Foggy mission impossible landing

Sylosis

I can't say which mission, maybe mission 8, but there is one with a ton of fog on ground level, which almost looks like clouds at 0 ft. It is so dense you don't see 1 foot in front of you. And it really is at 0ft, so no need to hope for better visibility as you drop altitude. 

What is the expectation when it comes to landing? Cause, it's essentially impossible. For this campaign, you selected an airport that doesn't have TACAN, so we can't navigate with instruments. So we have no instruments, no visibility, no runway lights. 

I don't mind a challenge, but at some point it needs to make some sense and be close to feasible. Flew the mission 3 times and I crashed every time. I am certain I wouldn't be able to land even if I'd try 10 more times. Tried flying over the airport to find it and can't even see it.

I can't skip the mission, cause the campaign requires 100 result to go to next mission, which requires me to land.

I'm curious to read what was the thought process when doing this?

Edited by Sylosis

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

Hi there, it is totally possible to land. Like anytime flying in fog, you have higher visibility looking down and not forward, the airport is visible through the thin layer of fog from high up on my system. Make a circuit, make a pass, like a touch and go to make sure you have your visual references right, go up and keep a tight circuit, you should be able to see the airport during your circuit. line up and if it looks right land, if it doesn't rinse and repeat. TACAN won't help you landing, also, I can't do anything about runway lights in DCS. If you are on OB, I'll have to review the weather in 2.7 anyway and I'll introduce a skip mission feature in that update. Also, another option would be to eject in the vicinity of the airport. Once you hit the ground you should get a pass. 

Cheers, 

Sorel   

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

The weather for that mission will be reviewed with the 2.7 update, it will still be foggy but with over 3000ft visibility and runway lights on. Also that will be the first mission in the campaign where the mobile TACAN units are introduced and coming online. I believe that for that particular mission you have to be alive and landed somewhere along with the rest of the objectives. 

Cheers, 

Sorel  

• Thanks 1