Kingston HyperX Cloud II headset mic noise cancellation

GeneralDynamics

When I fly the FA-18C I like to make things as realistic as possible, including having the cockpit sound level similar to the actual aircraft, like 80-90 db during flight. I know there's a "Hear like in helmet" option, but I like to actually "feel" the cockpit sound around me via my 7.1 surround receiver while wearing my headset to better simulate what it's like to wear a helmet in the cockpit. Now, if any of you are as crazy as I am in this regard, then you might have noticed that the external noise interferes with speech engine's ability to understand you. That's the issue I had with my old Logitech G35 headset - if I turned up the cockpit sound, the speech engine couldn't recognize a word I said. I recorded the G35 headset mic with Audacity while flying, and I could clearly hear a great deal of background noise even after turning on passive mic noise cancellation.

I read some reviews of the HyperX Cloud II headset, and the consensus was that the mic noise cancellation with that model was very good so I gave them a shot. What a difference! Even with the cockpit sound running at 80-90 db as measured on my cell phone app and recording the Cloud II mic while flying, I could barely hear just a hint of a background noise under those conditions during playback and my voice  was crystal clear. The speech engine had no difficulty recognizing voice commands in a normal speaking voice. Maybe there are other headsets available with even better mic noise cancellation, but for what I paid for these, they were excellent.

I thought I'd pass along my experience in case any of you guys are as silly as I am... 😉

Edited by GeneralDynamics
  • Like 1

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

When I fly the FA-18C I like to make things as realistic as possible, including having the cockpit sound level similar to the actual aircraft, like 80-90 db during flight. I know there's a "Hear like in helmet" option, but I like to actually "feel" the cockpit sound around me via my 7.1 surround receiver while wearing my headset to better simulate what it's like to wear a helmet in the cockpit. Now, if any of you are as crazy as I am in this regard, then you might have noticed that the external noise interferes with speech engine's ability to understand you. That's the issue I had with my old Logitech G35 headset - if I turned up the cockpit sound, the speech engine couldn't recognize a word I said. I recorded the G35 headset mic with Audacity while flying, and I could clearly hear a great deal of background noise even after turning on passive mic noise cancellation.

I read some reviews of the HyperX Cloud II headset, and the consensus was that the mic noise cancellation with that model was very good so I gave them a shot. What a difference! Even with the cockpit sound running at 80-90 db as measured on my cell phone app and recording the Cloud II mic while flying, I could barely hear just a hint of a background noise under those conditions during playback and my voice  was crystal clear. The speech engine had no difficulty recognizing voice commands in a normal speaking voice. Maybe there are other headsets available with even better mic noise cancellation, but for what I paid for these, they were excellent.

I thought I'd pass along my experience in case any of you guys are as silly as I am... 
Just to say I also use this headset and can vouch for its sound qualities. It is also very comfortable to use - you just need to make sure the front of the mic is towards your mouth (both front and rear being covered by the noise baffle)

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

9 hours ago, hornblower793 said:

Just to say I also use this headset and can vouch for its sound qualities. It is also very comfortable to use - you just need to make sure the front of the mic is towards your mouth (both front and rear being covered by the noise baffle)

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Thanks hornblower - something else I forgot to mention is that the Cloud II headset does not require any bloated driver software like Logitech or Razer for instance and is plug and play via USB. The USB option utilizes a mini inline sound card so that the headset registers as a separate device from any additional sound devices you might have in your system. That was important to me for VAICOM, because I use my main 7.1 sound card for the main audio in DCS and for general gaming, Realtek onboard sound is used for SimShaker output, and the headset is used for VAICOM radio communications and anything else that should go to the headset in DCS.

The inline sound card can be bypassed by unplugging it from the headset and then inserting the 3.5mm headset plug directly into a jack on a sound card or receiver. The Cloud II has virtual 7.1 speaker capability, but only through the inline sound card while using the USB connection. I haven't tested the virtual 7.1 quality or bypassing the inline sound card because I only use the headset for VAICOM (thus far), but the options are supposedly there if you need them.

• Like 1

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker