USS Oriskany Mod (Pre-Development Stages)

Hello all, I, in cooperation with @Hawkeye60, want to make a USS Oriskany mod. We have the team and skill for it, all we need is a good model. In spite of our extended research, we have been unable to find a suitable model. Those of whom who would like to help us bring the Big O to life, please let us know.

31 minutes ago, garyscott said:

Angled deck, or straight through?

I'm guessing  angled deck, I really can't see a straight deck since Magnitude 3 is making one to go with the F4U Corsair that's coming out soon.

Edited by navyBtown

1 hour ago, Callsign said:

We want the angled deck version in order to operate the A-4 and the Hornet.

On the link there are 5 with angled deck.

Also, wasn’t Oriskany decommissioned just over 2 years before the Hornet first flew?

Edited by garyscott

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

12 minutes ago, Callsign said:

Yeah but we both know players will still use the Hornet on it

Lol, fair enough. 🤓

Check that link, there are 5 angle deck Oriskany’s.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

On 3/19/2021 at 9:36 PM, garyscott said:

Lol, fair enough. 🤓

Check that link, there are 5 angle deck Oriskany’s.

Ok only two of those models are actually usable, however, Hawkeye and I have both agreed we will not spend $420 USD on a model. If the community collectively spnsors us to get the model, we will do it. Until then, no dice. 

Edited by Callsign

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, JackPinMV said:

would you consider doing a group fund for the good model/ find a non oriskany model?

Elaborate as to what you mean? As in a group fund where everyone pitches in a little to find an Essex class or Midway class model? If so then yes we are very open to that as we still are yet to find any good model.

Have you guys thought about doing a scratch build?  There is a site that has great blueprint (printed) resources for modeling, https://floatingdrydock.com/MasterPlan.htm  While the site does not have designs for the Oriskany, it does have other Essex class CV's.  I am currently using their plans for my build of the Iwo Jima LPH, and they are quite descriptive, with individual deck plans, hull outlines, etc.

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2021 at 12:00 PM, USSInchon said:

Have you guys thought about doing a scratch build?  There is a site that has great blueprint (printed) resources for modeling, https://floatingdrydock.com/MasterPlan.htm While the site does not have designs for the Oriskany, it does have other Essex class CV's.  I am currently using their plans for my build of the Iwo Jima LPH, and they are quite descriptive, with individual deck plans, hull outlines, etc.

Unfortunately, neither myself nor Hawkeye have the knowldge nor the time to build a model from scratch, so no. However, this Iwo Jima LPH intrigues me.

43 minutes ago, Callsign said:

Unfortunately, neither myself nor Hawkeye have the knowldge nor the time to build a model from scratch, so no. However, this Iwo Jima LPH intrigues me.

Yeah scratch building is very time consuming, especially if you have no time.  It is very slow going but the deck plans helped a lot with the basic hull design.  My plans are to build all of the ships in the class but that may prove more difficult than I thought.  It turns out there is almost no consistency in the the modifications some are not even close.  However, I am hopeful to have something semi functional (but still very wip) by the fall.  I really want to fly a Harrier off a 600' flight deck.

21 minutes ago, USSInchon said:

Yeah scratch building is very time consuming, especially if you have no time.  It is very slow going but the deck plans helped a lot with the basic hull design.  My plans are to build all of the ships in the class but that may prove more difficult than I thought.  It turns out there is almost no consistency in the the modifications some are not even close.  However, I am hopeful to have something semi functional (but still very wip) by the fall.  I really want to fly a Harrier off a 600' flight deck.

How long a model takes to make depends strongly on the skill of the person making it, the resources available, and the size/complexity of the model in question. I modeled a bunker in under a couple of hours. I also modeled a fictional aircraft carrier (based on a Yamato hull), seen here, in a day or so. Now, granted, this was quite some time ago, but with the right kind of resources (and admittedly a few bucks tossed my way), I could model a late Essex Class carrier in a reasonable amount of time.

So this is an example of how I have set up the ship, I have placed each deck reference at its appropriate level, as well as the hull shape pieces as well.  The plans are pretty accurate so far.  As you can see I still have a long way to go, but is coming along much faster than if I just used pictures as a reference (which is how I started).

Rn95Lvl.png

• Like 5

• 10 months later...
On 4/21/2021 at 12:54 PM, USSInchon said:

So this is an example of how I have set up the ship, I have placed each deck reference at its appropriate level, as well as the hull shape pieces as well.  The plans are pretty accurate so far.  As you can see I still have a long way to go, but is coming along much faster than if I just used pictures as a reference (which is how I started).

Rn95Lvl.png

Any updates on this?

I have a sketch up model which after a lot of work, now looks like this!

Low  poly, but it can be improved with some guns and accessories.

Screen-220312-175753.jpg

Screen-220312-175807.jpg

• Like 5

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

On 3/19/2021 at 6:00 PM, navyBtown said:

I'm guessing  angled deck, I really can't see a straight deck since Magnitude 3 is making one to go with the F4U Corsair that's coming out soon.

Thanks for doing the angled Deck.  we really need more cold war era blue assets. I've got a wish list thread called the gulf of tonkin yacht club 

I psting the link here when you up date. 

Edited by upyr1