I want my money back

In one of the WW2 pilot accounts that I read the Spit pilot mentioned that pilots transitioning from earlier Mk Vs had to be warned about increased pitch sensitivity of Mk IXs. It was a common problem so DCS seems to be correct in this respect. You have to be very careful with the controls and possible reduce curve saturation as mentioned in the earlier posts.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 9:38 AM, Weegie said:

Can't comment on the "Other Sim"

Like the others here, I find the Spitfire a joy to fly stable and predictable (well perhaps taxi-ing can be a bit fraught, initially, even then, now if I taxi slowly I very rarely even use the brake)

I find it much easier than the Axis warbirds to fly

Post up with your complaints, lots of offers of help and that includes me.

I can't give you tips on combat but taking off landing taxi-ing and free flight I might be of some assistance, be a shame to give up on such a nice module

Post liked just for being a fellow Weegie. 🙂

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.

On 5/5/2021 at 3:11 PM, Lusik said:

In one of the WW2 pilot accounts that I read the Spit pilot mentioned that pilots transitioning from earlier Mk Vs had to be warned about increased pitch sensitivity of Mk IXs. It was a common problem so DCS seems to be correct in this respect. You have to be very careful with the controls and possible reduce curve saturation as mentioned in the earlier posts.

That's news to me and I've been studying Spitfire history - as an amateur, admittedly - for 25 years. What source is this?

My sources indicate that the issues with pitch instability were more problematic in the Mk.V with the Mk. IX actually helping to solve these with the heavier and longer engine moving the CoG forward (thus bringing it into the more stable position) & the new elevator mass balance geometry helping to improve stick free stability.

Edited by DD_Fenrir

1 hour ago, DD_Fenrir said:

the new elevator mass balance geometry helping to improve stick free stability.

Sorry to butt in, but are you referring to the re-designed elevator horns that came in with the VII?

longer engine moving the CoG forward

Yes, this helped restore the balance in more ways than one - the IX replacing the Vb also enabled the RAF to compete with the FW190 so restoring the balance in fighter performance between the two airforces. I like that 'symmetry', for want of a better word. 🙂

PC specs:

I recently posted a new entry up here, pining about the problems with random controls, but the few times I have actually got it in the air, I had a hard time controlling it because of the sensitivity issues. So I'd love to pick your brains about how to fly it, because your descriptions seem too good to be true. I've tried the tutorials (which I also had peculiar problems with) and it's the only DCS aircraft I can't fly. So I'll take any help you can offer!

-= Gary =-

a.k.a. Florida - Current DCS Beta, A-10C II Warthog, F/A-18C Hornet, F-16, F-14B Tomcat, P-51D, Spitfire, Track IR, Logitech X-56 HOTAS, Logitech rudder pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Throttle Quadrant, Razer Orb Weaver, X-Box controller

:pilotfly:

1 hour ago, Florida said:

I recently posted a new entry up here, pining about the problems with random controls, but the few times I have actually got it in the air, I had a hard time controlling it because of the sensitivity issues. So I'd love to pick your brains about how to fly it, because your descriptions seem too good to be true. I've tried the tutorials (which I also had peculiar problems with) and it's the only DCS aircraft I can't fly. So I'll take any help you can offer!

if you can afford it then buy a joystick that supports the extension. VKB Gunfighter Pro or the Virpil one. With the physical extension you will have a lot more room for errors and necessary corrections. In my experience you won't need to modify any curves or saturation to reduce the sensitivity as you'll be able to control it much much better with a longer stick.

6 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

if you can afford it then buy a joystick that supports the extension. VKB Gunfighter Pro or the Virpil one. With the physical extension you will have a lot more room for errors and necessary corrections. In my experience you won't need to modify any curves or saturation to reduce the sensitivity as you'll be able to control it much much better with a longer stick.

Whilst this is the near ideal solution, there is a workaround for shorter throw sticks that doesn't require splashing out on new hardware:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Whilst this is the near ideal solution, there is a workaround for shorter throw sticks that doesn't require splashing out on new hardware:

No doubt, and I did use the work-around for flying the Spit when I dove in to DCS 5 years back. It worked fine but I just didn't like the fact that I had to re-adjust my muscle memory when switching to Spit from other planes. The workaround definitely tamed the bird but the joystick movement was pretty unnatural to me as I kept re-evaluating if the curves needed more tweaking to emulate the long stick movement. This OCD drove me nuts so I finally bit the bullet and bought the gun-fighter pro to fully enjoy the sim experience. But I'm weird like that, so this is an extremely subjective experience and the opinion. 😄

1 hour ago, peachmonkey said:

No doubt, and I did use the work-around for flying the Spit when I dove in to DCS 5 years back. It worked fine but I just didn't like the fact that I had to re-adjust my muscle memory when switching to Spit from other planes. The workaround definitely tamed the bird but the joystick movement was pretty unnatural to me as I kept re-evaluating if the curves needed more tweaking to emulate the long stick movement. This OCD drove me nuts so I finally bit the bullet and bought the gun-fighter pro to fully enjoy the sim experience. But I'm weird like that, so this is an extremely subjective experience and the opinion. 😄

Yeah, I hear where you're coming from; the only reason I haven't gone the extension route is I love my FFB too much and don't have the courage/money/time/expertise to start hacking at it and stabbing with the soldering iron to make the necessary mods to keep the stick forces corresponding with the revised moment arm of a longer throw.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DD_Fenrir said:

Yeah, I hear where you're coming from; the only reason I haven't gone the extension route is I love my FFB too much and don't have the courage/money/time/expertise to start hacking at it and stabbing with the soldering iron to make the necessary mods to keep the stick forces corresponding with the revised moment arm of a longer throw.

imagine if this baby had the FFB  🙂

image.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

Well, first of all, that extension wouldn't work with my X-56  stick, so I'd need a new, more expensive rig to do it. Right now, I've mounted my stick between my legs where the grip would be, and after watching Philstyle's "Twitchy" video, finally figured out how to trim the stick to move properly. But thanks for the input. I doubt I'll ever get around to those expensive controllers - the most I've spent so far is for the Honeycomb Bravo throttle quad.

• Like 1

-= Gary =-

a.k.a. Florida - Current DCS Beta, A-10C II Warthog, F/A-18C Hornet, F-16, F-14B Tomcat, P-51D, Spitfire, Track IR, Logitech X-56 HOTAS, Logitech rudder pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Throttle Quadrant, Razer Orb Weaver, X-Box controller

:pilotfly:

On 6/4/2021 at 6:12 AM, Florida said:

Well, first of all, that extension wouldn't work with my X-56  stick, so I'd need a new, more expensive rig to do it. Right now, I've mounted my stick between my legs where the grip would be, and after watching Philstyle's "Twitchy" video, finally figured out how to trim the stick to move properly. But thanks for the input. I doubt I'll ever get around to those expensive controllers - the most I've spent so far is for the Honeycomb Bravo throttle quad.

There is an ebay seller who does 3d printed x55 & x56 stick extensions. They are fantastic for their price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223933003333

• Like 1

<VAAF>

Virtual Australian Air-Force :thumbup::joystick::pilotfly: