Hornet manual has contradictory information on the throttle dispense switch

Ozone42

Hornet manual included with DCS 2.5.6.61527.3.

On page 69 it is said:

Dispense Switch, AFT – OFF – FWD. This three-way switch allows manual and semi-automatic
use of the ALE-47 countermeasure system.

Forward [E]. Start EW countermeasure program. Each press of the switch will initiate the
program set on the EW page.

Center. No function.
Aft [D]. Dispense single chaff / flare in manual mode

On page 386 it is said:

Aft. When in BYPASS mode, this will release one flare. If not in BYPASS mode or OFF, AUTO,
S/A, or MAN mode will initiate the program.

Forward. When in BYPASS mode, this will release one chaff bundle. If not in BYPASS mode
or OFF, it will initiate manual program 5

I.e., page 69 says Forward initiates the program and page 386 says Aft initiates the program.

Also, page 69 says single chaff /  flare will be dispensed in the other way, and page 386 says program 5 will be dispensed.

(It would be nice if the manual had a version number, so that you could easily tell when it was updated, and also be able to refer to the version number.)

Edited by Ozone42
Typo fix
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ozone42 said:

The sentence "If not in BYPASS mode or OFF, AUTO, S/A, or MAN mode will initiate the program." is difficult to understand. In which mode will it initiate the program?

"If not in BYPASS mode or OFF, then the AUTO, S/A, or MAN mode will initiate the program."

That is how I understand it.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

16 minutes ago, Svend_Dellepude said:

Me too.

But that is by reading between lines, as otherwise it means that any mode will initiate program. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

It's nonsense when taken out of context. But perfectly understandable when read in context with the previous sentence.

When in BYPASS mode, this will release one flare.

Edited by Svend_Dellepude

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Even with context it's nonsense because it's a sentence fragment.

If not in BYPASS mode or OFF, AUTO, S/A, or MAN mode will initiate the program.

What will initiate the program? The clause is missing a subject. The only way to fill-in-the-blank with the correct subject of the fragment is if one already knows how the device functions. Replace "or" with "then" to make "OFF, AUTO, S/A, or MAN" the subject of the clause (as Fri13 said), or delete the first "or" and replace it with a comma to correct the sentence. Or more precisely, it's not the modes that initiate the programs it's a specific button press while in one of those modes. It's simply written poorly, as many of our default manuals are. Having done proofreading work myself, it seems like our manuals are not often proofread beyond a cursory glance before release. 

Edited by Nealius

On 3/8/2021 at 9:30 PM, Ozone42 said:

Hornet manual included with DCS 2.5.6.61527.3.

On page 69 it is said:

On page 386 it is said:

I.e., page 69 says Forward initiates the program and page 386 says Aft initiates the program.

Also, page 69 says single chaff /  flare will be dispensed in the other way, and page 386 says program 5 will be dispensed.

(It would be nice if the manual had a version number, so that you could easily tell when it was updated, and also be able to refer to the version number.)

When I read the manual and something seems to make no sense, I jump into DCS and do what manual says to check. 

Works very well and helps understand certain aspects of English grammar be it DCS manual or other documents.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

8 hours ago, Nealius said:

Replace "or" with "then" to make "OFF, AUTO, S/A, or MAN" the subject of the clause

It would change the meaning of the sentence, though, and be incorrect.

If dispenser switch is "OFF" (down low, middle console), then you can't run a countermeasure program.

I think the easiest way would be to say, if the dispenser switch is in "ON" position (= not in BYPASS mode or OFF), then ...

The main point in this report here is about what the HOTAS "Aft" switch is doing, when Dispenser switch is in "ON" position and "MAN" is selected on EW DDI. Would it release single chaff / flare, as stated on page 69, or would it run selected countermeasure program, as stated on page 386. And same for "Fwd" switch, would it run selected countermeasure program or program 5.

I've updated the manual, which will appear in a later release. The dispense switch operates as follows:

CMDS switch set to ON:

• FWD: activates CMDS program 5
  • AFT: activates the CMDS program selected on the EW page

CMDS switch set to BYPASS:

• FWD: dispenses 2 chaff
  • AFT: dispenses 2 flares
  • Thanks 1

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

In Wags video he says Fwd on the switch initiates the program (in Semi) but it’s actually Aft, correct?

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5