Necksafer

skunk160

Tested and works perfectly, I can finally see my Tomcat sweep its wings and not in the mirror!

only downside is I have to run in steamVR

But if snap view could be made to work in VR it would be most excellent!

skunk160 | Win10 PRO 64bit | i7-4770K 3.50 GHz | 32GB DDR3/1866MHz | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 x2 | Oculus Rift S | Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 | Virpil F-14B grip | Virpil 200m Curved Extension | PointCTRL | Delta Sim TM Slew | Sim Bandit AHCP | MFG Crosswind Pedals | //FOX2 Switch Boxes | RECARO SPG Seat | AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Transducer x2

//FOXTWO Multi-Role Combat Pit Build http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134745

5 minutes ago, skunk160 said:

only downside is I have to run in steamVR

Sorry that this is off topic but I see this idea of not running Steam VR, but still playing DCS in VR mentioned periodically, and though I've tried some Google searches I haven't found anything. Do you have a pointer to where you learned how to do it?

SYS : RYZEN 9 5950X + Crosshair VIII Hero + RTX 3090 FE 32GB + TridentZ NEO 32GB 3600MHz + FireCuda 520 1TB

VR Pimax 8KX : DCS 1.0, VR, Steam 100% (3148x3160), FOV 120 degrees || Quest2 || Index || Reverb G2

SIM : DCS || Star Wars Squadrons || Rise of Flight || IL2 Battle of Stalingrad || Elite Dangerous || Star Citizen

DCS: Textures & Terrain High, Water & Vis Medium, Heat Blur Low, Shadows Medium, MSAA 2x, DoF OFF, Lens Flare Only, Motion Blur Off, SSAA & SSLR Off, Clutter 170, Trees 66%, Smoke 0, Anisotropic 2x, Terrain Shadows Flat, Cockpit Global Illumination On

PIT : VKB Gunfighter base + VKB F14 grip || VKB Kosima grip + Virpl TC50 CM3 throttle + Logitch G pedals + Pimax Leap Motion hand tracking + SimShaker feedback

I had to modify my DCS VR short cut to run DCS in steamvr   --force_enable_VR  --force_steam_VR I dont think I need --force_enable_VR  as well but ive not tried without that yet

before that its was Oculus Tray Tool  and Oculus only

skunk160 | Win10 PRO 64bit | i7-4770K 3.50 GHz | 32GB DDR3/1866MHz | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 x2 | Oculus Rift S | Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 | Virpil F-14B grip | Virpil 200m Curved Extension | PointCTRL | Delta Sim TM Slew | Sim Bandit AHCP | MFG Crosswind Pedals | //FOX2 Switch Boxes | RECARO SPG Seat | AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Transducer x2

//FOXTWO Multi-Role Combat Pit Build http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=134745

Oh I see, when in Oculus mode it didn't start before. Thanks!

SYS : RYZEN 9 5950X + Crosshair VIII Hero + RTX 3090 FE 32GB + TridentZ NEO 32GB 3600MHz + FireCuda 520 1TB

VR Pimax 8KX : DCS 1.0, VR, Steam 100% (3148x3160), FOV 120 degrees || Quest2 || Index || Reverb G2

SIM : DCS || Star Wars Squadrons || Rise of Flight || IL2 Battle of Stalingrad || Elite Dangerous || Star Citizen

DCS: Textures & Terrain High, Water & Vis Medium, Heat Blur Low, Shadows Medium, MSAA 2x, DoF OFF, Lens Flare Only, Motion Blur Off, SSAA & SSLR Off, Clutter 170, Trees 66%, Smoke 0, Anisotropic 2x, Terrain Shadows Flat, Cockpit Global Illumination On

PIT : VKB Gunfighter base + VKB F14 grip || VKB Kosima grip + Virpl TC50 CM3 throttle + Logitch G pedals + Pimax Leap Motion hand tracking + SimShaker feedback

On 3/3/2021 at 9:36 PM, nobuttons said:

Oh I see, when in Oculus mode it didn't start before. Thanks!

Yeah, I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong - have the rift, standalone DCS beta, Necksafer starts steamVR, but I can't seem to get the autorotation to trigger. Tips?

On 3/3/2021 at 9:08 PM, skunk160 said:

I had to modify my DCS VR short cut to run DCS in steamvr   --force_enable_VR  --force_steam_VR I dont think I need --force_enable_VR  as well but ive not tried without that yet

before that its was Oculus Tray Tool  and Oculus only

So I have the Rift, and whenever I launch DCS standalone, VRnecksafer doesn't seem to recognise the window (either in Oculus home, nor DCS). In the SteamVR menu, I see necksafer working. Added the lines to force steamVR in a DCS shortcut (which it appears you need to have running for Necksafer to work), but I get the steam AND oculus overlays over DCS. Any easy way to minimise these or can I only do it with the controller?

What is Necksafer?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

On 3/10/2021 at 8:42 PM, DerekSpeare said:

What is Necksafer?

It’s a standalone program that allows you to assign 2 buttons on you joystick, which enables 2 snap views over each shoulder. The angle is customizable and you can also slew instead of snap, simply helps when you VR gives you a very limited behind view

• Like 1

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

• 2 months later...

Maybe I'm just a stick in the mud, but isn't part of the VR experience feeling like you are in the cockpit? For me having to twist around to see behing you is part of the whole "immersion" thing.

Edited by Hartsblade
Typo

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2021 at 1:10 PM, Hartsblade said:

Maybe I'm just a stick in the mud, but isn't part of the VR experience feeling like you are in the cockpit? For me having to twist around to see behing you is part of the whole "immersion" thing.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be curt, but as someone who has one level of cervical fusion I'm happy to sacrifice realism in this case. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just tried this out... it’s pretty badass. I just set it to auto with only one step. At 120° my view snaps 35° further aft and returns to normal at 50°. I have one button to hold that snap if I need to. I think this was implemented the best possible way it could be in VR. Not jarring or motion sickness inducing in any way for me. 

Only tried it for a short 5 minute mission where I have an ace spitfire on the tail of my BF-109. With cockpit limitations coming (I’m guessing) this will be handy. Not that I mind the 1:1 but I’m old and have to twist my whole body to check six. To do this I have to lean a bit which often puts me slightly outside the canopy in warbirds. With this app I set my view to snap back at the limit of my neck rotation where normally I have to start twisting/ leaning to get any further. Works awesome!!

• Like 2

ASUS ROG G701VI-XS72K 17.3" - i7 7820HK - GTX 1080 8GB - 32 GB 2666mhz - 512 GB SSD - Win10 Pro 64-Bit - T̶r̶a̶c̶k̶I̶R̶5̶ - Samsung Odyssey HMD!! (Amazing!!) - X56 Rhino HOTAS

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, USA_Recon said:

All these post but no links - does it work with G2 ?

It works fine with G2, I use it all the time. Info here:

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

Guys, be sure to use version "v02exp", the best version so far imho. Makes transitioning from turning to the accelerated backwards-view smooth as butter and almost seamless, i.e. no more "snapping" which, for example, makes it much more easy when you are tracking a target in a dogfight.

Link: https://gitlab.com/NobiWan/vrnecksafer/-/blob/master/VRNeckSafer/Release/VRNeckSaferv02exp.zip

Cudos to Norbert for coding this masterpiece addon.

Cheers

• Like 1

Core i9 12900KF | ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 64GB DDR5 5200MHz | 3 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | MSI MAG 322CQR 32´ | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Throttle | Thrusmaster T-Pendular Rudder | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 11

Wrt experimental 'v02exp' I noticed 2 things

• it would only work in 'auto' mode and then display 'standing' ─ and not with 'fixed seating' mode that I was used to enable in v2.08.
  • it worked fine in StreamVR Home and IL-2, but in DCS it set me high above the cockpit (resp. in Hangar above the menu). That centered only for the fraction of a second. If I remember well, I've come across that issue in some other thread before.

Need more testing to decide whether I keep to it or go back to snapping mode. For me it's not (yet) an absolute 'better'. For newbies it's certainly easier to set up.
However I hope the author keeps both version alive! 👍👏

On 10/14/2021 at 9:41 AM, jonass1 said:

Guys, be sure to use version "v02exp", the best version so far imho. Makes transitioning from turning to the accelerated backwards-view smooth as butter and almost seamless, i.e. no more "snapping" which, for example, makes it much more easy when you are tracking a target in a dogfight.

Link: https://gitlab.com/NobiWan/vrnecksafer/-/blob/master/VRNeckSafer/Release/VRNeckSaferv02exp.zip

Cheers

Hi

I tried this version (I was on v208) but it doesn't work : even with reset button same than DCS, I see backward in menu. When I press the button it goes in front but directly go after to 180° .

Other question : there's no option/tweak menu with manual settings in this version ?

Last question : does it work only for yaw ? or pitch and translations work too ?

thanks

On 10/14/2021 at 3:41 AM, jonass1 said:

Cheers

ok I really need to try this - my only thing I don't like is how it transitions at each step vs smooth

On 10/16/2021 at 2:11 PM, dureiken said:

Hi

I tried this version (I was on v208) but it doesn't work : even with reset button same than DCS, I see backward in menu. When I press the button it goes in front but directly go after to 180° .

Other question : there's no option/tweak menu with manual settings in this version ?

Last question : does it work only for yaw ? or pitch and translations work too ?

thanks

Do you have the initial centering button bound ?

On 10/14/2021 at 3:41 AM, jonass1 said:

Cheers

Is v02exp available ? I didn't see this version - just v208

On 10/25/2021 at 3:09 PM, USA_Recon said:

Is v02exp available ? I didn't see this version - just v208

It is, just follow the link that i pasted. But, there seems to be a centering problem with v.02exp in DCS. I haven't used it in DCS, only in IL-2 where it works like a charm. So advice is to stick with 2.08 in DCS for now.

Cheers

Edited by jonass1

Core i9 12900KF | ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 64GB DDR5 5200MHz | 3 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | MSI MAG 322CQR 32´ | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Throttle | Thrusmaster T-Pendular Rudder | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 11

yeah, just using latest, when I changed to v02exp, it had me hovering in space even after recentering (G2 headset)

On 10/25/2021 at 5:07 PM, rstandi said:

Are you all able to use this without Steam VR..  I use stand alone.

Thanks,

Rod

requires SteamVR

Edited by USA_Recon