Supercarrier and all ship water wake/wave adjustments.

Coyote_One

This is something probably not many people have posted. However I feel its important for accuracy in carrier ops.

The wake of the carrier is not near as noticeable when rounding the corner in the groove. It needs a lot more white-water wake behind that ship for at least a quarter to half mile. 

I know the SC is coming with lots of updates soon so maybe its already thought of. But it would be not only more immersive but more real to life and easier to actually see the the ships path when lining up in the groove in close. Its also what they use IRL when turning in close. 

I know water is 2D right now which presents a big problem but I think with the current wake it wouldnt be too difficult to extend it out more and make it much more prominent.

Looking forward to the future of the SC!

Thanks

a-view-of-the-wake-left-by-the-nuclear-powered-aircraft-carrier-uss-dwight-20ba43-1600.jpg

• Like 12

• ED Team

Ship wake improvements are planned but I do not have an ETA for you all at the moment.

The wake improvements will be for all ships when it happens.

thank you

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

4 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Ship wake improvements are planned but I do not have an ETA for you all at the moment.

thank you

Thank you for the reply NEWY! I appreciate that its on the agenda.

Looking forward to the improvements!

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
On 3/15/2021 at 12:02 PM, BIGNEWY said:

thank you

Just curious with todays newsletter focused on the supercarrier. Has there been any progress on ship wake visuals? Or has been moved back on the priority list. @BIGNEWY

Thanks 🙂

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, cochise said:

The 5:55 mark says it all! Looking forward to this!

Theres no wake cos he has his water settings on low?. 

EDIT - so thats wrong - there is a wake. Didnt realise it was so indistinct!

Edited by Boosterdog

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

5 minutes ago, cochise said:

@Boosterdog Yes there is a wake but it's extremely small and indistinguishable when you're trying to use it for a lineup. VR makes it even trickier to spot.

Yeah I can see why! - I watched the video twice and didnt even notice them. Went in to the ME and, having gotten over the WTF of the STILL missing deck marking on the SC, was stunned at how quickly those wakes fade away in all but the kindest pond like seas. 

Hopefully, like the missing deck markings in the ME, on the ED fix list..........somewhere....

• Like 3

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Meanwhile you can use Taz1004 awesome mod with longer wake 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

28 minutes ago, fagulha said:

Meanwhile you can use Taz1004 awesome mod with longer wake 

Why Taz1004 isnt a beta tester of even a bloody consultant for ED is beyond me. 

He should at least have a little tag below his name "there, fixed that for you"

• Like 7

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/15/2021 at 6:02 PM, BIGNEWY said:

thank you

Hey there @BIGNEWY are there any Infor about Carrier wake? I´ve tested it 2 days ago in 2D with settings all maxed up and the wake looks good from the top down view (even though a bit short), but from the actual approach perspective its still not much usable. In VR its even worse. Is the wake still under development?

Thx in advance.

regards

top down.png

into the groove.png

on final.png

• Like 1

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

• ED Team

Hi, 

we have a improvement report open but I can not give a timeline for it. 

thanks

• Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

40 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

we have a improvement report open but I can not give a timeline for it. 

thanks

Thanks a lot

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

• 1 year later...

Just to complicate this to death speed is everything.  From the looks of the photo in the OP they were making some turns.  If you're doing 30(+) knots there's a lot of froth; I have pictures of that from a two screw ship boat.  If you're doing 15, which is a pretty common 'get from point a to point b' speed, there's not nearly as much wake.  I have those pictures as well.

It's all about power curves; power is a cube function of speed, wake is a function of the amount of power being applied to the water, cavitation, blah blah blah.

So if the boat needs to make all thirty knots of wind across the deck, big wake.  If there's a ten knot wind, less wake.  If it's doing five turning circles on station, you get the DCS wake.

That doesn't even get in to the bit about the tail end oscillating when all those turns are happening.  Not sure if that affects the deck in close because I've never been above (or on) the deck of a carrier doing 30(+) knots, but it sure gives you a ride on smaller boats.

Then there are the poor slaves in the berthing compartment converted from the ships brig, with port/starboard racks right over the top of the screws.  Above 15 that 'sleeping' area is a hazardous noise area, and the whine from the steering hydraulics, which never ends, is loud enough to keep the dead awake.

<edit> That was unsat.  Got my power curves bass-ackwards.  Good thing I don't do that stuff anymore...  </edit>

Edited by Raisuli