How did navigation input work in the AJ-37 ?

Snappy

Hi,

out of curiosity, if the navigation data cartridge system was part of the AJS upgrade,

how was the flight planroute actually entered by the pilot in the older AJ-37 version?

Did they enter each waypoint via long/lat coordinates ? I read somewhere (cant remember the source) that that within Sweden  there were a lot of pre-defined waypoints ( like the ones in our kneeboard pages) that could  be entered via codes.

But if so , were those pre-stored in the cK -37 memory or how did those fixes get into the aircraft at all if the option to load data via cartridge didn‘t exist?

kind regards,

Snappy 

I'm pretty sure they had to enter specific waypoints by hand before the introduction of the cartridge, yes.

According to the RC2 manual (p 180), pre-defined waypoints (90xx) are indeed stored in the CK37 memory. That leaves a maximum of 99 pre-defined waypoints. Bas 60/90 was composed of about 70 different airfields. This left some room for routine patrol waypoints over the Baltic Sea.

To make inputting coordinates easier, a set of reference numbers is pre-stored in the computer’s memory. Thereby, a 4 digit code corresponds to inputting 6+6 digits of longitude and latitude as well as connecting to other information regarding that locations, such as TILS channels or runway headings.

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

According to the RC2 manual (p 180), pre-defined waypoints (90xx) are indeed stored in the CK37 memory.

Have you ever found a use for the predined reference points listed in the knee board? 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

46 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Of course yes. Haven't you? 🤨

It's quicker to input 4 digits than going to F10 view and inputing 12 digits.

Well, apart from short hand entry. I meant, is there some specific reason to use those points?  I have no idea where they are just based on looking at the lon/lat on that paper.  Are they recognizable landmarks?

Edited by Machalot

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Oh, I see!

You're not talking about the "Airfields" page, but about the 3 "Reference points" pages:

image.png

No, I've never used those. Like you said, we don't even know what they stand for.

EDIT: maybe they are potential road landing zones?

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

8 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Oh, I see!

You're not talking about the "Airfields" page, but about the 3 "Reference points" pages:

image.png

No, I've never used those. Like you said, we don't even know what they stand for.

EDIT: maybe they are potential road landing zones?

Oh, yeah, I use the airfield codes every time I fly. 

Would be nice to have a description and map of those reference points. Do you know of any tools available to make a custom map using the DCS Caucasus map as the baseline?