How the hell do you safeguard against getting dumped into cliffhouse mid-game with wmr and reverb g2?

TED

I’ve had my reverb g2 a couple months now and coming from rift s the visuals are huge upgrade. However wmr user experience is awful compared to oculus. It seems as if it’s all just thrown together. I’ve worked through and around most of the issues but this goddamed cliffhouse keeps getting me.

Usually somewhere mid game a controller will switch off so I have to re-activate it. As soon as you do that the vr headset goes into cliffhouse and there is no way back into dcs without quitting. It’s insanely frustrating that something so basic is wrong in its design implementation. It basically makes dcs unplayable. I have the controller set to never switch off but it does anyway. 
how can oculus just make a simple interface that works every time and yet windows come up with this amateur complete mess ? Has anyone got any good tips on this? I’m using standalone dcs not steam but running it through steam vr.

• Like 1

Yes, I do the same, but this happens mid game if I have to reactivate a hand controller. Ideally I try to prevent the controller switching off but it just eats batteries and sometimes I forget. As soon as I hit the windows button on the controller to switch it back on - hello cliffhouse, goodbye dcs. Really annoying after you are n hour into a mission and then it’s impossible to continue.

I never switch on the controller in DCS, they are useless. Use only the mouse, in anyway when you are in cliffhouse push the small button right to the windows one, the one with lines this should bring you in steamvr and from there you can select DCS and continue.... I remember that for me worked.

I never turn my controllers on when flight simming.

VR has been rock solid for me with DCS. 

I run the beta of both WMR for Steam VR and Steam VR.

I launch WMR for Steam VR.

When everything loads I put headset on top of my head.

I launch DCS from desktop shortcut.

I then lower headset over eyes.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• ED Team

I dont have any issue myself, 

I am sure there is a setting somewhere for not fading to cliff house if paused but for the life of me I can not find it.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I decided just to go with the default advice here and ditch the controllers. Everything else has worked fine and i do like using the controllers for switches as it’s more intuitive than the mouse. I’ve just done a quick test and tits doable with the mouse instead and probably just gets a bit of getting used to. Apart from this cliffhouse issue I’ve been getting great performance even in mp so I can’t complain about anything else except for this bizarre interface.

What we really need is some decent gloves that just recognize the hand as it is. I don’t think the capto glove is there yet but that will be a significant improve,ent to overall immersion.

8 minutes ago, TED said:

I decided just to go with the default advice here and ditch the controllers. Everything else has worked fine and i do like using the controllers for switches as it’s more intuitive than the mouse. I’ve just done a quick test and tits doable with the mouse instead and probably just gets a bit of getting used to. Apart from this cliffhouse issue I’ve been getting great performance even in mp so I can’t complain about anything else except for this bizarre interface.

What we really need is some decent gloves that just recognize the hand as it is. I don’t think the capto glove is there yet but that will be a significant improve,ent to overall immersion.

Point Control. I am in line to get a set. Has had a lot of positive feedback and new Rev 2 is now offered. Has a bit of a wait though.

Also regarding mouse, keep in mind you can also assign mouse functions to buttons on HOTAS in the UI Layer of controller setup menu.

It is a global setting and not plane specific.

I use it myself for single presses, works for scroll also but kind of a pain as you have to keep pressing button to scroll.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Some folks suggested using a trackball instead of a mouse in VR.

Since the Trackball don't move in place it should be easier and more intuitive to use with headset on.

I have no experience on my own though...

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

22 hours ago, Hiob said:

Some folks suggested using a trackball instead of a mouse in VR.

Since the Trackball don't move in place it should be easier and more intuitive to use with headset on.

I have no experience on my own though...

Instead of a trackball, I bought myself a little mini key-/touchpad for a few bucks and gave it a try. I have mousebuttons on my HOTAS. Not the best solution, but cheap and works just fine for me!

mini wireless Touchpad = € 16,-

A very(!) good touchpad with tap and double tap (and twist and zoom and so on) gestures would be my dream solution.

I'd love to use an apple magic trtackpad would be my choice if it would work flawless under windows10, which it doesn't though... 😞

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

start your computer :

- open WMR by using g2 traytool

-open steam

-cick on steamvr

-start dcs and wear the G2

enjoy DCS in VR

there's no need for handcontrolers etc

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I have the same problem. And I can't fly without the controllers. I let it rest on my lap and when I need to push some buttons in pit I use the controllers, mostly only the right one.
But this is a WMR issue. Pressing the Windows button on one of the controllers puts you in the cliff house and it shuts down DCS so you can start all over again or loose your mates halfway a flight in multiplayer.

Kind regards

Jorik

Intel i7 8700k 5,0Ghz OC

Nvidia GTX1080Ti

32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

HP Reverb Pro

Selfmade Alu Rail 4080 mounts

TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Virpil 100mm extension + Virpil VFX + TM F/A-18 Stick

TM MFD's

Saitek Pedals

On 3/12/2021 at 3:30 PM, Goa said:

start your computer :

- open WMR by using g2 traytool

-open steam

-cick on steamvr

-start dcs and wear the G2

enjoy DCS in VR

there's no need for handcontrolers etc

Or you could just start DCS and put on your G2. No need for anything else. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 3 months later...
On 3/11/2021 at 10:33 AM, TED said:

I’ve had my reverb g2 a couple months now and coming from rift s the visuals are huge upgrade. However wmr user experience is awful compared to oculus. It seems as if it’s all just thrown together. I’ve worked through and around most of the issues but this goddamed cliffhouse keeps getting me.

Usually somewhere mid game a controller will switch off so I have to re-activate it. As soon as you do that the vr headset goes into cliffhouse and there is no way back into dcs without quitting. It’s insanely frustrating that something so basic is wrong in its design implementation. It basically makes dcs unplayable. I have the controller set to never switch off but it does anyway. 
how can oculus just make a simple interface that works every time and yet windows come up with this amateur complete mess ? Has anyone got any good tips on this? I’m using standalone dcs not steam but running it through steam vr.

Hi! Did you solve this? I have the same issue, I think we all do, and it's a royal pain.

On 3/11/2021 at 5:13 AM, dburne said:

I never turn my controllers on when flight simming.

VR has been rock solid for me with DCS. 

I run the beta of both WMR for Steam VR and Steam VR.

I launch WMR for Steam VR.

When everything loads I put headset on top of my head.

I launch DCS from desktop shortcut.

I then lower headset over eyes.

I have always thought that you have to run/log into Steam to use steamvr and WMR. The last couple of days I went this route by just plugging in my G2 then WMR starts up and then just opening up DCS and everything boots up and ready to fly. Not running Steam in the background or using the controllers. My settings are set so I don’t even run fpsvr and msi/af but will ever once in awhile.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

21 minutes ago, Burt said:

I have always thought that you have to run/log into Steam to use steamvr and WMR. The last couple of days I went this route by just plugging in my G2 then WMR starts up and then just opening up DCS and everything boots up and ready to fly. Not running Steam in the background or using the controllers. My settings are set so I don’t even run fpsvr and msi/af but will ever once in awhile.

Correct. I am using Vive Pro 2 now and it also runs with just Steam VR fine. And of course the Vive Console which is needed with VP2.

Only time I need Steam running is if I want to access a Steam game from my library.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

On 6/28/2021 at 4:41 AM, lev-kusanagi said:

Hi! Did you solve this? I have the same issue, I think we all do, and it's a royal pain.

I've found you just need to be very careful before hitting that Windows button (my sig may show Rift S, but I'm on a G2 now).

I try to keep my controllers awake by moving them every few minutes, but sometimes one does go to sleep. I give it a few seconds to make sure it's gone to sleep, then press and hold, ONLY ONCE, the windows button. The controller usually comes back online without going to cliff house. If you hit the windows button again, it'll take you to cliff house, so just press and hold once to wake up the controller. So far it's worked OK for me.

Try as I might, I haven't been able to find a setting to stop the controllers from going to sleep, it's a PITA. It's about the only thing I liked better about Oculus.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Kercheiz said:

I don't have any controller, and I don't have any problem. If you don't really need them, maybe you can unlink them.

Some of us do much prefer the controllers. I hate the mouse, the pointer moves with your head so you have to hold your noggin perfectly still while using it, and it’s one hand only. I have a controller beside each hand so whichever one is free at that time I can use. Increases immersion for me, but everyone has their own personal preferences. As this thread indicates, controllers have their downsides too. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

Literally never had the op’s issue, I use the controllers in the cliff house, I don’t use them in game because … it doesn’t work for me from a process flow/ ergonomics POV, they turn off never dumped to the cliff house.

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, Werewolf_fs said:

For everyone who has the problem of falling to the home of WMR when pressing the windows button. They must update the Windows Mixed reality APP from the microsoft store, for me I solve that problem

@Werewolf_fs your text is invisible on the standard dark theme 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg