A-1 Sky raider

upyr1

I'm currently using the P47 in that role.  Clearly not accurate, but close enough for me.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 10 months later...

It would be great to seat in such aircraft in VR. Plus it would offer very attractive missions, maneuvering to manually aim the weapon, tons of ordinance and atmospheric historically relevant campaigns in Korea and Vietnam. And carrier operations on top of that.

I could not agree more with the Sandy coming to DCS! Milviz did a pretty good job for P3D and MSFSX but nothing rivals the quality and standard ED has set for DCS.  I personally never purchased this from them, but from the video I found below, it gives an idea of what we could possibly expect in DCS.  

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 10:06 PM, Weed89 said:

there is no other plane that can do what the SPAD DID   carry MORE ordinance than it WEIGHED !!   her pilots LOVED her too.... i want one REAL bad !!  "Sandy"

Is this urban legend - have heard it many times… but empty weight & ordnance load figures don’t seem to support this 

11 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Is this urban legend - have heard it many times… but empty weight & ordnance load figures don’t seem to support this 

Well, it certainly came close.

From Wikipedia:

Empty weight: 4.785 kg, Max. TO weight: 11.340 kg

I'm aware that the difference is not only ordnance payload - but I suppose this is from where the statement stems.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Wiki* page I’m looking at gives 5,429kg empty and 8,213kg gross…

… with armament load out of 3,600kg

That’s not too shabby - we’re talking more than either a B-17 or a Mossie

89ADB7C6-E6FE-4C9F-975F-8B29B18A04BC.jpeg

Doesn’t matter, would be good aircraft to have… but in terms if era fit a TBF / TBM would be better

I assume the 8.2 tons are loaded weight with all fluids, fuel, and internal ammunition. Add 3.6 tons on the external hard points and you are pretty close to the max TO weight.

Looking across different language wiki pages all of the above values are found, but not always complete.

Anyway. A beast. I'd love to see it in DCS, too.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Doesn’t matter, would be good aircraft to have… but in terms if era fit a TBF / TBM would be better

It is not a WWII plane - it is a cold war Korea/nam plane, which will see usage on the cold war servers. TBF/M is pure WWII, so no real era overlap.

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

1 hour ago, Bozon said:

It is not a WWII plane - it is a cold war Korea/nam plane, which will see usage on the cold war servers. TBF/M is pure WWII, so no real era overlap.

Truth be told, there is an overlap - TBF/M was retired in 1954 while Skyraider was introduced in 1946. TBM's used in Korea were, as far as I know, part of Marine Corps (HQ Squadrons 22 and 33) and COD operations. Not sure how Marines used them though, and that wasn't numerous presence. My guess is TBM was good enough for Korean War in terms of performance, but its niche shrinked and it wasn't representative type anymore. Anyway, I am not stating you are in the wrong, just bringing a curiosity.

Besides - yes, we need "Spad". 😉

I wasn’t suggesting the Skyraider was a WW2 aircraft…

The reference to WW2 and the TBF/M was to the fit with the ecosystems we have / expect to have in DCS.

There is a WW2 Essex inbound, a Corsair, and hopefully an ecosystem comprising appropriate WW2 PTO assets.  There are no equivalents announced for Korea or Vietnam - therefore as nice as a Skyraider would be be, it would be another outlier at the moment

3 hours ago, rkk01 said:

The reference to WW2 and the TBF/M was to the fit with the ecosystems we have / expect to have in DCS.

There is a WW2 Essex inbound, a Corsair, and hopefully an ecosystem comprising appropriate WW2 PTO assets.  There are no equivalents announced for Korea or Vietnam - therefore as nice as a Skyraider would be be, it would be another outlier at the moment

Not sure why you say that. We will have F-4, F-8, A-6 and probably the A-7 before an A-1 would be ready, plus Mig 21 (variant is off, but no biggie), Mig 19, Mig 17 (in progress) on the red side. One can also add the UH-1H and community A-4E to that list. For Korea we have the F-86 & Mig15, that is not much but still A-1 will be another step. On the other hand for WWII Pacific we only have the F4U while TBF was normally mixed with F6F, F4F and SBD which were not announced yet, not to mention any adversaries with red meatballs on them.

• Like 1

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

19 hours ago, rkk01 said:

We have the F-86, MiG-15, MiG-19 and the F-4 is coming so I think a plane used in Korea and Vietnam would be a good fit. I think we need a zero before the tbf.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Right now the only member of the Gulf of Tonkin Yacht club we have are the Forestals, but they are the wrong fitting but the USAF used the A-1 in Vietnam and the Marines used them.

Yes we need more stuff for the PTO but we also need more stuff for the cold war too 

• Like 1

The A-1 Skyradier would bring an useful mission capability for it just being able to do A/G attacks better than any other aircraft in Korea and Vietnam.

Here is an interesting account of an A-1 Skyraider that shot down a Mig-17 in Vietnam.

On 2/12/2022 at 10:29 AM, Devil 505 said:

I could not agree more with the Sandy coming to DCS! Milviz did a pretty good job for P3D and MSFSX but nothing rivals the quality and standard ED has set for DCS.  I personally never purchased this from them, but from the video I found below, it gives an idea of what we could possibly expect in DCS.  

I thought the radar scope  display in the cockpit was removed from A1H's by the time of the 1960s?

I have A-1H 1965 natops manual and also a USAF based one from 1971 and its not referenced in cockpit layouts by that point.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD