Is Viggen for me?

MIghtymoo

I like old school jets like the F-5E. Love flying, piloting and flipping switches, and not all the system management as in the A-10C II.

Do you think the Viggen would be a good fit for me?

Appreciate any feedback form Viggen pilots.

• Like 2

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

It's a mixed bag
You do have a complex on board computer (CK37), which demands some attention before flight, and a lot more depending on which weapon you want to employ.
If you want the simplicity of selecting a weapon and pressing the trigger to fire it, you can forget it. The weapon selection itself can be confusing at times, not to mention the fact that many weapons cannot be taken simultaneously.

When it comes to flying, it's a very manual machine, only having autopilot modes for attitude, altitude and landing modes. Otherwise, it absolutely needs elevator trim, and flies a lot like other planes from the era, but with more speeeed
Oh, and yeah. It will absolutely rip the wings if you pull too much G (sudden 9+, gradual 10+)

You can basically outrun anything you want on the deck, with a clean plane, or light stores.

System management is another story. It's not as intensive as the A-10C, but it's a lot more than the F-5.
At the very least, you have to enter the cartridge load code (9099) in the correct computer mode.
It's very confusing at 1st, but once you get used to it, it's not that difficult.
It gives you many options, but the CK37 input interface scares many people.

I highly recommend you look into the viggen weapon capabilities, as well as the CK-37 input codes and usage before making your decision

Addendum: The missions the viggen can execute are limited. It's a platform made for a quick precision strike. Get in, drop everything, and get out. It's not meant to loiter around the frontline, taking out dozens of tanks , like the A-10, it's meant for attacking quickly, flying along a pre-planned route, and giving the enemy a 10 second window to react, and then skeddadeling like mad.
It can also do CAP in a cold war setting, with 6x AIM-9 missiles

Cheers!

Edited by BonerCat
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

It took me a while to learn how to operate the weapon systems.  Then it took some practice to develop the flying skill to effectively employ the bombs using the bombsight.  It takes more flying skill than the A-10 or F-16 to employ weapons accurately because it has only unguided bombs and generally no CCIP mode (only for very specific situations).  But once I developed the skills and muscle memory, it became very gratifying to deploy weapons. 

The the low level high speed flying (25 m altitude, Mach 0.9 typical) is a blast. 

Edited by Machalot
  • Like 3

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Old school jet: check

Even though the AJS variant came out in the 90s, most of its systems date back to the 60s.

Flipping switches: check

The Viggen is an open love letter to switches, buttons and knobs. I still haven't used my keyboard to interact with the data panel: I click!

No A-10C like system management: check

In the Viggen, you have a LOT to play with. However, you don't need to learn all systems right away to enjoy the aircraft:

Start using Rb04, Sidewinder (Rb24/24J/74), Rb05 and Maverick (Rb75).

Then learn about QFE and start playing with rockets, bombs, and the cannon pods.

Have fun with the illumination bombs procedure.

Mess with the ground radar and position fixes.

And then at last, use Bk90 and Rb15 in all their glory.

• Like 6

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

9 hours ago, MIghtymoo said:

Do you think the Viggen would be a good fit for me?

I enjoyed the Viggen a lot, but keep in mind that I'm more of a Single Player kind of guy, so if your idea of fun is go on-line and rack-up lots of kills then it probably would not be a good fit for you.

May I suggest that you watch a few videos to see by yourself how it is operated and if it would be something you would enjoy .. one of the best is this one by Matt Wagner himself:

• Like 4

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

15 hours ago, Machalot said:

because it has only unguided bombs

This is not true. It does have precision guided air to ground weapons:

RB-05: Radio guided air to ground missile.

RB-04: Radar guided anti ship missile.

RBS-15: Radar and INS guided anti ship missile.

RB-75: American AGM-65 Maverick TV guided air to ground missile.

BK-90: INS guided glide bomb.

This is in addition to unguided guns, rockets and bombs.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 3

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

7 hours ago, QuiGon said:

This is not true. It does have precision guided air to ground weapons:

RB-05: Radio guided air to ground missile.

RB-04: Radar guided anti ship missile.

RBS-15: Radar and INS guided anti ship missile.

RB-75: American AGM-65 Maverick TV guided air to ground missile.

BK-90: INS guided glide bomb.

This is in addition to unguided guns, rockets and bombs.

Good to clarify. What I meant, but wrote ambiguously, was the only types of true bombs it has are unguided M71s (BK90 is a munitions dispenser), without the laser or INS/GPS guidance available in other jets -- no equivalent for GBUs.  So employing bombs requires flying skill. 

Not to say it lacks other types of guided weapons. 

Edited by Machalot
  • Like 3

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

50 minutes ago, Machalot said:

Good to clarify. What I meant, but wrote ambiguously, was the only types of true bombs it has are unguided M71s (BK90 is a munitions dispenser), without the laser or INS/GPS guidance available in other jets -- no equivalent for GBUs.  So employing bombs requires flying skill. 

Not to say it lacks other types of guided weapons.

Oh, alright then. Yeah, it does indeed not have any GBU equivalents (laser/INS guided iron bombs) :thumbup:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 minute ago, QuiGon said:

Oh, alright then. Yeah, it doesn indeed not have any GBU equivalents :thumbup:

Sorry, that was just poor writing on my part.

8 hours ago, Katj said:

About trim, just push attitude hold for half a second and it'll trim right out on its own. It's really not an issue.

True, but it does get hairy when the jet noses down at transonic speeds and you're egressing after a strike at 10m AGL looking for AA and SAMs around you 😛

Honestly I think the best summary of the Viggen is - do you like airquake and online dogfighting? If yes, it's not really the module for you unless you want a challenge. Do you like air to ground missions, and especially single player? If yes, then the Viggen is VERY much for you. It comes with excellent SP content, and there's lots more in the users section.

And to just note those that say "the Viggen can't perform CAS because it's not an A-10" - that option is definitely there in the same way that it's there for anything that isn't an A-10. The Viggen carries the same amount of Mavericks as a Hornet (or a Viper with a non Hoggit loadout) after all, and the RB-05/gunpod loadout is decent too. Obviously it doesn't have all the goodies of a 4th gen US jet, but it's a better CAS jet than an F-5 or Mirage imo.

ps most rocket/bomb/gunpod delivery modes do not require QFE settings contrary to popular belief, because the Viggen preforms radar ranging automatically. Off the top of my head, only the NAV/Radar and high drag/CCIP bombing modes need QFE to be accurate.

Edited by TLTeo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TLTeo said:

ps most rocket/bomb/gunpod delivery modes do not require QFE settings contrary to popular belief, because the Viggen preforms radar ranging automatically. Off the top of my head, only the NAV/Radar and high drag/CCIP bombing modes need QFE to be accurate.

In my testing while radar ranging helps, you do need to be in the right ballpark QFE setting. Or else you end up with the targeting symbology way off the actual impact poing, or maybe not even on the HUD. At least as it's currently implemented in DCS.

But I do agree that people do sometimes seem to focus too much on the "need QFE and plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanning" side of things. and completely forgets about things like carrying 4 mavs, or mavs + gunpods.

Edited by LazyBoot
  • Like 1

I love the Viggen, but it is not for everyone. I don't fly it all the time, but when I do, I fly it exclusively for a while to regain proficiency with every weapon and system. Whereas the F-5 is just a supersonic F-86, which was a transonic P-51: I can jump between all of those aircraft and fully employ them with little practice or refresher time.

A dedicated sim pit with all the of the Viggen's unique controls and cockpit arrangement would make it a lot more fun to fly.

For reference: I don't really like to fly air-to-ground missions. I much prefer WVR ACM. Yet, I still love the Viggen. Of course, as an air-to-air fan, I would rather have the JA-37 or the J-35. But there was no way I was going to pass up the chance to fly the Viggen just because it is the AJS-37 attack variant.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

I love flying the viggen both online and offline. Its different among most planes in dcs in that you have to have an objective and know how to accomplish it before you actually take off instead of flying mindlessly towards a waypoint firing up a tgp and dropping gbus somewhere. That said i dont remember any settings by heart because there's this:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3126659/

I love the viggen's unique approach to doing things and flying it is a blast. I think its by far the most capable and fun of all the cold war era jets in the sim. Flying it down low and blazing fast is probably one of the top 3 things in this sim for me.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, dimitrischal said:

Flying it down low and blazing fast is probably one of the top 3 things in this sim for me.

I'll just add, it has the closest thing we get to a terrain following radar in DCS.  And the HUD symbology combined with the radar altimeter is designed to aid the pilot in high speed, low level flying, being almost entirely geometric with ground-referenced markers and almost no text or numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the best way to immerse yourself in old technologies and the limitations they carried. All these buttons, switches, radar ... The module is made with love and he (Viggen) is controlled (I mean the pleasure of piloting) no worse than many modern aircraft. Viggen is made in an unusual, but very original way. I advise you to watch documentaries about him, after which I could no longer deny myself a purchase, which I rejoice every time I aim with mavericks or drop bombs)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I created this thread 13 months ago and last week I (finally) got the Viggen 😎
Guess the big update on the Viggen recently made the module extra interesting to check out.

So far I have been reading, watching videos and mapping buttons. Had a few simple flights so far and really looking forward to Easter and give full attention to this exciting module.

Low, fast, ground attack and pop-up points is refreshing after TGPs and loitering for "too many" flights 😉

The tips in the thread above are valuable to me when getting going. Thanks! 

SK37 Viggen plakat av Peter Brauns - Printler

Edited by MIghtymoo
  • Like 3

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

4 hours ago, MIghtymoo said:

I created this thread 13 months ago and last week I (finally) got the Viggen 😎
Guess the big update on the Viggen recently made the module extra interesting to check out.

So far I have been reading, watching videos and mapping buttons. Had a few simple flights so far and really looking forward to Easter and give full attention to this exciting module.

Low, fast, ground attack and pop-up points is refreshing after TGPs and loitering for "too many" flights 😉

The tips in the thread above are valuable to me when getting going. Thanks! 

SK37 Viggen plakat av Peter Brauns - Printler

That's great to hear! :thumbup:

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yesterday I noticed that a new entry.lua was added for the suspension, which makes take-offs much more "smoother" and "reliable" / "predictable".
This topic was discussed years ago, and I remember having RagnarDa scratching his head about this (my) "issue".

The guys at HB still are increasing the quality of this model. Not in the tempo I personally wished, but they indeed do!
This, and 1 million other small things make this module/aircraft so exciting, and still, after 5 years of flying it, it is a joy to ride each and every single flight.

I am convinced that you learn a lot about the aircraft, and have fun flying against other cold-war era jets.
And even in modern environments, this aircraft is a blast when it comes to destruction of ships.
Recently, I saw a youtube video of a "6-ship" of Viggens flying above water ... man, that's got something! 🙂
If HB eventually fix the hitbox problem of the Rb-04 (currently it is an indestructable weapon), it would be a bit more realistic, but things take time obviously ...

Have fun! :joystick:

• Like 2

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

16 minutes ago, TOViper said:

Yesterday I noticed that a new entry.lua was added for the suspension, which makes take-offs much more "smoother" and "reliable" / "predictable".
This topic was discussed years ago, and I remember having RagnarDa scratching his head about this (my) "issue".

The guys at HB still are increasing the quality of this model. Not in the tempo I personally wished, but they indeed do!

Credit where credit's due @MYSE1234 :thumbup:

Edited by QuiGon
  • Thanks 1

Tornado3 small.jpg