Offline Access - Unexpected Outages

Wolf359
Go to solution Solved by draconus,

I've experienced this on both platforms. I had an internet outage last weekend, and I could not access ANY purchased modules. Yes, I know if I CHOOSE the offline mode (which cannot be accessed unless I am already signed in), then I will be able to fly offline for a few days before the software needs validation. But...outages are not scheduled and cannot be predicted. Isn't there a way that the software will afford the same grace period when something unexpected like that happens?

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

you can also connect tethered to your phone. i am assuming you are using it to send this post? get online to play offline then terminate the connection. just hope there is no patch 😄

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Not down at the moment. This occurred last weekend. Thought of the phone tethering but the ability isn't included with my plan. All this is beside the point. I understand the necessity of authentication, but I wish ED would encode something that would allow a grace period.

• Like 1

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

13 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

you can also connect tethered to your phone. i am assuming you are using it to send this post? get online to play offline then terminate the connection. just hope there is no patch 😄

Yea you probably would be wrong to assume that convenience. If someone is posting about it, they probably thought of all the silly little simple steps you did.

On 2/18/2021 at 1:59 PM, SharpeXB said:

That worked, THANKS!

You're a life saver, I’m stuck working from home under a Covid and ice storm induced lockdown. Now I have WiFi back 😀

(and DCS)

merely sharing what fixed someone else.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• Solution

@Wolf359Grace period is exactly 72h without having to authenticate again. If using mobile internet/sharing is not an option and you don't want to be surprised just stay in offline mode. It saves the authentication for as long as you want it.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 3/9/2021 at 9:06 AM, draconus said:

@Wolf359Grace period is exactly 72h without having to authenticate again. If using mobile internet/sharing is not an option and you don't want to be surprised just stay in offline mode. It saves the authentication for as long as you want it.

Noted. And thank you.