Radar (FCR?) questions

S. Low

• ED Team
14 minutes ago, shagrat said:

If they model the Longbow in detail we should be able to remove the FCR-mast... So the best of both worlds!

For me, and I would speculate for some others as well, the desire for an AH-64A is not so much about the lack of the FCR, but the different cockpit with gauges, switches, and a lot more distinction between the jobs of the pilot and gunner.  With the AH-64D, ~90% of cockpit tasks can be done by either seat.  I'm not complaining about getting an Apache mind you, far from it; just saying the AH-64A would certainly be a unique and fun aircraft for a slightly different flavor.

• Like 6

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

21 minutes ago, shagrat said:

If they model the Longbow in detail we should be able to remove the FCR-mast... So the best of both worlds!

Still good to remember AH-64D with digital avionics, datalink, next generation FLIR, CMWS etc. - just without FCR - will not be even close in capabilities to original Fulda Gap/Desert Storm analog AH-64A.

Edited by bies
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, bies said:

Still good to remember AH-64D with digital avionics, datalink, next generation FLIR, CMWS etc. - just without FCR - will not be even close in capabilities to original Fulda Gap/Desert Storm analog AH-64A.

Personally, I really hope if/when we get a Cobra, it will be an 80s-90s one. Either F or W. Would be a different experience from the modern Apache, and would go along very nicely with Mi-24P, and would add to that time period in DCS, which is the most plausible and (almost) well fleshed out imo. Getting a 2000s W or worse, a Z would be weird imo.

A modern (2000s+) Apache Longbow is cool, and I'm glad for the folks who love modern stuff, don't get me wrong. And while fixed wing had many advanced stuff with more on the way, there weren't truely modern helicopters. So in some ways I understand/appreciate this variant too. But even without radar it'll be a far cry from 80s-90s Apaches. And even an 80s-90s Apache would be the most advanced helo anyway 🙂

• Like 3

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

If past experience with Eagle Dynamics' radar modelling is anything to go by, and the time it takes them to do so so, then the FCR won't be released for years down the line from Early Access AH64D release. So while I share everyone's enthusiasm for this shiny "new" thing called the FCR on the Longbow, I would seriously consider curbing it and our expectations on how soon we will get it. 

• Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

I'd say that realistically, the AH64D is at least a year away from early access. Again, realistically the FCR is probably going to be released a year on down the line from that and I really doubt all of it's modes will be available "out of the box" so to speak. And yes, I am aware that Eagle Dynamics announced that the Apache will be released into early access this year. I'm just going by previous experience, with how long we have had to wait for their other modules and the state of development the module is in currently. Before you throw me under the bus, I'm not complaining. Just tempering expectations. It's what I've learned to do over the years of flying in DCS. There is plenty to tide me over, currently and most importantly getting to grips with the wonderful Hind. If they do release it this year, then I will be wrong, and pleasantly surprised. No harm done. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 4

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 6/29/2021 at 8:06 PM, Raptor9 said:

Well, let me broaden the discussion then, in order for me to understand the context of your previous post I was responding to.  To your mind, in what sense does the Apache's FCR impact "gameplay balance"?  What sort of balance are you looking for in DCS?  And how does the FCR upset such balance when compared to what?

When compared to every other adversary helo in DCS, regardless of whether they're flown by a human or AI.

X65 and X52, Glide, Winx3D, and GlovePIE Profiles http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=reticuli&CatID=miscmisc

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick

• ED Team
42 minutes ago, Reticuli said:

When compared to every other adversary helo in DCS, regardless of whether they're flown by a human or AI.

Why does the Apache (or any aircraft in DCS) need to be balanced when compared to any other aircraft in DCS, human or AI?

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 8

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

42 minutes ago, Reticuli said:

Why are you doing anything but avoiding adversary helos?

"Let's do stuff that isn't done with these things IRL"

"OMG this other thing is so much better at it, NERF!"

That's the general appearance of it.

• Like 8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, RodBorza said:

It has not a great range, but there is a reason for it: resolution. It is called millimiter wave radar because it gives the computer a resolution of milimiters.

Yeah, not really. I am too lazy to calculate the amount of energy / size of antenna needed to facilitate that. But rest assured it's more than the Apache can handle. 

It is a AESA radar,

I am going for, no it isn't. Maybe things have changed but a feedhorn and parabolic antenna don't point to AESA. 

AN/APG-78 - Radartutorial

Edited by Sinclair_76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is a AESA radar

No it isn't.

It has not a great range, but there is a reason for it: resolution. It is called millimiter wave radar because it gives the computer a resolution of milimiters.

That isn't what it means at all ... it means the wavelength is measured in millimeters.  Ie. the frequency is relatively high compared to say X-Band.

The "image" received by the radar would be similar to one made by a LIDAR,

Not even close ... LIDAR is nanometers.

In case of a tank, the returned signal would be very high at the bottom also, since it is a tracked vehicle with metal wheels. Again, a "picture" would be formed, compared to a library and then sent to the pilot. 

That radar image doesn't look like what you're describing.

How they do that over distance and in bad weather? Well, that must be some high hush-hush top secret stuff that Northrop Grumman only knows.

Like using a frequency window where vapor/water/atmosphere is transparent to it?

The main range problem is one of power and antenna size.  Guess what's limited on the heli.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2021 at 1:57 AM, GGTharos said:

Yes, they are effectively TWS tracks.

Is this in reference to A2A or A2G? I really want to know as having radar guided hellfires being rippled as a mini-fox3 would be very epic

ASUS Tuf X570 Pro Wifi | Ryzen 7 5800X | 4x8gb 3200Mhz GSkill/Crucial | Gigabyte RTX 3060 TI | 1 500gb Samsung 860 EVO Boot SSD | 2 500gb HDD | 500gb Crucial NVMe (With DCS install) | EVGA 650BQ  |  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + TM TF Rudder Pedals | TrackIr 5 | A handy dandy notepad ; )

F-5E | A-10CII | F-14 | FC3 | F-16 | F/A-18 | M2kC | MiG-19 | Sa342 | UH-1H | Ka-50 | L-39 | C-101 | P-51D | FW-190 D-9 | F-86 | Combined Arms | Mi-24P | Mi-8 | NS430 | Apache | "Christian" Eagle II ✝️ | Mirage F1

Primary Aircraft = Strong Red | Secondary Aircraft = Orange | Rarely Used = Yellow | Dead Aircraft/Not Bound = Purple | Recent Spike of Use = Teal/Cyan/Aquamarine/Whatever you want to call this

Air to ground.   No idea how/if you could really use the radar hellfires in A2A.  Laser guided ones have been, but radar is tuned to attack things in the ground.  It might work vs. an airborne target in a pinch though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

5 hours ago, GGTharos said:

No idea how/if you could really use the radar hellfires in A2A.

It is possible, as M-SHORAD utilizes AGM-114L as part of an ADA system. Here's a test video from a few years ago:

Now whether or not said missiles were tuned specifically for ADA is another question. Against other helicopters and low/slow flying aircraft, I'm sure they're plenty capable. SAL missiles have been used a few times for similar purposes.

• Like 2

They're tuned specifically for A2G.  They could potentially be used against slow targets like helis or other slow aircraft as you said, but it's not necessarily the best choice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...