The Channel "Airfield Raid" instant action

gotit

Hi, I have 42 hours in the P-47 and made "Captain," although I still feel like a complete newbie.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been flying the Airfield Raid instant action mission in the Channel?

I've flown that mission probably 20 times, and it just blows my mind how *hard* it is.

Anyone else have experience with it?

The first thing is, about 2/3 of the times I fly this mission, my plane takes flak damage within the first 15 seconds.

The windshield becomes so damaged that I can hardly see anything.

The next challenge is taking out the 2 enemy aircraft before they finish taking off.

The mission puts you in the plane going 300 mph. Due to the high speed, you only have a few seconds before you're already at the airfield.

The plane is trimmed terribly, so the first thing you gotta do is trim the thing to make it flyable. Within seconds, you're already on top of the enemy planes taking off. The high speed means you only have a few seconds to target them before zooming past them. I usually try to drop airspeed by climbing quickly, immediately after trimming, so that I have more time to target the enemy planes.

The next challenge I have is, how to strafe the airfield when the enemy planes are on your tail. It's incredible how quickly they are able to get behind me.

Another issue is, I find it almost impossible to simply *find* the enemy planes in the sky, *unless* they are already shooting at me. Because they appear so tiny in the sky. This has seriously got to be the hardest computer game I've ever played!! lol

Just wondering if anyone else has any insights or tips to share.

Just looked at that mission in the Mission Editor since I don't think I have ever flow it. Yeah, whoever designed that is just evil. You get started right in the middle of a flak field of six 8.8 Flak 18's. That flipping brutal!! What I would do if you want to actually enjoy that mission is to open it in the Mission Editor and either delete two of those flak batteries. Then move the spawn point of the players plane back out away from the the airfield a bit so you can get it under control be for you get blasted out of the sky. Then save the mission under a different name so you don't overwrite the original. The other option with the flak would be to set a random flag and use it to spawn different numbers of the flak batteries. That way you never know how crazy the flak is going to be when you spawn in. 

For the spotting issue I would turn on the "Dots" option in the labels settings. This will give you a small dot on enemy units and make them easier to spot, but not be a giant sign of where they are like full labels do. It's a nice trade off until you get used to spotting in DCS. 

• 3 months later...

Tried this mission yesterday. Could survive several attacks, although never managed to destroy two vessels, and of course always ended up severely damaged. Never gave attention to the fighters, just fled to the deck and stayed there bombing and strafing. The problem is that I still haven't figured out how to make my wingman attack or do something besides flying at my side. On all instant missions the behavior is the same, even if tuned to the correct radio and everything. Also tried some free campaigns and the behavior  was the same, can select radio and talk with ATC, but selecting your fligh channel and asking anyone to do anything doesn't work?

Anyway, intense mission.