Snake-Eyes

Caldera

Hey All,

For what purpose would the MK-82AIR bomb be used for in DCS?

I have been trying to learn how to deploy them mostly against moving convoys, attacking from low altitude.  They can be difficult to deploy using CCIP as the targeting computer seems to want a steeper dive angle than is possible from low altitude.  I end up releasing while pulling up and lobbing them in. 

Also, I am really exposed to ground fire.  

Caldera

Mk-82 High drag (Snake-eye and AIR) are used for low (below 1000ft AGL) and fast attacks on a larger area. As in, bomb a runway, bomb a road or an unarmed convoy.

The point of high drag is to give you enough time to get out of the blast radius, so if you do a diving attack or attack from high up, you can just use low drag bombs as aiming will be easier.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 4:48 AM, Caldera said:

Hey All,

You would use them whenever flying high would put you in greater danger (SAM´s, Enemy Fighter) than flying low.

The idea was that flying low would hide you from detection either visual or by Radar and thus catching your Target by surprise. This works to some xtend in DCS as well. 

The downside is that you need to have a pretty good idea of where your Target is and that you better not linger around the target too long.

• Like 2

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

Thanks Guys,

11 hours ago, =52d= Skip said:

The downside is that you need to have a pretty good idea of where your Target is and that you better not linger around the target too long.

Yes, I need  to have the TGP locked-on and the SPI set miles out or my chances of missing are 110%.  

I have to wonder "in DCS" is there a wake up timer or something like that?  Where for example the first strike may be a surprise, but  the second one they know that you are coming.  If that is true I have not noticed it occurring.  I miss allot, so any thing is possible.

On 3/22/2021 at 4:10 AM, Vakarian said:

Mk-82 High drag (Snake-eye and AIR) are used for low (below 1000ft AGL) and fast attacks on a larger area. As in, bomb a runway, bomb a road or an unarmed convoy.

A fast moving convoy was what I am training for.  The Hoggit training server likes to use them.  Those vehicles stop for nothing and simply drive around (or over) fallen comrads.  So putting a APKWS into the lead vehicle has zero effect on the convoy.

I guess I need to try and crater a runway.  I did not know that was possible.

Caldera

On 3/21/2021 at 8:48 PM, Caldera said:

Hey All,

I have been trying to learn how to deploy them mostly against moving convoys, attacking from low altitude.  They can be difficult to deploy using CCIP as the targeting computer seems to want a steeper dive angle than is possible from low altitude.  I end up releasing while pulling up and lobbing them in. 

Also, I am really exposed to ground fire.  

Caldera

Low level, terrain following attacks on stationary targets. SAM sites, airbase parking/taxiways/runways, fuel depots, etc, etc. Without scripting magic, this can be real hard because SA-15, SA-19, and Mr. Shilka know exactly where you are, even when they shouldn't.

• Like 1

Terrain masking is working - Tree masking not so much. So flying low is indeed avoiding detection to some extend.

As you can see there are plenty of SAMs around that mostly did not bother me. The Target, an SA-6 site defended by 4xSA-15 and 4xShilka, became only active at 2nm.

Timestamps in the description, just in case 😉

• Like 1

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

On 3/23/2021 at 10:22 AM, Caldera said:

Yes, I need  to have the TGP locked-on and the SPI set miles out or my chances of missing are 110%.

Have you tried employing on an attack run of this type - with your HUD SOI, slew the TDC over your target visually, TMS forward long (SPI should read IFFCC).  It's more "old school" than TGP SPI - but allows for quick attack runs, especially of this type (at least it does for me).  It's not as precise as TGP SPI, but close enough for an attack profile of this type.  Anyways, figured I'd throw that out there - might be a new tactic for you to try/practice.  (Of course, you can also use the HMCS to quickly slew the TGP to your ground target and adjust it).

Cheers,

Ziptie

Edited by Ziptie
  • Like 1

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

20 hours ago, =52d= Skip said:

Terrain masking is working - Tree masking not so much. So flying low is indeed avoiding detection to some extend.

Terrain 100% does the trick, but, yes, trees don't. That's usually the problem that I run into on the (admittedly rare) occasion I run 82AIRs.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey All,

After more practice, these MK-82AIR's I have decided have almost no advantage in the game other than for the purpose of role playing, I guess.   

The aircraft safe blast radius for GBU-12's is about 250 feet, I am guessing it is the same for MK-82's and MK-82AIR's.  I do not think shock wave reflection or shrapnel is modeled.  That makes it pretty easy to not frag your own aircraft with any of the 500 lbm bombs. 

Usually with MK-82's, especially if I am taking ground fire, I just stay as fast as I can.  I have little trouble even if my swoop is below that AGL value.

The CCIP fall line for MK-82's allows for a much steeper dive and for some reason the MK-82AIR requires you to be in only a very shallow dive and pretty darn low to the ground.  It is more difficult to be accurate.  The CCIP fall line stays dotted until practically tree top level (Reminds me of a CBU).  This causes the pipper to be crossing the target at a much faster rate and as a result that makes it harder to time the release. 

You can release the MK-82's using the same shallow dive profile as a MK-82AIR if you want to and virtually at the same altitude.  But, the MK-82AIR's can not be released accurately from a steeper dive as you can with a MK-82.  

The CCIP pipper is accurate for the release point with either bomb.

All this is considering that a 500 lbm bomb has to hit with in about 15 feet to kill a tank.

Why would the CCIP require this dive profile?                                             Baffles me...

Maybe I just got too proficient using MK-82's?                                            The MK-82AIR's seem clunky in comparison...

They are designed in the game to be released primarily CCRP?                No clue...

Releasing at 50 feet AGL?                                                                              George, watch out for that tree...

I am just missing something?                                                                         No comment...

Anyone else have this opinion?

Caldera

Edited by Caldera