I want my money back

Of all the items I have bought and used over the years, the Spitfire is the only one that does not work at all.

I have tried all the suggested ways to improve flight but to no avail.

Every other plane I own flies perfectly well using my Warthog setup, the Spitfire defies all tweaks and flight curve inputs.

I give up.

I have the Spitfire in IL Sturmovik BofS and it is a joy to fly.

Edited by mikethemadmonk
mistake

Of all the items I have bought and used over the years, the Spitfire is the only one that does not work at all.
Every other plane I own flies perfectly well using my Warthog setup, the Spitfire defies all tweaks and flight curve inputs.
I give up.
Spitfire fly like a charm, compared to DCS the IL-2 version fly like... more or less like all the others aircraft. What exactly You found that didn't work? I can trim the Spitfire and fly for about five minutes straight barely touching the stick. The problem must be in what You do instead in the aircraft. You talk about curves, what curves You set? No polemical, just interested in helping.

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 4

OP, what issues are you having with it? Give us a bit more detail and maybe we can help you out. Jump onto the Aerobatics Online Caucasus server and I will help and give you some tips no problem. Just let me know when you will be on. 

I fly it without any curves, and she flies like a dream, very light stick inputs and I can throw it all over the virtual sky. Out of all my modules, Spitfire is by far my favourite.

• Like 5

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

• ED Team
6 hours ago, mikethemadmonk said:

I give up.

Can I have more detail on the issues you are experiencing right now? I would love to be able to help you out, thanks!

• Like 4

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I think that OP issue is that he is not able to set controls to have exactly the same response as in il2's spitfire. This i think is impossible to achieve.  

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I think that OP issue is that he is not able to set controls to have exactly the same response as in il2's spitfire. This i think is impossible to achieve.  
I think I have control of the Spit with my settings, I also think that the other sim's Spitfire flight like a train, on tracks, totally unrealistic.

Can't comment on the "Other Sim"

Like the others here, I find the Spitfire a joy to fly stable and predictable (well perhaps taxi-ing can be a bit fraught, initially, even then, now if I taxi slowly I very rarely even use the brake)

I find it much easier than the Axis warbirds to fly

Post up with your complaints, lots of offers of help and that includes me.

I can't give you tips on combat but taking off landing taxi-ing and free flight I might be of some assistance, be a shame to give up on such a nice module

• Like 1

The DCS Spit is by far the best sim-Spit I've flown. all others have 'generic' FM-s compared to this one. She flies exactly like I'd expect based on the hundreds of personal accounts I've read. It's a delight for experienced pilots. Quite challenging for us, virtual pilots who have never gone through flight training.

If you give us more details I'm sure you'll get some good advice. Also, what planes are you comparing it to? You mentioned "every other plane I own"...

• Like 4

I remember years ago my first flight in the Dcs spit, was like wow she is a sensitive girl.  Well that's true to life and once you develop the muscle memory for this Spit its by far the most magnificent flying machine In dcs in my opinion.  Something dcs does very very well is convey the absolute differences between the airframes and performance.  The feel is so different from air frame to airframe and makes it so much more believable.  

Helps to have a buttkicker and the software that takes the telemetry data and transforms that into vibration inputs.  Makes flying the warbirds so much more dynamic and can feel the edges of the flight envelops literally.  

I use a Warthog and saitek rudder pedals, i Only have curves on the rudder because its old and not as precise it once was.  The Warthog i have no curves and just takes allot of time getting the muscle memory down but the buttkicker is a great aid in that.

• Like 6

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

• ED Team

I am very familiar with other renditions of the Spitfire as well, and even for me, our Spitfire was different, but Nick has assured me that the sensitivity of the pitch is exactly what he experiences in the real thing. I even set up some different dives at 370kns, and showed him the different control stick movements and the associated G's I see in the sim and he said we were right on. Pitch is just extremely sensitive. 

So you come from another Spitfire game where maybe you can slam the stick all the way into your waist and try and do that in the DCS version and you find yourself snapping wings off. He did mention that the Spitfire should be a little bit stronger on that first pull of G's which we will fix, but other than that, what you see is what you would get in the real thing.

If that is the original poster's issue we can work with that with him, if its something else we can figure that out as well. 

• Like 9

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

20 minutes ago, Reflected said:

I remember reading a story about a pilot who accidentally pushed/ kicked/ whatever the stick 1 inch forward, and he completely lost consciousness for a second or two. The Spit's pitch was THAT sensitive.

There is a slight problem with this statement though. 

1 inch where? 

1 inch on top or at the base of the stick? 

You see? Can't really say it is sensitive if one does not specify details... 

She fly like a lady, and with a lady You must use "gloves and softouch". Is responsive on the pitch so You must flight in accordance... Is a turn fighter that above certain speed become for me an energy fighter. A pilot must know the flight charateristics of his plane and act in accordance to make use of pro and exploit the cons... For my is the best part of flyingbwith thecwarbirds, adapt my style to the plane I'm flying.

3 hours ago, razo+r said:

There is a slight problem with this statement though. 

1 inch where? 

1 inch on top or at the base of the stick? 

You see? Can't really say it is sensitive if one does not specify details... 

I don't know many Spitfire pilots who hold the stick at the base... 🤣

• Like 2

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

25 minutes ago, VH-Rock said:

I don't know many Spitfire pilots who hold the stick at the base... 🤣

By saying not many, does that mean that you do know someone who does though? 😛 😄

I admit, it was an exageration, but I hope it showed where I want to go with it.

I have to join and say the Spit is, quite frankly, a joy to fly.

No FBW - no limiters - just pure enjoyment.

Im going to say a controller issue to the OP.?

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

12 hours ago, garyscott said:

Im going to say a controller issue to the OP.?

Either that, or expectation bias.

I'd say the difficulty for each warbird is about the same, which doesn't mean, they don't have their individual habits (looking at you, takeoff-bitch 109)...

If one particular habit is annoying, a little tune (curve) to the correspondant axis usually does the trick... (and proper gear, I found a very long and soft-centered/soft-springed stick particular helpful with warbirds)

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Joining the choir. Spitfire is my absolute favorite because of it's flying characteristics.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

On 3/21/2021 at 1:42 PM, Reflected said:

I remember reading a story about a pilot who accidentally pushed/ kicked/ whatever the stick 1 inch forward, and he completely lost consciousness for a second or two. The Spit's pitch was THAT sensitive.

This thread inspired me to put a little vid together:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 10

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

watched it just this morning 😄.

First thing I thought after a couple of minutes, when he uses a TM Warthog with no extension, how will he ever fly this thing without absolutely pancaking the curve...😅

but, there we go, adjust the curve and use a long stick will do the trick. Nice Vid!

edit: I have slight curvature between 9 and 21 on pretty much all my birds... a little more on rotorcrafts and warbirds, a little less on fly-by-wire jets....

together with a 20cm extension on the stick.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I've flown the DCS Spit extensively with a MSFFB2 stick, which is much shorter than the Warthog stick. Without curves! It can be done. All it takes is bit of patience and muscle memory. The reason why I'm not using curves with my stick is because it's a force feedback stick and curves throw off it's motors by quite a bit. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• 4 weeks later...

I love the spit, I’ve had it for a year or so and found it very difficult to get it off the ground! Turning round and round in circles but all of that was my poor understanding of controls. I’m really enjoying it now as a break from the fast movers my only disappointment is the lack of training videos I think we deserved a few more than they gave us. 

I've flown a real Spitfire IXc. Yes, the pitch is very sensitive indeed. Before my first flight I knew from reading WW2 pilot accounts what it was going to be like, my instructor warned me, and I was fingertipping the control stick, and STILL my stomach went when I pitched up for the first time because I overdid it. I did find banking to be a lot easier to control properly/accurately the first time I tried it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

PC specs: