F-16 Fuel Flow Drift

Glide

Let's back this up with some actual numbers.  I started with this chart:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-w2O4FzclpOU/VdRtGYfpAkI/AAAAAAAAAUE/FZQEoM2fXjs/s1600/Slide10%2B-%2BG-Load%2BEffects.jpg

threw in some basic flight mechanics and a dash of Prandlt-Glauert, and turned it into this spreadsheet: (UPDATED)

image.png

UPDATE: Found an error in the Mach number transformations.  Updated the figure and text with a corrected spreadsheet.

Note the highlighted cell (I22).  There is more than 3 times as much drag at A-End at Mach 0.758 than at A-Start at Mach 0.344.  This is why acceleration tapers off even though thrust is increasing.

I would be happy to provide the spreadsheet if you want to check my work or play around with it.

Edited by Machalot

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

3 hours ago, Machalot said:

Let's back this up with some actual numbers.  I started with this chart:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-w2O4FzclpOU/VdRtGYfpAkI/AAAAAAAAAUE/FZQEoM2fXjs/s1600/Slide10%2B-%2BG-Load%2BEffects.jpg

threw in some basic flight mechanics and a dash of Prandlt-Glauert, and turned it into this spreadsheet:

image.png

Note the highlighted cell (I22).  The drag increase factor from A-Start at Mach 0.344 to A-End at Mach 0.758 is over 7!  This is why acceleration tapers off even though thrust is increasing.

I would be happy to provide the spreadsheet if you want to check my work or play around with it.

wow! You've put way too much effort into this haha. Great work!

On 3/26/2021 at 3:22 AM, SpaceMonkey037 said:

wow! You've put way too much effort into this haha. Great work!

Ha, yep, too much time and effort. But I became an engineer because I enjoy this kind of stuff!

Just as a point of interest, my very approximate methods in the spreadsheet predict a top speed at MIL of Mach 0.92, but in a test in DCS I was able to reach Mach 0.97.  This is probably because the Prandtl-Glauert rule tends to over-predict drag very near Mach 1. 

I also used the US Standard Atmosphere while DCS uses the International Standard Atmosphere. Not sure whether that makes it predict faster or slower. 

UPDATE: Corrected an error in the Mach transformation formulas for the lift and drag cofficients, and now the predicted max speed at MIL is Mach 0.96, while DCS gives a max speed of Mach 0.97.  Pretty good for a back-of-the-envelope calculation!

Edited by Machalot

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."