Scripting Engine: Means to determine if an aircraft has a targeting (or other) pod equipped.

Poulet67

Dear Eagle Dynamics,

There is currently no way to determine if an aircraft has:

-A targeting pod

-Fuel tanks (we can sort of figure this out from fuel state, but it is not optimal)

-Gun pods

-ECM pods 

-Some other types not listed

By using the the scripting engine.

I can see a few possible solutions:

- Include these items in a getAmmo() call

- Include these items in a getSensors() call

- Create a new function call for these specific objects, call it getPods()

- Create a new function call that dumps all objects on all pylons.

- Give scripters some way to get the current weight/mass of the aircraft, this way at least we could do some math and determine what is equipped (this information is also not available through the scripting engine and probably should be... for this problem though, it is my least favorite solution).

We have seen ammo points scripts being adopted to discourage silly "unrealistic" load outs in more serious PvE servers. Many in the community have enjoyed that capability. Some folks would like to see a less "equip whatever you want" type environment in favor of assigned load outs for particular mission types. There are a TON of possible use cases and applications for this, and in general the more access we have to information in the simulation environment the more ability we have to make engaging missions. This benefits you as well, as new players and potential customers tend to stick around (and buy modules) when there are fun and challenging scenarios freely available such as they are in multiplayer.

Thanks for reading this, I very much hope you will implement this request.

Yours sincerely,

A DCS customer

• Like 4

This would be a fantastic addition. Not only would it be useful for armament limitations scripts, allowing TGPs to be limited to encourage buddy lasing, for example, but also be used with things like mission tasking scripting to determine the capabilities of an aircraft in the air and much more.

• Like 2

It does seem a little weird that basic loadout data like this isn't accessible to mission makers. Stuff like this is pretty damn important to being able to properly create multiplayer environments with reasonable restrictions. I'd 4th wanting to have this added to the lua api

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...