Question regarding datalinked waypoints

Auranis

Hello all,

Just a brief question here regarding the datalinked waypoints (DLWP1-3, DLFP, DLST, DLHB). Currently their behavior in the sim is to function simply as marks on the TID, they can be hooked for the purposes of performing a datalink fix but there is no other way to interact with them, and destination vectors are not available for them.

I was curious as to whether anyone at Heatblur or otherwise had any info pertaining as to whether this is the behavior in the real jet, and/or if the behavior will be changed in the sim at all in the future. Personally, I'd quite like to have some ability to either get destination vectors directly from them, or to import them into the nav computer. Heatblur's F-14 manual says that destination vectors are available for datalinked waypoints, but I don't see any details on how to access them.

Thanks for reading

The modelled behavior is as it is in the real aircraft afaik.

The datalinked waypoints are sent via Link 4 and can be updated from the controller, ship or awacs, but as we don't have a way of implementing that in DCS we included the ability for them to be preset in the ME to allow some use of them.

The only way to get data from them is to hook them and use the CAP, you can get bearing/distance using the prefix buttons.

What sometimes get mixed up with this is that the normal waypoints that aren't called datalink waypoints can also be set by the datalink but only when on ship while aligning, this is currently modelled so that the RIO doesn't manually have to enter them in that specific case.

If the manual says somewhere that you can use the DEST mode to navigate to a datalink waypoint, that is in error and if you can point me to the location I can fix that.

3 hours ago, Naquaii said:

The modelled behavior is as it is in the real aircraft afaik.

The datalinked waypoints are sent via Link 4 and can be updated from the controller, ship or awacs, but as we don't have a way of implementing that in DCS we included the ability for them to be preset in the ME to allow some use of them.

The only way to get data from them is to hook them and use the CAP, you can get bearing/distance using the prefix buttons.

What sometimes get mixed up with this is that the normal waypoints that aren't called datalink waypoints can also be set by the datalink but only when on ship while aligning, this is currently modelled so that the RIO doesn't manually have to enter them in that specific case.

If the manual says somewhere that you can use the DEST mode to navigate to a datalink waypoint, that is in error and if you can point me to the location I can fix that.

The current behavior doesn't allow bearing and range to be displayed from a datalinked waypoint

BreaKKer

CAG and Commanding Officer of:

Carrier Air Wing Five //  VF-154 Black Knights

21 hours ago, BreaKKer said:

The current behavior doesn't allow bearing and range to be displayed from a datalinked waypoint

You're right, I just tested it and there seems to be a bug with the datalink waypoint which does not allow a correct hook. They become highlighted but the TID still says OWN A/C. I'll add a tracker for this internally so we'll have a look at it. They should work just like normal waypoints.

8 hours ago, Snakeice said:

Hi @Naquaii , 

I must have missed something ... can Waypoints be entered in DCS via the Datalink? How can it be done? Thank you!

Snakeice

I mentioned how you do it in my post above. You can only enter them via the mission editor. You will find it detailed here in the manual: http://heatblur.se/F-14Manual/dcs.html#f-14-waypoints-in-the-mission-editor .

On 3/13/2021 at 9:08 PM, Naquaii said:

How to activate that? Where you set those waypoints? Simply as F14 waypoints in ME?

9 ore fa, Naquaii ha scritto:

I mentioned how you do it in my post above. You can only enter them via the mission editor. You will find it detailed here in the manual: http://heatblur.se/F-14Manual/dcs.html#f-14-waypoints-in-the-mission-editor .

Thanks, i've misunderstood the messages before, so i can only automatically set Datalink Waypoint and not normal. it makes sense/

Snakeice

Nemo me impune Laecessit

Thanks for your replies @Naquaii!

On 3/13/2021 at 3:08 PM, Naquaii said:

It seems to say exactly that here: http://heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#steering

On 3/13/2021 at 3:08 PM, Naquaii said:

Either this is not implemented, the implementation is broken, or I'm missing a step somewhere, because I cannot replicate this behavior in the current DCS open beta. Only the DLWP1, DLWP2, DLWP3, DLFP, DLST, and DLHB will be loaded by link. The rest *must* be manually entered, even with the CAINS/WAYPT switch set on the deck to perform a CV alignment.

Edit: Does having Aircraft Stored Heading set in the mission editor make a difference on loading the waypoints via link?

Edited by Auranis

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 12:06 AM, Auranis said:

Thanks for your replies @Naquaii!

It seems to say exactly that here: http://heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#steering

Either this is not implemented, the implementation is broken, or I'm missing a step somewhere, because I cannot replicate this behavior in the current DCS open beta. Only the DLWP1, DLWP2, DLWP3, DLFP, DLST, and DLHB will be loaded by link. The rest *must* be manually entered, even with the CAINS/WAYPT switch set on the deck to perform a CV alignment.

Edit: Does having Aircraft Stored Heading set in the mission editor make a difference on loading the waypoints via link?

Non datalink waypoints entered in the ME are automatically transferred if you do a carrier align using link, that is implemented and works for me. The datalink waypoints IRL were the ones that were updated via the link in the air and could be set from the operator on the ship or in the AWACS but as we can't simulate that we load them from the special waypoints in the ME.

Stored heading is unrelated to this.

On 4/6/2021 at 12:41 PM, Naquaii said:

Non datalink waypoints entered in the ME are automatically transferred if you do a carrier align using link, that is implemented and works for me.

This is exactly what I'm trying to do, and it doesn't work for me. I tried it first using a client slot, and then again using a player slot after re-installing the F-14 module. The waypoints did not transfer in either case. I attached tracks from both attempts.

Is there anyone out there who can get it to work?

CAINS.trk CAINS2.trk

How do I get DLWP1-3 to work?

I've created a simple mission with just a carrier and one F-14B. I have created 6 waypoints for the F-14, and named 4-6 DLWP1, DLWP2 and DLWP3.

Cold or hot start doesn't matter, neither does it matter if I let Jester do the alignment or do it myself from the back seat. They just won't show up on the TID.

What am I missing?

6 minuti fa, Katj ha scritto:

How do I get DLWP1-3 to work?

I've created a simple mission with just a carrier and one F-14B. I have created 6 waypoints for the F-14, and named 4-6 DLWP1, DLWP2 and DLWP3.

Cold or hot start doesn't matter, neither does it matter if I let Jester do the alignment or do it myself from the back seat. They just won't show up on the TID.

What am I missing?

Hi, You should set WP1-3 Via standard waypoint and DLWP via Navigation target point, the item you used to create surface target (Square shape in mission Editor). As comment of navigation target point you have to write "DLWP1", "DLWP2", "DLWP3"

Once in mission you have to set your datalink to an agency and you will see DLWP on the TID. Remember you cant select DLWP as steering source, but you can only see them on TID

I hope to have been clear enough

Sankeice

Il 8/4/2021 at 02:23, Auranis ha scritto:

This is exactly what I'm trying to do, and it doesn't work for me. I tried it first using a client slot, and then again using a player slot after re-installing the F-14 module. The waypoints did not transfer in either case. I attached tracks from both attempts.

Is there anyone out there who can get it to work?

CAINS.trk 216 kB · 2 download CAINS2.trk 128 kB · 2 download

Same, @Naquaii Please can you kindly tell us your procedure or help us to find our problems? Thanks a Lot!

Snakeice

Nemo me impune Laecessit