AIM-9 seeker never commanding lock-on when slaved to L&S and HMD on

Jak525

When the HMD is turned on, and the AIM-9 is slaved to the L&S line of sight, the seeker is never commanded to lock-on. Lock-on should be commanded once the angle of coincidence test (AOC test) is met between the seeker and L&S LOS, and there is a good audio tone. This works properly with the HMD OFF. However, with the HMD on, the seeker never locks on.

You can tell this is happening because of the tone. The low pitch steady tone means the seeker is detecting sufficient contrast but has not been commanded to independently track. The high pitch steady tone means the seeker is tracking. In the HMD on .trk, you never get the high-pitch tone, but in the HMD off trk, you do. In the HMD on replay I also briefly commanded seeker lock-on without any L&S (hit RSET), to clearly demonstrate the difference in tones. You can hear when I do independently track the seeker without an L&S, there is a much higher pitched tone.

Current Behavior - With both HMD on and off, AIM-9 is slaved to L&S LOS. However, with the HMD on, the AIM-9 is never commanded to independently track once it has a good tone (and seeker LOS meets proper coincidence angle with L&S LOS). With HMD off, behavior is correct and AIM-9 independently tracks upon good tone and angle coincidence test.

Correct Behavior - With HMD on or off, AIM-9 should be commanded to track independently when slaved to the L&S target, once angle coincidence test is met and there is a good tone.

AIM9 HMD on not locking bug.miz.trk AIM9 HMD off locking demonstration.miz.trk

• Like 1

• ED Team

Hi,

we do have a report open related to this already I will add you feedback to the report. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

When an L&S target is designated, the AIM-9 should slave to it by:

1) pointing seeker LOS at L&S LOS

2) ensure angle of coincidence (AOC) test is met. This means the AIM-9 seeker LOS and L&S LOS are within 1.5 degrees of each other, or within 3 degrees of each other for a target 26+ degrees off boresight. Technically it should ensure the LOS's meet this for at least 0.3 seconds.
3) if/once 2 is true, command the seeker to independently track.

If at any point 2) is not true, the AIM-9 slaves back to the L&S line of sight and the process starts over at step 1. The result is that the AIM-9 is ALWAYS slaved to the CURRENT L&S, because this angle is always being checked.

Now, here's the bug. When the AIM-9 has not yet been commanded to independently track (no tone heard), the seeker properly slaves to the L&S line of sight. You can see this demonstrated when I step the L&S through various targets that are way too far away for the seeker to see yet and there is no tone. During this the seeker steps to each new L&S.

However, once I step the L&S to a close range target (close enough for the 9 to see it), the seeker is commanded to independent track and you hear the tone. This is correct. The problem then occurs after this when I step the L&S to another target. The computer SHOULD be recognizing AOC is false and going, "oh, the AIM-9 is tracking, but its LOS and the L&S (the new L&S now) LOS are way off. Back to step 1." However, that's not happening, and the seeker continues tracking the old target.

One fix I notice is pressing the Cage/Uncage switch will re-command the AIM-9 to slave to the L&S LOS. However, this is not correct, and the Cage/Uncage button has a different function when an L&S exists (I will make another report on this particular behavior).

AIM9 AOC test bug.miz.trk

Edited by Jak525
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• ED Team

Hi

Do you have any information that cage / uncage behaves differently with L&S exists for our United States Navy / US Marine Corps F/A-18C from 2005.

Its possible the behaviour is different but I will try to find out.  

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It is definitely the case in 2002, which is quite close. I have never seen the behavior described in any other way. The question would be whether ED's references support anything else, so I suppose that's a question for the devs.

Edited by Jak525
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

When the RWS and TWS are locked on the target, the AIM9 cannot lock the enemy aircraft through the HMD unlocking seeker.

Unless the AIM9 has locked on a target before the radar locks on the target.

The above two situations are demonstrated in TRK.

AIM9X-2.trk