DCS Features Wish List

Dr. Mitsos

DCS Features Wish List  

88 members have voted

1. 1. DCS Features Wish List

My Wish List:

· Show key command and status on tooltips.

· Better support for multi-monitor.

· Better and deeper training tracks, instead of a list of key command / actions.

The show key command on tooltips is a great one, the tooltips text is in a .lua file somewhere iirc, shouldn't be too difficult to implement... would just take a while!

I liked the world much more when it wasn't THIS acronym happy. I'll be reading a post on something, say the game "Knights of the Old Republic," and there will be so many acronyms that those who post there often obviously know them. For me, it is like trying to decipher another language.

TOW stands for "Tube-launched Optically-tracked Wire-to-command-Link". You see, to use NOT the acronym is big pain, especially in forum like this, where much talk is about military related or themed things. It is the same like saying "radio detection and ranging" instead of well accepted acronym "RADAR".

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

I dont know if it has been mentioned before, but I want birds... Not only would it add to the feeling that you are flying around in a living, breating world, but it would also add a whole new element to low level flying, getting a bird smashed throught the windscreen at 2-300 km\h probably isnt a positive experience :P

We need to see the preview of skin selection in Loadout

Title says it all - I'd like to be able to see the skin when I select it on the loadout screen so that I know its the one I want, instead of having to load up the mission in order to verify its the one I want. Its also handy to be able to see any newly installed skins, whether they've overwritten or added on to the list.

Speaking of which, there's got to be a better way to get customer-created skins into the game - this ordeal of re-writing lua this and that is way out of my league, even trying to follow Mitch's instructions, no success. Of course the only real successful install was using the 4 Canadian skin pack using Modman 7 (awesome btw).

TOW stands for "Tube-launched Optically-tracked Wire-to-command-Link". You see, to use NOT the acronym is big pain, especially in forum like this, where much talk is about military related or themed things. It is the same like saying "radio detection and ranging" instead of well accepted acronym "RADAR".

Well said, but respectfully, I would disagree. TV would be fine, it is in virtually all English speaking vernaculars, but AWGTHTGTTA, BBIAB, CWOT, DWISNWID, EG, FTTT, GBY, H, IDC, JAWS, etc., etc. This is where it gets ridiculous from my standpoint. I have, many times, read about something and had an acronym in there that was being used interchangable with a noun, and because I didn't know it, the whole passage was virtually meaningless.

There are so many different levels of expertise in these type forums, from the guy flying his first sim ever, to the old man who flew helicopters before anyone had really heard of Vietnam. I understand the use of, and can relate to the need for, acronyms, but I think it is far better to give the reader a chance to be included in the conversation by at least once naming those that aren't really very common at all.

Just my opinion, I don't know why it was here, but I had to vent and finally say it. By the way, can you look at the list of those 10 acronyms above and understand them all? I found it on a place called "500 most common Internet acronyms" and randomly chose 1 for the first 10 letters. There were 2 that I knew, and knowing 20% of a language but trying to understand it an be rough.:doh:

Edited by Sunjah

Remember, on Nov. 4th, vote for Black Shark for President!!!

I will add some AI groud units I would like to see.

-TOW team (dismounted, on tripod)

-9M111/AT-4 ATGM (dismounted, on tripod)

-BRDM-2 ATGM variant

-Mortars

-M113 mortar carrier

-Command variants of various APCs and IFVs

-Pioneer vehicles

-S-60 AAA

-SA-7 Strela-2 SAM

And static objects:

-Battle positions for tanks (http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=9141&d=1167408085)

-Dug in positions of various sizes for different vehicles (mortars, AAA, SAM, artillery)

-Camo nets of various forms and sizes (http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=9181&d=1167513382)

I wish we could have the Crimea back. It would open up a whole host of mission and campaign opportunities. I was mildly disapointed to see the roads and towns and airfields gone. Might be a limitation. I also hate to see terrain and no towns or roads with them. Something that might come along later on? I just think if it has the correct terrain, then it should have roads, towns, forrests, rivers, lakes, roads, airfields etc.

Dusty Rhodes

Play HARD, Play FAIR, Play TO WIN

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit / Intel i7 4790 Devils Canyon, 4.0 GIG /ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard/ ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB/ 32 Gigs of RAM / Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5 / 2 Cougar MFD's / Saitek Combat Pedals/ DSD Button Box FLT-1

But I think it's safe to assume the AH-1s were above or level with the Mi-24s. Firing TOWs and other slow ATGMs against gravity drops the missile range off sharply.

I dont think so. The main engine on the TOW only fires for 1.6sec. The rest is inertia to 3.5Km, which takes about 7sec. Gravity is not going to have that much of an effect. If we were concerned about penetrating armor, possibly. But the TOW has a shaped charge for penetration and does not penetrate with inertia.

One wish / add-on I wish for. Enable filters in Multiplayer, like no password servers. It’s kind of annoying clicking on each session, trying to find and open game, just to be prompted to enter a password.

Having the ability to sort via Ping, Players and Name would also be grateful.

Thanks for the consideration.

Edited by TheMoose

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

8 shkval slew directions in the cyclic button assignments page ;)

+1, it would make my life out in the combat fields easier as well ;)

A-10C, AV-8B, Ka-50, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F/A-18C, L-39, Mi-8, MiG-21, MiG-29, SA34, Spitfire, Su-27, Su-33, UH-1H

At least as far as passwords go, there is a padlock symbol readily visible.

Thanks Once you said it I noticed it, but was not that readily visible.

I have another wish for DCS.

Any consideration & ability of making the environment more alive?

I mean highways, with heavy traffics, birds around the airports (creating some possible havoc when taking off), boats on rivers, and dams that can be destroyed, civil aircraft's, random meteorological weather patterns in the same mission from different areas of the map…

Thanks again for an awesome simulator.

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

When you're able to purchase an 8-CPU with quad core per CPU plus some 32Gb of RAM on independent buses you might see heavy traffic ;)

It's a limitation of available computing power unfortunately.

I mean highways, with heavy traffics, birds around the airports (creating some possible havoc when taking off), boats on rivers, and dams that can be destroyed, civil aircraft's, random meteorological weather patterns in the same mission from different areas of the map…

Thanks again for an awesome simulator.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Maybe that level of realism can't be achieved these days but one thing is for sure: DCS graphics need to be greatly improved.

My wish list includes:

-Graphics need to keep up latest DX standards. HDR, physics libraries(Havok or physix), create new, better and plenty of smoke and particle effects, Strong shader use (Many ppl have the raw GPU power today), better water shader (That small texture tiling over and over is dated). How about better resolution textures? RAM memory is very cheap these days. Don't worry about us.

-Optimize the application by natively supporting multi-core processors. Also, the fact that there's water everywhere underneath land makes the use of high quality water prohibitive.

-A slighty better UI. We want plenty of options to choose from. Mirror resolutions, in-game option of Antialiasing an Anistropic filtering. If you don't want to tax the graphics interface with too may options you can include a configuration screen before entering the sim.

-Some gameplay and realism achieving things like collidable trees, more building populated terrain. If possible expand the map. I would love to see more places to ground pound.

-Where's the dynamic campaign? We need it!!

-Some AI fixes. I think soldiers should keep moving when their vehicles are being crushed instead of just standing there waiting to be shot.

-The Multiplayer UI is ugly and lame compared what one usually needs when MP takes more of your BS time.

I'm pretty sure that all of these cannot be ready for the next DCS modules but I hope to see sustantial improvements thru DCS upcoming releases.

ED, you have a gold mine here. Listen to your community carefully. I know you have been doing it. Just keep up the good work.

DCS is the best that has ever happened to the simulation on PC in a very long time. uffff... gone are the days when I thought that a extremely realistic FM and a fully clickable cockpit could not be achieved on my PC.

Thank you ED for writing DCS.

Edited by 7rooper

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

-A slighty better UI. We want plenty of options to choose from. Mirror resolutions, in-game option of Antialiasing an Anistropic filtering. If you don't want to tax the graphics interface with too may options you can include a configuration screen before entering the sim.

-Some gameplay and realism achieving things like collidable trees, more building populated terrain. If possible expand the map. I would love to see more places to ground pound.

-Where's the dynamic campaign? We need it!!

Warning! Viper Pilot! Hehe

x2

Too many cowboys. Not enough indians.

GO APE SH*T

When you're able to purchase an 8-CPU with quad core per CPU plus some 32Gb of RAM on independent buses you might see heavy traffic ;)

It's a limitation of available computing power unfortunately.

FSX already is average 3 year old and DCS is a new born, with old scars. I still believe they have potential on this old request.

Too some extent, I would believe on what you said, but then again, the environment I’m asking for is already available under FSX on certain degree. So no, I don’t think I would need to wait for the hardware you share as a ''future'' (that future is now) PC to be available, I believe in ED & future development, don't you?...

Edited by TheMoose

Can I assign univocal frequency at each FARP (that I've added into mission)?

Can I change default callsigns of airports?

If Y, what I do?

Currently, this should be possible through the scripts, but I don't know exactly how. Check the lua files in the \...\Scripts\World folder. In the future, ED would like to move toward implementing frequency assignments through the mission editor. In fact, the initial steps of this functionality may already be available in the first patch. No promises.
Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

It has nothing to do with me believing in ED. It has everything to do with knowing how computers work.

FSX already is average 3 year old and DCS is a new born, with old scars. I still believe they have potential on this old request.

Too some extent, I would believe on what you said, but then again, the environment I’m asking for is already available under FSX on certain degree. So no, I don’t think I would need to wait for the hardware you share as a ''future'' (that future is now) PC to be available, I believe in ED & future development, don't you?...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda