GBU-38 Contact Fuze

Mudhen1

Would like to ask ED to fix/add the contact fuze to the GBU-38, I've seen this thing many times before, I'll attach a picture so you can actually see it. (I'm not sure if that's the right name, if not please correct me)

tumblr_owfj5nzVLw1rwfgqno1_1280.png

US_Navy_061015-N-2970T-006_Marines_assigned_to_Marine_Attack_Squadron_Three_One_One_(VMA-311)_lo.jpg.9b56dc37365b07e8f954b5b68d754cdb.jpg

tumblr_owhfzeMZju1rwfgqno1_1280.png

• Like 2

None of those are contact fuses, the fuse for a JDAM is actually in the tail kit, not the nose. The bottom picture is just a nose cap to help it penetrate “slightly” hardened structures, the middle one I’m not sure, other than it just looks again like a simple nose cap, the top one is a completely different fuse, probably a DSU-33 (proximity fuse). In all of these cases, its only graphical in DCS, right now none of these fuses or nose caps really matter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KlarSnow said:

None of those are contact fuses, the fuse for a JDAM is actually in the tail kit, not the nose. The bottom picture is just a nose cap to help it penetrate “slightly” hardened structures, the middle one I’m not sure, other than it just looks again like a simple nose cap, the top one is a completely different fuse, probably a DSU-33 (proximity fuse). In all of these cases, its only graphical in DCS, right now none of these fuses or nose caps really matter.

Anyways, wouldn't that look better/realistic? I don't think that I've ever seen any GBU-38s without the "cap". Thanks for explaining.

unnamed (1).jpg

sfu-gbu-38.jpg

Theres nothing "technically wrong" with having the M904/5 Fuze (old mechanical one in DCS right now) on the front of a JDAM, its just not done IRL cause thats an old fuze and would serve no real purpose than as a backup to the electronic programmable fuze that is in the tailkit, which already has a backup fuze setting in it that you set with a screwdriver in case the programmable part fails.

The bulb nose with the DSU-33 would serve no purpose other than graphical in DCS until DCS starts to model other weaponeering and true programmable fuzes. We don't really have any of that right now so it doesnt really matter tbh. You can petition ED to make the different graphics all you want, sure it should have them at some point, but as of right now there would be no in game effect other than how it looks.

Would be neat to have, doesnt really affect gameplay though so at least for me its not all that important (right now)

• Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 12:17 AM, KlarSnow said:

Theres nothing "technically wrong" with having the M904/5 Fuze (old mechanical one in DCS right now) on the front of a JDAM, its just not done IRL cause thats an old fuze and would serve no real purpose than as a backup to the electronic programmable fuze that is in the tailkit, which already has a backup fuze setting in it that you set with a screwdriver in case the programmable part fails.

The bulb nose with the DSU-33 would serve no purpose other than graphical in DCS until DCS starts to model other weaponeering and true programmable fuzes. We don't really have any of that right now so it doesnt really matter tbh. You can petition ED to make the different graphics all you want, sure it should have them at some point, but as of right now there would be no in game effect other than how it looks.

The different noses are already present in the modelviewer; which includes the M904, DSU-33, 3 pointed caps (1 long, 1 like in the 3rd image, and 1 shorter one) and no cap at all.

As you said though, they're only graphical and don't really do anything - we're going to need higher fidelity weapons modelling (to facilitate airbursting effects, and penetration effects using the correct nosecap) and fuze modelling before they'll make a difference.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I wish they did matter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 12:25 AM, prichardgs said:

I wish they did matter!

Oh I'm sure everybody does - nevertheless the fuses are present on the model already - they're just not implemented.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 10 months later...