F/A-18C Kneeboard Suite - Updated 20 December 2023

Minsky

35 minutes ago, Minsky said:

I'm thinking of changing it to "FCS or CHKLST".
"As desired" will probably be too vague.

What do you think?

It already reads CHKLIST and I personally would leave it like that,, 
That is how it was recommended in the era of the type of aircraft. 

I wouldnt want to outsmart the system... 
You can ask yourself how will I know the actual flap position or ask yourself.. Where am I going to read the checklist from on downwind?

On modern carrier aircraft carriers that allow PLM all flight controls incl high lift devices as flaps/flapperons are in continuous movement... no pilot action required.. So I would say dont try to be smarter then the system, although some guys surely have good reason to bring up the FCS... it is not procedural so lets stick with CHKLIST I would say;) 

But your baby man 😉

Edited by Pieterras

Personally I'd go with FCS because you need to verify flap position, and images of real pilots show them using FCS not CHKLST, you can temporarily check your checklist any point before you're in the break, but it's not a big deal either way, and it is true it's up to pilot discretion.

Also I noticed you write AW: After Wires but it is in fact All the Way

Pdd0AZS.png

https://www.navyair.com/LSO_NATOPS_Manual.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

On 4/30/2021 at 11:47 PM, MARLAN_ said:

Also I noticed you write AW: After Wires but it is in fact All the Way

Indeed! Lazy me just copied this page from ED's manual without proof-reading. 😄  Will be fixed, as well as the "LNF / Landed nose first" line, thanks!

On 4/30/2021 at 11:47 PM, MARLAN_ said:

Personally I'd go with FCS because you need to verify flap position, and images of real pilots show them using FCS not CHKLST, you can temporarily check your checklist any point before you're in the break, but it's not a big deal either way, and it is true it's up to pilot discretion.

"HAIL-R checks" and "Approach" are two separate parts of the kneeboard. The CHKLST page is needed to perform HAIL-R on inbound (landing weight). After that, you are free to change it to FCS, radar, FPAS or whatever else you think will be more useful during the approach. We don't have room to explain this, so it's implied.

But nowhere in NATOPS it says that you need to verify the actual flap position using the FCS page during normal landing. The part you quoted (2.8.4.3) only describes how the system works. So you won't violate anything by skipping this check 🙂

Edited by Minsky
  • Like 1

Dima | My DCS uploads

• Minsky changed the title to F/A-18C Kneeboard Suite - Updated 02 May 2021

Yea good points!

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 2:01 PM, MARLAN_ said:

Hey, noticed there is a small error on your lat/lon/grid examples window.

It says it is DD*MM.mm' and DD*MM.mmmm' respectively but the examples are DD*MM'SS" and DD*MM'SS.ss" respectively.

While looking at it I also noticed it doesn't show the two different modes the Hornet can take, but adding in both modes wouldn't fit the square, so I drew up a really quick mock-up.

dYE74wW.png

Sorry, I completely forgot to respond to that message.

Thanks for pointing this out! Will certainly be fixed.

I'm gonna rework the whole block by getting rid of the longitudes. Hopefully, this will give me enough space to properly explain different formats. And if that doesn't work, I will fall back to your mockup, as I really like how you highlighted the precise parts.

EDIT #1: It worked:

Screenshot - Sat 15 May , 17_26_56.png

EDIT #2: Uploaded the new version. First post updated. @MARLAN_ thanks again!

Edited by Minsky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dima | My DCS uploads

• Minsky changed the title to F/A-18C Kneeboard Suite - Updated 16 May 2021

@Minsky Great stuff mate! 

Are you planning on correcting the F/A-18C Kneeboard Suite - CASE I/II/III Charts, LSO Grades - Updated 02 May 2021?

Initial 3nm needs changing to Initial 5nm.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

3 hours ago, Gierasimov said:

@Minsky Great stuff mate! 

Are you planning on correcting the F/A-18C Kneeboard Suite - CASE I/II/III Charts, LSO Grades - Updated 02 May 2021?

Initial 3nm needs changing to Initial 5nm.

You're probably confusing Initial with Overhead.

Overhead is already at 5 nm, and Initial is correct as is (3 nm).

Screenshot - Mon 17 May , 18_47_26.png

• Like 1

Dima | My DCS uploads

2 hours ago, Minsky said:

You're probably confusing Initial with Overhead.

Overhead is already at 5 nm, and Initial is correct as is (3 nm).

Screenshot - Mon 17 May , 18_47_26.png

Yeah, probably, I failed to spot this line, I usually focus on graphics and also I got used to the overhead at 3nm hence, in fact I thought overhead = initial. My bad!

Thanks! 

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

• Minsky changed the title to F/A-18C Kneeboard Suite - Updated 21 May 2021

Hi there!

One thing I would like to point out: the BLEED AIR KNOB 360° CYCLE is only necessary if you perform the fire test. If you skip it, the L(R) BLD OFF caution which would require a BLEED AIR KNOB cycle automatically disappears in the left DDI as soon as the engine is running.

If you start the engine with the gound electrical power on and have both the DDIs on before engine start, it is even more evident.

I though I would tell you since you might want to save space at least in the quick startup procedure.

Edited by Xamik75
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Xamik75 said:

One thing I would like to point out: the BLEED AIR KNOB 360° CYCLE is only necessary if you perform the fire test. If you skip it, the L(R) BLD OFF caution which would require a BLEED AIR KNOB cycle automatically disappears in the left DDI as soon as the engine is running.

If you start the engine with the gound electrical power on and have both the DDIs on before engine start, it is even more evident.

I though I would tell you since you might want to save space at least in the quick startup procedure.

Well spotted!

I will move it into optional checks, and remove from the Quickstart page. Thanks!

Screenshot - Tue 25 May , 16_39_09.png

UPD: done and uploaded.

Edited by Minsky
  • Like 5

Dima | My DCS uploads

• Minsky changed the title to F/A-18C Kneeboard Suite - Updated 25 May 2021
  • Minsky changed the title to F/A-18C Kneeboard Suite - Updated 06 June 2021
44 minutes ago, Xamik75 said:

Hi again! 🙂

For catapult launches, I'd add that if the gross weight is 45000lbs and more, MAX power (aka AB) is required. Written in the NATOPS... 😉 

Hi!

It's already there: both in the checklist, and in the departure kneeboards:

Spoiler

Screenshot - Sun 06 Jun , 15_22_15.png

Screenshot - Sun 06 Jun , 15_22_29.png

While the NATOPS doesn't explicitly say what power should be used between 44,001 and 44,999 lbs, I picked the lesser value for safety reasons.

Screenshot - Sun 06 Jun , 15_31_32.png

• Like 1

Dima | My DCS uploads

• 4 weeks later...

These are brilliant, thanks for all the work that's gone into this. I've also seen you A10C ones, are you planning on doing similar for F16/Huey? I just love the format and style and for some OCD reason would really like to have the same style for all the modules.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Minsky: a few new Threat/RWR codes have been added.

The full table is available here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1p77yaLQJaUMbAIKJDKX5iMN5N5qm_Qqt_dJNyJjLQtw/edit#gid=0

Edited by AstonMartinDBS
  • Thanks 1

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

OB 2.7.4.9632 update

Part 1 (Checklists):

- Checklist: HMD align added.
- Ordnance list: minor enhancements.

Part 3 (RWR):

- NASAMS added. This new air defence system consists of three vehicles: an AN/MPQ-64F1 search radar, a command vehicle, and a launcher (loaded with six AIM-120C or six AIM-120B missiles). While short in range (up to 6 nm), the "C" variant can reach you at 35000 feet, and the "B" launcher is deadly below 28000 feet. Both missiles are resistant to chaff, and NASAMS is exceptionally good at shooting down multiple HARMs.
- ST-68U "Tin Shield" search radar added (part of the upcoming SA-5 Gammon, aka S-200).
- CVN-75 Harry S. Truman added properly.

All links and PDFs are in the first post.

Edited by Minsky
  • Thanks 6

Dima | My DCS uploads

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Minsky, this is absolutely a great work! 👍

• Thanks 1
  • PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this looks awesome! I am supernew, still learning to use the radar in BVR properly so please don't shoot me for the stupid questions 🙂

I downloaded 3 zips, all containing a hornet folder, created a KNEEBOARD directory and copied the Hornet folders there and there is now 1 fFA-18C_hornet folder with 24 files. Is that correct?

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong