Loosing mouse in VR?

Jyge

I have this problem that sometimes I loose the mouse in DCS using VR. I have the mouse also mapped in Warthog slew control and it works, but the "real" mouse does not work. If I take off the goggles, point them still to window I can move the mouse also normally, only wearing the goggles the "real" mouse does not work.

It also depends on several factors, I need to have everything up and running, DCS Updates and TARGET and only then can I start the Steam VR, then the mouse will work. Sometimes very seldom when playing it might get lost, then the only way to reacquire it, is exit DCS, stop Steam VR, restart Steam VR and then restart DCS.

I know there are people who experience this, it is apparently a Steam VR or DCS problem or a combination of them together, only exiting both works for me. Is there another way of reseting the situation, maybe doing something in Steam VR, without killing it, so that DCS does not crash in the process.

I would be much happier if I could do something also during the flight if this happens. I rely on clickable cockpit in some places and if I loose the mouse it gets tedious.

To recover, press the windows home button on your controller, until the window appears, then close it the mouse pointer will be set in the current window context.

to avoid it, start everything from within WMR house and the when in DCS press ALT-enter to maximise the mirror.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I have this problem that sometimes I loose the mouse in DCS using VR. I have the mouse also mapped in Warthog slew control and it works, but the "real" mouse does not work. If I take off the goggles, point them still to window I can move the mouse also normally, only wearing the goggles the "real" mouse does not work.

It also depends on several factors, I need to have everything up and running, DCS Updates and TARGET and only then can I start the Steam VR, then the mouse will work. Sometimes very seldom when playing it might get lost, then the only way to reacquire it, is exit DCS, stop Steam VR, restart Steam VR and then restart DCS.

I know there are people who experience this, it is apparently a Steam VR or DCS problem or a combination of them together, only exiting both works for me. Is there another way of reseting the situation, maybe doing something in Steam VR, without killing it, so that DCS does not crash in the process.
I would be much happier if I could do something also during the flight if this happens. I rely on clickable cockpit in some places and if I loose the mouse it gets tedious.
Another option (if you are using WMR) is to change input switching to "manual". Give it a try. 92568f5af593f475484b9cb19d894802.jpg
  • Like 2

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2021 at 11:39 AM, zildac said:

Another option (if you are using WMR) is to change input switching to "manual". Give it a try. 92568f5af593f475484b9cb19d894802.jpg

That helped alot and did it for me, thank you Sir!

Main-Module: F-16C, AH-64D

Maps: Syria, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Caucasus, 1944 Normandy, NTTR

Hardware: VKB Gunfighter mk.2 Pro, WinWing Orion F16, VKB T-Rudder, HP Reverb G2

PC Specs: Intel 13900K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-5800 RAM, GeForce RTX 4090, Win 11x64

2 minutes ago, MarkP said:

That helped alot and did it for me, thank you Sir!

You're welcome 👍

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

If SteamVr is already running when I start DCS then the mouse is ineffective for me.  To fix I then minimise the steamVR window and click into the WMR window...then back to DCS window and Mouse is back!   

Note I do not have controllers for my G2 

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

2 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

If SteamVr is already running when I start DCS then the mouse is ineffective for me.  To fix I then minimise the steamVR window and click into the WMR window...then back to DCS window and Mouse is back!   

Note I do not have controllers for my G2 

Odd, I don't suffer this issue. I usually just start WMR Portal (or plug the power into the G2), then start WMR for SteamVR and launch DCS. Never have the controllers powered on.

3 hours ago, zildac said:

Odd, I don't suffer this issue. I usually just start WMR Portal (or plug the power into the G2), then start WMR for SteamVR and launch DCS. Never have the controllers powered on.

Never figured out what was going on.   My way is power G2 -> WMR launches automatically -> Start DCS (either direct or via DCS updater GUI utility) -> SteamVR launches automatically.

If I then quit DCS and do not kill SteamVR with it then relaunching DCS means no more mouse buttons. go figure.

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

I typically have to power on a controller, point it in the direction of the screen and hit the trigger, if starting from all closed.

Which is literally the only thing I use my controller for.

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Never figured out what was going on.   My way is power G2 -> WMR launches automatically -> Start DCS (either direct or via DCS updater GUI utility) -> SteamVR launches automatically.

If I then quit DCS and do not kill SteamVR with it then relaunching DCS means no more mouse buttons. go figure.
I'll have to try and see if I can reproduce. I usually kill off SVR and WMR when I'm done with a session.

6 minutes ago, zildac said:

I usually kill off SVR and WMR when I'm done with a session.

Hehe..yeah u'd think that but lately DCS has picked up a habit of crashing me out before i'm done 🙂

• Like 1