Extensive VR bug + my research around it. F10 + other view changes kicks you out of VR

Loki 1-1

5 hours ago, Sr. said:

I have had this happen a few times on my G2, but only if/when I start the necessary apps out of "order".

Correct way: Start WMR for Steam VR (which then launches SteamVR) then start DCS. If I simply launch DCS first, the WMR and SteamVr apps will launch, but one or the other will crash me back to the WMR portal with DCS Still running on desktop and no way to get back in to it short of end tasking DCS and relaunching DCS.

Thanks, I will try launching my apps in different orders and see if that affects the issue.

6 hours ago, Sr. said:

I have had this happen a few times on my G2, but only if/when I start the necessary apps out of "order".

Correct way: Start WMR for Steam VR (which then launches SteamVR) then start DCS. If I simply launch DCS first, the WMR and SteamVr apps will launch, but one or the other will crash me back to the WMR portal with DCS Still running on desktop and no way to get back in to it short of end tasking DCS and relaunching DCS.

This is a different issue from the one described in this thread.

• Like 1

Just to add that I am also having this issue.

Specs: i9-9900K, 32GB, Nv2080 Win10 latest, Reverb G1.

Things I've tried:

- Updating from Nvidia driver 457.30 (which works pretty sweet on a 2080 still) to 465.39. Cleared DCS shader cache.

- Verified all files in DCS Open Beta using 'slow verify', plus removed all mods.

- Tried SteamVR latest beta and non-beta. Also WMR for SteamVR beta and non-beta. Fresh installs and reset settings.

- Tried a SteamVR build from 13 months ago (v1.10.32) and SteamVR public branch for v1.15.12, both crash the same.

- Checked process priority of vrcompositor etc not set from defaults.

- Set manual Windows page file to 64GB over the 32GB RAM.

- Turned off any CPU, GPU and memory overclocks. Prime95 stress tested with no errors for 1 hour.

- Turned off USB Power Mgnt sleep mode.

- Exceptions for virus checked folders for DCS installs and Saved Games\DCS.

- Disabled DCS Write log (tried on or off).

- Tried DCS non Open beta and Open Beta versions.

- Has crashed the same on the Caucasus map, so not just Syria. Can take about 10 mins longer or so.

- Tried SteamVR at 50%, 100% and 150% render resolutions with PD set to combinations of 0.5 and 1.0 - the only delay being how long it takes to crash.

- I get the VR 'SteamVR has encountered a critical error' in both SP and MP, it just happens quick (sub 15 minutes) in the latter.

- Crushed an eye of newt and revolved around three times, finishing facing East.

My steps to recreate aren't exact, even though it would be great if they were (as I understand this is tricky to track down for QA):

- Free Flight Syria, F/A-18C. Fly for 5 minutes.

- Go Multiplayer and join any Syria map.

- Sit in the cockpit, play with the map for 15 minutes.

'SteamVR has encountered a critical error'.

The Windows app event log will contain an entry for a fault of a Buffer Overflow Exception (BEX64) in vrserver.exe as per the info in here:

https://gist.github.com/fearlessfrog/c26f21fc62c6d0d52105ce8a8cedf1e2

DCS carries on happily at about 5 FPS, the headset goes black and recovers to the WMR home. There is no DCS log entry made for the crash.

No other SteamVR issues on any other VR games I play on this system, just DCS causes the issue as far as I can tell.

I've also logged the bug with Steam here (although got to be realistic about them helping on this, or anything really😞

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/3/3172198151252196351/

I guess at this point it's worth just waiting to see if DCS 2.x upcoming helps, but wanted to say if there is anyone on the test or QA teams that wants to investigate further than I'm happy to do anything I can to provide more info.

Without stability it sort of makes the game very hard to play, so quite a serious issue for those that get it.

• Like 2

Just to follow up on this I have some success fixing it (or at least I believe, after playing for an hour it now seems ok after days of crashes).

I had to uninstall, clean out and install Steam again. As in, no files left behind at all and a fresh Steam client installation (for me on another drive).

I've left the SteamVR settings all as defaults (which has defaulted back to the resolution I was using at 'Custom' before) and am using the non-beta versions of SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR. Speculation on what was causing vrserver.exe to crash with DCS like that:

- Some previous SteamVR dashboard plugin from an earlier version causing an issue. I've had fpsVR, Virtual Desktop, Advanced Settings overlays installed before so perhaps that caused an issue that showed itself with DCS? I'm going to leave them uninstalled for now, but perhaps some historical issue that won't come back on a fresh install of those?

- I will eventually re-enable motion reprojection (via WMR), but for now it's off. I don't think it is the reason but basically don't want to now touch it while it's working.

- Some sort of file corruption, perhaps from a bad disk sector? I had certainly re-installed SteamVR before enough times so whatever it was it needed Steam completely uninstalled and re-installed.

Hope that helps others who had this issue.

On 4/11/2021 at 4:53 AM, fearlessfrog said:

Just to follow up on this I have some success fixing it (or at least I believe, after playing for an hour it now seems ok after days of crashes).

I had to uninstall, clean out and install Steam again. As in, no files left behind at all and a fresh Steam client installation (for me on another drive).

I've left the SteamVR settings all as defaults (which has defaulted back to the resolution I was using at 'Custom' before) and am using the non-beta versions of SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR. Speculation on what was causing vrserver.exe to crash with DCS like that:

- Some previous SteamVR dashboard plugin from an earlier version causing an issue. I've had fpsVR, Virtual Desktop, Advanced Settings overlays installed before so perhaps that caused an issue that showed itself with DCS? I'm going to leave them uninstalled for now, but perhaps some historical issue that won't come back on a fresh install of those?

- I will eventually re-enable motion reprojection (via WMR), but for now it's off. I don't think it is the reason but basically don't want to now touch it while it's working.

- Some sort of file corruption, perhaps from a bad disk sector? I had certainly re-installed SteamVR before enough times so whatever it was it needed Steam completely uninstalled and re-installed.

Hope that helps others who had this issue.

Thank you for the update, I will have to try this. If the "chrashes" keep happening please update us so we know. 🙂

• Like 1

I think I can recreate it without reinstalling Steam. Reinstalling Steam didn't fix it, it was more the settings going back to default. It seems like for me and my system, I can reliably recreate the issue by turning VR reprojection on. I've put the full steps to recreate here (I did try to post this here but had issues with images/text mixing and couldn't figure it out quickly):

https://forums.mudspike.com/t/dcs-vr-steamvr-has-encountered-a-critical-error-solved/12314/67?u=fearlessfrog

(this is a bit of a dupe with here, but put here as well for completeness: 

• 2 weeks later...

I get this exactly as per original poster, both before and after 2.7 update. Worst offender is multiplayer on Syria map, where repeated F2, F6 to follow a missile, or F10 is almost guaranteed to cause it. Only remedy I've found is to turn down terrain textures and PD/steam SS. I get kicked to WMR failure (4 white balls on VR) and DCS still running at 5 fps on monitor, sometime still responding to position of the VR set. Restarting WMR is required.

2080 Super, G2, 32gb ram. I'm fairly sure its VRAM related. 

5 hours ago, ldnz said:

I get this exactly as per original poster, both before and after 2.7 update. Worst offender is multiplayer on Syria map, where repeated F2, F6 to follow a missile, or F10 is almost guaranteed to cause it. Only remedy I've found is to turn down terrain textures and PD/steam SS. I get kicked to WMR failure (4 white balls on VR) and DCS still running at 5 fps on monitor, sometime still responding to position of the VR set. Restarting WMR is required.

2080 Super, G2, 32gb ram. I'm fairly sure its VRAM related. 

Im getting this in every single game now. Always multiplayer. In most maps, Today it was Persian Gulf.

I know its coming too. I check F10- game takes a dump- Rolls 5-10FPS.. Then i play the waiting game. Could be my next F10, could be my 60th F10, When the DCS fairy comes, she boots me off the link, and right back to my 'Oculus Home', Then the game knows im in the Oculus, as on my monitor i can see my mirror move and look around the cockpit, but im still waiting in the headset.

All i can do is quit to desktop.
I have a track but its 105 MB..
This update is proving to be very difficult indeed.

Edited by StevanJ

I have huge FPS drops opening the F10 map on Syria and scrolling out to display the full map, it seems like the F10 map uses a ton of VRAM, I'm seeing spikes of 600-800MB going into Shared GPU Memory (this is bad)!

This only happens on the Syria map and it seems as though something is going wrong here. 

I have a 3070 with 8GB of VRAM and DCS in VR demands all of it. I can tune my resolution and settings so that I sit at about 7.8GB of VRAM, but If I open task manager and watch my VRAM and Shared GPU Memory when opening F10, I see the jump in Shared GPU memory and then when I switch back to the cockpit all of the ground textures have to reload in from low LOD textures, so the F10 map by itself is basically forcing my GPU to have to unload terrain textures in order to display the map. Clearly something is wrong.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Me to, me to. I don't even get past DCS's splash screen before SteamVR dies from a "critical error". DCS continues to load but like all the others...the HMD is a black screen.
I've run Window system file checker and it found a few files that needed to be replaced. I've unistalled and reinstalled SteamVR. I've run DCS repair a dozen times but nothing helps any more.  

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

12 hours ago, RackMonkey said:

Me to, me to. I don't even get past DCS's splash screen before SteamVR dies from a "critical error". DCS continues to load but like all the others...the HMD is a black screen.
I've run Window system file checker and it found a few files that needed to be replaced. I've unistalled and reinstalled SteamVR. I've run DCS repair a dozen times but nothing helps any more.  

In my case the solution was a replacement cable for my G1. It was losing connection regularly causing SteamVR to crash. However, I also had some other crashes which appeared related to WMR for SteamVR beta so I opted out. Since the two things it seems to be fixed.

Edited to add:

WMR for SteamVR beta was recently updated and included:

Fixes a crash due to a race condition with game titles during their startup.

note it should say rare. So maybe this will fix the startup issue mentioned above?

Edited again to add: No, opted in to beta, crashed a couple of minutes into DCS!

Edited by Baldrick33

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Expanded on you advice and got rid of both beta versions of StreamVR and WMR. Flew all day on a server with 15 blue pilots and an unknown number of red's with out a crash. It may not be the fix for all but it worked for me.

Now if I could just find a 3090 that won't cost me my first child.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

Piling on, but thanks. Dropped both betas and have two nights of flying without a Steam VR crash, and everything has been running smooth at relatively high settings, basically @speedofheat’s 3090 settings, on the Syria map. I was ready to give up, I was getting crashes every 5 minutes and stuttering any time I pushed the settings. 

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

• 8 months later...

Had same issue with my Quest 2,  setting textures to medium and terrain textures to low solved it for me.  Especially the Apache and viper would cause this in Syria.

1080ti

32gb ram

8700k 4.9ghz 

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

• 2 months later...