how to customise the Default input profile for my joystick?

Sorry, if this question was asked before, but I can not find the answer in the forums.

My issue is that I have a rare Logitec G940 (maintained with love and tender for many years) and every time I get a new plane or even often after upgrades all my profiles are being re-set to the default factory settings which are unusable and take a very long time to re-configure.

Is there a way to customise the default profile, so that all new planes and resets can rever to it?

Thank in advance!

5 minutes ago, wfox said:

... Is there a way to customise the default profile, so that all new planes and resets can rever to it?

Hi.

I know no such way so on my case I opted to place the /Config/Input/ folder within a Cloud drive (using the windows wklink /j command) .. this way, the dcs input files are always being backed up whenever they suffer a change.

This allows me to easily recover a file to its prior state if needed.

R1YdEY1.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I regularly back up my input files - at the very least, whenever I change any profile for any module.

I do have a batch file that will change all the input filenames automatically now, but before, I used to do it this way:

When something changes in your rig and the profiles are reset, go into the assignment UI in DCS World and hover your mouse over the title of the controller column. There is probably an easier way to find this in windows, but this is the way I'm used to.

I then type out the USB ID address in Notepad. Then I go to the Input folder and do a search of all the files with my controller's name. I then go down the list of results, one at a time, and replace the address with the new one.

Takes about 10-15 minutes, where before I adopted this way it used to take several hours to redo everything - even just doing it by reassigning saved profiles took ages - so this way it goes a lot quicker.

I'm sure I have some screens of this procedure so I'll go and look for them which will make it easier to see what I'm on about.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis)
typo's

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Here we are - I open Notepad and type in or paste the full controller names and  USB IDs as they appear in DCS World:

Screen-Shot007-3.jpg

Then I highlight the first controller name and copy it, then open the Input folder and do a search for that device - you only need to enter part of the name that is unique - here I just searched for "Right" - and up come all the Joystick files from every module:

Screen-Shot007-2.jpg

Then I just simply go down the list and highlight each file in turn, press "F2" and then Ctrl-V to replace every file name with the new one.

Then I do the other two controllers. Like I said, takes about 10 - 15 minutes and no messing around.

The original defualt controller assignment files are in each modules folder in the DCS World installation folders - but I didn't change them there and I don't think you should, because the updater will highly likely just replace them with the old ones on every update, defeating the object.

If you can get hold of a batch file for your controller that would be the easiest way - maybe someone here has one for it or will do one for you.

• Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

From the answers above it seems like you always have to create a new profile for each new aircraft. And it's a pain. You should be able to assign default axis and button per input device. I.e. my rudder pedals should always be rudder and toe brakes (except for when the aircraft doesn't have toe brakes).

Another example is that all controllers get views assigned to the buttons, I use VR so I never have any use of these assignments.

It would be nice split the categories to plane specific stuff and general stuff.

As the number of aircraft increases in DCS, so does this configuration mess.

• Like 1

A little tool that prints out the button assignments across all aircraft would be nice. Normally you would like to a have similar function assigned to a specific button for all the aircraft you own (or where it makes sense). So Btn 1 is assigned to this for SU-33, that for F-16, this for Viggen and so on.

There is an option to export your assignments to an html file - but again, you have to do it for each module, and can't do it collectively.

What gets my goat is devs using different key assignments for the same thing - or at least, they used to. I rarely look at the keyboard assignments any more, but it's a pain when doing tutorials and you can't just say "ah, I know that this function uses that key" because it may not on another module, so you have to go and check it. The kneeboard is a good example of different modules or devs using different key assignments. I distinctly remember doing a video tute with the L-39 and quoting the key that the other modules had used for it, but then after uploading finding that for that module it was different. e.g. one used simple square brackets to turn the pages and one used Ctrl with square brackets.

Whether this has changed in the meantime I don't know - but I hope so because it just doesn't make any sense.

• Like 1

Kneeboard Guides

Whoops I guess I didn't read the manual... Apparently you save the a profile per controller, at least it seems to work with SU-27 and 33 which should be an easy task. So I guess I have to make some generic profiles per controller and go from there.

15 hours ago, wfox said:

...Is there a way to customise the default profile, so that all new planes and resets can rever to it?

Yes, there is a file that defines common commands available across aircraft modules, and some of these commands have default bindings.

The file is "default.lua" in the folder "...\Config\Input\Aircrafts\Default\joystick". The file should be opened with a program like Notepad++ (not with anything like Word!).The following lines define the view commands with default bindings:

{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_L'}}, pressed = iCommandViewLeftSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Left slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_R'}}, pressed = iCommandViewRightSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Right slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_U'}}, pressed = iCommandViewUpSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Up slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_D'}}, pressed = iCommandViewDownSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Down slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_UR'}}, pressed = iCommandViewUpRightSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Up Right slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_DR'}}, pressed = iCommandViewDownRightSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Down Right slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_DL'}}, pressed = iCommandViewDownLeftSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Down Left slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_UL'}}, pressed = iCommandViewUpLeftSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Up Left slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN5'}}, pressed = iCommandViewCenter, name = _('View Center'), category = _('View')},

This part "combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_L'}}, " defines JOY_BTN_POV1_L as the default binding for 'View Left slow'. You can edit the line by changing the button ID. This will then be the new default for all new aircraft modules you install.

These lines (near the end of the file) define default bindings for some axes:

{combos = {{key = 'JOY_X'}}, action = iCommandPlaneRoll, name = _('Roll')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_Y'}}, action = iCommandPlanePitch, name = _('Pitch')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_RZ'}}, action = iCommandPlaneRudder, name = _('Rudder')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_SLIDER1'}}, action = iCommandPlaneThrustCommon, name = _('Thrust')},

Notes:

1. Other default bindings are defined in the individual "default.lua" files associated with the respective aircraft modules.

2. Modified .lua files are restored to original files when you run Update or Repair. It's therefore necessary to make backup copies of your modified files.
    People who have a lot of modified files (like myself) use modmanager programs like OvGME to handle this.

3. Personally, I have removed all these default bindings (especially the ones in the aircraft modules) because I find that they cause more trouble than benefit if you have multiple game controllers.

Edited by LeCuvier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

2 hours ago, jonfog said:

From the answers above it seems like you always have to create a new profile for each new aircraft. And it's a pain.

Yes, the first thing I do when I get a new aircraft, is to design a HOTAS profile for it .. that then I go on adapting as I progress trough the aircraft Training. I'm currently learning the A-4E and this is my profile so far:

3svJ7vi.jpg

... and it is not a pain, I actually enjoy this task, it even helps me to learn the aircraft better as I contrast what it's real Hotas had with what I use to have.

You should be able to assign default axis and button per input device. I.e. my rudder pedals should always be rudder and toe brakes (except for when the aircraft doesn't have toe brakes).

How would that work? If you start to imagine what the User Interface for that would look like, then you will realize that it's more complex than what we already have.

Another example is that all controllers get views assigned to the buttons, I use VR so I never have any use of these assignments.

You belong to a small subset of users, I think that ED does the right call here and makes the default fit most of the users.

Try other Sims and see how they compare on the cpntrol customization aspect .. I've used FS2020 and IL-2 and in my opinion the DCS control customization is much better, in spite of its complexity.

Best regards,

Eduardo

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

6 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Yes, the first thing I do when I get a new aircraft, is to design a HOTAS profile for it .. that then I go on adapting as I progress trough the aircraft Training. I'm currently learning the A-4E and this is my profile so far:

3svJ7vi.jpg

... and it is not a pain, I actually enjoy this task, it even helps me to learn the aircraft better as I contrast what it's real Hotas had with what I use to have.

How would that work? If you start to imagine what the User Interface for that would look like, then you will realize that it's more complex than what we already have.

You belong to a small subset of users, I think that ED does the right call here and makes the default fit most of the users.

Try other Sims and see how they compare on the cpntrol customization aspect .. I've used FS2020 and IL-2 and in my opinion the DCS control customization is much better, in spite of its complexity.

Best regards,

Eduardo

Yes I flown them all and I agree that DCS is head and shoulders above the others. DCS is a proper sim and the others more game like. The drawback of being so good is the amount of buttons and axes you have to map. And then you have to remember them...

I was just wishing that it was just a bit easier to configure the input devices since  new aircraft is in the pipe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonfog said:

The drawback of being so good is the amount of buttons and axes you have to map. And then you have to remember them...

Yes, I agree on that .. that's the main reason I fly mostly a single aircraft at a time during 2-3 months, this gives me enough time to configure the hotas and learn all the aircraft Systems. I like to document the things I learn, as that makes it easier to come back to the aircraft in the future  even after a year has passed, that's why the detailed Hotas diagram or my own version of the procedures 🙂

Nowadays I'm on the Skyhawk because I'm helping with its training missions, but I intend to go back to the Mi-8 real soon, as a stepping stone to the upcoming Mi-24 ... even purchased a VirPil Rudder, pretty expensive but really needed 🙂

Cheers.

Probably why of the 29 modules I have I fly 3 of them regularly and only touch the others when I'm doing something for my website. I own all of the add-on campaigns yet I've only ever flown two campaigns and they came with the modules! (and two of them are for  two of the three I fly) Always telling myself I'll fly the others next but never do.

@LeCuvier - do these default files not simply get replaced every time you update? If not I'll kick myself, cos that's the reason I never edited them.

Edit - I also have a set of assignments on my HOTAS that I keep the same for every module. I think this makes sense. You very quickly learn where those are - and then you just need to know where the other important ones are, which can still be a bind when you're in VR and suddenly find that all the assignment diagrams you printed out aren't so useful any more - though I have put all of mine onto the kneeboards now.

The regular assigns that I never change are views and UI or sim controls - and stuff like "Eject".

Kneeboard Guides

1 hour ago, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

@LeCuvier - do these default files not simply get replaced every time you update? If not I'll kick myself, cos that's the reason I never edited them.

They do. See Note 2. in my post. I use OvGME, so that is not really an issue. The more tricky part is when they add features to a module which requires new bindings. So now you have a saved modified file with additions but without the new commands, and a new stock file with new commands but without your additions. Fortunately Notepad++ has an excellent "compare" functions which presents both files side by side and highlights the differences. I tend to put all my additions in a block of lines, and so I can easily copy my additions and paste them into the new file.

Sometimes ED adds missing commands to their new file (yes, it happens!) and now you have duplicated commands. It's safer to remove the additions that have now become redundant.

In a nutshell: yes, there is some complexity; but I find it manageable and I could (and would) not do without my additions.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5