Texaco TACAN frequency

84-Simba

Hi guys !

Just to let you know that I had to AAR at the end of HOP 5 (I think) and I had the very bad surprise to follow 110X and end up turning around not seeing the tanker.

A quick look at the F-10 map to discover there is a 110X beacon at the north of the Elgin corridor, not far from Texaco.

I ended up getting to it using radar but definitely and tensed moment as I was left with 1500 pds of fuel ...

We can of course modify the tanker TACAN freq with ME but the kneeboard won't be accurate then.

So, be careful if you are very short petrol.

Fly safe and enjoy !

(FWIW I think Texaco 110X ILC and Arco 12X LSV are air to air tacans and don't seem to conflict with Wilson Creek 110X ILC and Nellis 12X LSV ground tacans but you do need to set the tacan to A/A mode instead of T/R. Or get Jester to do it.

I was trying to set up voice commands so I could say, Jester! Tune Texaco Tacan! and... I can't remember if I got if to work but if you just tune to 12X without setting the mode to A/A it points you back to Nellis.)

Edited by Dezmond

1 hour ago, Reflected said:

OK, Tacans changed to 75X and 76X. Should make it into the next update. Thanks for the report!

Shame! 🙂

I thought it was a mildly interesting subtlety of... Tacans!

Can see how one would want to remove as many sources of friction as possible, mind.

22 hours ago, Reflected said:

Sh*t, I had to redo them all again, looks like 75 and 76 are used by some random station hidden at the edge of the map. 101 and 102 it will be...

I don't only have to change the missions but the briefing images, kneeboard pages and documentation too, a real pain for such a small change 😄

FWIW I genuinely don't think you need to change it. The air to air Tacan... becons can clearly share frequencies with ground stations without a problem, and 101 and 102 *still* won't get you to the tankers if you haven't set the Tacan... receiver? to air to air mode. 

I would have said a small note about air to air vs. ground tacans would be sufficient here, if anything.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Just ran into this issue on event 7 as I was getting low on fuel after the dogfight, and running through the SAM trap twice.

Looked on the kneeboard to find TACAN for Texaco, which listed 110X, and I tuned it. A/A mode didn't get any signal, so I tried T/R which did get a signal in a believable location. So I went there, but there was no Texaco there... Oops, not much fuel left now! Luckily I was able to just make it back to Nellis on minimal power, and fumes in the tank.

But I guess that was the wrong channel for Texaco. Which channel should I have used? And where should I have found th information?

In the meantime until a fix is delivered use Y channel and T/R instead of A/A on the mission editor for Tankers.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

16 hours ago, Esac_mirmidon said:

In the meantime until a fix is delivered use Y channel and T/R instead of A/A on the mission editor for Tankers.

Sorry, that would mean updating 2 tankers in 15 missions, updating dozens of briefing and kneeboard pages too, only to go through the hassle once again to revert it when it's fixed. It's just not worth it, when, for all I know, it may be fixed in weeks. Or not. But I have to assume basic core functions of DCS are working properly, I can't redesign campaigns based on what's broken at a given time and what isn't. Then I would be doing this 24/7, with zero time for new projects - or for life in general.

Im not saying this is a perfect. solution for everyone. Just a temporary way around.

DCS evolves and bugs are there. Sometimes some issues are more annoying than others but eventually they will get fixed.

Bearing to tankers are still ok so use that and the radar to find them. In real life not all tankers are able to transmit Bearing- Distance and pilots must know tankers hook patterns location on the flight plan to find them.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4