Why arent vehicles drivable past mission 2?

Hello,

after mission 2 (with exception of mission 5), NONE of the relevant vehicles in the following missions have "Player can drive" checkbox checked. This means that these missions can only be played on the F10 map. However there are some vehicles that are (mistakingly?) drivable, such as the static ZU-23 in mission 3, which are completely irrelevant to the action (you are supposed to capture a bridge 25km away....). Some other vehicles are also marked as drivable but game master only as well, so they arent accessible to the player anyway.

Why? Half of CA is controlling the vehicles. Why cant I take part in the tank battles, why should I only be able to watch them from external views? This is such a massively wasted opportunity where this campaign could shine...

But thats not all, the missions have voiceovers - except the voiceovers only be heard if you are inside vehicles - which you cant be! Unless you modify the mission in mission editor and set the checkboxes (tho you cant save them because DRM). Or have set "External view cockpit sounds" checkbox in DCS settings, but thats not mentioned anywhere in campaign description or the PDF manual. I have played through the whole campaign without hearing any voiceovers in majority of the missions...

ji.png

Edited by dorianR666
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

• 6 months later...

@dorianR666I don't have the campaign, but are there any clues in the mission notes like what the goals of each mission are to guide the player on what to do and/or expect?

I ask because based on your description, it makes me think that some of the missions might be set up to get the player to simply use/experience the different modes in Combined Arms. I am just guessing, but after reading several threads on it I am wondering whether the problem is technical, or are the mission goals just not explained well enough?

If you select Game Master, you are supposed to be able to control all the units (both sides) on the map. If you select Ground Force Commander, you are suppose to be able to control all friendly units. If you select JTAC, you can only use a single vehicle to lase targets for real players in planes after pressing the "B" key. If the missions/campaign are set up right, then you are also supposed to be able to control the units on your team from a plane if the "pilot can control vehicle" box in the "Battle Field Commanders" tab is checked.

I can do this even from the Mustang trainer on the Caucasus map.

I am actually thinking of picking up the campaign even though a lot of people seem to be having issues with it just to see. If I do and I can add anything that might help, I will post it back here for you. 

Edited by Callsign112

• 7 months later...

@dorianR666, I just got the campaign and have only opened the first mission to read all the notes and get a general impression of the map area, mission objective, available assets, and opposing force. I have to say at the onset that I am pleasantly surprised and actually impressed with the setup of the first mission.

I noticed for the first mission, the only slot available to the player is Game Master, so I'm guessing mission 1 is all about learning what that slot does. As you already discovered, out of all the grouped units, the player can take direct control of a group of T72's, T55's, and a group of AA I think. All other groups are meant to be controlled by the Game Master via way points, except for a couple groups of IFV's and the infantry units being dropped onto the objective by helicopter. But as a Game Master, I should also be able to control/possibly drive the enemy units as well when they arrive, or at least see where they are on the map. I think an important start to this mission though is going to be directing the Artillery and AA into position for the coming battle.

But to give a possible answer to your question "why", my first impression albeit from a very early stag in the campaign is that it is meant to introduce the concept and features of Combined Arms.

I don't know if you tried it, but were you able to control any enemy units? As a CA mission designer, you could for example have it setup so that the Game Master can interact with enemy units to make it easier/harder for your own units to attack/defend.

And I will have to see when I get there, but to stress the point I'm trying to make, take your description of mission 3 as the example. The purpose might be to have the player/commander protect his ground forces from an air attack. Being that the bridge is 25 km away that might not make sense, but I am expecting that learning the Game Master/Tactical Commander slots are going to be a big part of what the Campaign is all about. So it wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of command type vehicles as the only option available to the player. After looking closely at the layout of mission 1, the feeling I get is that the player is supposed either play as the platoon commander of an armored unit, or the Tactical commander on the field.