does hornet have Hot Spot Detector in HUD?

flankerjun

I have just found that Razbam has update a video of AV8B,it has hot Detector in hud,AVB8B and HORNET have the same TGP,so does hornet have the same function?

Edited by flankerjun

A-10C Warthog,Flaming Cliffs 3,F-16C VIPER,F/A-18C HORNET,Super Carrier,AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL,Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight,Black Shark 2,SA342 Gazelle,UH-1H Huey,Persian Gulf Map,Combined Arms

Intel i7-14700KF| Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 2070 AD Special OC GDDR6 8G | Acer PREDATOR 32g DDR5 6000MHZ | MSI PRO Z790A-MAX | Kingston KC3000 1T SSD M.2 | ST 12T HDD 7200RPM | AOC 2790PQU 27'' 4K |Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog PC

The hotspot Detector on the harrier radar/NA is tied to the dedicated FLIR window above the nose, not LITENING.

ATFLIR for the hornet has FLIR built into the pylon that attaches it too station 4 but I don't think it has hotspot detector. Its just NAVFLIR AFAIK.

Edited by Wizard_03
  • Like 1

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

This is unique to the Harrier. It is not a function of the TGP but instead the built in FLIR in the nose.

• Like 1

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

15 hours ago, Wizard_03 said:

The hotspot Detector on the harrier radar/NA is tied to the dedicated FLIR window above the nose, not LITENING.

ATFLIR for the hornet has FLIR built into the pylon that attaches it too station 4 but I don't think it has hotspot detector. Its just NAVFLIR AFAIK.

As I have learnt too, the NFLIR in ATFLIR was only very briefly installed. And for most of its life it was without.

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

21 minutes ago, Swiftwin9s said:

As I have learnt too, the NFLIR in ATFLIR was only very briefly installed. And for most of its life it was without.

Indeed, I think it would be better if people don’t expect it to be included in the upcoming ATFLIR implementation. Pretty sure it’s not coming. 

5 hours ago, Swiftwin9s said:

Yeah I don't think it was ever used operationally, in any case. NVGs are much more ideal. 

Edited by Wizard_03
  • Like 1

Yeah I don't think it was ever used operationally, in any case. NVGs are much more ideal. 

Interestingly, I had a conversation with a real pilot recently and he said that he preferred the NAVFLIR to NVGs. Better sense of depth and he can easily look around the cockpit, instead of peeking.

This was not an F-18 pilot, but a fighter pilot nonetheless.
  • Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Bananabrai said:

I thought we're going to get the NAVFLIR with the ATFLIR (maybe at a later point though).

That's at least what I heard.

We are, ED has stated the IR coding for the entire game needs to be re-worked before we see it in the hornet thou. We're just saying that the technology was basically supplanted by NVGs in RL, in the hornet community.

Edited by Wizard_03
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 1:01 AM, Harker said:

Interestingly, I had a conversation with a real pilot recently and he said that he preferred the NAVFLIR to NVGs. Better sense of depth and he can easily look around the cockpit, instead of peeking.

This was not an F-18 pilot, but a fighter pilot nonetheless.

I know the Rigs are also not comfortable at all, especially for fast jets.

13 minutes ago, Wizard_03 said:

We are, ED has stated the IR coding for the entire game needs to be re-worked before we see it in the hornet thou. We're just saying that the technology was basically supplanted by NVGs in RL, in the hornet community.

We are? Where did you find that info?

12 minutes ago, Swiftwin9s said:

We are? Where did you find that info?

See thread title, I think the re-work was first mentioned back when the came out with LITENING for the hornet in a YT comment or something but I can't find it quickly.

EDIT:

here we go: January 10th entry scroll down to hornet systems:

Air-to-Ground Radar and Forward-Looking Infrared (FLIR)

Critical to complete the F/A-18C and F-16C, will be the inclusion of completed air-to-ground (AG) radar and Forward-Looking Infrared (FLIR) sensor systems. Last year, the JF-17 Thunder used our AG radar application programming interface (API) to great success. We will continue to improve the AG radar API and use it for both the Hornet and Viper. We will continue to enhance this area of expertise and work to improve radar shadowing, synthetic aperture radar (SAR) support, and varied resolution based on the type and era of radar.

The updated FLIR API will be used to improve the targeting pod’s infrared (black hot/white hot) cameras. This is a rather large undertaking because it not only involves programming tasks to account for thermal dynamics of world and unit objects but also creating thermal maps for all objects in DCS World and how they behave under different conditions.

Edited by Wizard_03
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wizard_03 said:

See thread title, I think the re-work was first mentioned back when the came out with LITENING for the hornet in a YT comment or something but I can't find it quickly.

EDIT:

here we go: January 10th entry scroll down to hornet systems:

Air-to-Ground Radar and Forward-Looking Infrared (FLIR)

Critical to complete the F/A-18C and F-16C, will be the inclusion of completed air-to-ground (AG) radar and Forward-Looking Infrared (FLIR) sensor systems. Last year, the JF-17 Thunder used our AG radar application programming interface (API) to great success. We will continue to improve the AG radar API and use it for both the Hornet and Viper. We will continue to enhance this area of expertise and work to improve radar shadowing, synthetic aperture radar (SAR) support, and varied resolution based on the type and era of radar.

The updated FLIR API will be used to improve the targeting pod’s infrared (black hot/white hot) cameras. This is a rather large undertaking because it not only involves programming tasks to account for thermal dynamics of world and unit objects but also creating thermal maps for all objects in DCS World and how they behave under different conditions.

So FLIR in this case is what the hornet refers to the TPOD as. NFLIR is the Navigation FLIR that is in question. And whilst it is known that the ability did at one time exist to use NFLIR, it was effectively none existent in ATFLIR and gone long before our hornet model.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:31 AM, flankerjun said:

I have just found that Razbam has update a video of AV8B,it has hot Detector in hud,AVB8B and HORNET have the same TGP,so does hornet have the same function?

"The thermal cuer is not a hot spot tracker, but a delta T cuer." -NWP 3-22.5-AV8B, Vol. I

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

1 hour ago, Swiftwin9s said:

So FLIR in this case is what the hornet refers to the TPOD as. NFLIR is the Navigation FLIR that is in question. And whilst it is known that the ability did at one time exist to use NFLIR, it was effectively none existent in ATFLIR and gone long before our hornet model.

The threads OP is asking about NAVFLIR specifically not the LPOD in general.

I'm not sure when it had or didn't have it IRL, but apparently we're getting it with ATFLIR implementation. Seeing as how they changed the title.

Edited by Wizard_03

Isn't this a NAVFLIR connecter? 
Resource: VFA Strike Fighter Squadrons Attack STRKFITRON US Navy (seaforces.org)

F/A-18C Hornets (VFA-34 / CVW-17) embarked on USS John F. Kennedy (CV 67) - November 2004
VFA-34-squadron-photo-114.jpg

F/A-18C Hornet (VFA-37 / CVW-3) embarked on USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) - February 2005
VFA-37-squadron-photo-100.jpg

F/A-18C Hornet (VFA-37 / CVW-3) embarked on USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) - December 2004
VFA-37-squadron-photo-109.jpg

Edited by JackCooper
  • Thanks 2

Though the AN/AAS-38 (TFLIR) and AN/AAR-50 (NAVFLIR) pods are within our blocks timeframe (it's what ATFLIR replaced) so NAVFLIR in the hornet shouldn't be out of the question.

Edited by wolfsword10
specifying which pods did what. Also corrected AN/AAR-55 to -50 as that is the correct designation.

On 3/25/2021 at 3:31 AM, wolfsword10 said:

Though the AN/AAS-38 (TFLIR) and AN/AAR-50 (NAVFLIR) pods are within our blocks timeframe (it's what ATFLIR replaced) so NAVFLIR in the hornet shouldn't be out of the question.

Unfortunately Wags said there were no plans to add Nite Hawk or any of its components (including the AN/AAS-38 and AN/AAR-50), which is a bit of a bummer as it seems that it most certainly should be a valid store for the aircraft and timeframe.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

7 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Unfortunately Wags said there were no plans to add Nite Hawk or any of its components (including the AN/AAS-38 and AN/AAR-50), which is a bit of a bummer as it seems that it most certainly should be a valid store for the aircraft and timeframe.

No plans doesn't mean it can't happen. Just that they aren't planning on doing it. If we raise the issue enough at some point after the hornet is much closer to actual completion they would consider adding it in.

2 minutes ago, wolfsword10 said:

No plans doesn't mean it can't happen. Just that they aren't planning on doing it. If we raise the issue enough at some point after the hornet is much closer to actual completion they would consider adding it in.

Yeah I hope so, but I'm already a little worried about things that are planned (or were last time I checked) that we've heard nothing about yet, especially with the Hornet leaving EA soon.

From here (just naming a few):

• ADM-141
  • AIM-7P
  • Mk 40
  • Mk 63

And if they're saying it isn't planned, it means it isn't coming in the future or at least it's not very likely to.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.