc. 694 kph at 9000 m for our 1,8 ata boost variant, though the papers mention that Mach correction is not present in the calculation and should amount to about cc. 5 kph correction. 

5026-27_DBSonder_MW_geschw.jpg (1864×1240) (kurfurst.org)

Edited by Kurfürst
  • Like 4

http://www.kurfurst.org - The Messerschmitt Bf 109 Performance Resource Site

Vezérünk a bátorság, Kísérőnk a szerencse!

-Motto of the RHAF 101st 'Puma' Home Air Defense Fighter Regiment

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of the K-4, the Universe, and Everything: Powerloading 550 HP / ton, 1593 having been made up to 31th March 1945, 314 K-4s were being operated in frontline service on 31 January 1945.

5 hours ago, Kurfürst said:

Then its spot on. The Germans specs (thin continuous line) are cc. 694 kph at 9000 m for our 1,8 ata boost variant, though the papers mention that Mach correction is not present in the calculation and should amount to about cc. 5 kph correction. 

5026-27_DBSonder_MW_geschw.jpg (1864×1240) (kurfurst.org)

Comon 1.8 ATA at 9000m how ? DCS K-4 is way below 1.8 at 9000m

And this speed for 9000m is w/o mw50, if you engaged it it will bring speed up a bit as well.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

1 hour ago, grafspee said:

Comon 1.8 ATA at 9000m how ? DCS K-4 is way below 1.8 at 9000m

And this speed for 9000m is w/o mw50, if you engaged it it will bring speed up a bit as well.

He didn't say 1,8ata at 9000m. He said 1,8ata VARIANT, DB605DB with B4+MW50. The calculation expects the pilot to switch off MW50 at 7,4km.  The curve shows a drop in speed when MW50 is deactivated. It is hard to tell up to what altitude MW50 would still increase the poweroutput if it was kept activated.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

1 hour ago, iFoxRomeo said:

He didn't say 1,8ata at 9000m. He said 1,8ata VARIANT, DB605DB with B4+MW50. The calculation expects the pilot to switch off MW50 at 7,4km.  The curve shows a drop in speed when MW50 is deactivated. It is hard to tell up to what altitude MW50 would still increase the poweroutput if it was kept activated.

Fox

It increases through out available alt of this plane. By turning mw50 off you increase charge temp, and speed drops, it is noticeable at 7.4 km i assume that at 7.4 km boost higher then 1.45 is available no more. 

Edited by grafspee

11 hours ago, Kurfürst said:

Then its spot on. The Germans specs (thin continuous line) are cc. 694 kph at 9000 m 

2800RPM for SonderNotleistung  vs. 2600RPM for Steig-Kampflstg. ...

So, difference between results for test with propeller 9-12199 and with 9-12159 (DCS) is 15kph in case SonderNotleistung . 

For Steig-Kampflstg will be nearly the same. 

Calculation for plane with 9-12199 propeller and 2600RPM shows 690 kph, then for 9-12159 (DCS) is 690 minus 15. At least ...

Edited by saburo_cz

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |