Kuznetsov not moving on Persion map

Lineaxe

I have been using the Kuznetsov Carrier in my mission. I am using the Persion map and have the carrier located in a large bay just NorthWest of Al Dhafra. Someone suggested using a Sub to find the ocean depth as the Carriers need 15 ft or more to move about. So I have set my waypoints accordingly. The Carrier will move about if it is in the Center of the Bay , but if it is at 20 ft somewhere else it will not start up.   

I would really appreciate some advice on how to get the carrier to move about. Every time I change the ships starting place I have to restart up the mission. This is like 100's of times in order for me to find a path that the carrier will use to move around the bay .  

Also another ship would not move around even if it wasy 6 nm away from the carrier. All this is so confusing to me.   

Edited by Lineaxe

Maybe post the mission so it's easier to see the problem?

It sounds like you're trying to do something like this:

image.png

but there is no path out of the bay that the carrier can pass through. There may not be any place where this works on this map. The docks are all very shallow. You might just have to start the carrier out at sea (a couple of miles from land or so). It also looks like the south portion of the UAE map has very shallow water in general.

EDIT

Interestingly I retested carrier depth and this time they could not move with the depth less than 50 ft. I though this might be exclusive to the Kuznetsov, but the same happened to CVN 71-73.

Edited by Exorcet

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

13 hours ago, Exorcet said:

they could not move with the depth less than 50 ft

A bit on the safe side but correct for RL. Big sea ports should be able to accomodate such ships though. At least these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Jebel_Ali

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mina_Rashid

US SuperCarrier at Dubai Jebel Ali:

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/the-aircraft-carrier-uss-george-washington-cvn-73-pulls-into-port-jebel-ali-5d9757

If not possible in DCS - it should be reported in PG bug section.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Yeah 50 ft sounds reasonable, thought now I wonder why it looked like the minimum value was 15 ft in my earlier test. In any case, the ports are all extremely shallow, I agree it seems like an oversight.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2021 at 5:12 AM, Lineaxe said:

I have been using the Kuznetsov Carrier in my mission. I am using the Persion map and have the carrier located in a large bay just NorthWest of Al Dhafra. Someone suggested using a Sub to find the ocean depth as the Carriers need 15 ft or more to move about.

Well they certainly need more :) . The draft of the Kuznetsov is just short of 10 m(~ 32 ft), while its around 12 m(39 ft) for the Nimitz with variations depending on load.

So adding in a few meters of safety margin, its definately not unreasonable to set a dept of 50 ft as a minimum requirement for them.