Sniper XR for the Viper?

Gimonz

As the title says, I wonder if we are going to get Sniper XR TGP for the Viper. As far as I know it's been planned but lately on some FB group I read that it's been removed from the roadmap. Irl f-16s block 50 started getting their Sniper pods in 2007 and ED says that that's exactly the era that they're aiming for with this module. Does anybody have any info on this matter or is it still a mystery?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Bunny Clark said:

Current planned feature list is here: 

This is highly inaccurate. A lot of the stuff in the "Product Sustainment" section have been already introduced, but F-16 is still in the EA phase. 

Sniper XR was in the list, but somehow ED removed it quietly. 

Additionally, the list was last edited by Wags on July 24, 2020. In the F-16C Viper roadmap posted by ED on Aug 14, 2020 however, Sniper XR was in the list. (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/2020-08-14/). So I think and hope we will get Sniper XR on our Viper. 

+1 I would like to get a confirmation from ED whether Sniper XR will be coming for the DCS F-16. 

Edited by SCPanda
  • Like 1

It has been on and off the planned features a few times, I think it's more related to whether or not it's feasible or not.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Well it's still relatively new piece of equipement so the data might still be clasified I guess... on the other hand Hornet is getting ATFLIR so lets keep our hopes up, would be really nice if ED clarified it though.

You can typically find more information on the displays of ATFLIR rather than Sniper XR (at least last time I checked), there's a fair few videos of it too. There seems to be less for Sniper XR.

The F-16 we have is definitely compatible with it, according to this (we have an M4.2/M4.3 aircraft and Sniper XR came on M4.1) - I think the A-10C II should also have it.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

14 minutes ago, Sinclair_76 said:

As I understand it the JSOW-B was a US Navy only model. After testing it was shit canned. So it follows we won't be able to use it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-154_Joint_Standoff_Weapon

You are right except the AGM-154B was a airforce only project. The navy didn’t get involved in this variant.

But this is my understanding from a little research so I could be completely incorrect here.

I found a old post showing the AGM-154B as a planned loadout

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/brh3i7/agm154a_and_agm154b_jsow_are_back_f16/

Edited by Blinky.ben

AFAIK AGM-154B never entered service and was cancelled.

System:

9 minutes ago, Blinky.ben said:

Damn...... would have been awesome

I guess so, even then I question the ability of a stand-off cluster bomb that can't be retargeted in flight, and wasn't set-up to engage moving targets. It's not so bad when it's on essentially a free fall bomb - the travel time is less, and it's over the target. 

I don't know it just seems to me, that even with what is essentially a winged CBU-97 there's more potential to just completely miss the column you're after, especially given that it might take a fair amount of time from launch to function.

System:

14 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

I guess so, even then I question the ability of a stand-off cluster bomb that can't be retargeted in flight, and wasn't set-up to engage moving targets. It's not so bad when it's on essentially a free fall bomb - the travel time is less, and it's over the target. 

I don't know it just seems to me, that even with what is essentially a winged CBU-97 there's more potential to just completely miss the column you're after, especially given that it might take a fair amount of time from launch to function.

I imagine it's more useful for DEAD than regular ground vehicles.

Edited by Zeroskills

9 hours ago, Zeroskills said:

I imagine it's more useful for DEAD than regular ground vehicles.

Even so, the AGM-154A is probably more than useful enough - the BLU-108 and its associated skeet were kinda more designed to take it tanks - given that they use EFPs to kill vehicles.

Not saying it can't defeat unarmoured stuff - it definitely can - it just seems that it's a more expensive way of achieving basically the same thing; given that the overwhelming majority of air defence units are basically unarmoured.

System:

Even so, the AGM-154A is probably more than useful enough - the BLU-108 and its associated skeet were kinda more designed to take it tanks - given that they use EFPs to kill vehicles.

Not saying it can't defeat unarmoured stuff - it definitely can - it just seems that it's a more expensive way of achieving basically the same thing; given that the overwhelming majority of air defence units are basically unarmoured.
Also self propelled artillery batteries are a viable target. Many modern models have decent armor.
However A model is already good, just need ED to implement fragmentation damage model!

Sent from my MI 10 Lite 5G using Tapatalk

Just now, Rubberduck85 said:

Also self propelled artillery batteries are a viable target. Many modern models have decent armor.

Meh, I'm not seeing anything particularly spectacular on their armour, the BLU-97 combined effects submunition should have enough RHAe penetration to go through the majority of armoured vehicles, so long as they don't feature additional roof protection (which mostly seems like tanks).

The skeets from the BLU-108 seem to have a few hundred mm of RHAe penetration, which might even be defeated by ERA present on the tops of turrets present on the majority of Soviet/Russian MBTs from the 80s onwards.

Engine decks and any other vehicle however are easy pickings however. 

Just now, Rubberduck85 said:

However A model is already good, just need ED to implement fragmentation damage model!

Absolutely.

System:

Not spectacular but maybe more than a BRDM from the 60's.
Also SP guns are more spread out when they are set to shoot, the semi-intelligent skeet sensor could find them and allows to use fewer (more expensive) ammo to do the job instead of carpeting a square kilometer of terrain.

Sent from my MI 10 Lite 5G using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...