Red [(!)] items in F-14 config after reinstallation of Windows10+DCS

Installed everything from scratch a few days ago, Windows 10 and DCS open beta right from the servers. 

Restored config backup by copying in the perfectly working config form a week ago and renamed all USB Device IDs in the filename. F-14 folder, no F-14B, no residue from any other old cruft.

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Saitek Pro Rudders.

In controls config in the F-14 (haven't checked others by now) both "chat" options and "mission restart" are marked (!) in the keyboard section, but what's worse both stick axis are (!) as well. Following another post here I deleted the axis assignment for the slew which I use for DLC control and zoom, and the pitch/roll assignment for the stick, restarted the game -- axis cleared. Re-assigned, everything worked: until I restarted the game: exact same situation again.

The only difference I can think of: if memory serves last installation was en-US locales, this is en-GB. One other user reporting such an issue in the forums had a big union jack in the avatar - locales issue perhaps?

Edited by bumblebomb
typo edit

Hi @bumblebomb. The 3 keyboard red markers are OK: everyone has been having them since a recent update that changed the behaviour of the UI layer category. Just unbind them from the F-14 category: the red flags will disappear and UI Layer bindings will continue to work.

I cannot explain your axis red marker issue, though. Maybe it is linked to the phenomenon described here, but I'm not so sure about this.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I've just found out you can learn more about the conflict by hovering your mouse over the red sig: it should tell you which category is conflicting. See:

image.png

Check if the same conflicting control comes back after restarting the game. Please attach "joystick" .diff.lua files from each category (F-14 as well as the conflicting category).

Edited by Flappie

Ok, this is weird: in axis controls, the red markers on the joystick JOY_Y and JOY_X report on mouse-hover "JOY_Y" resp. "JOY_X", see attached photo.

When I look into the config files (zip attached) I find references to JOY_Y and JOY_X only in the throttle diff, not in the joystick diff at all. 

f-14-pilot-axis-controls.jpg

F-14.zip

This is weird, indeed.

What did you mean by "memory servers" language in your first post? Is it the language set in Windows? If so, what happens if you set it back to en-US?

Have you checked the "General" and "UY layer"categories axis page yet? Please attach both categories input files as ZIPs like you did for the F-14 folder. I'll use Winmerge to compare them with mine.

If we don't find anything funny in your .diff.lua files, the issue could come from the core game files themselves (\DCS World\Config\Input\Aircrafts and also \DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F14\Input). If in doubt, delete these two core folders and run a repair.

I *think* I installed en-US last time and en-GB now, but now perfectly sure. I have a backup of that Windows partition that won't boot anymore but files are accessible. I'll see if I can extract that info.

UI Layer: has no axis page!

I'll try the delete and send the other zip later, not at the machine right now.

• 3 months later...

Update: a lured a friend of mine into DCS, he started on the F-14 and has that and Supercarrier installed, nothing else, installed openbeta literally Two Weeks ago first time, has no slew mod on his Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, no rudders yet and as soon as he puts rudders on the slew it gets marked (!) and stick roll stops working.

Edited by bumblebomb

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...