The Gen 11 Intel series is out for preorder so.....

Hi all,

I left DCS about 3yrs ago so I could wait for VR to become more usable in DCS. Well now I have the $$ to finally build a new computer and word is VR is much better these days? My biggest question right now is 10900k or 11900k? Has the 10900k relieved the cpu bottle neck issue if not then I assume the 11900k with its much much faster single core/thread performance will solve this issue? I also wonder if the 11900k with only 8 cores will take a hit when Vulcan is implemented?

Here is what I plan on getting. I already have a 2080ti but will get the 3090 once all this BS shortage is over. I'd appreciate any input you guys might have. Thanks!

CPU

11900k (If they don't fall into scalper hell) <--- Curious if this is overkill and I should just get the cheaper 10900k?

VR

HP G2 Reverb

Mother Board

GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS Elite Mother Board

Hard Drive

Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 64-layer 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS100T3X0C

Memory

TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 64GB Kit (2x32GB) 3000MHz (PC4-24000) CL16

PSU

Corsair RMX Series, RM850x, 850 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply (CP-9020180-NA)

1 hour ago, wraith76 said:

Hi all,

I left DCS about 3yrs ago so I could wait for VR to become more usable in DCS. Well now I have the $$ to finally build a new computer and word is VR is much better these days? My biggest question right now is 10900k or 11900k? Has the 10900k relieved the cpu bottle neck issue if not then I assume the 11900k with its much much faster single core/thread performance will solve this issue? I also wonder if the 11900k with only 8 cores will take a hit when Vulcan is implemented?

Here is what I plan on getting. I already have a 2080ti but will get the 3090 once all this BS shortage is over. I'd appreciate any input you guys might have. Thanks!

CPU

11900k (If they don't fall into scalper hell) <--- Curious if this is overkill and I should just get the cheaper 10900k?

VR

HP G2 Reverb

Mother Board

GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS Elite Mother Board

Hard Drive

Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 64-layer 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS100T3X0C

Memory

TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 64GB Kit (2x32GB) 3000MHz (PC4-24000) CL16

PSU

Corsair RMX Series, RM850x, 850 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply (CP-9020180-NA)

Here is the first single thread Benchmark I found. I'm not a benchmark guy so I don't know if the 11900k is blowing away the 10900k or if this is close in performance? Anybody know?

image.png

Edited by wraith76

15 hours ago, wraith76 said:

One more question. Would the M.2 I am buying keep me from suffering any stuttering? I've read that you need a fast ssd to avoid any stuttering as the terrain is loaded in.

The main thing you need is an SSD, regardless of type. If you're using a platter drive, it's going to stutter loading up the 50-60gb maps.

Also above you talk about ''eliminating the CPU bottleneck''. You're always going to have a bottleneck somewhere in your system, it's unavoidable as your components are not precisely equal to each other at all tasks at all times. There is no such thing as ''eliminating bottlenecks''. You just want to avoid massive disparities in processing power, like an ancient CPU with modern GPU or vice versa is not a very efficient use of your resources. If you pair a good CPU with a good GPU and adequate RAM, that's literally the best it gets 😃 One or more components will be faster/slower than the others and something ends up waiting.

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Mars Exulte said:

The main thing you need is an SSD, regardless of type. If you're using a platter drive, it's going to stutter loading up the 50-60gb maps.

Also above you talk about ''eliminating the CPU bottleneck''. You're always going to have a bottleneck somewhere in your system, it's unavoidable as your components are not precisely equal to each other at all tasks at all times. There is no such thing as ''eliminating bottlenecks''. You just want to avoid massive disparities in processing power, like an ancient CPU with modern GPU or vice versa is not a very efficient use of your resources. If you pair a good CPU with a good GPU and adequate RAM, that's literally the best it gets 😃 One or more components will be faster/slower than the others and something ends up waiting.

Thanks for the response! I'll admit I am fairly knowledgeable with building computers but I guess I don't know as much as I think I do haha. I had assumed at some point no matter what current CPU or GPU combo you would throw at DCS you wouldn't take a FPS hit. I was always looking at it as how can I reach full settings with 45FPS or 90FPS. Could this be done with a 10900k and 3090 if not then which device would be the culprit that is slowing down my FPS, GPU or CPU? I assumed it would be the 10900k and was wondering if the 11900k would solve this problem which was the main point of my thread(My biggest question right now is 10900k or 11900k? ). I've been reading more through the forums and man o man its feeling like Theoretical Physics haha trying to hypothesize the solution to the an ever elusive answer! I wonder if I did a side by side test (10900k/3090) vs (11900k/3090) would they both share the same FPS?

I'm sitting here with all my new computer parts delivered minus the GPU and CPU. I will be getting a 3090 but probably not till next year so for now I'll be using my 2080ti. However I am just assuming I have the 3090 since that is my end goal,  I am STILL ON THE FENCE on the CPU. I could just buy the 10900k right now and get to flying but I would hate it if I saw that the 11900k boosted the FPS in a meaningful way (15 FPS). I probably should just settle down and wait for somebody to post their experience with their new 11900k and 3090, it's bound to happen soon. hahah I guess after a 3yr wait I'm getting supper impatient.

wraith76,

Yes you could wait but if your like me and did not see the point in waiting just get a 10900k, I bought a 10700k as the chart only showed a few hundred points in difference singe core.. I doubt that would equate to drastically more FPS for me anyhow..

The benchmarks will be forthcoming but to get someone to do one for DCS is hard to come by.. Plus they are charging a little extra for the preorder is what I see..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I've ordered an 11900K and Asus Strix Z590-E so hopefully it'll arrive early next month. I was running an AMD 5950x (fell for all the hype) however since I bought it late November I was getting loads of WHEA errors and BSOD's. It was a big step up from the 8700k I had previously but it wasn't stable at default settings. I RMA'd it and AMD confirmed it was faulty so I'm now waiting on the replacement so as I can sell it to pay for the 11900K. I hope I've better luck with this chip, performance wasn't the problem, just stability. I've already got the 3090 to go with it, it's been faultless.

Win 11, 12900K, 32Gb RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 3090,  Varjo Aero, TM Warthog, PointCtrl, ViaComPro, Tactile Inducers, Next Level Racing Motion Platform.

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the 10900k. I can see they are already scalping the preorders for the 11900k at around $1100. With that I said F#$% It because I feel it will be just like the GPUs and always sold out. I'm also worried the 10900k price will go up once this happens. Either way I appreciate y'all taking the time to comment. I'll be flying next week and back on the race track in iracing. Can't wait to see what its like to go from a 2.5Ghz System, 1080 GPU and Oculus rift to a 10900k, RTX2080 TI HP REVERB G2 Setup! Its been 3yrs since I touched sims!