N8EC Shown in Trailer Video

zapb42

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I wasn't able to see anywhere to contact the developer of the Eagle directly.

I was looking into DCS and noticed one of the aircraft available was the Christen Eagle, which is cool because my father owned one that I got to fly in quite a bit from around 1996-2010, when he sold it (I believe to someone in Russia actually). One of the quirks of this particular airplane was its less common white-on-red color scheme rather than the usual rainbow-feathered one, and some upgrades to the engine for more power. It was built by Hale Wallace as far as I know.

On top of that though, on the aircraft page at https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/christen_eagle/ , in the video there is a white-on-red Eagle identical to my dad's. It has the N8EC tail number, and even the Tomcat insignia decal on the tail along with some other decals behind the canopy my dad had put on there, so I have no doubt this was modeled on the same airplane my dad owned and I spent so many hours in.

Was this airplane more well known than I thought or did the developer have some connection to it? I'm just very curious because I was so close to it while my dad had it.  He has since passed away so its just very intriguing to me to find a random connection on the internet.

Side note too, he was an officer in the US Navy flying the F-14 back between around 1978-1994, and my plan is to get the F-14 for DCS and learn it as well as possible so I can get a bit of an idea of what that was like.

Anyways, any info anyone might have on the connection to N8EC and would share it with me, I'd be very grateful! I've attached a few photos I have.

IMGA0105.JPG

IMGA0090.JPG

UpSideDown.jpg

• Like 4

The person who made the skins had some Pitts and Christen Eagle experience in real life, however since he is no longer with the team, I cannot say what was his motivation or connection to this particular livery. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

• 1 month later...

Hi, thanks for sharing your memories and pictures!

I'm sure your father would have had a blast flying this in DCS. ))

During the livery creation process, I was helping a coworker searching for unique colored aircraft other than the standard ones by Christen. 

This particular livery was chosen, because I found a picture of it from a Russian website.  I try to include something for the Russian community.

I see the only difference is that the new owner added a Russian flag decal where the USA flag would have been.

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

• 1 month later...

Bobby , I flew with your dad a number of times in that aircraft! He told me about you two flying cross country forever inverted in it on the way to or from Oshkosh! I was just looking him up a week ago to make contact with him again and found out he had passed. What an amazing pilot , aviation lost a guy with hands and feet of gold! I'm truly sorry to hear about your loss. Please reach out to me via private message I'd like to chat with you

On 3/10/2021 at 11:38 AM, zapb42 said:

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I wasn't able to see anywhere to contact the developer of the Eagle directly.

I was looking into DCS and noticed one of the aircraft available was the Christen Eagle, which is cool because my father owned one that I got to fly in quite a bit from around 1996-2010, when he sold it (I believe to someone in Russia actually). One of the quirks of this particular airplane was its less common white-on-red color scheme rather than the usual rainbow-feathered one, and some upgrades to the engine for more power. It was built by Hale Wallace as far as I know.

On top of that though, on the aircraft page at https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/christen_eagle/ , in the video there is a white-on-red Eagle identical to my dad's. It has the N8EC tail number, and even the Tomcat insignia decal on the tail along with some other decals behind the canopy my dad had put on there, so I have no doubt this was modeled on the same airplane my dad owned and I spent so many hours in.

Was this airplane more well known than I thought or did the developer have some connection to it? I'm just very curious because I was so close to it while my dad had it.  He has since passed away so its just very intriguing to me to find a random connection on the internet.

Side note too, he was an officer in the US Navy flying the F-14 back between around 1978-1994, and my plan is to get the F-14 for DCS and learn it as well as possible so I can get a bit of an idea of what that was like.

Anyways, any info anyone might have on the connection to N8EC and would share it with me, I'd be very grateful! I've attached a few photos I have.

IMGA0105.JPG

IMGA0090.JPG

UpSideDown.jpg

On 4/27/2021 at 8:10 PM, -Rudel- said:

Hi, thanks for sharing your memories and pictures!

I'm sure your father would have had a blast flying this in DCS. ))

During the livery creation process, I was helping a coworker searching for unique colored aircraft other than the standard ones by Christen. 

This particular livery was chosen, because I found a picture of it from a Russian website.  I try to include something for the Russian community.

I see the only difference is that the new owner added a Russian flag decal where the USA flag would have been.

Hey thanks for the info! It's pretty cool to see it used in this way. It's good to know it was flying with the new owner.

Further info - the Eagle is of course a homebuilt/kit aircraft, and this one was built by (I believe) Hale Wallace. I got to see into the wings when some fabric work was being done, and it looked like fine furniture in there, a very well-built airplane. If I recall correctly, it was also upgraded with higher compression helicopter pistons, a revised intake, a four-into-one exhaust (nice and loud) and possibly other things that brought it up to a supposed 250 horsepower (though that might have been a bit generous) and that thing could really climb.